Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Radio Control Varmint Control

Living out of city limits comes with varmints (skunk, raccoon, possum,
coyote, etc.). Since I've been into R/C models for many years, I've been
thinking about an R/C toy that could be useful for varmint control. The
general idea is a model vehicle, tank or 4X4 truck type model, and add some
kind of gun (air gun?) that would be as near lethal (to varmints) as legally
possible. The gun wouldn't need to be lethal as long as it could deter the
varmints return. The gun on the vehicle would be aimed with the aid of a
wireless on board camera.

Ideas on the vehicle or aiming device are good but I'm especially looking
for ideas on the gun (or other method to chase away varmints). I'm figuring
on using my 6 channel radio, 1 channel for forward & reverse + speed, a
channel for steering, two channels for gun pointing, and 2 channels for
firing (safety + trigger). So what about a paintball gun, perhaps with
solid plastic balls? Or maybe a CO2 BB pistol? Pepper Spray? Other? (no
flame throwers in case I have to send the vehicle under the house after a
varmint :-) I shot our pet ducks with an airsoft gun before and it didn't
seem to bother them, I don't think they felt it through their feathers, I
doubt an airsoft gun would drive a possum away either.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 21:48:16 -0600, "RogerN"
wrote:

[...]

It would be useful to first see how close you can get to various
varmints with an RC mobile device.

I suspect that none of the "control" measures you suggest would work,
regardless of range. I can guarantee that none of the mentioned
varmints would be controlled by a CO2 BB pistol.

In my experience, training and/or motivation doesn't work with
varmints. The only ways to control them are to exclude them with
barriers, or kill them as humanely as possible. Even livetrapping
and transport often doesn't work because they find their way back.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Living out of city limits comes with varmints (skunk, raccoon, possum,
coyote, etc.). Since I've been into R/C models for many years, I've been
thinking about an R/C toy that could be useful for varmint control.

Bet you'd enjoy the novel "Butcher Bird" by Dean Ing.
http://tinyurl.com/c9loaw

It didn't get great reviews but I enjoyed it a lot and I'd think that
any RC enthusiast would find it fun.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

The general idea is to leave this vehicle in the car port and set motion
detecting software to work with the image from the camera to alert me to
take a look at the camera. When the varmints come in to the carport to
steal the cat food or get in the trash is when the vehicle is in range.
Hopefully the first audible noise being made will be firing.

If I had to try to aim a gun while driving the vehicle and hit a target, now
that would be challenging! I've also wondered how a vehicle would handle if
I installed a heading hold gyro from a model helicopter in one.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RogerN" wrote in message
m...

[...]

Bait the critters so they come close to the servo that throws a switch and
ignites charge that could be a H-100 dipped in glue and rolled in BBs.
Protect the receiver/servo with some well placed steel. All you need is
binoculars and the transmitter. You could make them directional like a
Claymore.
BB gun = little girl, C-4 = MAN!!!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 00:50:55 -0600, "RogerN"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Please keep us posted on your inventions and progress. Having fun is
job 1 as long as it's legal and not harmful to other people.

If you enjoy tech challenge, accurate shooting while moving at high
speed (for tanks, speed classified but 45km/h) was possible with
'70s technology -- with the target also moving. Should be cake with
today's DSP's and such.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RogerN wrote:

[...]

Need "real" gun to be effective. .22 loaded with shot shells is usually
preferred for close range varmint elimination with minimal risk to the
surrounding area.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 03:38:42 -0600, "Pete C."
wrote:

RogerN wrote:

[...]

The CCI blue nosed shot rounds in 22lr are rather effective if fired in
a smooth bore. Which means its rather easy to make up a firearm in the
home shop. Perhaps a single shot action with a 12" barrel

And legal as well

Gunner

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary
that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even
alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every
quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 14, 10:48*pm, "RogerN" wrote:
Living out of city limits comes with varmints (skunk, raccoon, possum,
coyote, etc.). *Since I've been into R/C models for many years, I've been
thinking about an R/C toy that could be useful for varmint control. *The
general idea is a model vehicle, tank or 4X4 truck type model, and add some
kind of gun (air gun?) that would be as near lethal (to varmints) as legally
possible. *...
RogerN

How about a robot topped by a fanged rubber mask that uses a
pyroelectric detector to chase warm objects? From my observations it
should appear to have moving legs, I can get quite close to wild
animals on a wheeled vehicle like a Segway.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

RogerN wrote:
[...]

I've been watching the other gun thread and knowing you are located a
fair way from navigable water, and that you are temporarily recoil
adverse, I've been having visions of a punt gun mounted on a mechanic's
creeper. Now with this thread, its all come together . . . .

http://www.timmytools.co.uk/marksman-mechanics-creeper-p-116.html

+

http://www.bluerockheritage.com/tom_knapp_and_the_punt_gun.htm

+ the guts of a RC model

=

A remote control punt gun creeper :-)

Further thoughts:

Aim the whole vehicle. Maybe a extra channel for a fine lateral drive of
the butt end

Another RC channel needed for an elevation screw or wedge.

TWO webcams needed. One for general forward view, with a 1/3 field
periscope for backing up, and a gauge for the amount of elevation also
visible in its field and the other looking through the telescopic sights.

Then all you need is some targets . . . . . . .

(and an appreciative audience)
[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & 32K emails -- NUL:

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

om...

[...]

What about a Taser?

Doug White
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 00:50:55 -0600, "RogerN"
wrote:

snip

[...]

That would be neat. I used to be a machine vision system integrator and
always thought it would be interesting to use visual feedback to aim a
camera (or gun) to track an object. Using a night vision video camera with
IR illumination and software to track a varmint while moving, and calculate
the target position based on bullet and target trajectory would be
interesting.

If I do something along this line, the first attempts might be to mount a
stationary gun turret pointed toward the cat food bowl and a couple of
servos to adjust the aim. Many of the varmints around here don't scare too
easily, maybe a little noise from servos wouldn't scare them away. But then
again if the servo noise scares varmints away I guess I've accomplished my
goal.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

RogerN wrote:

[...]

After shooting a small snake 5 or 6 times with shot filled 9mm cartridges
and watching the snake continue to slither away into the weeds, I was under
the impression (hopefully false) that the shot filled cartridges were
ineffective. They were fired at close range but the gun was a Ruger 9MM
(p89 or something like that). The snake may have later died but I was left
with the impression that the cartridges were useless.

The 22lr with a smooth bore 12" barrel might be just the thing for close
range varmint control. I was afraid that pulling the trigger with R/C might
be illegal for FOID required ammo. Anyway, I have some shot cups for 44
magnum loads, that would make an interesting model tank!

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Sounds like a neat project, but it also sounds like it's a bit more than you
need for
the task at hand. If you build it, build at least 2. Mobile armor search
and destroy missions
in the back yard sounds like fun.

You have 2 stationary targets. Cat's food and trash can. You don't want to
scare
off the cats, so short of a target identification system, it's going to be
manual.

Motion detector triggered alarm with a camera focused on the target area.
ID target and then activate deterrent system. Bright/strobe lights, high
frequency sound, water spray. Recording of a raptors cry or a dog growling?
Heck---gut a junker bug zapper, lay the screens
down under the cats bowl. When you hit the switch on that one it will get
their
attention! An electric airsoft machine gun at close range has a nasty
sting,
and it would be easy to rig for remote operation.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

RogerN wrote:

[...]

I know from experience that it can take quite a few hits from .22
shot shells to stop/drop a good-sized rat at close range. I don't know
about 'possums, but raccoons are pretty tough.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 12:24:59 +0000, IanM
wrote:

And legal as well

Gunner

I've been watching the other gun thread and knowing you are located a
fair way from navigable water, and that you are temporarily recoil
adverse, I've been having visions of a punt gun mounted on a mechanic's
creeper. Now with this thread, its all come together . . . .

http://www.timmytools.co.uk/marksman-mechanics-creeper-p-116.html

Humm....we could have a new Olympic sport...Uphill Luge.....

Gunner

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary
that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even
alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every
quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

The big problem with the various shot loads is the effect rifling spin
has on the shot column. As it exits the barrel, it becomes a swirling
cloud that disipates in very short order. A smooth bore keeps the shot
in a column.

Ive....er...ahum....Had... an elderly Thompson Contender (well..several)
in 44 magnum, with the "Hot Shot" choke (might be illegal in
California..so Had one..thats right...had.

Similar to this
http://www.gunsamerica.com/976908389/Guns-For-Sale/Gun-Auctions/Pistols/Thompson-Center-Pistols/Contender/CONTENDER_10_BBL_44_MAG_WITH_CHOKE.htm

http://www.notpurfect.com/main/tcc.htm

With the choke screwed in, I regularly rode on the front of a cotton
picker and shot pheasants as they flew up in front of the machine.\
With the choke out...it would be hard pressed to put a couple shot hits
on a soda can at 25 feet.

Gunner

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary
that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even
alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every
quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RogerN" wrote:

The 22lr with a smooth bore 12" barrel might be just the thing for close
range varmint control. I was afraid that pulling the trigger with R/C might
be illegal for FOID required ammo. Anyway, I have some shot cups for 44
magnum loads, that would make an interesting model tank!

12" shotgun, FOID, Illinois? Just forget the whole thing while you are still free.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"RogerN" wrote:

The 22lr with a smooth bore 12" barrel might be just the thing for close
range varmint control. I was afraid that pulling the trigger with R/C
might
be illegal for FOID required ammo. Anyway, I have some shot cups for 44
magnum loads, that would make an interesting model tank!

12" shotgun, FOID, Illinois? Just forget the whole thing while you are
still free.

Wes

When did anyone in Illinois become free? Maybe I need a battle bot with a
baseball bat! :-)

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RogerN" wrote:

12" shotgun, FOID, Illinois? Just forget the whole thing while you are
still free.

Wes

When did anyone in Illinois become free? Maybe I need a battle bot with a
baseball bat! :-)

Are you close enough to Indiana to move?

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 10:02:56 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

The 22lr with a smooth bore 12" barrel might be just the thing for close
range varmint control. I was afraid that pulling the trigger with R/C might
be illegal for FOID required ammo. Anyway, I have some shot cups for 44
magnum loads, that would make an interesting model tank!

RogerN

Chamber barrel for this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/17-357_RG

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary
that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even
alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every
quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
. ..
On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 03:38:42 -0600, "Pete C."
wrote:

[ ... ]

[...]

Hmm ... one of the .22 Gatling guns -- mechanically interlocked
so you have to push the remote button once per shot to keep it legal (if
that would be sufficient).

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RogerN wrote:

The 22lr with a smooth bore 12" barrel might be just the thing for close
range varmint control. I was afraid that pulling the trigger with R/C might
be illegal for FOID required ammo. Anyway, I have some shot cups for 44
magnum loads, that would make an interesting model tank!

RogerN

A 12" smoothbore barrel makes it a short barreled shotgun and an NFA
firearm. Check with state regs, then get your ATF stamp, then build it.

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 15, 3:32*pm, "RogerN" wrote:

That would be interesting, I have a friend that is big into his Halloween
display that would like something like that too :-)

RogerN

The best one I did was a plastic skull dressed up with ketchup and a
lace curtain, rigged to slide and flutter down fishline toward the
front door which I opened slowly from behind, out of sight but peeping
through the hinge side. Adults backed off with alarm, the kids just
grinned and held their candy bags up.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 19:48:18 -0600, "David R.Birch"
wrote:

RogerN wrote:

The 22lr with a smooth bore 12" barrel might be just the thing for close
range varmint control. I was afraid that pulling the trigger with R/C might
be illegal for FOID required ammo. Anyway, I have some shot cups for 44
magnum loads, that would make an interesting model tank!

RogerN

A 12" smoothbore barrel makes it a short barreled shotgun and an NFA
firearm. Check with state regs, then get your ATF stamp, then build it.

David

Humm...that would indeed likely fall into the Any Other catagory..which
is a $5 tax stamp.

Or one could simply make the barrel 18.125" long and not bother with the
authorities. clamp the barrel half way, and it becomes much more
managable. The receiver only needs to be about 2" long to fit all the
lock parts and firing pin. making the entire assembly about 20"
long.....there might be an issue there too....

Then one could simply make a muzzle loading barrel and call it a model
cannon with a much shorter barrel....

Humm...need to ponder on this a bit....

Gunner

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary
that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even
alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every
quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I need one of these to deter the neighbourhood ****ty cats that
frequent the areas kept sow and frost free by the overhang, both front
and rear on my side split.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:
Or one could simply make the barrel 18.125" long and not bother with the
authorities. clamp the barrel half way, and it becomes much more
managable. The receiver only needs to be about 2" long to fit all the
lock parts and firing pin. making the entire assembly about 20"
long.....there might be an issue there too....

Is there a minimum overall length limit on non-NFA weapons or is that a
state thing?

BobH
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 14:44:54 GMT, BobH
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
Or one could simply make the barrel 18.125" long and not bother with the
authorities. clamp the barrel half way, and it becomes much more
managable. The receiver only needs to be about 2" long to fit all the
lock parts and firing pin. making the entire assembly about 20"
long.....there might be an issue there too....

Is there a minimum overall length limit on non-NFA weapons or is that a
state thing?

BobH

26" overall, wth a 16" barrel for rifled arms, 18" for smoothbores.

Federal law btw.

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary
that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even
alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every
quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rebarrel a Ruger semi-auto pistol with a 14.5" rifled barrel with no twist
in it. Adapt a 100 shot 10-22 drum mag to the Mk1-3 mag. Add a laser pointer
for sighting and this thing can deploy for a week without reloading if the
batteries hold out.
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
Or one could simply make the barrel 18.125" long and not bother with

the
authorities. clamp the barrel half way, and it becomes much more
managable. The receiver only needs to be about 2" long to fit all the
lock parts and firing pin. making the entire assembly about 20"
long.....there might be an issue there too....

Is there a minimum overall length limit on non-NFA weapons or is that a
state thing?

BobH

26" overall, wth a 16" barrel for rifled arms, 18" for smoothbores.

Federal law btw.

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary
that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even
alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every
quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I've been thinking about an R/C toy that could be useful
for varmint control. *

Have you seen this?
http://www.quantumpicture.com/Flo_Co...lo_control.htm
Some cool ideas there, anyway.

Maybe even use the whole setup but with the access door going into a
box that contains the food bowls instead of into the house? Doesn't
fix the trash issue, but at least you'd fix half of the problem
(assuming the little rascals don't figure out another way into the
food enclosure). Or since you'd not likely be worried about the whole
excluding mice portion, just get the collar activated pet door and
sufficient collars for your pets?

--Glenn Lyford
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

The 22lr with a smooth bore 12" barrel might be just the thing for close
range varmint control. I was afraid that pulling the trigger with R/C might
be illegal for FOID required ammo. Anyway, I have some shot cups for 44
magnum loads, that would make an interesting model tank!

RogerN

Chamber barrel for this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/17-357_RG

Now that's a pretty cool round!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

At work some of the people take these 36" air wands / blow guns and have
made darts with foam earplugs and a sharpened wire, they shoot and kill
pigeons with the darts. Some others have fire set screws through the air
wands and claim they shoot pretty hard. From that kind of idea I could
construct an air gun and use darts or "bullets", may not kill a raccoon, but
I would think it wouldn't be coming around after getting stuck with a couple
of darts or hit with set screws.

Would ~100psi from a compressor shoot a projectile hard enough to deter a
varmint?

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

A 12" smoothbore barrel makes it a short barreled shotgun and an NFA
firearm. Check with state regs, then get your ATF stamp, then build it.

David

Humm...that would indeed likely fall into the Any Other catagory..which
is a $5 tax stamp.

More like a Marble Game Getter.

Or one could simply make the barrel 18.125" long and not bother with the
authorities. clamp the barrel half way, and it becomes much more
managable. The receiver only needs to be about 2" long to fit all the
lock parts and firing pin. making the entire assembly about 20"
long.....there might be an issue there too....

It still needs to be 26"+ OAL.

Then one could simply make a muzzle loading barrel and call it a model
cannon with a much shorter barrel....

Nah, just adapter one of those new Ruger pistols based on the 10-22
action.

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"David R.Birch" wrote in message
Gunner Asch wrote:

[...]

Huh? Wish I had not missed this one. Sounds interesting as heck.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RogerN wrote:

If I had to try to aim a gun while driving the vehicle and hit a target, now
that would be challenging! I've also wondered how a vehicle would handle if
I installed a heading hold gyro from a model helicopter in one.

That's the ticket! A miniature UH-60 with a gas
rifle! Chase those varmints across the
neighborhood, pop-pop-pop! As a side business,
you could sell the gun camera video!

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I found some related youtube videos for anyone interested

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra03lGCnfdA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elpA1kSTaMY

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 20:10:47 -0600, Jon Elson
wrote:

RogerN wrote:

If I had to try to aim a gun while driving the vehicle and hit a target, now
that would be challenging! I've also wondered how a vehicle would handle if
I installed a heading hold gyro from a model helicopter in one.

That's the ticket! A miniature UH-60 with a gas
rifle! Chase those varmints across the
neighborhood, pop-pop-pop! As a side business,
you could sell the gun camera video!

Jon

There is,or was, a business in Phuket, Thailand, that used a radio
controlled model airplane with some sort of camera to take aerial
photos of houses or businesses here. I saw the airplane and it had
about a 6 foot wing span. Whether the thing had some form of remote
camera that transmitted to the ground, or not, I didn't learn but it
either had that capability or a lot of luck as some of the photographs
on display were really well shot.

No reason something like that couldn't have a gun of some sort
installed, bore sighted to coincide with the center of the camera's
coverage at, say 50 ft, and you'd have a real varmint buster.

Probably a bit more expensive then rat traps or the sticky stuff that
they use over here but a lot more fun.
Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I've been doing a little searching on the web and experimenting. There are
youtube videos of mounting a video camera on a rifle scope and some videos
using the IR capabilities of video cameras to make economical IR night
vision rifle scopes. I saw a video of someone shooting rats that looked
pretty neat.

I bought a wireless network camera and have it in my carport now. Saw a
skunk coming up and getting into the cat food. Anyway, I tried and the
network camera could see the IR from the TV remote, not sure if it has an IR
filter or not. The thing I like least about this camera is that there is a
lag between live and the image I get on my PC. I think it would be better
to use some wireless cameral that transmits a video signal instead of
network data.

I also tried my camcorder looking through my rifle scope and a red dot sight
and that worked great. I wasn't sure if it would require a lens to focus,
but it doesn't, just needs to be held aligned.

Anyway I was looking for IR illuminators on eBay and found some IR laser
sights. They said you had to use night vision or a camera to see the dot,
sounds perfect. I'm thinking that if I make my gun turret balanced or
counter-balanced it shouldn't take much RC servo torque to aim it. I may
experiment with something like a Gamo air rifle for now and later make a gun
& camera I can use on an RC vehicle. I have a Traxxas E-Max 4x4 RC truck
that could handle a small gun & camera setup.

Tonight my son bought a CO2 pistol from Wal-Mart for $31 and it says it has
a muzzle velocity of 480fps and holds 15 BB's in the magazine. Sounds like
that could be a possibility for a vehicle mounted gun. I kind of like the
idea of shot filled 22lr, 38's, 9mm's, or 44's myself but the BB pistol may
be a cheap, quick, and easy way to get started.

So far things are looking very do-able on this project, plus a lot of fun
:-)

RogerN