Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
RogerN RogerN is offline

Default Varmint Control

"RogerN" wrote in message
m...

"RogerN" wrote in message

snip

Yes, Gamo now makes an air shotgun. Shoots pellets or shot shells at 750
fps.

http://www.cabelas.com/hprod-1/0040376.shtml

Other air rifles of interest might be the Gamo varmint hunter or the
whisper (a muffled air rifle).

If you want more serious air rifle power:
http://www.quackenbushairguns.com/bandit_1.html

I live out of city limits and occasionally have varmint (skunks,
raccoons, possums, etc.) problems. I've been considering using a
wireless camera, radio control, and some kind of "gun" to chase them
away. I have a lot of R/C equipment, might try a CO2 pistol mounted to
R/C car.

So far all I've done is use a wireless network camera in the car port.
We had skunks coming up to steal the cat food. I shot at a skunk with a
22, missed, the skunk ran away, came back less than a minute later. Shot
at it again, missed, found out the red dot sight was out of adjustment.
Anyway, the skunk kept coming back until I shot it. I monitored the
camera from my PC and usually cracking the door open slowly didn't scare
off the varmint.

Back to the other solutions. You can mount a camera to a rifle scope or
even get IR laser sights that can only be seen with a camera or night
vision equipment. There are some videos on youtube of cameras on rifle
scopes and laser sights being used to shoot rats in the dark and so
forth. Anyway, the problem seems to be that the varmints run when I come
around and they come back as soon as I'm back inside. So to me the
solution seems to be some sort of R/C vehicle that can fire and be
operated remotely using a wireless camera and R/C equipment. Removing
the IR filter from the camera plus IR illumination gives it the ability
to operate in the dark.

For the R/C camera stuff search for FPV (first person view) R/C (they
drive cars, fly planes, and heli's this way). Searching for camera to
rifle scope will lead to some interesting varmint control night vision
solutions on youtube.

I still haven't decided on the "gun", I would like to be able to choose
the power at time of firing, maybe a solenoid fired air rifle and adjust
the valve ON time, time to get a chronograph :-) The idea is if a
"scare" shot doesn't keep them away, turn up the power until they get the
point.

RogerN

Found some videos

Sent too soon, found some even more interesting.

R/C machine gun for those stubborn varmints

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra03l...eature=related

USB Missle launcher with webcam, doesn't appear effective but the idea is
similar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLPVQ...eature=related

USB gun turret with R/C servos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCOJA6ps-7s&NR=1