Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Manufacturer questions I always wanted answered

"JW" wrote in message
On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 14:29:16 +0100 Eeyore
wrote in Message id:
:

I've *never* see a schematic in an owner's manual ever !

I did. Once. It was a 13" Goldstar purchased around 1984 or so. Of course
the thing lasted till the CRT finaly faded out (14 years!)

Had Panasonic B&W TV in 1970 and a Montgomery Ward 5" B&W ac/dc in mid/late
1980s. Japan and Taiwan were of questionable quality at the times and very
doubtful service centers would have had schematics. Both also had o-scope
wave forms and parts lists.. Had to liquidate the Panasonic long before it
had problems. The 5" ended up being a good unit. It lasted around 10years
which seems good for its use and relative price at the time.

Wouldn't make much sense to send a printed manual with each unit going to
countries with Internet access, now.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

JVC was part of a small consortium that bought the rights to Ampex's
cartridge video tape design when they decided not to enter the consumer
video tape market. IIRC, they paid a measly $10,000 for everything.

I believe RCA sold all its TV patents in the 1950s or early 1960s for
only $500,000 per Japanese company. On the other hand, IBM not only
charged royalties based on sales but also required Japanese companies
to give it rights to any new inventions even remotely based on its
original patents.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 15 Oct 2006 04:51:42 -0700, put finger to
keyboard and composed:

1)Is Sharp Malaysian or Japanese?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharp_Electronics

"Sharp Corporation (Shapu Kabushiki-gaisha) is a Japanese electronics
manufacturer, founded in 1912. It takes its name from one of its
founder's first inventions, the Ever-Ready Sharp mechanical pencil,
which was invented by Tokuji Hayakawa in 1915."

3)When the owner of Sony died around 1990-3 why did the accountant get
the corporation?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony#History

"In 1945, after World War II, Masaru Ibuka started a radio repair shop
in a bombed-out building in Tokyo. The next year he was joined by his
colleague Akio Morita, and they founded a company called Tokyo Tsushin
Kogyo K.K., which translates in English to Tokyo Telecommunications
Engineering Corporation."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akio_Morita

"Akio Morita (Morita Akio, January 26, 1921 in Nagoya, Japan – October
3, 1999 in Tokyo) was a co-founder of Sony Corporation."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masaru_Ibuka

"Masaru Ibuka (Ibuka Masaru, April 11, 1908 in Nikko City, Japan –
December 19, 1997 in Tokyo) was a Japanese electronics industrialist.
He co-founded what is now Sony."

6)I noticed many JVC products have Panasonic parts what is the
relationship?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JVC

"JVC was founded in 1927 as "The Victor Company of Japan" as a
subsidiary of the United States' leading phonograph and record
company, the Victor Talking Machine Company. In 1929 majority
ownership was transferred to RCA-Victor. In the 1930s JVC produced
phonographs and records, but in 1932 JVC started producing radios, and
in 1939 they introduced Japan's first TV. JVC severed relations with
its foreign partners during World War II, and since 1953, JVC has been
owned by Matsu****a, who holds a majority stake in the company."

7)Who invented VHS? Panasonic or JVC? or is it that JVC invented the
tape and Panasonic the machine?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vhs

"The Video Home System, better known by its abbreviation VHS, is a
recording and playing standard for video cassette recorders (VCRs),
developed by Victor Company of Japan, Limited, aka JVC, and launched
in September 1976."

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that Sony quality absolutely
sucks and that they have been whoring out their name on cheap junk for
over a decade and the consumer still hasn't figured it out.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
ps.com...

I believe RCA sold all its TV patents in the 1950s or early 1960s for
only $500,000 per Japanese company. On the other hand, IBM not only
charged royalties based on sales but also required Japanese companies
to give it rights to any new inventions even remotely based on its
original patents.

When did RCA get asset stripped?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I disagree. I work for a dealer that sells Sony, among others and I run the
shop. I see rather high reliability on the products that we sell, similar
to other higher end brands.

They have their problems, but still among the best in terms of product and
support.

Leonard
wrote in message
ps.com...
I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that Sony quality absolutely
sucks and that they have been whoring out their name on cheap junk for
over a decade and the consumer still hasn't figured it out.

It has removed 11725 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Questions, questions... Sailaway Woodworking 7 March 14th 06 10:03 PM
FAQ: Answering questions emailed direct to 'editor' Phil Addison UK diy 21 January 29th 06 10:38 PM
Sump Pump questions John Home Repair 7 January 5th 06 12:25 AM
TS Setup/alignment questions Mike W. Woodworking 43 March 31st 05 12:21 AM
PEX Fresh Water system/repipe questions -l ong BobK207 Home Repair 1 March 13th 05 10:37 PM