PoP

Default Screwfix

Others can make up their own mind about the following, and whether
Screwfix are a company they feel happy dealing with. I'm reporting the
facts only.

A couple of weeks ago, as reported on this newsgroup, I ordered nearly
£200 worth of goods from Screwfix, and because I needed these
materials urgently I paid the additional £9 for express next day
delivery before 10am. I then waited in for that delivery, cancelling
other possible jobs.

The goods did not arrive by 10am, so I phoned Screwfix to be advised
that the goods had been packed, but they had forgotten to ship them
out of the warehouse.

I received them the following day, but the goods supplied did not
match my order. When I phoned I got told the usual tripe about they
wouldn't ship the missing items of my order until they had received
back those surplus items I had received (those surplus items included
3 heavy boxes of stainless steel tiles - £340 worth!!!). Naturally, I
expressed my delight at this arrangement and eventually they backed
down to ship my order first, then collect the goods the following day.

Yet more days of lost productivity waiting in for Screwfix to deliver
and then collect (two separate occasions a day apart).

When the materials were collected to go back to Screwfix the driver
commented that he had delivered those very heavy materials a couple of
days earlier, and that they (the deliveries company) apparently spent
quite a lot of their time going back to collect goods which Screwfix
shipped wrongly. I imagine this situation must really hurt Screwfix's
bottom line.

I wrote to the MD of Screwfix complaining that they had shipped my
express order a day late, but hadn't bothered refunding the express
payment. And pointing out that their screw-up had cost me time and
money. Most companies would respond with an "oops, sorry about that"
as a minimum. Not Screwfix.

I got a refund about a week later. I've never had an apology or any
other goodwill gesture at any time.

At the same time I registered domain name screwfixsucks.co.uk,
intending to publish the factual information about this and other
matters which their company screw up - apparently frequently -
according to what I read on this newsgroup and elsewhere.

Since that took place my attitude has calmed down and I've forgotten
about the matter to the extent that I was about to place another order
with Screwfix. That was, until this mornings post brought the
following threatening letter from Screwfix:

http://www.anyoldtripe.co.uk/Image1.jpg

I find it to be a tremendous pity that a company like Screwfix, who I
understand belong to B&Q, intend to go for a litigation approach where
a very simple apology for their own foul-up would have easily rescued
bad feeling and got me back on-side.

If they'd been smart enough to give a very simple "sorry, we got it
wrong", I'd have transferred the domain to them at no cost. I have no
wish to get involved in an orchestrated campaign about any company. I
just want to run my own successful little business without these
monster companies who have forgotten about how costly it is to run a
small business giving me a bad day feeling.

Whilst I most probably shan't use the domain name in question I shall
most certainly be obliged to register my displeasure with the company
as far and wide as possible from now on - and publish the facts to all
and sundry. Well done Screwfix, big own goal here which you could so
easily have avoided by just being honest and accepting that you were
clearly and unambiguously at fault.

And just for the record, in the past I have been very positive about
Screwfix and their deliveries on this newsgroup and elsewhere. All
companies slip up sometimes and whilst this one occasion hurt me, in
the general context of things I had been a happy camper where Screwfix
were concerned. Never again.

And as far as B&Q and Screwfix are concerned I have spent literally
thousands of pounds in their warehouses and online over a period of
time. Guess where I'll be taking my business in future?

PoP

---
If you need to contact me please submit your comments
via the web form at http://www.anyoldtripe.co.uk. I'll
probably still ignore you but at least I'll get the
message.....
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article , PoP
URL:mailto

And as far as B&Q and Screwfix are concerned I have spent literally
thousands of pounds in their warehouses and online over a period of
time. Guess where I'll be taking my business in future?

Well they haven't changed then. I thought their attitude over spamming was
bad enough, but veiled threats over a domain name that contains theirs is
just proof of an anti customer attitude. Makes you wonder how they expect to
stay in business.

You are welcome to archive my postings on the site if you like, I am still
itching to issue County Court proceedings for the invoice they didn't pay.
:-)

Andy Hall

On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 09:28:44 +0000, PoP wrote:

Since that took place my attitude has calmed down and I've forgotten
about the matter to the extent that I was about to place another order
with Screwfix. That was, until this mornings post brought the
following threatening letter from Screwfix:

http://www.anyoldtripe.co.uk/Image1.jpg

Notice also that it isn't signed by an individual.

This is the typical behaviour of large firms of lawyers and
accountants where letters are signed in the name of the company and
not the individual writing the letter. Nobody wants to accept
responsibility.

Somebody there certainly is into domain name management.

Most of the spelling mistakes that you might make will take you to
their site. For example:

www.screwfux.com

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Scott Mills

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 09:28:44 +0000, PoP wrote:

Since that took place my attitude has calmed down and I've forgotten
about the matter to the extent that I was about to place another order
with Screwfix. That was, until this mornings post brought the
following threatening letter from Screwfix:

http://www.anyoldtripe.co.uk/Image1.jpg

Notice also that it isn't signed by an individual.

This is the typical behaviour of large firms of lawyers and
accountants where letters are signed in the name of the company and
not the individual writing the letter. Nobody wants to accept
responsibility.

Somebody there certainly is into domain name management.

Most of the spelling mistakes that you might make will take you to
their site. For example:

www.screwfux.com

I was disapointed to see that they had not registered www.screwdix.com

stuart noble

PoP wrote in message ...
I've given up expecting anything to work these days, or rather anything that
people are involved with. If robots did the packing, like they make the
cars, no problem.
A friend in electronics says that pretty soon a typical factory will be in
the middle of nowhere, run totally by a man and a dog. The dog will take
care of security and the man will be there to feed the dog. Personally, I
look forward to that.

NumptyDumpty

snip

I'm in the process of a complete re-wire/re-structure of my lighting (which
is in a right mess!).
I was about to place an order with them, but I was holding back because of
some of the recent bad comments. The order (over £300) for lighting units,
has now been placed with a local Focus outlet.

BTW
I'd been looking for a range of matching up and down lights to do a complete
re-work or all my lighting. I was very pleasantly surprised by the range and
quality available in the local Focus outlet; well worth a look, in my humble
opinion!

Aenuff

"PoP" wrote in message
[...]

In fairness to SF I've used them for nearly 5 years and have probably spent
a couple of grand over that time. Most recent was £200 on a ladder, hose
real and 7 pairs of SS hinges. The ladder being on 14 day delivery was
ordered at the same time as the hinges.

The hose real appears next day, the hinges the day after and the ladder
followed the following day. They split the orders, delivered what they could
and the whole lot was here within 2-3 working days from order. I don't think
thats too bad.

Last time I did a guaranteed next day it was on time but they have missed
deliveries before, each time they have apologised and given me a tenner
voucher which is okay by me. If I need immediately I buy it locally as there
are too many links in the chain between SF and me and it only takes a
carriers van to break down and your not going to get your delivery on time.

John Laird

Oddly, www.screwyou.com takes you somewhere entirely different ;-)

--
I'm a disfunctional husband of a BBS widow.

Mail john rather than nospam...
PJO

Guess where I'll be taking my business in future?

PoP

I give up. I can't guess. Where?

chris French

In message , Huge
writes
BTW, unless you are "passing off", Screwfix are on pretty thin ice.
Tell them to get stuffed.

I don't think they are bothered about the domain name itself, I think
they are more concerned about the content that might appear on a such
named site.

--
Chris French, Leeds

John Stumbles

"PoP" wrote in message
[...]

Well to be fair I can see their point: I guess if you had a dissatisfied
customer* who registered 'handymacsucks.co.uk' you'd be a bit defensive!
From what I can see they're saying "we know about it and whilst we're not
very happy about it we're not going to get heavy unless we consider we have
to".

* with the best will in the world I'm sure we all have them - sometimes for
whatever reason a job goes pear-shaped and we rub the customer up the wrong
way and they end up convinced we're the rogues/cowboys they've been warned
about

... these
monster companies .. have forgotten about how costly it is to run a
small business ...

Was Screwfix ever a small business or was it born fully fledged out of some
larger group? I'm sure whoever in that organisation originally bust their
guts getting the primordial small business going has long since retired to a
sunny paradise (or at least from day-to-day running of the business).

I think Screwfix's (and B&Q's) policies towards customers (no-questions
refunds etc) are driven by hard-nosed commercial considerations rather than
any inherent moral position or sympathy for the small trader. Where they
mess someone about the way they have with you it's the business not working
properly, not how it's supposed to work. If they thought it would be more
profitable overall to rip off and shaft customers at every step they'd do
that 99% consistently and efficiently, and we'd only hear stories of
"Screwfix did such-and-such right" instead. (There may be businesses like
Marks&Sparks, John Lewis & the Co-Op whose business practices are driven by
ethical criteria, but if non-ethically based businesses do so it's simply
because it makes commercial sense.)

I agree Screwfix's customer relations practice has (evidently!) f**ed up in
their dealings with your order as you described. FWIW I've had a day's work
buggered up by their (or rather ParcelFarce's) failure to make an express
delivery. (In my case they did refund the delivery surcharge without any
problem.) Now I use them when I don't need stuff in a hurry (arranging my
diary accordingly if I want stuff from them).

Having said all that I haven't been back to Safeway since one evening in
January last year when a Security primate accused me of being a shoplifter
(not of shoplifting there and then - I'd only just walked into the store -
but of being someone he'd seen being arrested for shoplifting at another
Safeway's store 10 miles away). The fact that the manager backed him up and
said he was barring me from the store without listening to me, and that when
I wrote to the MD I got a letter back from some admin nobody saying they
couldn't be arsed to find out what had happened but I was welcome to go back
and spend my money in their store, ****ed me off so much I've just avoided
using them since. So I think I understand your outrage about SF!

Zipadee Doodar

Having said all that I haven't been back to Safeway since one evening in
January last year when a Security primate accused me of being a shoplifter
(not of shoplifting there and then - I'd only just walked into the store -
but of being someone he'd seen being arrested for shoplifting at another
Safeway's store 10 miles away). The fact that the manager backed him up

and
said he was barring me from the store without listening to me, and that

when
I wrote to the MD I got a letter back from some admin nobody saying they
couldn't be arsed to find out what had happened but I was welcome to go

back
and spend my money in their store, ****ed me off so much I've just avoided
using them since. So I think I understand your outrage about SF!

Did you sue for defamation etc?

Tony Bryer

In article , PoP wrote:
And as far as B&Q and Screwfix are concerned I have spent literally
thousands of pounds in their warehouses and online over a period of
time. Guess where I'll be taking my business in future?

My experience of B&Q is unhappy too. Order placed via website for one
non-stock kitchen unit about 15th Jan is acknowledged with 14-day
delivery. They then phone to confirm an earliest possible delivery
date of Feb 20th ... it doesn't come. After a number of phone calls
they admit the error and say that as a special favour they've been
able to reschedule it for March 2nd (last Tuesday) - a mere ten days
after the promised date. It doesn't come. Phone up Wed a.m. and they
say that they didn't manage it Tues but will be today. It finally
turns up on Thuesday. Three whole days of waiting in for a delivery
that didn't come. Plus living with a half complete kitchen for a
couple more weeks.

PoP

On 6 Mar 2004 18:29:01 GMT, (Huge) wrote:

I don't think they are bothered about the domain name itself, I think
they are more concerned about the content that might appear on a such
named site.

So long as it isn't libellous, I refer you to my previous comment.

I purchased the domain name to publicise the facts of the situation
which confronted me a short time ago. All factual information, nothing
libellous there at all. I picked the domain name because I had seen a
similar thing for paypalsucks.com and thought that there should be a
similar thing for Screwfix.

Basically I placed an order. That order had an uplift charge of £9 to
guarantee next day delivery by 10am. Screwfix managed to forget to
ship the order. And then had the audacity to charge me the £9 when it
arrived 24 hours after it should have done! (I eventually got the £9
back, but only after I raised a complaint).

When the order DID arrive (48 hours after being submitted) the
contents of the delivered materials were different to what I had
ordered - some of the things I had ordered were missing, and Screwfix
managed to include about £340 worth of items which I hadn't ordered.
With the experience I have just had with this letter, in future I will
keep hold of any mis-shipped items and sell them on ebay to make a
profit. Their loss, not mine - their shipping sheet clearly showed
what was supposed to have been in the box, not what was actually in
the box, so they have no record of what got shipped!

Basically if you receive something in your Screwfix order which you
didn't order they have no way of knowing unless you tell them. So keep
it and sell it on is my advice. Meanwhile don't hesitate to inform
them if there's something missing from your order.

Obviously with their bungling of this situation I shall continue to
broadcast their ridiculous customer satisfaction attitude far and wide
for a long time to come - with the sole intention of damaging their
potential order value. I'll do that by reporting facts, not hearsay.
If I can persuade other people to buy elsewhere then that will be a
wholly good thing as far as I am concerned, and indeed because I buy
DIY goods for my customers I can certainly enforce reduced order
values time after time - previously I had used Screwfix as a preferred
supplier because it was convenient for me, but from here on in they
will be at the tail end of Axminster, D&M Tools, Homebase, Wickes,
Focus, etc. Silly buggers!

The simple option to have fixed this situation would have been for
them to simply say "okay, we got it wrong". That would have finished
the matter for me and we'd continue to be camping happily. Of course,
they could have sent me a token for say £10 as well to help mend my
bad feeling. Instead they will lose many times that amount because of
their attitude - whilst I might decide to use Screwfix again in the
future I shall take delight to order from their competitors wherever
it makes sense to do so.

One other thing I just noticed too - the letter I received from them
today (which I have in front of me and have published on the web site)
has a date of 24th February. Today is 6th March. They are just so hot
at dealing with customers!

PoP

---
If you need to contact me please submit your comments
via the web form at
http://www.anyoldtripe.co.uk. I'll
probably still ignore you but at least I'll get the
message.....
PoP

On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 18:49:45 -0000, "John Stumbles"
wrote:

* with the best will in the world I'm sure we all have them - sometimes for

Don't get me wrong - I can understand that things can and do go wrong
in any company and I have a very forgiving attitude about such things.
And when my order didn't turn up on the prescribed day I was pretty
laid back about it - I didn't shout or jump up and down thumping the
desk, I just spoke quietly to the lady at the other end and arranged
the re-schedule for the following day. An inconvenience for me but job
done.

But I felt a duty to write to the Screwfix MD to advise him of my
dis-satisfaction at the service his organisation had offered - on the
basis that I wanted Screwfix to improve their services and reduce
their outlay on dealing with problem orders - that would help everyone
because then they could keep their prices down. Again I was quite laid
back about the letter I sent. I expected a reasonable response along
the lines of "we are so sorry we messed this up - we will try harder".
This isn't difficult to do, neither is it costly in terms of customer
satisfaction.

Instead I get no response whatsoever. When the order did arrive it was
wholly misconfigured. It took about a week to get my £9 fast delivery
refunded. And now a couple of weeks after my displeasure has died down
and gone away I get a threatening letter. I had moved on from feeling
bad about Screwfix - and they decided to relight the fuse.

Why was this threatening letter so necessary? I can understand them
having a problem with someone doing what I did in terms of getting the
domain name, no problem there. But they could have approached it a bit
more diplomatically IMHO, and I'd have been very happy to transfer the
domain to them on their request - I would have been doing them a
favour by taking a domain name out of circulation that could
potentially be used to damage their reputation. But now, sod them -
even if they can get nominet to listen to their whingeing and effect a
transfer they can have the maximum amount of inconvenience I can make
available.

The threatening letter would have probably been appropriate if I had
published something on that domain which they had an issue with. Then
I would expect their legal team to be threatening me if I didn't
remove it, and I would probably deserve the consequences.

I might add that had Screwfix dealt with this situation
sympathetically instead of aggressively I would almost certainly have
been singing their praises here and elsewhere about what a great
company they are to deal with despite their occasional shortcomings.
It does seem so silly that they cannot grasp the simple concept that
customers are worth looking after.

PoP

---
If you need to contact me please submit your comments
via the web form at http://www.anyoldtripe.co.uk. I'll
probably still ignore you but at least I'll get the
message.....

John Rumm

PoP wrote:

[...]

Not defending screwfix since they obviously made a mistake, but, you do
seem to be assuming that the letter about the domain name is in some way
connected to the rest of the saga.

Chances are, screwfix employ a company to keep watch over their online
trade names and web presence. I would of thought the chances of them
even being aware of particular order / delivery problems and disputes is
slim.

(must admit I am surprised they did not already have the sux variant
registered though ;-)

So ask yourself how you feel about the situation had the domain name
letter not been received?

--
Cheers,

John.

Toby

PoP wrote:
Why was this threatening letter so necessary? I can understand them

Personally I can't see any threat.
They only seem to hint that if you defame them, they will defend themselves.

I think your experience, although unfortunate, is just a symptom of dealing
with a large faceless callcentre & warehousing operation.

--
Toby.

PoP

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 00:11:03 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

So ask yourself how you feel about the situation had the domain name
letter not been received?

The matter had already been forgotten about.

PoP

---
If you need to contact me please submit your comments
via the web form at http://www.anyoldtripe.co.uk. I'll
probably still ignore you but at least I'll get the
message.....
Michael Mcneil

"Scott Mills" wrote in message

Somebody there certainly is into domain name management.

Most of the spelling mistakes that you might make will take you to
their site. For example:

www.screwfux.com

I was disapointed to see that they had not registered www.screwdix.com

I wonder if this could be turned into a test of search engines:

(What is a klutz by the way?)

Grouch

PoP wrote:

[snip]

|| And as far as B&Q and Screwfix are concerned I have spent literally
|| thousands of pounds in their warehouses and online over a period of
|| time. Guess where I'll be taking my business in future?
|| PoP
|| ---
|| If you need to contact me please submit your comments
|| via the web form at http://www.anyoldtripe.co.uk. I'll
|| probably still ignore you but at least I'll get the
|| message.....

So Thousands of Pounds over a period of time and one cockup later, your
taking your Business elsewere, because of one stupid mistake that occured in
stores of screwfix. This can happen where ever you order from, what you
gonna do when you order elsewhere and the same thing occurs. I think you cut
off your nose to spite your face, and probably will still place orders with
screwfix.

What you have to rember is your order does not just go to one department, it
can probably go through three or four and names and addresses get mixed up
along the way. A typical firm for cockups like this a Catalogue ordering
firm.

--
Grouch

Andy Hall

On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 09:05:09 +0000 (UTC), "Michael Mcneil"
wrote:

"Scott Mills" wrote in message

Somebody there certainly is into domain name management.

Most of the spelling mistakes that you might make will take you to
their site. For example:

www.screwfux.com

I was disapointed to see that they had not registered www.screwdix.com

I wonder if this could be turned into a test of search engines:

(What is a klutz by the way?)

A Yiddish word (specifically Amercian Yiddish):

Klutz (rhymes with guts) n :

A clumsy, awkward person. A person who trips over things, bumps into
walls and has "two left feet." A klutz is a person who frequently
trips on his own shoelaces, falls over furniture and manages to drip
mustard on his/her lap with such regularity that it confounds the laws
of probability. Klutz's, however, are not unloved because they are
usually the victims of their own misdeeds.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
chris French

In message , PoP
writes
And now a couple of weeks after my displeasure has died down
and gone away I get a threatening letter. I had moved on from feeling
bad about Screwfix - and they decided to relight the fuse.

As someone else said, I don't think there is any connection between the
two events

Chris French, Leeds
Peter Parry

On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 23:39:09 +0000, PoP
wrote:

Obviously with their bungling of this situation I shall continue to
broadcast their ridiculous customer satisfaction attitude far and wide
for a long time to come - with the sole intention of damaging their
potential order value. I'll do that by reporting facts, not hearsay.

Be careful - you may well have just turned your "facts" into libel
even if they are largely true.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
PoP

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 14:55:40 +0000, Peter Parry
wrote:

Be careful - you may well have just turned your "facts" into libel
even if they are largely true.

Actually, 24 hours on I've calmed down again.

PoP

---
If you need to contact me please submit your comments
via the web form at http://www.anyoldtripe.co.uk. I'll
probably still ignore you but at least I'll get the
message.....
PoP

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 10:49:54 +0000, guv wrote:

You are right. It can happen elsewhere. However it is the manner they
have dealt with the cock up here that is alarming. If they had dealt
with it properly, then your point is valid - or is it you believe all
other companies have no customer services?

My point exactly. All it would have taken was a very simple "sorry"
and it would have been enough.

PoP

---
If you need to contact me please submit your comments
via the web form at http://www.anyoldtripe.co.uk. I'll
probably still ignore you but at least I'll get the
message.....

John Stumbles

"Zipadee Doodar" wrote in message

[...]

Talked to m'learned friends who said unless they'd said it in the hearing of
a friend of mine or to enough bystanders then it wasn't actionable.

John Stumbles

"John Rumm" wrote in message
PoP wrote:

Chances are, screwfix employ a company to keep watch over their online
trade names and web presence. I would of thought the chances of them
even being aware of particular order / delivery problems and disputes is
slim.

- or maybe someone at sf reads this group? (In which case nil points to
them for not responding to the initial ****ed-off-customer situation.)

Andy Hall

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 00:06:11 -0000, "John Stumbles"
wrote:

[...]

Well, with any luck, the impending take over by Morrisons will result
in substantial upheaval, loss of customers and store closures.

There are too many supermarkets anyway, and they are frequently in
places where their presence highly disrupts the traffic flow.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Ian Stirling

guv wrote:
On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 16:52:46 +0000, PoP wrote:

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 10:49:54 +0000, guv wrote:

You are right. It can happen elsewhere. However it is the manner they
have dealt with the cock up here that is alarming. If they had dealt
with it properly, then your point is valid - or is it you believe all
other companies have no customer services?

My point exactly. All it would have taken was a very simple "sorry"
and it would have been enough.

Some companies never learn. Don't get me started on ebuyer.co.uk! ;-)

Who have delivered some 30-40 orders to me without major problems,
and processed 3 returns without too much delay.

Have I upset Screwfix? PoP UK diy 38 February 22nd 04 11:03 AM
Screwfix Rick Dipper UK diy 18 January 9th 04 10:57 PM
Screwfix foam gun problems! Steve North UK diy 1 September 23rd 03 03:37 PM
Screwfix :-( Ian UK diy 13 September 3rd 03 06:15 PM
Screwfix gun grade expanding foam James Hart UK diy 1 August 11th 03 03:01 PM