Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Manufacturer questions I always wanted answered

" wrote:

8- Manufactures CANNOT by law give schematics or service information to
customers in the users guide or manual. The simple fact of putting a
schematic in the OWNERS manual will keep it from being UL certified for
sale in the USA. Even the European standards for the low voltage
directive include a clause of reasonable misuse or abuse. I would say
that putting a schematic in the users manual would make the user think
they can take the unit apart no matter what warnings are in the manual
or on the unit. I have yet to find any manufacture that will not sell
at reasonable cost to a qualified servicer the service information,
some even provide them for free, Hitachi for one. Realize that many
newer units have boards and proprietary parts that should not be
serviced in the field due to the cost of the equipment and skill levels
required which most shops do not want to afford.

The schematics were shipped inside the TV for decades. All UL cares
about is if the set will catch on fire, implode, or tip over. They test
for any reasonable safety fault, nothing more. Be sure not to forget
their high testing fees, of course.

Have you ever met a real, live UL inspector? I have, and all they
were worried about was the paperwork process used by my employer.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida