PoP

Default Have I upset Screwfix?

I certainly intend to!

Two days ago a job came up where I needed something urgent from
Screwfix. Placed the order (nearly £200 worth!) at 1pm in the
afternoon, and raised the ante by requesting fastest possible delivery
by 10am the next morning (yesterday). That way I could go back on-site
and do the job yesterday.

10:05am yesterday - no delivery. On the phone to Screwfix asking where
my order was. Quick check on the computer system......"I'm sorry Sir,
it was packed last night but it is still sitting in the warehouse".

"Err, but I paid for fastest delivery......!"

Lots of apologies. Order was despatched yesterday.

It turned up this morning before 10am (not good enough Screwfix, but
that's an argument for another time). Delivery man had problems
stumbling up the garden path with it - it was damned heavy! Most odd,
because I hadn't ordered anything particularly heavy.

Opened the order up. About 50% of what I ordered was in the box. The
other items I had ordered were completely missing.

And there were some additional items within. 3 long flexible bath tap
hoses with valves - I didn't order those. And nor did I order the 3
boxes of stainless steel tiles which were the heavy items. Those boxes
are £110 each, so Screwfix blew it big time with this order.

Got on the blower to Screwfix, got told that the rest of my order
could not be shipped until they had received back the surplus items
and checked them back in. I told the guy to stuff it - I'd buy the
items I needed elsewhere and keep the £340 worth of goods they'd
shipped by mistake as compensation instead.

After a quick chat with Screwfix supervisor the guy on the end of the
phone said he'd got permission to send my order now, and collect
after. Great customer satisfaction - now why didn't they think of that
first?

AND.....remember I paid for fastest delivery? Well they haven't
refunded that payment - so I've paid for fastest possible delivery
from Screwfix, they didn't abide by the contract, and they expect me
to pay for it. Letter has gone off to the Managing Director of
Screwfix to explain why I'm feeling very unhappy.

Given the number of problems people seem to be having with Screwfix
I'm thinking about setting up a ScrewfixSux web site where people can
record their feelings about this great company, just like you get with
PayPal and NTL (and probably others). Anyone else think this might be
a good idea?

PoP

-----

My published email address probably won't work. If
you need to contact me please submit your comments
via the web form at http://www.anyoldtripe.co.uk

I apologise for the additional effort, however the
level of unsolicited email I receive makes it
impossible to advertise my real email address!
Lurch

snip familiar sounding rant

I've stopped bothering with Screwfix unless they're way cheaper than
everywhere else or the only place that stocks a particular item, which
is extremely rare.

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Grouch

"PoP" wrote in message
[...]

====================
Moral of the story is get up of your fat arse and nip down there or your
local diy saves money and disappiontment

Grouch

rm at http://www.anyoldtripe.co.uk

I apologise for the additional effort, however the
level of unsolicited email I receive makes it
impossible to advertise my real email address!

Zymurgy

PoP wrote

I certainly intend to!

Well you've upset me, when are you going to reply to my e-mail ?

Are you busy or something ... ;-)

Paul.
StealthUK

Was it an internet or phone order?

I've not had too many problems with Screwfix. 99% of the time it's
been a problem with the courier. In a recent order I was sent one Cat
5 module instead of the pack of 5 I ordered. Didn't make a big
difference to me as I had ordered surplus to current requirements.

I don't think there is one mail order company you will ever have a
smooth ride with, unfortunately. I never rely on anything mail order
now, I always wait for the stuff to turn up first or keep items in
stock. If I need it straight away I'll grab it from Wickes or B&Q etc.
A day wasted normally outweighs any saving you may have made by
ordering from Screwfix.

Lobster

PoP wrote in message . ..

10:05am yesterday - no delivery. On the phone to Screwfix asking where
my order was. Quick check on the computer system......"I'm sorry Sir,
it was packed last night but it is still sitting in the warehouse".

"Err, but I paid for fastest delivery......!"

I placed an order earlier today and was told before I'd even said who
or where I was, that I wouldn't get it till Friday (so much for the
'usually next day delivery', which I have to say has almost always
happened for me). Very busy apparently... it does worry me that their
standards are slipping though. But at least they warned me in
advance.

snip

Got on the blower to Screwfix, got told that the rest of my order
could not be shipped until they had received back the surplus items
and checked them back in. I told the guy to stuff it - I'd buy the
items I needed elsewhere and keep the £340 worth of goods they'd
shipped by mistake as compensation instead.

After a quick chat with Screwfix supervisor the guy on the end of the
phone said he'd got permission to send my order now, and collect
after. Great customer satisfaction - now why didn't they think of that
first?

A newbie who didn't know what he could and couldn't allow, maybe?

AND.....remember I paid for fastest delivery? Well they haven't
refunded that payment - so I've paid for fastest possible delivery
from Screwfix, they didn't abide by the contract, and they expect me
to pay for it. Letter has gone off to the Managing Director of
Screwfix to explain why I'm feeling very unhappy.

Don't blame you!

Given the number of problems people seem to be having with Screwfix
I'm thinking about setting up a ScrewfixSux web site where people can
record their feelings about this great company, just like you get with
PayPal and NTL (and probably others). Anyone else think this might be
a good idea?

Well I still rate them, anyway. Today I whinged about a cable-reel
which I bought back in September; the socket shutters are really stiff
and awkward, and have never freed up with use as I'd expected. No
problem, they've refunded me and are collecting the duff item from me
on Friday (same day as the replacement will arrive).

David

Pete C

Hi,

Apparently they are moving their warehouse from Somerset to the north
west. So I bet their not-too-well-paid warehouse staff in Somerset are
really pleased their hard work has earned them the reward of
redundancy, NOT!!!

Anyway it's all in a good cause, the Kingfisher executives will get a
fat bonus, and their shareholders might even get something too!

In the meantime I wouldn't fancy the chance of getting a 100% correct
order, and I doubt they will ever be good as they used to be.

cheers,
Pete

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 11:09:25 +0000, PoP wrote:

[...]

Andy Hall

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 11:09:25 +0000, PoP wrote:

I certainly intend to!

AND.....remember I paid for fastest delivery? Well they haven't
refunded that payment - so I've paid for fastest possible delivery
from Screwfix, they didn't abide by the contract, and they expect me
to pay for it. Letter has gone off to the Managing Director of
Screwfix to explain why I'm feeling very unhappy.

Given the number of problems people seem to be having with Screwfix
I'm thinking about setting up a ScrewfixSux web site where people can
record their feelings about this great company, just like you get with
PayPal and NTL (and probably others). Anyone else think this might be
a good idea?

I'd add a couple of things to this.

If you don't get a reply to your letter to the Screwfix MD in a week,
I would send another letter by special delivery and cc. it to Gerry
Murphy, the CEO of Kingfisher.

The interim annual report has some interesting remarks. I believe
that somebody posted recently that Screwfix had had a planning issue
in Yeovil and was relocating some of their business. It appears that
they are building a 30,000 sqm automated fulfillment centre in Stoke
on Trent to be operational 1st half 2004. Given this situation, I
wonder if there is a morale drop in the present warehouse because of
impending end-of-job?

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
PoP

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 17:55:45 +0000, Andy Hall
wrote:

If you don't get a reply to your letter to the Screwfix MD in a week,
I would send another letter by special delivery and cc. it to Gerry
Murphy, the CEO of Kingfisher.

Thanks for that. I'll see what happens.

The interim annual report has some interesting remarks. I believe
that somebody posted recently that Screwfix had had a planning issue
in Yeovil and was relocating some of their business. It appears that
they are building a 30,000 sqm automated fulfillment centre in Stoke
on Trent to be operational 1st half 2004. Given this situation, I
wonder if there is a morale drop in the present warehouse because of
impending end-of-job?

Definitely. I've been in this sort of situation myself. However that
doesn't excuse Screwfix from carrying out its obligations.

Just opened the advertising material in my Screwfix delivery a few
minutes ago. Sheet of paper within - guaranteed next day delivery
before 10am is available. Err, no it isn't.

PoP

-----

My published email address probably won't work. If
you need to contact me please submit your comments
via the web form at http://www.anyoldtripe.co.uk

I apologise for the additional effort, however the
level of unsolicited email I receive makes it
impossible to advertise my real email address!
G&M

"PoP" wrote in message
I certainly intend to!

Two days ago a job came up where I needed something urgent from
Screwfix. Placed the order (nearly £200 worth!) at 1pm in the
afternoon, and raised the ante by requesting fastest possible delivery
by 10am the next morning (yesterday). That way I could go back on-site
and do the job yesterday.

10:05am yesterday - no delivery. On the phone to Screwfix asking where
my order was. Quick check on the computer system......"I'm sorry Sir,
it was packed last night but it is still sitting in the warehouse".

I posted about their service a while back and it's got worse. So I've given
up on them where possible.
BES in Brum is good for plumbing stuff. Next day means just that.

Andy Hall

wrote:

[...]

Then it's big compensation time...... :-)

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Rod Hewitt

"G&M" wrote in
:

I posted about their service a while back and it's got worse. So I've
given up on them where possible.
BES in Brum is good for plumbing stuff. Next day means just that.

Not for me it hasn't! I am not exactly a big time buyer but they have
certainly screwed up quite seriously - including, for example, accepting an
order for a specific item and then not sending it because they were out of
stock. But of course helping themselves to the money and claiming that it
was in there to begin with. And taking two or three days for what should
have been next day.

My biggest problem (so far) with Screwfix was getting them to collect an
item that I rejected (bad paint finish on a radiator) - took three or four
goes to get shot of it. (Fingers crossed - got an order in for delivery
tomorrow - don't like the sound of Friday...)

Rod

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 19:12:38 -0000, "G&M" wrote:

"PoP" wrote in message
.. .
I certainly intend to!

Two days ago a job came up where I needed something urgent from
Screwfix. Placed the order (nearly £200 worth!) at 1pm in the
afternoon, and raised the ante by requesting fastest possible delivery
by 10am the next morning (yesterday). That way I could go back on-site
and do the job yesterday.

10:05am yesterday - no delivery. On the phone to Screwfix asking where
my order was. Quick check on the computer system......"I'm sorry Sir,
it was packed last night but it is still sitting in the warehouse".

I posted about their service a while back and it's got worse. So I've given
up on them where possible.
BES in Brum is good for plumbing stuff. Next day means just that.

Can't fault them myself.

If I "need" something that urgently I'll go buy it so I have it in my
hand.

If I want something "soon" I'll use Screwfix, don't give me a third
degree over delivering to work not home etc.

Order at 2.00am if I like and I can see what I want without trying to
not look a diyer at the unfriendly local "merchants" when they pretend
to not know what you want. ;-)

Mark S.

Rod Hewitt

(Fingers crossed - got an order in for
delivery tomorrow - don't like the sound of Friday...)

I don't know why they were saying Friday at the earliest. Just got their
email:

"We thought you would like to know that the order you placed on
18 February 2004 was quality checked and packed at 7:48 pm
on 18 February 2004 and is now on its way to you via ANC"

So it's down to ANC now...

Rod
Witchy

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 11:09:25 +0000, PoP wrote:

worthy-of-me rant snipped

Given the number of problems people seem to be having with Screwfix
I'm thinking about setting up a ScrewfixSux web site where people can
record their feelings about this great company, just like you get with
PayPal and NTL (and probably others). Anyone else think this might be
a good idea?

Their current financial postings have been mentioned elsewhere, and on
the news today they were full of the joys of Kingfisher profits, so
I'd be right onto the top brass and complaining, particularly given
the short shrift we've received from B&Q with regard to their shoddy
pine doors that leave a lot to be desired.

We've been waiting for a solution to our warped door problem since
christmas and should hopefully have the bits I need this week but I'm
not holding up much hope. Normally I'd be up in arms and demanding
pre-finished and painted doors to arrive but those would be the 4th
pair and I'm sick of waiting.

At least the local warehouse is 5 minutes up the road, and if I need
fast plumbing stuff there's a merchant almost round the corner, though
some of their staff leave a lot to be desired too :-/

I s'pose at the end of the day you get what you pay for.......

--
cheers,

witchy/binarydinosaurs
PoP

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 21:24:33 -0800, "John Stumbles"
wrote:

OTOH you can easily waste almost as much time traipsing round the sheds &
merchants. I just try to keep as much of the bread and butter stuff in my
stock and schedule jobs I'm ordering stuff for to allow time - _plenty_ of
time - for it to arrive.

I try that approach as well. On this occasion I was on a two-day job
and on day 1 I got asked to take on a job which I hadn't expected in
advance, hence the urgent order to Screwfix.

PoP

-----

My published email address probably won't work. If
you need to contact me please submit your comments
via the web form at http://www.anyoldtripe.co.uk

I apologise for the additional effort, however the
level of unsolicited email I receive makes it
impossible to advertise my real email address!
Andy Hall

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 23:09:50 +0000, Witchy
wrote:

[...]

You do, but I have found with B&Q that if you have had unreasonable
hassle (e.g. more than one return visit with faulty product) then
Go to the returns desk and ask to see the duty manager. Take him off
to one side away from employees and other customers. Tell him that
you are a good customer and show him receipts for anything you've
purchased in the last few months to establish level of spend. Be
pleasant and simply say that under the circumstances you feel that it
would be reasonable for some compensation for your trouble.

Some vouchers are often forthcoming.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Witchy

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 23:20:35 +0000, Andy Hall
wrote:

I s'pose at the end of the day you get what you pay for.......

You do, but I have found with B&Q that if you have had unreasonable
hassle (e.g. more than one return visit with faulty product) then
Go to the returns desk and ask to see the duty manager. Take him off
to one side away from employees and other customers. Tell him that
you are a good customer and show him receipts for anything you've
purchased in the last few months to establish level of spend. Be
pleasant and simply say that under the circumstances you feel that it
would be reasonable for some compensation for your trouble.

Some vouchers are often forthcoming.

You're right - in this case some gentle persuasion led them round to
my way of thinking which saved money on all counts, though why I was
doing them favours leaves a lot to be discussed. It's also a case in
point when you know a lot of the returns and service desk staff and
they know you! Hmm. I also know the timber people too....dammit, I'm
spending too much time there!

--
cheers,

witchy/binarydinosaurs

Andy Hall

wrote:

[...]

Exactly. It comes down to figuring out where the person's discretion
is and using that to achieve a desired result.

If you use somewhere like B&Q regularly, then some vouchers or a store
credit are an acceptable recompense.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Mick Partridge

"Rod Hewitt" wrote in message
.. .

(Fingers crossed - got an order in for
delivery tomorrow - don't like the sound of Friday...)

I don't know why they were saying Friday at the earliest. Just got their
email:

"We thought you would like to know that the order you placed on
18 February 2004 was quality checked and packed at 7:48 pm
on 18 February 2004 and is now on its way to you via ANC"

So it's down to ANC now...

Rod

Don't wish to dishearten you, but the only delivery which failed to reach me
next day, was one where ANC was the courier.
All my other deliveries via Parcel Farce (yes, I know) where delivered on
time.

An order placed with Toolstation on Thursday, again despatched to ANC,
arrived Tuesday, after they insisted that they tried to deliver on Monday
and had no reply, so they left a card. My wife is housebound!! No card, and
definitely no attempt at delivery.

Screwfix gives you a tracking option with ANC. When I checked with them, and
pasted my tracking number into their website, it brought up an invoice dated
last November, made out to a company in Gloucester. (Probably a violation of
the Data Protection Act).
The following day, the same tracking number showed my parcel as "Missing".

Scewfix told me that ANC's tracking system was "not to be trusted".
I think the same can be said of their service in general.
Pity screwfix and others have yet to catch on.

John Stumbles

"StealthUK" wrote in message
om...
[...]

FWIW I've had a Screwfix before-10am delivery that didn't turn up all day
(ParcelFarce to thank for that one), rarely had a next-day delivery, and had
various mistake items in deliveries (mostly to my advantage!). However when
it's come to returning dodgy or unwanted items they've been as good as gold.
BES for their part almost routinely screw something up on each order:
usually stuff out-of-stock, some wrong items, and twice they've forgotten an
order placed by their web site (because apparently they _print_ _off_ orders
placed by the www and carry them over to where they process orders received
by phone etc!). Also their stock database is seriously defective: go to
http://www.bes.ltd.uk/products/161a.asp and look under Plain Hollow Plugs -
Malleable for a 1" plug: it's part number 6448. Now go to their main page
http://www.bes.ltd.uk/nav_graf/frames_cat.htm and enter 6448 in the Part
Number Search box ... I had a bit of a shock when I looked at the total
price of my order, fortunately before I'd submitted it. Had to do it by
phone, instead :-(

The only mail-order lot I haven't had any trouble with is toolstation.com,
but I've only placed one order with them so far - no doubt they'll rise to
the challenge :-)

Andy Hall

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 01:02:22 -0000, "Mick Partridge"
wrote:

"Rod Hewitt" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

So WTF are they using them?

The delivery industry seems to think that it can get away with lying
and cheating when something is lost or they run out of time to
deliver.

I gave up using "best efforts", "usually next day" services some while
ago, and just pay extra for timed delivery. This does seem to result
in a higher success rate of receiving goods on time and if the extra
cost reduces the amount of time taken titting around securing delivery
then it's worth it AFAICS. If the delivery doesn't happen on time,
the charge is refunded which covers the cost of chasing.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
PoP

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 00:44:48 +0000, Andy Hall
wrote:

If you use somewhere like B&Q regularly, then some vouchers or a store
credit are an acceptable recompense.

I have used Screwfix regularly, so maybe they will play dice. But then
again.....

I am considering phoning my credit card company to cancel the
transaction - Screwfix have charged me for something they didn't
deliver (the fast delivery option), and delivered half what I wanted.
Credit card cancellation charges from the card companies do hurt.

PoP

-----

My published email address probably won't work. If
you need to contact me please submit your comments
via the web form at http://www.anyoldtripe.co.uk

I apologise for the additional effort, however the
level of unsolicited email I receive makes it
impossible to advertise my real email address!

Andy Hall

wrote:

If you use somewhere like B&Q regularly, then some vouchers or a store
credit are an acceptable recompense.

I have used Screwfix regularly, so maybe they will play dice. But then
again.....

I am considering phoning my credit card company to cancel the
transaction - Screwfix have charged me for something they didn't
deliver (the fast delivery option), and delivered half what I wanted.
Credit card cancellation charges from the card companies do hurt.

Yep do it. The do the follow up letter of complaint to Kingfisher

G&M wrote:

"PoP" wrote in message
I certainly intend to!

Two days ago a job came up where I needed something urgent from
Screwfix. Placed the order (nearly £200 worth!) at 1pm in the
afternoon, and raised the ante by requesting fastest possible delivery
by 10am the next morning (yesterday). That way I could go back on-site
and do the job yesterday.

10:05am yesterday - no delivery. On the phone to Screwfix asking where
my order was. Quick check on the computer system......"I'm sorry Sir,
it was packed last night but it is still sitting in the warehouse".

I posted about their service a while back and it's got worse. So I've given
up on them where possible.
BES in Brum is good for plumbing stuff. Next day means just that.

Even BES can screw up, I ordered some stuff from them soem weeks ago.
I ordered on Tuesday for some work I was aiming to do the next Saturday.
The delivery finally arrived the Monday after and was simply refused and
returned. (We'd bought what we needed from a local plumbers merchant
instead, a bit more expensive but needs must) I have to say that BES
didn't quibble about the return and my payment was credited in full.

This I will continue to use BES but no mail-order supplier is perfect
as they all have to depend on imperfect delivery companies.

My experience of ScrewFix is (still) better than BES but we have a
good ParcelForce depot locally.

--
Chris Green
Owain

"PoP" wrote
| I'm thinking about setting up a ScrewfixSux web site

Looking at the closeness of i and u on the keyboard and the number of times
they are probably mistyped anyway, you might as well register screwfux.com
(I haven't checked if it's still available).

Also you wouldn't be including the screwfix word in your website name so
less danger of a passing-off or libel action.

Owain

Tim \(Remove NOSPAM.

"Rod Hewitt" wrote in message
.. .

(Fingers crossed - got an order in for
delivery tomorrow - don't like the sound of Friday...)

I don't know why they were saying Friday at the earliest. Just got their
email:

"We thought you would like to know that the order you placed on
18 February 2004 was quality checked and packed at 7:48 pm
on 18 February 2004 and is now on its way to you via ANC"

So it's down to ANC now...

Have had nothing but hassle with all goods delivered by ANC, including
several from Screwfix. They're online tracking system is a complete joke.
When it works. And when it does it seems to churn up something different
each time.

Tim..

Rod Hewitt

" Tim \(Remove NOSPAM." wrote in
:

So it's down to ANC now...

Have had nothing but hassle with all goods delivered by ANC, including
several from Screwfix. They're online tracking system is a complete joke.
When it works. And when it does it seems to churn up something different
each time.

Tim..

I have to hand it to ANC today - delivered around 13:30.

Just one problem - broken! Freud router - bits of plastic rattling around
in the box. Poor packaging by Freud, no additional help by Screwfix
(thin plastic outer). Box obviously damaged - but you can't see that until
you open the plastic wrapper.

Screwfix offered to pick it up on Monday - and then send another one out.
Not happy - Why should I have to wait 5 days extra? Anyway they did agree
to send out a new one to arrive on Monday.

Apparently in some parts of the country they are trialling a "pick up and
drop off" system for replacements - can't happen too soon.

Makes a change - I am with you all on ANC - they usually mess up the
delivery rather than damaging the goods.

Rod

I no longer use Screwfix. they never deliver on time and always miss items
on the order. it's b&q in disguise. it did used to be a good company.

N. Thornton

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 08:07:13 +0000, PoP wrote:

I have used Screwfix regularly, so maybe they will play dice. But then
again.....

I am considering phoning my credit card company to cancel the
transaction - Screwfix have charged me for something they didn't
deliver (the fast delivery option), and delivered half what I wanted.
Credit card cancellation charges from the card companies do hurt.

Is there an alternative company like screwfix? I havent come across
one yet.

Re service standards, its often the way that a business tries extra
hard during its market share gaining time, then once its really busy,
its busy, and you dont get much of a look in.

Regards, NT
PoP

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 18:51:17 +0000, PoP wrote:

Well you've upset me, when are you going to reply to my e-mail ?

First, what email? I haven't seen anything to reply to!

Still waiting.....

PoP

-----

My published email address probably won't work. If
you need to contact me please submit your comments
via the web form at http://www.anyoldtripe.co.uk

I apologise for the additional effort, however the
level of unsolicited email I receive makes it
impossible to advertise my real email address!
PoP

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 20:01:36 +0000, Andy Hall
wrote:

Then it's big compensation time...... :-)

As of this morning I have acquired the www.screwfixsucks.co.uk domain
name. I'm just waiting for it to propogate on the Internet, then
assuming I don't get a response from the MD at Screwfix I am going to
publish the documentation of this fiasco. The URL will be sent to
Gerry Murphy for his comment. I am careful about such things as libel
so I'll stick to the facts.

It sure would be simpler and cheaper for them if Screwfix decided to
deal with my complaint!

PoP

-----

My published email address probably won't work. If
you need to contact me please submit your comments
via the web form at http://www.anyoldtripe.co.uk

I apologise for the additional effort, however the
level of unsolicited email I receive makes it
impossible to advertise my real email address!
Suz

As of this morning I have acquired the www.screwfixsucks.co.uk domain
name. I'm just waiting for it to propogate on the Internet, then
assuming I don't get a response from the MD at Screwfix I am going to
publish the documentation of this fiasco. The URL will be sent to
Gerry Murphy for his comment. I am careful about such things as libel
so I'll stick to the facts.

Wow PoP! You go girlfriend!

Suz

John Stumbles

"N. Thornton" wrote in message
om...
On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 08:07:13 +0000, PoP wrote:

I have used Screwfix regularly, so maybe they will play dice. But then
again.....

I am considering phoning my credit card company to cancel the
transaction - Screwfix have charged me for something they didn't
deliver (the fast delivery option), and delivered half what I wanted.
Credit card cancellation charges from the card companies do hurt.

Is there an alternative company like screwfix? I havent come across
one yet.

Toolstation(.com) - a lot of the same stock as Screwfix but generally even
cheaper, but not such a wide range

Nick Pitfield

Pete C wrote in
:

Hi,

Apparently they are moving their warehouse from Somerset to the north
west. So I bet their not-too-well-paid warehouse staff in Somerset are
really pleased their hard work has earned them the reward of
redundancy, NOT!!!

Anyway it's all in a good cause, the Kingfisher executives will get a
fat bonus, and their shareholders might even get something too!

Thanks for that info - as a man originally from the south west that gives
me enough incentive to no longer order from ScrewFux.

Actually to be honest I haven't ordered from screwfux for quite a while
anyway because none of my orders from them have ever turned up on time -
I'd rather go to Travis Perkins or PlumbCenter or whatever and see and feel
the goods (for quality) and pick them up when I want them.
--

Regards.

Nick Pitfield )
Toby

John Stumbles wrote:
"N. Thornton" wrote

Is there an alternative company like screwfix? I havent come across
one yet.

Toolstation(.com) - a lot of the same stock as Screwfix but generally
even cheaper, but not such a wide range

Quite like them but they do tend to concentrate on the smaller and cheaper
end of the market. Seems quite like an early days ScrewFix, hardly
surprising when the original directors seem so closely related. It seems
that SF is slowly morphing into 'B&Q-Online' aarghh!

So a few alternate suppliers to cover all needs BES, TLC, CPC and Jewsons
(but using the much more friendly pricelists from TP)

Clearing the psychological barrier and being comfortable shopping at the
Jewsons counter is a great help; free coffee, witty repartee?, hit & miss
pricing (solution: nah that's too much - oh ok knock off 35% - that's more
like it)

Best time to go is before work on a weekday, then have a shave etc when you
get to the office.

--
Toby.

N. Thornton

"Toby" wrote in message ...
John Stumbles wrote:
"N. Thornton" wrote

Is there an alternative company like screwfix? I havent come across
one yet.

Toolstation(.com) - a lot of the same stock as Screwfix but generally
even cheaper, but not such a wide range

Quite like them but they do tend to concentrate on the smaller and cheaper
end of the market. Seems quite like an early days ScrewFix, hardly
surprising when the original directors seem so closely related. It seems
that SF is slowly morphing into 'B&Q-Online' aarghh!

So a few alternate suppliers to cover all needs BES, TLC, CPC and Jewsons
(but using the much more friendly pricelists from TP)

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions. I had a look at
toolstation, and their prices are better but a lot of things lacked
basic necessary information. I dont know what quality their stuff is
yet, I'll find out.

TLC strikes me as pricey on most things, but not all.

Regards, NT

Screwfix Rick Dipper UK diy 18 January 9th 04 10:57 PM
Ferm Prices and Screwfix. Eric Dockum UK diy 10 October 20th 03 09:33 AM
Screwfix foam gun problems! Steve North UK diy 1 September 23rd 03 03:37 PM
Screwfix :-( Ian UK diy 13 September 3rd 03 06:15 PM
Screwfix gun grade expanding foam James Hart UK diy 1 August 11th 03 03:01 PM