Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RogerN RogerN is offline

Default Radio Control Varmint Control

I've been doing a little searching on the web and experimenting. There are
youtube videos of mounting a video camera on a rifle scope and some videos
using the IR capabilities of video cameras to make economical IR night
vision rifle scopes. I saw a video of someone shooting rats that looked
pretty neat.

I bought a wireless network camera and have it in my carport now. Saw a
skunk coming up and getting into the cat food. Anyway, I tried and the
network camera could see the IR from the TV remote, not sure if it has an IR
filter or not. The thing I like least about this camera is that there is a
lag between live and the image I get on my PC. I think it would be better
to use some wireless cameral that transmits a video signal instead of
network data.

I also tried my camcorder looking through my rifle scope and a red dot sight
and that worked great. I wasn't sure if it would require a lens to focus,
but it doesn't, just needs to be held aligned.

Anyway I was looking for IR illuminators on eBay and found some IR laser
sights. They said you had to use night vision or a camera to see the dot,
sounds perfect. I'm thinking that if I make my gun turret balanced or
counter-balanced it shouldn't take much RC servo torque to aim it. I may
experiment with something like a Gamo air rifle for now and later make a gun
& camera I can use on an RC vehicle. I have a Traxxas E-Max 4x4 RC truck
that could handle a small gun & camera setup.

Tonight my son bought a CO2 pistol from Wal-Mart for $31 and it says it has
a muzzle velocity of 480fps and holds 15 BB's in the magazine. Sounds like
that could be a possibility for a vehicle mounted gun. I kind of like the
idea of shot filled 22lr, 38's, 9mm's, or 44's myself but the BB pistol may
be a cheap, quick, and easy way to get started.

So far things are looking very do-able on this project, plus a lot of fun
:-)

RogerN