stoutman

Default Magnetic Featherboards ?

Anybody use magnetic featherboards for the table saw. The Griptite look ok,
but exensive ($40 AT WOODCRAFT).

Anybody make their own? I have a pretty strong magnet that I bought that
cleans my fish tank glass (the magnetic portion stays on one side of the
glass and the metallic portion is in the water on the other side) and I was
thinking of converting them into featherboards. Anyone try this?

thanks

Ba r r y

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 00:32:57 GMT, "stoutman" wrote:

Anybody use magnetic featherboards for the table saw. The Griptite look ok,
but exensive ($40 AT WOODCRAFT).

I've tried them and really like them, but haven't plunked down for
them yet.

Think about this: A local millwork shop with a bunch of employees
"lost" several sets of these before they could keep them around. G

Barry
Edwin Pawlowski

"stoutman" wrote in message
m...
Anybody use magnetic featherboards for the table saw. The Griptite look
ok, but exensive ($40 AT WOODCRAFT).

Yes, but when you put that sucker in place, it STAYS in place. I like it
because setup is quick, release is quick. does the job.

Anybody make their own? I have a pretty strong magnet that I bought that
cleans my fish tank glass (the magnetic portion stays on one side of the
glass and the metallic portion is in the water on the other side) and I
was thinking of converting them into featherboards. Anyone try this?

I have no idea of the magnet strength needed so experimentation is in order.
You probably want to incorporate a cam release to be able to move it.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Doug Miller

In article , "stoutman" wrote:
Anybody use magnetic featherboards for the table saw. The Griptite look ok,
but exensive ($40 AT WOODCRAFT).

It works very, very well. Compared to regular featherboards that lock into the
miter slots, the Griptite is more difficult to position initially, but once
put in place it *stays* put. And I find it much easier to install and remove,
than twisting a knob to tighten something into the miter slot.

--
Regards,

max

I have been using Grip-tite's for so long I can't remember not using them. I
think they are worth every penny. I also have those wheels that got5 on the
fence, the feather boards and various other things but prefer the magnets.
Mine are so old they are made out of wood.
max

Anybody use magnetic featherboards for the table saw. The Griptite look ok,
but exensive ($40 AT WOODCRAFT).

Anybody make their own? I have a pretty strong magnet that I bought that
cleans my fish tank glass (the magnetic portion stays on one side of the
glass and the metallic portion is in the water on the other side) and I was
thinking of converting them into featherboards. Anyone try this?

thanks

Dick Snyder

I have an aluminum fence and table on my Bosch TS. I know they sell steel
plates you can attach to your fence so the magnets stick (though I suppose
that will mess up all measurements with the fence gauge built in to the
table) but what about the table itself?

"stoutman" wrote in message
m...
Anybody use magnetic featherboards for the table saw. The Griptite look
ok, but exensive ($40 AT WOODCRAFT).

Anybody make their own? I have a pretty strong magnet that I bought that
cleans my fish tank glass (the magnetic portion stays on one side of the
glass and the metallic portion is in the water on the other side) and I
was thinking of converting them into featherboards. Anyone try this?

thanks

I am a big fan of the Grip-tite...we use them on the tablesaw and on
the jointer as well ....well worth every penny..as far as making a set
myself ..I am a woodworker, not a jig and machine maker...I build
furniture, I do not have the time or desire to build my own feather
boards when I can buy a superior product...my time is worth more than
that
good luck,
Mike from American Sycamore
www.americansycamoreretreat.com

Thomas Bunetta

"Dick Snyder" wrote in message
I have an aluminum fence and table on my Bosch TS. I know they sell steel
plates you can attach to your fence so the magnets stick (though I suppose
that will mess up all measurements with the fence gauge built in to the
table) but what about the table itself?

snipped
You're SOL...
Clamps, mebbe?
GD&R!

stoutman

Thanks for your 2-cents, but "I" was the one inquiring as to the DIY
magnetic featherboard and "I" do have the time and desire to build my own.
I bet I can make one that would do the job for 1/3 the price. Just looking
to see if anyone else has tried.

You never made your own jig for woodworking? Do you make your own push
sticks or do you buy those as well?
Thanks

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am a big fan of the Grip-tite...we use them on the tablesaw and on
the jointer as well ....well worth every penny..as far as making a set
myself ..I am a woodworker, not a jig and machine maker...I build
furniture, I do not have the time or desire to build my own feather
boards when I can buy a superior product...my time is worth more than
that
good luck,
Mike from American Sycamore
www.americansycamoreretreat.com

Edwin Pawlowski

"Dick Snyder" wrote in message
I have an aluminum fence and table on my Bosch TS. I know they sell steel
plates you can attach to your fence so the magnets stick (though I suppose
that will mess up all measurements with the fence gauge built in to the
table) but what about the table itself?

You can usually adjust the cursor on the fence to compensate. SOL on the
table though.

John

Have made clones of the GripTite with about 6 of the 1in LeeValley
super magnets. You DO need to put a cam lever to be able to get it
loose from the table top. Used Forstner bits to drill the recesses
for the magnets and the metal carriers for the magnets, glued and
screwed to hold in place, then put the non-skid adhesive disks to keep
it from sliding around

John

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 01:31:58 GMT, max wrote:

I have been using Grip-tite's for so long I can't remember not using them. I
think they are worth every penny. I also have those wheels that got5 on the
fence, the feather boards and various other things but prefer the magnets.
Mine are so old they are made out of wood.
max

Anybody use magnetic featherboards for the table saw. The Griptite look ok,
but exensive ($40 AT WOODCRAFT).

Anybody make their own? I have a pretty strong magnet that I bought that
cleans my fish tank glass (the magnetic portion stays on one side of the
glass and the metallic portion is in the water on the other side) and I was
thinking of converting them into featherboards. Anyone try this?

thanks

Bill Otten

You'll note that "HE" is a professional, not a hobbyist like the rest of us.
And "HE" makes a living building furniture, where "HE" can pass on the cost
of "HIS" purchased jigs or feather boards by incorporating them into "HIS"
furniture. Time is money to him, not to us hobbyists. Personally, "I" get a
great deal of satisfaction out of my woodworking making both the item and
the necessary jigs. But then I also enjoy using hand planes and antique
tools like my 1941 Craftsman 24" scroll saw.

bill

"stoutman" wrote in message
.com...
Thanks for your 2-cents, but "I" was the one inquiring as to the DIY
magnetic featherboard and "I" do have the time and desire to build my own.
I bet I can make one that would do the job for 1/3 the price. Just
looking to see if anyone else has tried.

You never made your own jig for woodworking? Do you make your own push
sticks or do you buy those as well?
Thanks

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am a big fan of the Grip-tite...we use them on the tablesaw and on
the jointer as well ....well worth every penny..as far as making a set
myself ..I am a woodworker, not a jig and machine maker...I build
furniture, I do not have the time or desire to build my own feather
boards when I can buy a superior product...my time is worth more than
that
good luck,
Mike from American Sycamore
www.americansycamoreretreat.com

I do buy my push sticks...Rocklers and the Grr-Ripper System Micro Jig
Inc. Making a push stick that takes less than 2 minutes is quite
different that making a magnetic feather board that sells so cheap at
less than $40.00. MY time in the shop is so limited and I want to
build furniture, not jigs and fixtures. Why waste your precision time
building a product when I can buy one cheaper and better made?. I
meant no disrespect to you or wanted to upset you in any way. If you
have the free time and want to make jigs, go for it.
Mike

Rob Spear

Had mine for 7 or 8 years now, don't use them all the time, but when i
need them i got them......i think they were well worth the investment,
bought them at the woodworking show in Milwaukee.

My advice is anyone who has a table saw should have a pair of them.

Bill,

My time in the shop building a piece of furniture for my friends,
family, or client is so limited that I must make choices. Do I want to
spend all day building a featherboard that I can buy for less than
$40.00 or do I want to build a piece of furniture? I meant no
disrespect.... I wanted other woodworkers to consider the true cost of
building a feather board rather than buying one from such a repetable
company as Grip-tite.My name is Mike and you do not have to refer to me
as "he". I am just a woodworker trying to make a living.

Mike

BillyBob

"Dick Snyder" wrote in message
I have an aluminum fence and table on my Bosch TS. I know they sell steel
plates you can attach to your fence so the magnets stick (though I suppose
that will mess up all measurements with the fence gauge built in to the
table) but what about the table itself?

Dick, I have the full grip-tite system that includes the pressure rollers
and metal fence. I never use them in any other position on the table saw,
except mounted on the fence. The roller system works to hold the wood down,
as well as pull it against the fence. The rollers are mounted at a slight
angle which causes the force to hold the wood against the fence.

I use the grip-tites on all my rip cuts for boards that are longer than
about 16". If its 16" or smaller, I use a GRRRipper. I haven't used a
conventional push stick on my table saw in so long, I don't know if I
remember how.

People say the Grip-tites are expensive. I don't think so. All the
components are heavy duty and meant to last through 1000's of cuts. This
includes the feathers themselves which are made of Lexan, not plastic as
some might think.

Bob

mac davis

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 00:32:57 GMT, "stoutman" wrote:

Anybody use magnetic featherboards for the table saw. The Griptite look ok,
but exensive ($40 AT WOODCRAFT).

Anybody make their own? I have a pretty strong magnet that I bought that
cleans my fish tank glass (the magnetic portion stays on one side of the
glass and the metallic portion is in the water on the other side) and I was
thinking of converting them into featherboards. Anyone try this?

thanks

Not sure on featherboards yet, but I just made a fence for my band saw out of 2
x 2" stock and 4 rare earth magnets, (one on each end on the table side, 2 along
the fence for the table surface), and it stays put really well..

Not sure on a featherboard, as the force directed on them is sort of a sliding
action, and a magnet will slide much easier than it will "pull off"" a surface..

Buy yourself $20 worth of rare earth magnets on Ebay (I like the round disks,
because you drill holes for them) and you'll find hundreds of uses for them in
the shop.. and have a lot of fun with 'em.. lol

(I gave 2 of them to a neighbor and he put them on a key chain.. last week in
Walmart, he had his keys in his pants pocket and stuck to the jewelry counter...
the saleslady freaked *g*)

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Edwin Pawlowski

"mac davis" wrote in message
Not sure on featherboards yet, but I just made a fence for my band saw out
of 2
x 2" stock and 4 rare earth magnets, (one on each end on the table side, 2
along
the fence for the table surface), and it stays put really well..

Not sure on a featherboard, as the force directed on them is sort of a
sliding
action, and a magnet will slide much easier than it will "pull off"" a
surface..

In paragraph one you state you made a fence and it stays well put.

In paragraph tow you mention how a magnet will slide easily.

I'm confused, Won't the fence slide easily? I put a lot of pressure
against it when I resaw and I don't think I'd trust a magnet. The force of
a featherboard will be the same as on the fence as the wood is pushed
between them.

If the fence stays that well put, how do you make very tiny adjustments to
it?
Ed

"mac davis" wrote in message
[...]

Good way to erase the magnetic strip on your credit cards...
I generally avoid putting magnets in my pockets.

-j

Bob G.

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 00:32:57 GMT, "stoutman" wrote:

Anybody use magnetic featherboards for the table saw. The Griptite look ok,
but exensive ($40 AT WOODCRAFT).

Anybody make their own? I have a pretty strong magnet that I bought that
cleans my fish tank glass (the magnetic portion stays on one side of the
glass and the metallic portion is in the water on the other side) and I was
thinking of converting them into featherboards. Anyone try this?

thanks

I was given a few Benchdog (orange)..if that makes a difference
featherboads a few years ago to use with my benchdog router table

BUT....I use them 10 times more on the the tablessaw..

I have not reached for my magnetic featherboard since I tried the
benchdog units.. They just work what can I say...

Bob Griffiths

Tom O'Connor

These things are well worth the price. I've had one for years and use
it all the time.

Leon

"stoutman" wrote in message
m...
Anybody use magnetic featherboards for the table saw. The Griptite look
ok, but exensive ($40 AT WOODCRAFT).

Anybody make their own? I have a pretty strong magnet that I bought that
cleans my fish tank glass (the magnetic portion stays on one side of the
glass and the metallic portion is in the water on the other side) and I
was thinking of converting them into featherboards. Anyone try this?

thanks

Well contrary to most users findings, I did not like them, The did not grip
tight enough for me and I found that they would slip if a little leverage
worked against them. I was surprised to see that they moved so easily.
Like Bob G. I prefer the orange Bench dog feather boards. Those don't
slip.

mac davis

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 19:00:19 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"mac davis" wrote in message
[...]

As far as I can tell so far, the main reason that the fence stays put is the
combination of magnets on the bottom and on the "squaring tee" or whatever you'd
call the part of the fence that rides on the side of the table..
I think that keeps it where you put it, in addition to the fence being tall, and
the log round, so a lot of the side force is up high... it seems that the log
trying to push the fence "over" is very difficult, but if I try to use the fence
for things like plywood, the back tends to move..
My guess (just starting experimenting a week ago) is that if the work is pushing
sideways on the magnets, they slip, but if the force is trying to "pull" them
off the table, the magnets are very hard to move..

I'll have to try adapting my featherboard to a "t" or something and try it.. (it
clamps on right now, as it's built for a router table)

opps.. almost missed your last question, about adjustments..
I copied my Shopsmith fence and put an allen setscrew in each side to the "T" so
that if you want an angle, you run one set screw in to push one side of the "T"
slightly away from the table side, or in my case, the metal plate that I bolted
to the side of the table..

The whole setup will probably become obsolete when I put the riser block on and
build a resawing sled.. (also plan on putting a larger table (wood) over the
existing one, so magnets won't help any more)