Scrub

Default Norm gone from HGTV?

Just checked to see what upcoming shows HGTV was gonna show of Norm.
Well, looks like Norm is gone. Entire month of March, no Norm.

Scrub
Bob

I get him on hgtv Sunday mornings @ 7AM CST which I record so that I can
fast forward through the commercials.

"Scrub" wrote in message
Just checked to see what upcoming shows HGTV was gonna show of Norm.
Well, looks like Norm is gone. Entire month of March, no Norm.

Scrub

good ol' Bob

TOP POSTER ALERT!!!

By George you're right. Just checked zap2it listings as well as HGTV
website...sure enough, no Norm. Los Angeles PBS station KGET dropped the
show some time back. I can still get this year's shows on KOCE and KVCR.
Don't know how long this'll last. I also get Roy Underhill on one of those
stations. Seems that old woodworkers never die, they just fade away.
Oh yeah, regarding the top posting; that's the default setting, and I LIKE
IT!

"Scrub" wrote in message
Just checked to see what upcoming shows HGTV was gonna show of Norm.
Well, looks like Norm is gone. Entire month of March, no Norm.

Scrub

Bob

I wish everyone would top post. It's a pain in the arch having to scroll
down to the bottom of the post to get at a reply. Especially, when most
readers of the NG already know what the crux of the original message already
was.

m...

"Scrub" wrote in message
Just checked to see what upcoming shows HGTV was gonna show of Norm.
Well, looks like Norm is gone. Entire month of March, no Norm.

Scrub

Edwin Pawlowski

"Bob" wrote in message
I wish everyone would top post. It's a pain in the arch having to scroll
down to the bottom of the post to get at a reply. Especially, when most
readers of the NG already know what the crux of the original message
already
was.

Not in your lifetime. People with sequentially logical minds and who know
how to clip text still outnumber you.

Dave Hinz

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:40:06 GMT, Bob wrote:
I wish everyone would top post. It's a pain in the arch having to scroll
down to the bottom of the post to get at a reply. Especially, when most
readers of the NG already know what the crux of the original message already
was.

Top-posting screws up the flow of the conversation, and (ahem)
encourages people to lazily leave in the entire post they're replying
to, rather than the points they're addressing.
good ol' Bob

Yeah, but what's that got to do with Norm not being on HGTV? Oh, wait a
minute. You won't be able to follow the flow of the conversation, what with
this being a top post. I'll repeat it below for the idiot dweebs who rant
on about matters other than the original post.

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:40:06 GMT, Bob wrote:
I wish everyone would top post. It's a pain in the arch having to scroll
down to the bottom of the post to get at a reply. Especially, when most
readers of the NG already know what the crux of the original message
already
was.

Top-posting screws up the flow of the conversation, and (ahem)
encourages people to lazily leave in the entire post they're replying
to, rather than the points they're addressing.

Yeah, but what's that got to do with Norm not being on HGTV?

LRod

On 28 Feb 2005 21:46:09 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

Bull****. The reason people are driven to top posting is because of
the bottom posters who lazily leave in the entire post they're
replying to, rather than the points they're addressing.

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:40:06 GMT, Bob wrote:
I wish everyone would top post. It's a pain in the arch having to scroll
down to the bottom of the post to get at a reply. Especially, when most
readers of the NG already know what the crux of the original message already
was.

Top-posting screws up the flow of the conversation, and (ahem)
encourages people to lazily leave in the entire post they're replying
to, rather than the points they're addressing.

Bull****. The reason people are driven to top posting is because of
the bottom posters who lazily leave in the entire post they're
replying to, rather than the points they're addressing.

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
mp

Bull****. The reason people are driven to top posting is because of
the bottom posters who lazily leave in the entire post they're
replying to, rather than the points they're addressing.

And what do you call your reply, where you lazily left the entire message
and posted both top and bottom? You practicing for politics or something?

good ol' Bob

There is a certain element who just don't get it. My suggestion to you is
to climb the highest mountain, shout at the top of your lungs "I just don't
get it!" You will never experience a higher approval and agreement rating.

"mp" wrote in message
Bull****. The reason people are driven to top posting is because of
the bottom posters who lazily leave in the entire post they're
replying to, rather than the points they're addressing.

And what do you call your reply, where you lazily left the entire message
and posted both top and bottom? You practicing for politics or something?

Clint

Personally, I prefer top posting because you don't have to scroll all the
way to the bottom of what someone forgot to snip to read their one-line
comment. And I REALLY prefer it over middle-posting, where you have to
figure out what one-line comment they've inserted somewhere in the original
3 page rant. And as far as snipping goes, I'd prefer that people don't snip
because it means I don't have to go looking at the previous postings to
figure out what they hell they're talking about. But I've been on
high-speed internet since about 1997, so I'm pretty spoiled, I guess.

Clint

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:40:06 GMT, Bob wrote:
I wish everyone would top post. It's a pain in the arch having to scroll
down to the bottom of the post to get at a reply. Especially, when most
readers of the NG already know what the crux of the original message

already
was.

Top-posting screws up the flow of the conversation, and (ahem)
encourages people to lazily leave in the entire post they're replying
to, rather than the points they're addressing.

Clint

And BTW, I wouldn't tell someone else that there is just one way to post in
a newsgroup (not that I'm saying you're doing that). To each their own, and
all that rot. What I really dislike (even more than middle-posters) is the
people who insist that their way is the right way, and everything else is
reportable to your ISP.

Clint

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:40:06 GMT, Bob wrote:
I wish everyone would top post. It's a pain in the arch having to scroll
down to the bottom of the post to get at a reply. Especially, when most
readers of the NG already know what the crux of the original message

already
was.

Top-posting screws up the flow of the conversation, and (ahem)
encourages people to lazily leave in the entire post they're replying
to, rather than the points they're addressing.

DL

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 16:19:39 -0800, "mp" wrote:

I Bull****. The reason people are driven to top posting is because
of

p the bottom posters who lazily leave in the entire post they're
r replying to, rather than the points they're addressing.
fAnd what do you call your reply, where you lazily left the entire
emessage
r and posted both top and bottom? You practicing for politics or
something?

..

- -

DL

http://www.geocities.com/dicklong14_ca/fanclub.htm

"Hopefully with the demon-spawn Whitsitt out of the
picture our scouts and coaches will be able to do their jobs."

::::::::::::::::

Halter Sucks!

Ray V

All I have left of Norm on HGTV is Sunday a.m. also.
I have two PBS stations one of which carries him on Saturday at noon and the
other on sunday at 6:30. This is of course only when they are not
fundraising or running some obscure show.

I wrote to HGTV several years back when they first took Norm off they daily
a.m. slot, obviously it didn't work. Anyone have DIY network? I'm thinking
about upgrading my cable service to get DIY. Does DIY have any good shows
or just more of the "drive by paint & primp" shows currently on HGTV?

--

Too much is not enough!
rvojtash NOT THIS at comcast (dot) net

"Scrub" wrote in message
Just checked to see what upcoming shows HGTV was gonna show of Norm.
Well, looks like Norm is gone. Entire month of March, no Norm.

Scrub

Mike Marlow

"Ray V" wrote in message

I wrote to HGTV several years back when they first took Norm off they

daily
a.m. slot, obviously it didn't work. Anyone have DIY network? I'm

thinking
about upgrading my cable service to get DIY. Does DIY have any good shows
or just more of the "drive by paint & primp" shows currently on HGTV?

DIY isn't much better than HGTV. They've really gone after the housewife.
You have to search to find any cool tool shows. Hardly worth the added cost
in my opinion.
--

-Mike-

bob

Every year our PBS station runs the new season of Norm for six or seven
episodes in Jan and Feb. Then, March is their fundraising month (why do
they need an entire month for fundraising - TWICE a year??) so Norm is not
on. Then in April, they pick up Norm again, but it is reruns. For the last
two years, I have emailed our PBS station and informed them that they need
to finish out the seasion. I always get a very helpful person who fixes the
line up. And it's only after they fix the lineup that I send a donation -
to the helpful person so she knows...

"Scrub" wrote in message
Just checked to see what upcoming shows HGTV was gonna show of Norm.
Well, looks like Norm is gone. Entire month of March, no Norm.

Scrub

B a r r y

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Bob" wrote in message

I wish everyone would top post.

Not in your lifetime. People with sequentially logical minds and who know
how to clip text still outnumber you.

Makes sense to me.

Barry (FWIW, Thunderbird and Agent default to bottom posting)

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:58:38 -0500, the inscrutable "Mike Marlow"
spake:

DIY isn't much better than HGTV. They've really gone after the housewife.
You have to search to find any cool tool shows. Hardly worth the added cost
in my opinion.

DIY's lone saving grace is David Marks' "Wood Works" program.
If I could have only one, I'd choose HGTV, though some of their
better programs are gone. Ground Force was one I thoroughly enjoyed.
HGTV has really gone after the housewife, too. Frackin' pukeyhomes.

--
Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud.
----

DIY channel has a great woodworking show called Wood Work or
Woodworking (not "DIY Woodworking" that is a completely different show,
and is not as good in my opinion).

This is just that that show is currently showing re-run only. I
haven't seen any new show lately.

I really like that show in addition to Norm's "New Yankee Workshop".
Both are good.

But now I have switched from DirecTV to DISH Network, and I have
dropped DIY because of the much higher cost of subscribing to the TV
programming package that includes DIY. Good thing I still be able to
watch Norm's show.

Jay Chan

Mike Marlow

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

DIY's lone saving grace is David Marks' "Wood Works" program.
If I could have only one, I'd choose HGTV, though some of their
better programs are gone. Ground Force was one I thoroughly enjoyed.
HGTV has really gone after the housewife, too. Frackin' pukeyhomes.

It was quite disappointing when HGTV and DIY announced their new format.
They broke the week down into days and each day was targeted at a certain
audience, or interest. Specifically missing from that target list was
woodworkers like the group gathered in here. Guess we aren't a very large
or a very profitable number.
--

-Mike-

Luigi Zanasi

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 12:59:27 -0500, Robatoy wrote:

And that begs the question: WHO-the-heck gives a tinkers darn what the
f*uck(sorry, slipped) happened/happens to Norm.

snip of blasphemous rant

Rob, from the anti-faq, just so you get it straight:

NORM RULES!! Norm bashing is not countenanced in this newsgroup under any
circumstances. Norm is perfect and he has the best workshop with all the
best tools. He is the greatest woodworker in the whole wide world and in
all of history. HE IS NOT TOM SILVA'S WATER BOY!!!

Norm does not make mistakes and does the finest woodworking that is
humanly possible. Norm always does everything in the best possible way. He
is better than Tage Frid, Frank Klausz, James Krenov, Sam Maloof, Tom
Plamann, Ian Kirby and all those other phoneys and rip-off artists who
claim they can hand-plane a bench-top to within 1/1000 of an inch, all put
together. If enough people built things the way Norm does and bought the
same tools he has, the world would be a much better place. Nailers and
bisquick joiners make the best joints for attaching wood and cross grain
construction is perfect if you use enough brads and biscuits and glue. No
need for expensive clamps if you've got a brad nailer. Schlepping glue all
over your project with a wet rag saves on finishing. Minwax stain and poly
is unquestionably the best finish for any project using any kind of wood.
Anybody who thinks different or who dares criticize Norm is just jealous.
If you hate him so much, why do you keep watching his show?

As the Pope has infallibility in matters of faith, so has the Plaid One in
matters of sawdust. If you don't believe me, you will get flamed and get
tons of hate email for your blasphemy. You will be tarred, feathered and
run out of town on a rail. Just ask Tom Perigrin.

Ignore that JOAT pagan. There is but one woodworking god. Norm is Jewish
and a carpenter and his mother was a virgin. 'Nuff said!

--
Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email

Robatoy

In article ZhMUd.36727$ya6.16553@trndny01,
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Bob" wrote in message
I wish everyone would top post. It's a pain in the arch having to scroll
down to the bottom of the post to get at a reply. Especially, when most
readers of the NG already know what the crux of the original message
already
was.

Not in your lifetime. People with sequentially logical minds and who know
how to clip text still outnumber you.

Yeahhh...what Ed said....*nods*

Robatoy

In article ,
"good ol' Bob" wrote:

Yeah, but what's that got to do with Norm not being on HGTV?

And that begs the question: WHO-the-heck gives a tinkers darn what the
f*uck(sorry, slipped) happened/happens to Norm.

I realize that I am taking one helluva chance with my life here, forced
onto an ice-floe, set ablaze after being drenched in whale oil, cursed
and forced to listen to Celine Dijon [sic] whilst surrounded by
halographic images of a naked Michael Jackson... the horror...the
horror...but I think Norm is just another shill for the corporate side.
Good for him and I admire his success so don't get me wrong. I admire
the guy for that reason. But I find his shows less than inspiring. It
teaches very few techniques that aren't solved by a CNC laser guided
framulator. IOW.... he does nothing to inspire me. Nothing.
I don't watch a whole lot of TV, other than F-1, but Marks, in that
genre, at least forces me to think.

I recall early HGTV (at least here in Kanuckistan) where a couple was
showing people how to make their own kitchen:
"..and now, we use the Blum hinge inserting machine to complete the
door..." I mean..WTF???

I'd rather watch a rerun of Lewis and Lambchop and let my imagination
stick Lambchop into Norm's Timesaver. I know... you have all had that
thought....I'm just the only one here honest enough to admit it.

0¿0

Rob
Will

Robatoy:

Perhaps we could put together a show on "Cabinetry and Furniture for
Igloos and yurts" - that would probably be of more interest to
Kanuckistani....

Gotta agree with you on the "hinge inserting machine". Norm's show isn't
that bad -- but I do get a belly laugh when I see all the tools. What is
the relevance - eh? So what if I learn how to use $101,367.51 worth of
tools (in USD no less) to make a $108 cabinet?

Just once I'd like to see him work with a rusty hand saw and a
mis-aligned planer -- so the experience is more "true to life" if you
get my drift -- eh?

Not to mention working with bent and twisted 2X4's since all the good
ones go south - eh what?

but I digress...

Time to go kill a caribou for lunch...

Robatoy wrote:
In article ,
"good ol' Bob" wrote:

Yeah, but what's that got to do with Norm not being on HGTV?

And that begs the question: WHO-the-heck gives a tinkers darn what the
f*uck(sorry, slipped) happened/happens to Norm.

I realize that I am taking one helluva chance with my life here, forced
onto an ice-floe, set ablaze after being drenched in whale oil, cursed
and forced to listen to Celine Dijon [sic] whilst surrounded by
halographic images of a naked Michael Jackson... the horror...the
horror...but I think Norm is just another shill for the corporate side.
Good for him and I admire his success so don't get me wrong. I admire
the guy for that reason. But I find his shows less than inspiring. It
teaches very few techniques that aren't solved by a CNC laser guided
framulator.

Unless it gets discombobulated -- and you need to replace the Mark II
Cray internal computer...

IOW.... he does nothing to inspire me. Nothing.
I don't watch a whole lot of TV, other than F-1, but Marks, in that
genre, at least forces me to think.

I recall early HGTV (at least here in Kanuckistan) where a couple was
showing people how to make their own kitchen:
"..and now, we use the Blum hinge inserting machine to complete the
door..." I mean..WTF???

ROTFLMAO

I'd rather watch a rerun of Lewis and Lambchop and let my imagination
stick Lambchop into Norm's Timesaver. I know... you have all had that
thought....I'm just the only one here honest enough to admit it.

Always did like lambchop. :-) Can she fly a handsaw?

0¿0

Rob

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek
Upscale

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

If I could have only one, I'd choose HGTV, though some of their
better programs are gone. Ground Force was one I thoroughly enjoyed.

In the past few months, I've taken to watching and often recording Holmes on
Homes on HGTV. He's a renovations expert not a finished carpenter, but I
enjoy watching and learning when he fixes the mistakes and ****ups that
other contractors do to people's homes.

Luigi Zanasi

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 21:38:22 -0500, Robatoy wrote:

In article ,
Will wrote:

Time to go kill a caribou for lunch...

Cookin' Da Boo, eh? How are you preppin' it? Are you cooking it whole or
are you wimping out and cleaning it first?

Send me the skin. I need a coat.

I'll go for the stomach contents, need my vitamin C.

And don't forget to save some jerky for Robin Lee, eh. He would really
appreciate it. You might even get a discount. (Hint: DAGS on Rob Lee &
caribou or reindeer).

--
Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html

Will

Upscale wrote:
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

If I could have only one, I'd choose HGTV, though some of their
better programs are gone. Ground Force was one I thoroughly enjoyed.

In the past few months, I've taken to watching and often recording Holmes on
Homes on HGTV. He's a renovations expert not a finished carpenter, but I
enjoy watching and learning when he fixes the mistakes and ****ups that
other contractors do to people's homes.

Gotta agree with you -- a great program. Comedy, tragedy and a bit of
wood-working. What more can you ask for?

Can you imagine being one of the contractors that did the shoddy work
being repaired? Not sure that some of them could be embarrassed
though.... But to have your work highlighted... At least some of the
neighbours will know and I am sure the word of mouth spreads the names
in at least the immediate area...

My sister had a reno done by one of those guys -- at least I am pretty
sure it was one of those guys Holmes outed. Cut out floor joists,
chopped off wiring, no vapour barrier, etc. $40K later... the job was
fixed properly.... No permits on the original job of course...

I am pretty sure she never watched Holmes or it would have never
happened. :-(

We had a house like that once ... closets lined with cardboard, wiring
done with lamp cord, bathroom floors rotting out. Had to reno the whole
thing. We knew what we had bought -- but it was still a painful job.

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek
Will

I think the cold has frozed yer brain cells -- eh?

Hilarious - enjoyed yer web site eh?

Luigi Zanasi wrote:
[...]

Not even close to enough said till you prove that you two have $250K
worth of shop tools. LOL

I am going back to a worn out hand plane and a dull handsaw just to protest!

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 10:15:44 -0500, the inscrutable "Mike Marlow"
spake:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .

DIY's lone saving grace is David Marks' "Wood Works" program.
If I could have only one, I'd choose HGTV, though some of their
better programs are gone. Ground Force was one I thoroughly enjoyed.
HGTV has really gone after the housewife, too. Frackin' pukeyhomes.

It was quite disappointing when HGTV and DIY announced their new format.
They broke the week down into days and each day was targeted at a certain
audience, or interest. Specifically missing from that target list was
woodworkers like the group gathered in here. Guess we aren't a very large
or a very profitable number.

We're not filthy-rich, bored, and mind-numbed folks, their target
audiences, eh? sigh

--
Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud.
----
CW

Can it be fixed?

"B a r r y" wrote in message

Thunderbird and Agent default to bottom posting

Robatoy

In article ,
Will wrote:

Time to go kill a caribou for lunch...

Cookin' Da Boo, eh? How are you preppin' it? Are you cooking it whole or
are you wimping out and cleaning it first?

Send me the skin. I need a coat.

Always did like lambchop. :-)

Like? Or more than just 'like'? You can tell us Will.. we've all have a
little something for Lambchop.

Can she fly a handsaw?

No, but I hear she has a 'way' with K-Bodies and Cabinet Masters.

0¿0

Rob

Robatoy

In article ,
"Luigi Zanasi" wrote:

As the Pope has infallibility in matters of faith, so has the Plaid One in
matters of sawdust. If you don't believe me, you will get flamed and get
tons of hate email for your blasphemy. You will be tarred, feathered and
run out of town on a rail

Naaaa... Norm slid in on Vila's coattails. Vila is THE omnipotent dorker.
Norm is the AntiDork!
Funny... he doesn't look Jewish.

0¿0

Rob
Lee Gordon

DIY's lone saving grace is David Marks' "Wood Works" program.
If I could have only one, I'd choose HGTV, though some of their
better programs are gone. Ground Force was one I thoroughly enjoyed.
HGTV has really gone after the housewife, too. Frackin' pukeyhomes.

Ground Force is on BBC America, not HGTV.

Lee

Will

Robatoy wrote:
In article ,
Will wrote:

Time to go kill a caribou for lunch...

Cookin' Da Boo, eh? How are you preppin' it? Are you cooking it whole or
are you wimping out and cleaning it first?

Clean it? Wufo? Throw it on the fire on a spit - still quivering. It's
the way of the north laddie.

There are strange things done neath the midnight sun by the men who moil
for wood.
And the northern lights have seen queer sights that would make yer blood
run frozed...

Send me the skin. I need a coat.

Hay no problemo! I send you da sinews and some bone needles as well.
Don't have time to cure it so hope yer woman has strong teeth so she kin
chew it proper like -- eh?

Gonna have her do some proper beadwork fer a little decoration?

Always did like lambchop. :-)

Like? Or more than just 'like'? You can tell us Will.. we've all have a
little something for Lambchop.

Kanuckistan -- where men are men -- and sheep are scared.

Can she fly a handsaw?

No, but I hear she has a 'way' with K-Bodies and Cabinet Masters.

0¿0

Hmmm - maybe I can use an apprentice. LOL

Rob

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek
Ray V

You are missing the benefit to you of us Normites. If a 7 level C141-B
mechanic like me can can watch Norm and say, "I could do that if I had those
tools..", it lowers the price of tools for the 'real' WWs.
What difference does it make if mine sit in the garage for years and the
insulation on the cord rots away, it lowered the price for everyone.

And one day,... maybe I will learn how to use a hand plane or mix finish.
Until then I can make things that make me and SWMBO happy and are better
than anything I can buy.

--

Too much is not enough!
rvojtash NOT THIS at comcast (dot) net
---
"Robatoy" wrote in message
In article ,
"good ol' Bob" wrote:

[...]

I was referring to Ray's question (message# 3 in this thread) about
whether there is any good woodworking show in DIY. DIY is a TV channel
that is similar to HGTV. And yes that woodworking show is not
available in HGTV.

Jay Chan