DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   Electronic Schematics (https://www.diybanter.com/electronic-schematics/)
-   -   Varmint Control (https://www.diybanter.com/electronic-schematics/281145-varmint-control.html)

Jim Thompson June 26th 09 05:50 PM

Varmint Control

Is there such a thing as an air rifle that shoots bird-shot?

We're getting over-run with rabbits, some kind of chipmunk-looking
thingy and a raccoon greeted me on the patio a few days ago... trying
to come in the doggie door!!

If I fired a shot gun in this neighborhood the resulting echo from the
surrounding hills would bring the cops in five seconds, plus knock
holes in fences :-(

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food

Jitt[_2_] June 26th 09 05:57 PM

Varmint Control

In article , To-
says...
Is there such a thing as an air rifle that shoots bird-shot?

We're getting over-run with rabbits, some kind of chipmunk-looking
thingy and a raccoon greeted me on the patio a few days ago... trying
to come in the doggie door!!

If I fired a shot gun in this neighborhood the resulting echo from the
surrounding hills would bring the cops in five seconds, plus knock
holes in fences :-(

...Jim Thompson

There used to be a .22 rimfire round with #11 shot
available, should be a lot quieter

Phil Hobbs June 26th 09 05:59 PM

Varmint Control

Jim Thompson wrote:
Is there such a thing as an air rifle that shoots bird-shot?

We're getting over-run with rabbits, some kind of chipmunk-looking
thingy and a raccoon greeted me on the patio a few days ago... trying
to come in the doggie door!!

If I fired a shot gun in this neighborhood the resulting echo from the
surrounding hills would bring the cops in five seconds, plus knock
holes in fences :-(

...Jim Thompson

You can shoot vermin with a pellet gun.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

Jim Thompson June 26th 09 06:19 PM

Varmint Control

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 12:59:06 -0400, Phil Hobbs
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
Is there such a thing as an air rifle that shoots bird-shot?

We're getting over-run with rabbits, some kind of chipmunk-looking
thingy and a raccoon greeted me on the patio a few days ago... trying
to come in the doggie door!!

If I fired a shot gun in this neighborhood the resulting echo from the
surrounding hills would bring the cops in five seconds, plus knock
holes in fences :-(

...Jim Thompson

You can shoot vermin with a pellet gun.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Certainly. But something that's running is easier to hit with
bird-shot. "Kill" isn't necessary, I just want the varmints to
recognize an "unfriendly zone" ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat |

Gourmet Puzzles:

What part of the fish are the "sticks"?

Likewise where are the chicken "fingers" located?

Clint Sharp June 26th 09 06:26 PM

Varmint Control

In message , Jim Thompson
writes

Gourmet Puzzles:

What part of the fish are the "sticks"?

Likewise where are the chicken "fingers" located?

I'd be more worried about where the chicken's nuggets are!

--
Clint Sharp

DJ Delorie June 26th 09 06:30 PM

Varmint Control

Jim Thompson writes:
"Kill" isn't necessary, I just want the varmints to recognize an
"unfriendly zone" ;-)

Buy an outdoor-compatible large dog?

(Given the newsgroup topic, "large robot dog" would be appropriate ;)

Phil Hobbs June 26th 09 06:43 PM

Varmint Control

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
Is there such a thing as an air rifle that shoots bird-shot?

We're getting over-run with rabbits, some kind of chipmunk-looking
thingy and a raccoon greeted me on the patio a few days ago... trying
to come in the doggie door!!

If I fired a shot gun in this neighborhood the resulting echo from the
surrounding hills would bring the cops in five seconds, plus knock
holes in fences :-(

...Jim Thompson

You can shoot vermin with a pellet gun.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Certainly. But something that's running is easier to hit with
bird-shot. "Kill" isn't necessary, I just want the varmints to
recognize an "unfriendly zone" ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Get a paintball gun. Discourages the deer too, if you hit them while
they're running away.

Cheers,

Phil

Ken Fowler June 26th 09 07:40 PM

Varmint Control

Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 13:43:59 -0400
From: Phil Hobbs
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.ele ctronic
Subject: Varmint Control

alt.binaries.schematics.electronic:158437 sci.electronics.design:1012592

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
[...]

At Camp Wolfboro Boy Scout Camp two years ago, they tried discouraging a
bear from raiding the camp. You can't legally shoot them because it is
Forest Service land. They got permission from the FS to use paint balls.
Paint balls weren't very effective until they tried freezing them first -
the balls, not the bears. Scouts on the staff had some fun and the bears
got the message.
Ken Fowler, KO6NO

Jim Thompson June 26th 09 07:57 PM

Varmint Control

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
[...]

Ewwwwwh!

I can just see how SWMBO will react to paint-ball marks on the walls
:-(

...Jim Thompson

Joel Koltner[_2_] June 26th 09 08:43 PM

Varmint Control

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message
I can just see how SWMBO will react to paint-ball marks on the walls
:-(

Good excuse to get or upgrade a pressure washer?

Ian Jackson[_2_] June 26th 09 08:51 PM

Varmint Control

In message , Ken Fowler
writes

At Camp Wolfboro Boy Scout Camp two years ago, they tried discouraging a
bear from raiding the camp. You can't legally shoot them because it is
Forest Service land. They got permission from the FS to use paint balls.
Paint balls weren't very effective until they tried freezing them first -
the balls, not the bears. Scouts on the staff had some fun and the bears
got the message.
Ken Fowler, KO6NO
--

What sort of scout camp has facilities for freezing? Do they also have
feather beds, and electric or gas cookers? They sound like a right load

Michael A. Terrell June 26th 09 08:54 PM

Varmint Control

Joel Koltner wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message
I can just see how SWMBO will react to paint-ball marks on the walls
:-(

Good excuse to get or upgrade a pressure washer?

To use on the critters? Fill it with turpentine, first! :)

JB[_6_] June 26th 09 09:55 PM

Varmint Control

------snip----------

Certainly. But something that's running is easier to hit with
bird-shot. "Kill" isn't necessary, I just want the varmints to
recognize an "unfriendly zone" ;-)

Large Tesla coil?

JB

Jim Thompson June 26th 09 11:06 PM

Varmint Control

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 15:54:30 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Joel Koltner wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message
I can just see how SWMBO will react to paint-ball marks on the walls
:-(

Good excuse to get or upgrade a pressure washer?

To use on the critters? Fill it with turpentine, first! :)

Actually do own a pressure washer... bought it recently to clear some
patio scuppers that had clogged. But the "critters" would run on
start-up ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Phil Hobbs June 26th 09 11:08 PM

Varmint Control

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
[...]

No problem--it washes off when it rains. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Jim Thompson June 26th 09 11:14 PM

Varmint Control

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
[...]

When does that happen here in AZ?

...Jim Thompson

Phil Hobbs June 26th 09 11:41 PM

Varmint Control

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
[...]

Hence the smiley.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Tom Del Rosso[_3_] June 27th 09 01:34 AM

Varmint Control

Jim Thompson wrote:
Is there such a thing as an air rifle that shoots bird-shot?

We're getting over-run with rabbits, some kind of chipmunk-looking
thingy and a raccoon greeted me on the patio a few days ago... trying
to come in the doggie door!!

If I fired a shot gun in this neighborhood the resulting echo from the
surrounding hills would bring the cops in five seconds, plus knock
holes in fences :-(

Sounds like a perfect application for a LASER.

Maybe a 100W YAG would do it.

As for air rifles with bird shot, it seems impossible since the air needs a
tighter seal than a cluster of shot would provide. Maybe you can get one of
those rapid firing air guns that they use in arcades.

Or just get a dog with longer legs. Just as a cat makes mice disappear.

zero, and remove the last word.

Capt. Cave Man June 27th 09 01:51 AM

Varmint Control

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
Is there such a thing as an air rifle that shoots bird-shot?

We're getting over-run with rabbits, some kind of chipmunk-looking
thingy and a raccoon greeted me on the patio a few days ago... trying
to come in the doggie door!!

If I fired a shot gun in this neighborhood the resulting echo from the
surrounding hills would bring the cops in five seconds, plus knock
holes in fences :-(

...Jim Thompson

You can shoot vermin with a pellet gun.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Certainly. But something that's running is easier to hit with
bird-shot. "Kill" isn't necessary, I just want the varmints to
recognize an "unfriendly zone" ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Pellets do that just fine. So do BBs. At the range of a yard (front
yard, back yard), even a pistol would be sufficient. Paint ball guns
would give them alarm to the territory as well.

Capt. Cave Man June 27th 09 01:52 AM

Varmint Control

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 18:26:33 +0100, Clint Sharp
wrote:

In message , Jim Thompson
writes

Gourmet Puzzles:

What part of the fish are the "sticks"?

Likewise where are the chicken "fingers" located?

I'd be more worried about where the chicken's nuggets are!

You're not very 'sharp', Clint.

Capt. Cave Man June 27th 09 01:53 AM

Varmint Control

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 11:57:20 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

Ewwwwwh!

I can just see how SWMBO will react to paint-ball marks on the walls
:-(

It isn't paint, idiot. It is 100% water soluble, non-toxic media.

Capt. Cave Man June 27th 09 01:53 AM

Varmint Control

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 12:43:44 -0700, "Joel Koltner"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message
I can just see how SWMBO will react to paint-ball marks on the walls
:-(

Good excuse to get or upgrade a pressure washer?

A simple hose would work. It isn't really paint.

Capt. Cave Man June 27th 09 01:54 AM

Varmint Control

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 15:54:30 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Joel Koltner wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message
I can just see how SWMBO will react to paint-ball marks on the walls
:-(

Good excuse to get or upgrade a pressure washer?

To use on the critters? Fill it with turpentine, first! :)

Learn to follow the thread, idiot. It was about paint ball mark
removal. D'oh!

Capt. Cave Man June 27th 09 02:01 AM

Varmint Control

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 20:34:47 -0400, "Tom Del Rosso"
wrote:

Sounds like a perfect application for a LASER.

Maybe a 100W YAG would do it.

The 200 mW pointers that there are instructions for making out there
will burn hair and flesh. They would feel it, no problem.

Lighting off 100W lasers in an open, public area, is likely not even
legal in most cities.

StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt June 27th 09 02:05 AM

Varmint Control

wrote:

As for air rifles with bird shot, it seems impossible since the air needs a
tighter seal than a cluster of shot would provide.

Not really. If one blows a wad of air past such a wad of pellets, they
WILL get moving, and no seal is required. If the seal was all it took,
then me "sealing" the top of the barrel on a single pump should stop the
pellet or bb from rising up the barrel. That is not the case. It still
goes, full force.

The low pressure in front of the projectile compresses as the high
pressure behind it expands. The bb moves, and if the air is sealed, the
inertia is enough to keep it going..

This was with a rifled barrel, and both BBs and pellets.

Martin Riddle June 27th 09 03:16 AM

Varmint Control

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
Is there such a thing as an air rifle that shoots bird-shot?

We're getting over-run with rabbits, some kind of chipmunk-looking
thingy and a raccoon greeted me on the patio a few days ago... trying
to come in the doggie door!!

If I fired a shot gun in this neighborhood the resulting echo from the
surrounding hills would bring the cops in five seconds, plus knock
holes in fences :-(

...Jim Thompson

Yes !! ( a wimpy 320 fps )
http://www.airgundepot.com/tsd-tactical-3-burst-assault-stock-shotgun.html

But this looks like more fun...
http://www.airgundepot.com/tactical-force-tf11-airsoft.html

BTW, 22 cal is more effective against small game. look for PCP, pump em
up and shoot multiple times.
http://www.airgundepot.com/22caliber-air-rifles.html

Cheers

Michael A. Terrell June 27th 09 03:22 AM

Varmint Control

Jim Thompson wrote:

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 15:54:30 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Joel Koltner wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message
I can just see how SWMBO will react to paint-ball marks on the walls
:-(

Good excuse to get or upgrade a pressure washer?

To use on the critters? Fill it with turpentine, first! :)

Actually do own a pressure washer... bought it recently to clear some
patio scuppers that had clogged. But the "critters" would run on
start-up ;-)

Ever heard of 'Turpentining an egg sucking dog'? Farmers didn't want
to kill stray dogs hanging around their property, so they would soak a
corn cob in turpentine. When the dog bothered their chickens they would
grab the dog by the tail, and drag the cob across the dog's ass. The
stiff cob would scratch the tender skin, and the turpentine would burn
like hell, so the dog took off, never to return.

Too bad we can't use it on ignorant Usenet trolls.

Capt. Cave Man June 27th 09 04:24 AM

Varmint Control

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 22:16:50 -0400, "Martin Riddle"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...

http://www.airgundepot.com/gamo-whisper.html

PeterD June 27th 09 12:54 PM

Varmint Control

wrote:

Ewwwwwh!

I can just see how SWMBO will react to paint-ball marks on the walls
:-(

It isn't paint, idiot. It is 100% water soluble, non-toxic media.

Geeze, who gave a 12 year old a computer?

Michael A. Terrell June 27th 09 02:06 PM

Varmint Control

wrote:

Ewwwwwh!

I can just see how SWMBO will react to paint-ball marks on the walls
:-(

It isn't paint, idiot. It is 100% water soluble, non-toxic media.

Geeze, who gave a 12 year old a computer?

All 48 of his attempts at a personality don't add up to a 12 year
old.

RogerN June 27th 09 02:42 PM

Varmint Control

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
Is there such a thing as an air rifle that shoots bird-shot?

We're getting over-run with rabbits, some kind of chipmunk-looking
thingy and a raccoon greeted me on the patio a few days ago... trying
to come in the doggie door!!

If I fired a shot gun in this neighborhood the resulting echo from the
surrounding hills would bring the cops in five seconds, plus knock
holes in fences :-(

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat |

I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food

Yes, Gamo now makes an air shotgun. Shoots pellets or shot shells at 750
fps.

http://www.cabelas.com/hprod-1/0040376.shtml

Other air rifles of interest might be the Gamo varmint hunter or the whisper
(a muffled air rifle).

If you want more serious air rifle power:
http://www.quackenbushairguns.com/bandit_1.html

I live out of city limits and occasionally have varmint (skunks, raccoons,
possums, etc.) problems. I've been considering using a wireless camera,
radio control, and some kind of "gun" to chase them away. I have a lot of
R/C equipment, might try a CO2 pistol mounted to R/C car.

So far all I've done is use a wireless network camera in the car port. We
had skunks coming up to steal the cat food. I shot at a skunk with a 22,
missed, the skunk ran away, came back less than a minute later. Shot at it
again, missed, found out the red dot sight was out of adjustment. Anyway,
the skunk kept coming back until I shot it. I monitored the camera from my
PC and usually cracking the door open slowly didn't scare off the varmint.

Back to the other solutions. You can mount a camera to a rifle scope or
even get IR laser sights that can only be seen with a camera or night vision
equipment. There are some videos on youtube of cameras on rifle scopes and
laser sights being used to shoot rats in the dark and so forth. Anyway, the
problem seems to be that the varmints run when I come around and they come
back as soon as I'm back inside. So to me the solution seems to be some
sort of R/C vehicle that can fire and be operated remotely using a wireless
camera and R/C equipment. Removing the IR filter from the camera plus IR
illumination gives it the ability to operate in the dark.

For the R/C camera stuff search for FPV (first person view) R/C (they drive
cars, fly planes, and heli's this way). Searching for camera to rifle scope
will lead to some interesting varmint control night vision solutions on
youtube.

I still haven't decided on the "gun", I would like to be able to choose the
power at time of firing, maybe a solenoid fired air rifle and adjust the
valve ON time, time to get a chronograph :-) The idea is if a "scare" shot
doesn't keep them away, turn up the power until they get the point.

RogerN

Ecnerwal[_3_] June 27th 09 05:24 PM

Varmint Control

In article ,
Jim Thompson wrote:

Is there such a thing as an air rifle that shoots bird-shot?

We're getting over-run with rabbits, some kind of chipmunk-looking
thingy and a raccoon greeted me on the patio a few days ago... trying
to come in the doggie door!!

If I fired a shot gun in this neighborhood the resulting echo from the
surrounding hills would bring the cops in five seconds, plus knock
holes in fences :-(

...Jim Thompson

Bird shot (without a shotun to drive it) is not going to be an
improvement over pellets for those things - you want a serious pellet
gun and practice enough to hit what you aim at. Use the larger caliber
(.22 or .25) subsonic versions rather than the smaller caliber (.17)
supersonic (or nearer-sonic) versions. However, a pellet gun with enough
power to be useful hunting may still get the neighbors excited - they
are not silent by any means.

Jim Thompson June 27th 09 05:47 PM

Varmint Control

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 12:24:54 -0400, Ecnerwal
wrote:

In article ,
Jim Thompson wrote:

[...]

I may just go into training for dealing with leftist weenies... trap a
rabbit, then leave in the sun as an example for those yet to be
trapped ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Michael Robinson[_3_] June 27th 09 05:50 PM

Varmint Control

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
Ewwwwwh!

I can just see how SWMBO will react to paint-ball marks on the walls
:-(

...Jim Thompson

http://www.cabelas.com/hprod-1/0040376.shtml

I typed "air shotgun" into bing

Looks like s.e.d. has become your search engine, Jim!

Capt. Cave Man June 27th 09 07:07 PM

Varmint Control

wrote:

Ewwwwwh!

I can just see how SWMBO will react to paint-ball marks on the walls
:-(

It isn't paint, idiot. It is 100% water soluble, non-toxic media.

Geeze, who gave a 12 year old a computer?

I do not know, but you should give it back immediately.

Capt. Cave Man June 27th 09 07:08 PM

Varmint Control

wrote:

Ewwwwwh!

I can just see how SWMBO will react to paint-ball marks on the walls
:-(

It isn't paint, idiot. It is 100% water soluble, non-toxic media.

Geeze, who gave a 12 year old a computer?

All 48 of his attempts at a personality don't add up to a 12 year
old.

All of your attempts at doing math, especially in this manner, proves
that you are about as retarded as Roy is.

Both of you idiots sport a mental age that proves that numerical age is
not what makes a man a man.

StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt June 27th 09 07:14 PM

Varmint Control

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 09:47:25 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 12:24:54 -0400, Ecnerwal
wrote:

In article ,
Jim Thompson wrote:

[...]

How is it you manage to turn every thread into a retarded, adolescent
brained "bad joke" forum for your bent cracks, which only you think are
funny?

Hopfully old idiots like you will be joining MJ for tea soon.

StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt June 27th 09 07:16 PM

Varmint Control

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 12:50:24 -0400, "Michael Robinson"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
Ewwwwwh!

I can just see how SWMBO will react to paint-ball marks on the walls
:-(

...Jim Thompson

http://www.cabelas.com/hprod-1/0040376.shtml

I typed "air shotgun" into bing

Looks like s.e.d. has become your search engine, Jim!

Some of the questions he asks are too stupid for even a ten year old.

If anyone should be ignored, it should be the Thompson twit.

PeterD June 27th 09 10:17 PM

Varmint Control

wrote:

Ewwwwwh!

I can just see how SWMBO will react to paint-ball marks on the walls
:-(

It isn't paint, idiot. It is 100% water soluble, non-toxic media.

Geeze, who gave a 12 year old a computer?

All 48 of his attempts at a personality don't add up to a 12 year
old.

All of your attempts at doing math, especially in this manner, proves
that you are about as retarded as Roy is.

Both of you idiots sport a mental age that proves that numerical age is
not what makes a man a man.

And some day, you'll be a man...

Michael A. Terrell June 27th 09 10:20 PM

Varmint Control

wrote:

Ewwwwwh!

I can just see how SWMBO will react to paint-ball marks on the walls
:-(

It isn't paint, idiot. It is 100% water soluble, non-toxic media.

Geeze, who gave a 12 year old a computer?

All 48 of his attempts at a personality don't add up to a 12 year
old.

All of your attempts at doing math, especially in this manner, proves
that you are about as retarded as Roy is.

Both of you idiots sport a mental age that proves that numerical age is
not what makes a man a man.

And some day, you'll be a man...

Don't bet on it. He's beyond hope, and no one cares if he lives, or
dies.