Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Varmint Control

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 17:17:13 -0400, PeterD wrote:

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 11:08:32 -0700, Capt. Cave Man
wrote:

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 09:06:35 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

PeterD wrote:

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 17:53:09 -0700, Capt. Cave Man
wrote:

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 11:57:20 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

Ewwwwwh!

I can just see how SWMBO will react to paint-ball marks on the walls
:-(

It isn't paint, idiot. It is 100% water soluble, non-toxic media.

Geeze, who gave a 12 year old a computer?

All 48 of his attempts at a personality don't add up to a 12 year
old.

All of your attempts at doing math, especially in this manner, proves
that you are about as retarded as Roy is.

Both of you idiots sport a mental age that proves that numerical age is
not what makes a man a man.

And some day, you'll be a man...

What part of "both of you idiots" did you not get?

Oh... that's right... mental midgets do not "get" much of anything that
doesn't involve their hand jacking their lower or upper nib.

So, since all you have to offer the world is mental or physical
masturbation, why don't you simply go jump off a ****ing bridge and join
MJ for tea?
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Capt. Cave Man wrote:
On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 20:34:47 -0400, "Tom Del Rosso"
wrote:

Sounds like a perfect application for a LASER.

Maybe a 100W YAG would do it.

The 200 mW pointers that there are instructions for making out there
will burn hair and flesh. They would feel it, no problem.

Lighting off 100W lasers in an open, public area, is likely not even
legal in most cities.

I should have put a winky there, or if I'd said 1000W it would have been
more obvious.

zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Ever heard of 'Turpentining an egg sucking dog'? Farmers didn't
want to kill stray dogs hanging around their property, so they would
soak a corn cob in turpentine. When the dog bothered their chickens
they would grab the dog by the tail, and drag the cob across the
dog's ass. The stiff cob would scratch the tender skin, and the
turpentine would burn like hell, so the dog took off, never to return.

Too bad we can't use it on ignorant Usenet trolls.

My father called it "giving a dog a turpentine hind". He was born in 1912
on a PA farm. I never heard anyone else mention it until now. He said
"corn cob or wire brush".

zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Tom Del Rosso wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Ever heard of 'Turpentining an egg sucking dog'? Farmers didn't
want to kill stray dogs hanging around their property, so they would
soak a corn cob in turpentine. When the dog bothered their chickens
they would grab the dog by the tail, and drag the cob across the
dog's ass. The stiff cob would scratch the tender skin, and the
turpentine would burn like hell, so the dog took off, never to return.

Too bad we can't use it on ignorant Usenet trolls.

My father called it "giving a dog a turpentine hind". He was born in 1912
on a PA farm. I never heard anyone else mention it until now. He said
"corn cob or wire brush".

I'll buy the turpentine & wire brush, if you'll hold dimbulb.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
Is there such a thing as an air rifle that shoots bird-shot?

We're getting over-run with rabbits, some kind of chipmunk-looking
thingy and a raccoon greeted me on the patio a few days ago... trying
to come in the doggie door!!

If I fired a shot gun in this neighborhood the resulting echo from the
surrounding hills would bring the cops in five seconds, plus knock
holes in fences :-(

Potato cannon anyone?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpAJOPzKK-M

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

Does your mom know you are using her computer for this stuff?
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

And wearing her clothes, again!

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"RogerN" wrote in message

snip

Yes, Gamo now makes an air shotgun. Shoots pellets or shot shells at 750
fps.

http://www.cabelas.com/hprod-1/0040376.shtml

Other air rifles of interest might be the Gamo varmint hunter or the
whisper (a muffled air rifle).

If you want more serious air rifle power:
http://www.quackenbushairguns.com/bandit_1.html

I live out of city limits and occasionally have varmint (skunks, raccoons,
possums, etc.) problems. I've been considering using a wireless camera,
radio control, and some kind of "gun" to chase them away. I have a lot of
R/C equipment, might try a CO2 pistol mounted to R/C car.

So far all I've done is use a wireless network camera in the car port. We
had skunks coming up to steal the cat food. I shot at a skunk with a 22,
missed, the skunk ran away, came back less than a minute later. Shot at
it again, missed, found out the red dot sight was out of adjustment.
Anyway, the skunk kept coming back until I shot it. I monitored the
camera from my PC and usually cracking the door open slowly didn't scare
off the varmint.

Back to the other solutions. You can mount a camera to a rifle scope or
even get IR laser sights that can only be seen with a camera or night
vision equipment. There are some videos on youtube of cameras on rifle
scopes and laser sights being used to shoot rats in the dark and so forth.
Anyway, the problem seems to be that the varmints run when I come around
and they come back as soon as I'm back inside. So to me the solution
seems to be some sort of R/C vehicle that can fire and be operated
remotely using a wireless camera and R/C equipment. Removing the IR
filter from the camera plus IR illumination gives it the ability to
operate in the dark.

For the R/C camera stuff search for FPV (first person view) R/C (they
drive cars, fly planes, and heli's this way). Searching for camera to
rifle scope will lead to some interesting varmint control night vision
solutions on youtube.

I still haven't decided on the "gun", I would like to be able to choose
the power at time of firing, maybe a solenoid fired air rifle and adjust
the valve ON time, time to get a chronograph :-) The idea is if a "scare"
shot doesn't keep them away, turn up the power until they get the point.

RogerN

Found some videos

Camera using night vision for shooting rats

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxMlR...eature=related

Here's a video with a camera mounted on a 4X4 R/C monster truck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKiSS...eature=related

And a radio control tank that shoots airsoft pellets

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwuV0RGpnjA

Need a bigger tank?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvE6Ku4W_4Q

Combine R/C model tank, working gun (air pistol?), wireless camera, and an
IR laser pointer to make fun and effective varmint control. :-)

Or for lower cost, I've gotten good results with at wireless camera and a
rifle. Usually gently opening the door and sticking the gun out doesn't
scare off the varmints.

RogerN

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"RogerN" wrote in message
m...

"RogerN" wrote in message

[...]

Sent too soon, found some even more interesting.

R/C machine gun for those stubborn varmints

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra03l...eature=related

USB Missle launcher with webcam, doesn't appear effective but the idea is
similar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLPVQ...eature=related

USB gun turret with R/C servos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCOJA6ps-7s&NR=1

Cat hunting with R/C tank with camera

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elpA1...eature=related

Tank with camera firing at targets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Tsgq...eature=related

RogerN

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 20:51:00 +0100, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message , Ken Fowler
writes

At Camp Wolfboro Boy Scout Camp two years ago, they tried discouraging a
bear from raiding the camp. You can't legally shoot them because it is
Forest Service land. They got permission from the FS to use paint balls.
Paint balls weren't very effective until they tried freezing them first -
the balls, not the bears. Scouts on the staff had some fun and the bears
got the message.
Ken Fowler, KO6NO
--

What sort of scout camp has facilities for freezing? Do they also have
feather beds, and electric or gas cookers? They sound like a right load

Crikey! Another UK fairy ;-)

It's been 55 years since I was a Scout. Even then our camp (tents)
had a central lodge as a meeting place and had a cafeteria-sized
kitchen, with refrigerators and freezers. And we had a swimming
pool... rivers and creeks in West Virginia tend to have Water
Moccasins (poisonous snake :-(

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Why are Europeons so ignorant?
They think they know it all about the U.S.A.
But never have bothered to visit

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

In message , Jim Thompson
writes
wrote:

[...]

OK, OK. If US scouts have poisonous water snakes to contend with, then I
suppose that they do deserve a bit of luxury as some sort of
compensation. I'll excuse them.
--
Ian
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Jim Thompson wrote:

It's been 55 years since I was a Scout. Even then our camp (tents)
had a central lodge as a meeting place and had a cafeteria-sized
kitchen, with refrigerators and freezers. And we had a swimming
pool... rivers and creeks in West Virginia tend to have Water
Moccasins (poisonous snake :-(

I guess that they took it easy on the city boys from Huntington. When
I was in the Boy Scouts, 45 years ago, we did our own cooking. The camp
did have a kitchen and dining room but it was only for use by the camp
staff. All of the scouts did their own cooking. There was a freezer
at the camp that we could use but it was not convenient since it was
not located at our camp site. We did haul ice from the freezer for
ice boxes. They did build a swimming pool there while I was a scout but
we had used the Hughes river for swimming without ever having a snake bite.
I assume that they had used the river for many decades without incident.

A web site for the camp: http://www.allohak.org/campk.html

Dan
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 13:40:39 -0700, Dan Coby
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

It's been 55 years since I was a Scout. Even then our camp (tents)
had a central lodge as a meeting place and had a cafeteria-sized
kitchen, with refrigerators and freezers. And we had a swimming
pool... rivers and creeks in West Virginia tend to have Water
Moccasins (poisonous snake :-(

I guess that they took it easy on the city boys from Huntington. When
I was in the Boy Scouts, 45 years ago, we did our own cooking.

Same here, except for meetings of the whole camp site ("something"
Sulphur Springs... HUGE). I always cooked... to avoid washing dishes
;-)

The camp
did have a kitchen and dining room but it was only for use by the camp
staff. All of the scouts did their own cooking. There was a freezer
at the camp that we could use but it was not convenient since it was
not located at our camp site. We did haul ice from the freezer for
ice boxes. They did build a swimming pool there while I was a scout but
we had used the Hughes river for swimming without ever having a snake bite.
I assume that they had used the river for many decades without incident.

A web site for the camp: http://www.allohak.org/campk.html

Dan

I don't think any large rivers were prone to water moccasins... just
slow "cricks" and "runs" ;-)

Are you still in Parkersburg? I fled WV 51 years ago ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Gourmet Puzzles:

What part of the fish are the "sticks"?

Likewise where are the chicken "fingers" located?
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Jim Thompson wrote:

I don't think any large rivers were prone to water moccasins... just
slow "cricks" and "runs" ;-)

We did have the occasional snake swim by. I think that the main reason
for building the swimming pool had to do with the lack of transparency
in the river water. If for some reason it had been necessary to find
someone beneath the surface, it would have been difficult. They were
very insistent about using the 'buddy' system when we swam in the river.

Are you still in Parkersburg? I fled WV 51 years ago ;-)

No. I never did live in Parkersburg. I was born in Morgantown and I
grew up in Ripley (midway between Parkersburg and Charleston). I have
lived in southern California for the past 31 years.

Dan
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 14:58:35 -0700, Dan Coby
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

I don't think any large rivers were prone to water moccasins... just
slow "cricks" and "runs" ;-)

We did have the occasional snake swim by. I think that the main reason
for building the swimming pool had to do with the lack of transparency
in the river water. If for some reason it had been necessary to find
someone beneath the surface, it would have been difficult. They were
very insistent about using the 'buddy' system when we swam in the river.

Are you still in Parkersburg? I fled WV 51 years ago ;-)

No. I never did live in Parkersburg. I was born in Morgantown and I
grew up in Ripley (midway between Parkersburg and Charleston). I have
lived in southern California for the past 31 years.

Dan

Aha! A fellow escapee. I grew up in Huntington. My grandparents
were in Riverton (Pendleton County) and Philippi (Barbour County).
I've been in AZ since graduation from MIT in 1962.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Gourmet Puzzles:

What part of the fish are the "sticks"?

Likewise where are the chicken "fingers" located?

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Jim Thompson wrote:

Aha! A fellow escapee. I grew up in Huntington. My grandparents
were in Riverton (Pendleton County) and Philippi (Barbour County).
I've been in AZ since graduation from MIT in 1962.

I would not refer to myself as an 'escapee'. I left for several reasons.
Small towns have their advantages. The people were warm and generous.
Basically everyone knew everyone. I was still able to cash a check on an
out of state bank in Ripley without showing an ID twenty years after I left.
On the other hand, SoCal has much better economic opportunities and the
larger social and cultural offerings of a major urban area. Like most things
in life, there are trade offs.

Dan
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 22:56:32 -0700, Dan Coby
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

Aha! A fellow escapee. I grew up in Huntington. My grandparents
were in Riverton (Pendleton County) and Philippi (Barbour County).
I've been in AZ since graduation from MIT in 1962.

I would not refer to myself as an 'escapee'. I left for several reasons.
Small towns have their advantages. The people were warm and generous.
Basically everyone knew everyone. I was still able to cash a check on an
out of state bank in Ripley without showing an ID twenty years after I left.
On the other hand, SoCal has much better economic opportunities and the
larger social and cultural offerings of a major urban area. Like most things
in life, there are trade offs.

Dan

For sure. I was last back there in November when my father died (at
90). _Everyone_ is very warm and cordial.

But Arizona _isn't_ SoCal. We still have some civility left (and room
;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Gourmet Puzzles:

What part of the fish are the "sticks"?

Likewise where are the chicken "fingers" located?
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Jim Thompson wrote:
But Arizona _isn't_ SoCal. We still have some civility left (and room
;-)

Most of the people that I have met in southern California are great people
to be around. Even on the freeways in rush hour traffic most of the drivers
are extremely courteous. Indeed California drivers are among the most civil
that I have found in any city. You said that you went to MIT. I would take
a California driver over a Bostonian anytime. There are a few exceptions.
The anonymity of urban areas does allow the exceptions to survive but
fortunately they are rare.

SoCal is more crowded that I would prefer. And it has gotten more so in the
31 years that I have lived here. The population of Orange County has doubled
in that time. This small county now has twice the population of the entire
state of WV. On the other hand, the population provides the economic base
for the stores, museums, theaters, restaurants, etc. that I do like. Like
most things, there are trade offs.

On the other hand, the heat in most of Arizona would get to me. Except
for the higher elevations, the summers are too hot. I had a job that took
me to Tucson for long periods in the summer. Too warm. Even though there
are some great things to do outdoors in Arizona, we ended up spending most
of the time inside with the air conditioning. We did a little hiking in
the mountains around Tucson but that was it. The weather in SoCal allows
us to do outdoor activities during most of the year. We even have snow in
the local mountains during the winter.

The biggest thing that I miss in SoCal is lightening bugs.

Dan
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Thu, 02 Jul 2009 16:00:33 -0700, Dan Coby
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
But Arizona _isn't_ SoCal. We still have some civility left (and room
;-)

Most of the people that I have met in southern California are great people
to be around. Even on the freeways in rush hour traffic most of the drivers
are extremely courteous. Indeed California drivers are among the most civil
that I have found in any city. You said that you went to MIT. I would take
a California driver over a Bostonian anytime.

When I have business in Boston, and rent a car, I go driver-baiting...
bunch of idiots, frightened of their own shadows... just aim at them,
floor it... watch the fairies run ;-)

There are a few exceptions.
The anonymity of urban areas does allow the exceptions to survive but
fortunately they are rare.

SoCal is more crowded that I would prefer. And it has gotten more so in the
31 years that I have lived here. The population of Orange County has doubled
in that time. This small county now has twice the population of the entire
state of WV.

WV is _losing_ population... thanks to Byrd... elected Senator the
same year I graduated high school... 1958 :-(

AZ about 4X over the 47 years I've been here... but it's spread way
out compared to SoCal. But, as you say below, population makes for
metropolitan benefits.

On the other hand, the population provides the economic base
for the stores, museums, theaters, restaurants, etc. that I do like. Like
most things, there are trade offs.

On the other hand, the heat in most of Arizona would get to me. Except
for the higher elevations, the summers are too hot. I had a job that took
me to Tucson for long periods in the summer. Too warm. Even though there
are some great things to do outdoors in Arizona, we ended up spending most
of the time inside with the air conditioning. We did a little hiking in
the mountains around Tucson but that was it. The weather in SoCal allows
us to do outdoor activities during most of the year. We even have snow in
the local mountains during the winter.

Heat is something you acclimate to. In 1962, when I drove into the
Valley, without A/C, I thought, "O-mi-gawd, I've made a horrible
mistake." Now I couldn't live anywhere else... too cold... too much
depressing cloudiness, too much rain, etc ;-)

And it keeps the population moderated... pray _for_ global warming and
our population growth will drop ;-)

The biggest thing that I miss in SoCal is lightening bugs.

Dan

They're rare around here.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
Is there such a thing as an air rifle that shoots bird-shot?

We're getting over-run with rabbits, some kind of chipmunk-looking
thingy and a raccoon greeted me on the patio a few days ago... trying
to come in the doggie door!!

If I fired a shot gun in this neighborhood the resulting echo from the
surrounding hills would bring the cops in five seconds, plus knock
holes in fences :-(

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food

I wonder if it would be very good to cross an air rifle with a Paslode
cordless nailer. Use an air/fuel mixture to propel a pellet instead of
pumping air. Seems like a winner if you could get sufficient velocity that
way. If my understanding is correct, the military propels artillery that
way.

RogerN

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
OK, OK. If US scouts have poisonous water snakes to contend with, then I
suppose that they do deserve a bit of luxury as some sort of compensation.
I'll excuse them.

We didn't have poisonous water snakes back in Wisconsin, but the central
commisary did have refrigerators and freezers: Summer camp was several weeks
long, and I don't think anyone wanted to risk the meat going bad and poisoning
the kids. :-)

I got to use a pack of frozen hot dogs on a bee string once (I was
allergic...)... it was the last day of camp and they'd already tossed out all
the extra ice!

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On 03/07/2009 RogerN wrote:

..
..
..
I wonder if it would be very good to cross an air rifle with a
Paslode cordless nailer. Use an air/fuel mixture to propel a pellet
instead of pumping air. Seems like a winner if you could get
sufficient velocity that way. If my understanding is correct, the
military propels artillery that way.

RogerN

A great idea, but why not go the other way and fire nails. That will
pin the critters to the ground until they can be harvested and disposed
of.

--
John B

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On 03 Jul 2009 20:33:24 GMT, "John B"
wrote:

On 03/07/2009 RogerN wrote:

.
.
.
I wonder if it would be very good to cross an air rifle with a
Paslode cordless nailer. Use an air/fuel mixture to propel a pellet
instead of pumping air. Seems like a winner if you could get
sufficient velocity that way. If my understanding is correct, the
military propels artillery that way.

RogerN

A great idea, but why not go the other way and fire nails. That will
pin the critters to the ground until they can be harvested and disposed
of.

Except that it would not 'pin them to the ground'.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On 03/07/2009 Archimedes' Lever wrote:

On 03 Jul 2009 20:33:24 GMT, "John B"
wrote:

On 03/07/2009 RogerN wrote:

.
.
.
I wonder if it would be very good to cross an air rifle with a
Paslode cordless nailer. Use an air/fuel mixture to propel a

pellet instead of pumping air. Seems like a winner if you could
get sufficient velocity that way. If my understanding is correct,
the military propels artillery that way.

RogerN

A great idea, but why not go the other way and fire nails. That will
pin the critters to the ground until they can be harvested and
disposed of.

Except that it would not 'pin them to the ground'.

Well, I guess that depends on how many nails you fire and how big they
are!

--
John B

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On 04 Jul 2009 16:37:34 GMT, "John B"
wrote:

On 03/07/2009 Archimedes' Lever wrote:

On 03 Jul 2009 20:33:24 GMT, "John B"
wrote:

On 03/07/2009 RogerN wrote:

.
.
.
I wonder if it would be very good to cross an air rifle with a
Paslode cordless nailer. Use an air/fuel mixture to propel a

pellet instead of pumping air. Seems like a winner if you could
get sufficient velocity that way. If my understanding is correct,
the military propels artillery that way.

RogerN

A great idea, but why not go the other way and fire nails. That will
pin the critters to the ground until they can be harvested and
disposed of.

Except that it would not 'pin them to the ground'.

Well, I guess that depends on how many nails you fire and how big they
are!

Pretty stupid when the solution is to do it in one shot, and also a
projectile from a proper gun can be projected several tens of feet
accurately. The nail driver would have to be right up against the prey.
They have virtually zero accuracy after a couple feet, and even those
couple feet are hit and miss.

You have been watching to many movies.
The pellet gun acts juts like a real gun. It goes in small, and comes
out the other side big and carrying a lot of flesh with it. The critter
will not likely run off, and if it does, you will not be seeing that
particular critter again.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 09:50:27 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

Is there such a thing as an air rifle that shoots bird-shot?

We're getting over-run with rabbits, some kind of chipmunk-looking
thingy and a raccoon greeted me on the patio a few days ago... trying
to come in the doggie door!!

If I fired a shot gun in this neighborhood the resulting echo from the
surrounding hills would bring the cops in five seconds, plus knock
holes in fences :-(

...Jim Thompson

Looks like nature possibly took its own course...

FOUR, COUNT 'EM, FOUR big owls seen on the hillside last night.

Number of rabbits seen today... ZERO ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Liberals are so cute. *Dumb as a box of rocks, but cute.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Is there such a thing as an air rifle that shoots bird-shot?

We're getting over-run with rabbits, some kind of chipmunk-looking
thingy and a raccoon greeted me on the patio a few days ago... trying
to come in the doggie door!!

If I fired a shot gun in this neighborhood the resulting echo from the
surrounding hills would bring the cops in five seconds, plus knock
holes in fences :-(

...Jim Thompson

Looks like nature possibly took its own course...

FOUR, COUNT 'EM, FOUR big owls seen on the hillside last night.

Number of rabbits seen today... ZERO ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Well Owls have to eat too. :-)

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Is there such a thing as an air rifle that shoots bird-shot?

We're getting over-run with rabbits, some kind of chipmunk-looking
thingy and a raccoon greeted me on the patio a few days ago... trying
to come in the doggie door!!

If I fired a shot gun in this neighborhood the resulting echo from the
surrounding hills would bring the cops in five seconds, plus knock
holes in fences :-(

...Jim Thompson

Looks like nature possibly took its own course...

FOUR, COUNT 'EM, FOUR big owls seen on the hillside last night.

Number of rabbits seen today... ZERO ;-)

Now, if those owls would just develop a taste for trolls....

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Is there such a thing as an air rifle that shoots bird-shot?

We're getting over-run with rabbits, some kind of chipmunk-looking
thingy and a raccoon greeted me on the patio a few days ago... trying
to come in the doggie door!!

If I fired a shot gun in this neighborhood the resulting echo from the
surrounding hills would bring the cops in five seconds, plus knock
holes in fences :-(

...Jim Thompson

Looks like nature possibly took its own course...

FOUR, COUNT 'EM, FOUR big owls seen on the hillside last night.

Number of rabbits seen today... ZERO ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Looks like my backyard is the currently designated killing field. Just
went out the back door to set out the garbage can, big owl is so calm,
sitting there in my grass munching on something too far gone to
identify ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Why are Democrats so mean-spirited and ugly-level hateful?
I suspect it's self-flagellation to their own inadequacy.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Jim Thompson wrote
in :

Is there such a thing as an air rifle that shoots bird-shot?

We're getting over-run with rabbits, some kind of chipmunk-looking
thingy and a raccoon greeted me on the patio a few days ago...
trying to come in the doggie door!!

If I fired a shot gun in this neighborhood the resulting echo from
the surrounding hills would bring the cops in five seconds, plus
knock holes in fences :-(

...Jim Thompson

Ultrasonic repeller boxes work for me. I sling several of them
connected to a multiple outlet extention cord, into a window sill
that I keep open in the summertime.

I sought for a solution, because of the night-singing mocking birds
which populate some regions of Southern California.

I resoned that while the repellers are designed for small rodents,
and insects, that a birds skull was of a nearly similar dimension.

Well, It worked. I use it every Springtime ( & no more screeching birds
outside at 1:30am ).

My experiment cost less than 20 US Dollars.

For what it's worth,

JHH
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Lon" wrote in message
Jim Thompson wrote
in :

Is there such a thing as an air rifle that shoots bird-shot?

We're getting over-run with rabbits, some kind of chipmunk-looking
thingy and a raccoon greeted me on the patio a few days ago...
trying to come in the doggie door!!

If I fired a shot gun in this neighborhood the resulting echo from
the surrounding hills would bring the cops in five seconds, plus
knock holes in fences :-(

...Jim Thompson

Ultrasonic repeller boxes work for me. I sling several of them
connected to a multiple outlet extention cord, into a window sill
that I keep open in the summertime.

Since BT replaced all the old red GPO telephone boxes they mounted the open
plan one up the road from me facing into the wind, every time we get heavy
rain the phone gets waterlogged and starts emitting a high pitched whistling
noise.

I always wondered why all the dogs in the neighbourhood started barking like
crazy every time we had heavy rain!

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sun, 2 Aug 2009 21:44:46 +0100, "ian field"
wrote:

"Lon" wrote in message
.. .
Jim Thompson wrote
in :

[...]

Hey all... I was just lirking and thought you might be able to use
this "green" method. There are two links to web sites you can watch.
They have video's to watch on the website. Below is a paragraph that I
copies from the woodworking group:

Don't know how well it works but it should be fun. See
http://www.rodenator.com/.
booyah,
jo4hn the woodenator

A little more user-friendly:
/www.varmitgetter.com/

A testimonial and full disclosu My dad has prairie dogs on his
place,
they have ruined a hay field and are an expanding annoyance. He's
tried
the poison pellets (the kind that require an EPA permit to purchase),
we've
spent summer vacations shooting them and they don't go away. Last
year he
bought a varmitgetter. The advantage of the varmit-getter over the
rodenator is that the operator isn't standing at the wand when
igniting the
explosion, there's about 20 feet of cable. One still gets dirt
blasted on
onself, but I can't imagine how much of a dirt bath one takes with the
rodenator when you are standing at ground zero. We spent a day this
summer and did well over 150 holes.

... and yes, it is literally a blast to use.

If you don't want to spring for your own system, check locally,
there may
be someone who does this for a living.