mike ring

Default Radio alarm with remote control

Reading the thread about bedside lights prompted me to think of the gadget
I'd kill for, ie, as title.

I'd love to put the alarm radio on a shel across the room and just have a
remote control by the bed.

It wouldn't have to have a brilliant clock readout, as I have a small
conventional alarm clock which I like and use in addition if I really have
to get up. Small dig at the unretired ;-)

But I'd like the radio to come on, and be able to channel hop as each
channel in turn winds up my blood pressure.

A micro hifi would get close, but is really far too big, and I don't want
tapes, CD's or stereo, just talk radio.

I've been looking for yonks, and was looing again in some very big stores
today, but no luck.

Does such a thing exist - I'd even use DAB, which I thought would come
along and solve my prob, but I've never seen a DAB with a remote.

(There's a hook for cheap shots for anyone who'se read this far)

mike
Ian Stirling

mike ring wrote:
Reading the thread about bedside lights prompted me to think of the gadget
I'd kill for, ie, as title.

I'd love to put the alarm radio on a shel across the room and just have a
remote control by the bed.

Maximum dimensions?

It wouldn't have to have a brilliant clock readout, as I have a small
conventional alarm clock which I like and use in addition if I really have
to get up. Small dig at the unretired ;-)

But I'd like the radio to come on, and be able to channel hop as each
channel in turn winds up my blood pressure.

snip

Does such a thing exist - I'd even use DAB, which I thought would come
along and solve my prob, but I've never seen a DAB with a remote.

First thing that comes to mind that I know would work and is available is
a Digital TV box.
Plug a couple of small PC speakers into it, connect an ariel, and there you
are.
Some of these are very small.
They (all?) do not have alarms.
Lee

mike ring wrote:
I'd love to put the alarm radio on a shel across the room and just have a
remote control by the bed.
A micro hifi would get close, but is really far too big, and I don't want
tapes, CD's or stereo, just talk radio.

That ludicrously overpriced Bose thing may have the functions you want,
IIRC it does have a remote for the radio anyway.

If you want to stay within a sensible price bracket, then a micro or
"compact" hifi would probably be the closest in function.
We use a "boombox" mini hifi which has an alarm clock and full remote -
but as you say, they are still large in comparison to a clock radio.

Lee
--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.
Lee

Lee wrote:

That ludicrously overpriced Bose thing may have the functions you want,
IIRC it does have a remote for the radio anyway.

Yep seems it does:
http://www.bose.co.uk/home_audio/wave_systems/radio/

Surely someone must make a similar, but reasonably priced item though?

Lee
--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.
mike ring

Lee wrote in
:

That ludicrously overpriced Bose thing may have the functions you
want,
IIRC it does have a remote for the radio anyway.

If you want to stay within a sensible price bracket, then a micro or
"compact" hifi would probably be the closest in function.
We use a "boombox" mini hifi which has an alarm clock and full remote
- but as you say, they are still large in comparison to a clock radio.

Lee

The chap in Curry's suggested one of them, but even micros are still a bit
monster.

There was also a couple radio/cd units, but they only had "partial" remote
control, no station change, which was reely reely disappointing.

I did consider a Bose but the money's silly, as wel as it being a bit big.

DAB might be a small problem - I don't know if there's any delay on it, but
if I'm listening to the radio I tend to have one on in every room, but the
digital channels are about a second out of sync.

Modern bloody progress - phooey

mike

Owain

"mike ring" wrote
| There was also a couple radio/cd units, but they only had "partial"
| remote control, no station change, which was reely reely disappointing.

It depends on what time you / the OP want to get up.

You could use a freeview box with its inbuilt change channel timer. You
would have to check it allows you to change its channel during a 'timed'
segment.

Community Channel is silent for 21 hours except 6am-9am
CBeebies is silent 7pm-7am
The MHEG channels like Teletext are silent all the time, I think.

If you get a freeview box with an led display, it will facilitate selecting
the desired audio channel without it being connected to a TV, and should
show the time during 'standby' changing to the selected channel at wake-up
time.

If the timer function doesn't work as desired, plug the amplified speakers
into a timeswitch and use that to control timed on/off, with the freeview
box continually powered.

Owain

mike ring

"Owain" wrote in
:

You could use a freeview box with its inbuilt change channel timer.
You would have to check it allows you to change its channel during a
'timed' segment.

If the timer function doesn't work as desired, plug the amplified
speakers into a timeswitch and use that to control timed on/off, with
the freeview box continually powered.

Owain

Thanks for the suggestion, Owain, but it's all a bit big - I don't really
want a television or amplifier/speakers.

It's just that there's a million alarm clock/radios about (I've got two),
but I'd love one with a remote control, so I could put it on a shelf over
there, and save space at the bedside for alcohol/medication/flea powder
annd the serious alarm clock with a proper face and light.

mike
dave @ stejonda

In message 0, mike
ring writes
Reading the thread about bedside lights prompted me to think of the
gadget I'd kill for, ie, as title.

I'd love to put the alarm radio on a shel across the room and just have
a remote control by the bed.

In an idle moment I looked around and came across this...

http://www.qed-uk.com/?vp=6&bg=207&b...&bi=0&ird=1405

That styling makes me cringe but it does everything you say you want
AFAICS.

it also seems to be available in red:

http://www.qed-uk.com/?vp=6&bg=207&b...&bi=0&ird=1405

and white:

hth

--
dave @ stejonda
Bring culture back to NTL.
mike ring

"dave @ stejonda" wrote in
:

Reading the thread about bedside lights prompted me to think of the
gadget I'd kill for, ie, as title.

I'd love to put the alarm radio on a shel across the room and just
have a remote control by the bed.

In an idle moment I looked around and came across this...

http://www.qed-uk.com/?vp=6&bg=207&b...&bi=0&ird=1405

That styling makes me cringe but it does everything you say you want
AFAICS.

I'll check it out, I can't find the dimensions yet; it's a bit big, but I
think smaller than the separates.

Also I'll have to check out if the remote has full control of station
switching, quite a lot haven't, so I'll end up hurling the r/c at the radio
instead of switching away from Nick Wossname, or the blarney fairy, etc.

Ive found a couple of DABs, the Sony XDRS1 and The all english Roberts
(made in Taiwan) RD6, but they're a bit pricy and may not even be available
yet.

Thanks for the info

mike
Julie

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 18:03:34 +0000 (UTC), mike ring
wrote:

It's just that there's a million alarm clock/radios about (I've got two),
but I'd love one with a remote control, so I could put it on a shelf over
there, and save space at the bedside for alcohol/medication/flea powder
annd the serious alarm clock with a proper face and light.

It might be a bit bigger than what you want as it's also a CD player,
but the Goodmans GCDR1950R Clock Radio has a remote control. Or this
one http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/CRESOU.htm might work, although
it's rather expensive.

I've done a bit of searching and it doesn't look as though a simple
clock radio with a remote exists, unless it also includes a CD player.

--

Julie S

mike ring

Julie wrote in
:

It's just that there's a million alarm clock/radios about (I've got
two), but I'd love one with a remote control,

It might be a bit bigger than what you want as it's also a CD player,
but the Goodmans GCDR1950R Clock Radio has a remote control. Or this
one http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/CRESOU.htm might work, although
it's rather expensive.

I think I've checked this one, TBH there's a lot like it so I'm not quite
sure, I will look again, but I'm pretty sure the remote control is only
partial, and will only do CD funtions and volume.

I think they do it just to annoy me.

The other's right up there with the Bose, and apart from the price, I don't
think I'm ready for serious audio with powered subwoofer at sparrows....

mike
Adrian C

mike ring wrote:
The other's right up there with the Bose, and apart from the price, I don't
think I'm ready for serious audio with powered subwoofer at sparrows....

mike

Just get a couple (or three - depending on what talk radio stations you
listen to) of cheap small clock radios, hack a connection inside each to
mute the speaker, and trail an indiscrete bunch of wires to your bedside
table with a rotary switch.

I take it it's Nick Ferrari (LBC) that winds you up?
:-)

--

Adrian C
Owain

"Adrian C" wrote
| Just get a couple (or three - depending on what talk radio stations
| you listen to) of cheap small clock radios, hack a connection inside
| each to mute the speaker, and trail an indiscrete bunch of wires to
| your bedside table with a rotary switch.

A variant on the Crossroads class of hotel (and hospital) bedhead radios,
about 6 channels fed from central 100V tuner/amps, with a 1-watt speaker in
a bedhead unit with rotary switches for channel and (stepped attenuator)
volume.

Owain

mike ring

"Owain" wrote in
:

"Adrian C" wrote
| Just get a couple (or three - depending on what talk radio stations
| you listen to) of cheap small clock radios, hack a connection inside
| each to mute the speaker, and trail an indiscrete bunch of wires to
| your bedside table with a rotary switch.

A variant on the Crossroads class of hotel (and hospital) bedhead
radios, about 6 channels fed from central 100V tuner/amps, with a
1-watt speaker in a bedhead unit with rotary switches for channel and
(stepped attenuator) volume.

Owain

A couple of good ideas there but to be honest, both too much like work; at
the moment I have to keep changing channel on a pushbutton set.

And the sources of the annoyance; not so much the presenter as the subject
that gives me apoplexy, gender, race issues, religion, anything in a Scotch
accent - that's nearly everyone in the meejah, and nearly all the
interviewees, silly competitions, the awful records that local radio keeps
putting on...it's just a little list!

mike

tony sayer

In article 0, mike
ring writes
"Owain" wrote in
:

"Adrian C" wrote
| Just get a couple (or three - depending on what talk radio stations
| you listen to) of cheap small clock radios, hack a connection inside
| each to mute the speaker, and trail an indiscrete bunch of wires to
| your bedside table with a rotary switch.

A variant on the Crossroads class of hotel (and hospital) bedhead
radios, about 6 channels fed from central 100V tuner/amps, with a
1-watt speaker in a bedhead unit with rotary switches for channel and
(stepped attenuator) volume.

Owain

A couple of good ideas there but to be honest, both too much like work; at
the moment I have to keep changing channel on a pushbutton set.

And the sources of the annoyance; not so much the presenter as the subject
that gives me apoplexy, gender, race issues, religion, anything in a Scotch
accent - that's nearly everyone in the meejah, and nearly all the
interviewees, silly competitions, the awful records that local radio keeps
putting on...

You wouldn't believe it, but they pay a fortune to "focus group
consultants" to tell them which reckords to play;(

--
Tony Sayer

mike ring

tony sayer wrote in
:

In article 0, mike
ring writes

, the awful records
that local radio keeps putting on...

You wouldn't believe it, but they pay a fortune to "focus group
consultants" to tell them which reckords to play;(

I don't mind the focus groups; I played folk myself once - it's the rest

mike