Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Manufacturer questions I always wanted answered

Eeyore wrote:
"William R. Walsh" wrote:

Hi!

It's getting really bad in some cases: for example a lot of $899 HP
printers that are just a year or three old do not have ANY print
drivers available from HP for the latest 64-bit XP.

Now that is truly odd. I've found that HP has usually done a good job of
providing updated drivers for many older products.

Really ?

Easily a decade ago I recall getting a DJ500C ? and it wouldn't install on WFWG
it was 'unsupported' as a 'network printer'.

Is that a control-panel-less printer? If not, more or less all printers
will run on a whole host of other-model drivers. If a driver isnt
availble I just pick something else with the same type of print, ie
same resolution and same print technology (inkjet/dm/daisy/laser etc)
and same manufacturer. The differences tend to lie in very minor points
that arent a problem in practice.

NT