James Hart

Default Screwfix gun grade expanding foam

Hamish West wrote:
I've had these 3 cans of Screwfix gun grade expanding foam for a
couple of months, and have just got round to using them.
Tried them in 2 guns, one older but working perfectly, and a brand-new
Screwfix one.
Neither gun works with any of the 3 cans.
No foam comes out of the nozzle, but it does leak badly around the
joint between can and gun.
Since none of the cans works with either gun, I'm guessing that it's a
problem with this batch of cans.
Has anybody out there had this sort of problem?

Cans have '517550' and '482' on the bottom.

Can't help with the problem but I knew I wouldn't have to wait long before
posting this expanding foam story I found on another NG.

I reckon this bloke must have been a complete idiot. This is what he told me
happened to him.

"Last night I returned from the pub and decided to do a bit of DIY. I got
everything ready but when I pressed the trigger on the huge aerosol of
expanding foam ('fills awkward gaps, sets rock hard, expands 60 times its
original volume') it wouldn't work. It said 'shake 20 times' so I shook it
an
extra 50. I fiddled around with it for a while but it wouldn't eject any
foam.
I took the nozzle off and poked into the hole with a screwdriver but still
nothing happened. I tried hitting the can with a hammer but it still
wouldn't
work. "What a bugger!" I thought. I got a little screwdriver and put the end
into the hole where the nozzle should be and hit it carefully with a hammer.
Still nothing, so I hit it a bit harder. Eventually I hit it really hard.
Suddenly all hell broke loose. There was a loud bang. A fountain of sticky
foam
went up to the ceiling. With great presence of mind I put my finger over the
hole but this turned the vertical jet into a sideways spray, with foam
hitting
the walls, curtains, and furniture. I thought I'd retreive the situation as
much as possible so I tried to direct the foam into the cavity I was trying
fill. I managed to fill it very quickly; in fact it soon overflowed onto the
carpet. Since the job was now done I decided the best thing to do was to put
the can in the dustbin. I carried it along the hall as fast as I could but
foam
was coming out quite fast all the time. In the yard, a lot of foam got on
the
cat, unfortunately. I dropped the can into the bin and shut the lid as fast
as
I could.
The wife was pretty annoyed about the carpet, walls, curtains and ceiling,
and
the cat was really freaked out. Next day I had to hold the cat tightly in a
towel while the wife cut most of its fur off (good job its warm weather).
The
dustbinmen came and when they tipped the bin up on their lorry nothing camer
out. Everything in there was one solid mass. The council says I'll have to
pay
for a new bin, because I just can't get the solid foam out. It's as hard as
rock. We've got to have new curtains and a carpet, and the insurance say it
wasn't an accident it was idiocy (cheeky *******s) so they won't pay."
What an idiot! Comments?

--
James...
http://www.jameshart.co.uk/

Dennis Wynes

Can't help with the problem but I knew I wouldn't have to wait long before
posting this expanding foam story I found on another NG.

Yeah I'm a fan of Rigger's Diary too ;-)

---