Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
mistimorn mistimorn is offline

Default Varmint Control

On Sun, 2 Aug 2009 21:44:46 +0100, "ian field"
wrote:

"Lon" wrote in message
.. .
Jim Thompson wrote
in :

Is there such a thing as an air rifle that shoots bird-shot?

We're getting over-run with rabbits, some kind of chipmunk-looking
thingy and a raccoon greeted me on the patio a few days ago...
trying to come in the doggie door!!

If I fired a shot gun in this neighborhood the resulting echo from
the surrounding hills would bring the cops in five seconds, plus
knock holes in fences :-(

...Jim Thompson

Ultrasonic repeller boxes work for me. I sling several of them
connected to a multiple outlet extention cord, into a window sill
that I keep open in the summertime.

Since BT replaced all the old red GPO telephone boxes they mounted the open
plan one up the road from me facing into the wind, every time we get heavy
rain the phone gets waterlogged and starts emitting a high pitched whistling
noise.

I always wondered why all the dogs in the neighbourhood started barking like
crazy every time we had heavy rain!

Hey all... I was just lirking and thought you might be able to use
this "green" method. There are two links to web sites you can watch.
They have video's to watch on the website. Below is a paragraph that I
copies from the woodworking group:

Don't know how well it works but it should be fun. See
http://www.rodenator.com/.
booyah,
jo4hn the woodenator

A little more user-friendly:
/www.varmitgetter.com/

A testimonial and full disclosu My dad has prairie dogs on his
place,
they have ruined a hay field and are an expanding annoyance. He's
tried
the poison pellets (the kind that require an EPA permit to purchase),
we've
spent summer vacations shooting them and they don't go away. Last
year he
bought a varmitgetter. The advantage of the varmit-getter over the
rodenator is that the operator isn't standing at the wand when
igniting the
explosion, there's about 20 feet of cable. One still gets dirt
blasted on
onself, but I can't imagine how much of a dirt bath one takes with the
rodenator when you are standing at ground zero. We spent a day this
summer and did well over 150 holes.

... and yes, it is literally a blast to use.

If you don't want to spring for your own system, check locally,
there may
be someone who does this for a living.