"mac davis" wrote in message
On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 00:32:57 GMT, "stoutman" wrote:

Anybody use magnetic featherboards for the table saw. The Griptite look

ok,
but exensive ($40 AT WOODCRAFT).

Anybody make their own? I have a pretty strong magnet that I bought that
cleans my fish tank glass (the magnetic portion stays on one side of the
glass and the metallic portion is in the water on the other side) and I

was
thinking of converting them into featherboards. Anyone try this?

thanks

Not sure on featherboards yet, but I just made a fence for my band saw out

of 2
x 2" stock and 4 rare earth magnets, (one on each end on the table side, 2

along
the fence for the table surface), and it stays put really well..

Not sure on a featherboard, as the force directed on them is sort of a

sliding
action, and a magnet will slide much easier than it will "pull off"" a

surface..

Buy yourself $20 worth of rare earth magnets on Ebay (I like the round

disks,
because you drill holes for them) and you'll find hundreds of uses for

them in
the shop.. and have a lot of fun with 'em.. lol

(I gave 2 of them to a neighbor and he put them on a key chain.. last week

in
Walmart, he had his keys in his pants pocket and stuck to the jewelry

counter...
the saleslady freaked *g*)

mac

Good way to erase the magnetic strip on your credit cards...
I generally avoid putting magnets in my pockets.

-j