Electronics (alt.electronics)

Donald Jamieson

Default Magnetic Field Problem

I would like to use a radio on a table which also has a TV . The
magnetic field from the TV causes a severe hum on the radio when it is
tuned to AM stations. The table itself is only 3 1/2 ft in width and
fits the TV and radio very nicely.

My question: Is there anyway I can block the magnetic field from the
TV so I can get better radio reception without taking the TV from the
table?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Robert Morein

"Donald Jamieson" wrote in message

I would like to use a radio on a table which also has a TV . The
magnetic field from the TV causes a severe hum on the radio when it is
tuned to AM stations. The table itself is only 3 1/2 ft in width and
fits the TV and radio very nicely.

My question: Is there anyway I can block the magnetic field from the
TV so I can get better radio reception without taking the TV from the
table?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Do you have the hum with the TV turned off?

Larry

Donald Jamieson wrote in message . ..
I would like to use a radio on a table which also has a TV . The
magnetic field from the TV causes a severe hum on the radio when it is
tuned to AM stations. The table itself is only 3 1/2 ft in width and
fits the TV and radio very nicely.

My question: Is there anyway I can block the magnetic field from the
TV so I can get better radio reception without taking the TV from the
table?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Magnetic yes to the point RF field.
Why do you need AM at same time TV on?
Anyway 1 place TV in copper screened box (3D) and decouple power
line and cable going into TV.
If need do the same to the radio.
Better to remove cause a source,TV.

Hope it helps
Donald Jamieson

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 22:47:14 -0400, "Robert Morein"
wrote:

"Donald Jamieson" wrote in message
.. .

I would like to use a radio on a table which also has a TV . The
magnetic field from the TV causes a severe hum on the radio when it is
tuned to AM stations. The table itself is only 3 1/2 ft in width and
fits the TV and radio very nicely.

My question: Is there anyway I can block the magnetic field from the
TV so I can get better radio reception without taking the TV from the
table?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Do you have the hum with the TV turned off?

Yes. When the radio is in use the TV is off and visa versa. I might
mention that the TV is probably 12 years old if that means anything.

Douglas D. Anderson

"Donald Jamieson" wrote
wrote:

"Donald Jamieson" wrote in message
.. .

I would like to use a radio on a table which also has a TV . The
magnetic field from the TV causes a severe hum on the radio when it is
tuned to AM stations. The table itself is only 3 1/2 ft in width and
fits the TV and radio very nicely.

My question: Is there anyway I can block the magnetic field from the
TV so I can get better radio reception without taking the TV from the
table?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Do you have the hum with the TV turned off?

Yes. When the radio is in use the TV is off and visa versa. I might
mention that the TV is probably 12 years old if that means anything.

TV's with remote on/off are not entirely off when off, power is needed
for the remote sensor and switching. Try unplugging the TV. If that does
not help, and you are sure it's the TV, i.e., does the hum go away when
you remove the TV?, the problem is liable to be that the TV power cord
or antenna is picking up radiation from a nearby noise generator, such as
a fluorescent lamp or a dimmer switch, and coupling that RFI pick-up to
the radio. If you insist of having the TV and radio together, you could
try putting up a tuned AM antenna high up, such as on a ten foot mast on
the peek of your roof, with properly matched cable to the radio, or, you
could try listening to FM. :-)