igor

Default plain info on planes - ISO

I am looking for some plain info on hand planes. A book and/or a DVD.

I do not want to make planes. I do not want to collect planes. I do not
want to admire their beauty. I do not want to bow down and worship planes.
I do not want to develop some psycho-sexual relationship with planes.
(Though, I must say, I have enjoyed some of the writings here of those who
seemingly have done that. Tool-porn prose, that you very much.)

I do not own any planes. The most I have ever done with a plane was, long
ago, with my Dad's guidance, plane down the top of a swollen door.

I have been drawn to the neander dark side by those of you who have come to
know and love your planes -- or, it not the planes themselves, then what
you can accomplish with them. And, after a trip to a recent woodworking
show, both to a scraper demo and the LV booth, I seem convinced to consider
manual labor in the shop.

I want simple info, simply presented. If I need to clean up a tenon, I
want to know what plane I should get/use (and maybe an alt. selection), how
it should be set, and how it should be moved to do what I need. I want to
know what size plane I should get of a given type -- the ups and downs of
larger or smaller. Extra points if the book/video tells me how to sharpen
my planes -- though Leonard Lee's book may be joining my library.

According to Amazon.com, FWW is coming out with a book on the subject
within the next week or so. I also found The Handplane Book by Garrett
Hack and John Sheldon, which was well reviewed. (As for a visit to my
local library, and I am a big supporter of public libraries, the pickin's
are slim to none, with none in the lead.)

Please suggest. TIA. -- Igor
Swingman

"igor" wrote in message ...
I am looking for some plain info on hand planes. A book and/or a DVD.

While books can often shortcut the process ... it ain't gonna work in this
case.

Simply spend the money (subtract the cost of the book) to buy a good "low
angle block plane", then use it once and you will instinctively know more
than all that book learning can ever impart.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

igor

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 14:28:14 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

"igor" wrote in message ...
I am looking for some plain info on hand planes. A book and/or a DVD.

While books can often shortcut the process ... it ain't gonna work in this
case.

Simply spend the money (subtract the cost of the book) to buy a good "low
angle block plane", then use it once and you will instinctively know more
than all that book learning can ever impart.

Thanks. And, I s'pose I agree. But one initial bit of info I need(ed) is
why a low angle block plane versus a smoother versus a whatever? (For that
matter, viaduct?) Many people post here asking, "What kind of X tool
should I buy?" w/o saying what they want to do. While my original post
included lots of requirements for a book/video, frankly I could start with
a good link to an article on planes -- types & functions. As you state, I
do expect that the real learnin' will start with tool in hand, as Onan
discovered. -- Igor
George

"igor" wrote in message

Thanks. And, I s'pose I agree. But one initial bit of info I need(ed) is
why a low angle block plane versus a smoother versus a whatever? (For

that
matter, viaduct?) Many people post here asking, "What kind of X tool
should I buy?" w/o saying what they want to do. While my original post
included lots of requirements for a book/video, frankly I could start with
a good link to an article on planes -- types & functions. As you state, I
do expect that the real learnin' will start with tool in hand, as Onan
discovered. -- Igor

Well, just to get you excited, not the solution (pun intended) that you
seek, but good information.

http://www.amgron.clara.net/

Why a low-angle smoother? Because it works great on hard/soft/difficult
wood. Working some black ash with a lot of reversals today, and it's
working better than my favorite Stanley smoother. Using my LV Junior Jack
and the LN low angle afterward. On straighter grain, Stanley would do, but
I can work the low angle almost across the grain and get a shine. Also a
lot more hand room for the hand not otherwise occupied behind the LV design
smoother and LN low angle.

Swingman

"igor" wrote in message ...
[...]

The low angle block plane, at least for me, has been an excellent ALL
purpose plane, easy to use and with many uses. In my limited experience with
planes of all types, I think it is a great first investment. I've used it
for many tasks, within reason, that you would use a specifically designed
plane for ... even to edge "jointing" smaller stock.

Now those more neander than I may have reservations and qualification based
on their experience ... but I am not long out of the same boat you find
yourself in as far a planes go and I am just giving you my singular judgment
in the matter.

I do have a number of planes ... if I were forced to rid myself of all but
one, that one would be the Veritas Low Angle Block Plane. My next plane
purchase will be a good "shoulder" plane for cleaning up of tenons

FWIW, YMMV, ITSFWI, et cetera ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

OldMan

Ask and you shall receive..... This article talks about nearly every Stanley
plane made, and is a good guide in deciding what to buy (especially if you
buy a vintage plane and restore it). I hope this helps, I have only
recently begun to buy hand planes myself and after restoring a few vintage
ones to working condition I am quite happy with a quiet workshop.

http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0a.html

Good luck!

"igor" wrote in message ...
[...]

AAvK

Thanks. And, I s'pose I agree. But one initial bit of info I need(ed) is
why a low angle block plane versus a smoother versus a whatever? (For that
matter, viaduct?) Many people post here asking, "What kind of X tool
should I buy?" w/o saying what they want to do. While my original post
included lots of requirements for a book/video, frankly I could start with
a good link to an article on planes -- types & functions. As you state, I
do expect that the real learnin' will start with tool in hand, as Onan
discovered. -- Igor

You want to know what planes you would buy for whichever purpose??? Then
get that handplane book or ask that question directly as is.

BTW...incorrect on the "Onan thing" ha ha ha ... he disobayed God and "pulled out"
instead of getting her pregnant. Look it up.

--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

AAvK

I do have a number of planes ... if I were forced to rid myself of all but
one, that one would be the Veritas Low Angle Block Plane. My next plane
purchase will be a good "shoulder" plane for cleaning up of tenons
FWIW, YMMV, ITSFWI, et cetera ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

I thought of that during thinking of designing and building my workbench
and realized I will need to smooth the tennons, cut them slightly oversized
and then shape them to perfection, so, the one kind of wooden plane not
made currently are skew blade shoulder/rabbet planes, because you're cutting
across grain. There's always several on eBay at any one time. I bought a
few for around $10 each, as long as there was a long blade length included,
and in good enough condition to be tuned up, no cracks allowed. Just a
suggestion.

--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

igor

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 18:37:10 -0800, "AAvK" wrote:

Thanks. And, I s'pose I agree. But one initial bit of info I need(ed) is
why a low angle block plane versus a smoother versus a whatever? (For that
matter, viaduct?) Many people post here asking, "What kind of X tool
should I buy?" w/o saying what they want to do. While my original post
included lots of requirements for a book/video, frankly I could start with
a good link to an article on planes -- types & functions. As you state, I
do expect that the real learnin' will start with tool in hand, as Onan
discovered. -- Igor

You want to know what planes you would buy for whichever purpose??? Then
get that handplane book or ask that question directly as is.

BTW...incorrect on the "Onan thing" ha ha ha ... he disobayed God and "pulled out"
instead of getting her pregnant. Look it up.

Well, according to that great historian, The 2000 Year Old Man, Onan was
the greatest inventor of all time. He discovered himself. (Then again,
TTTYOM said that the greatest invention of all time is liquid Prell. Why?
Compared to the heart-lung machine? Because, if a heart-lung machine is in
your medicine cabinet and it falls out, it will break. (Take a beat.) But
not liquid Prell!)

See also:
Some Thoughts on the Science of Onanism
A speech delivered to the Stomach Club, a society of American writers and
artists, Paris, 1879, by Mark Twain
http://www.ralphmag.org/onan.html

And, The American HeritageĀ® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth
Edition. 2000. (They may have the order backwards.)
http://www.bartleby.com/61/48/O0074800.html

Or, for a more theologically based discussion (which sides with me), see
LIVING TRADITION, ORGAN OF THE ROMAN THEOLOGICAL FORUM. (Yes, "Organ".)
"But, as I hope to show, this [i.e., your] reading of Genesis has so little
to recommend it exegetically that one can only assume that its popularity
in recent decades is due mainly to the modern prejudices of theologians and
exegetes who see intrinsically sterile types of sexual activity as morally
unobjectionable in themselves (or even as necessary at times) - and who
therefore have a strong vested interest in minimizing whatever biblical
evidence there may be against these practices."
http://www.rtforum.org/lt/lt67.html

Clearly, you must be one of those darn exegetes. (Whatever that means.)

But seriously, thanks for laughing at the joke. And, I did not know about
the interruptus charge of the indictment, just that other thing, that Onan
preferred it in hand, not in bush. So, I learned sumtin today, for which I
thank you. -- Igor
Noons

igor wrote:

I do not want to develop some psycho-sexual relationship with planes.

You don't know the power of the dark side...

I want simple info, simply presented. If I need to clean up a tenon,

want to know what plane I should get/use (and maybe an alt.

selection), how
it should be set, and how it should be moved to do what I need. I

want to
know what size plane I should get of a given type -- the ups and

downs of
larger or smaller. Extra points if the book/video tells me how to

sharpen
my planes -- though Leonard Lee's book may be joining my library.

Leonard Lee's book is as good as it gets.
The secret to successfully using hand tools is
not a secret at all. Three major things:
1- Sharpness
2- Technique
3- Quality tools

For 1, the book above is good to excellent. Then you need the
supplies...
For 2, Garret Hack's book on hand planes is a good start. (to the
slope...)
For 3, I'd consider it a minimum start kit a good low angle block
plane (LV, Lie-Nielsen), a good rabbet plane (Record 73 if you can
find one, L-N equivalent, Steve Knight's?, HNT Gordon),
and a good all purpose jackplane (sorry folks, there is only one:
L-N low-angle jack).

From there onwards, it's a slippery slope.

Ask the missus to hold your cars and wallet
when going to a wood shop or show or else it's
never gonna end.

BillyBob

"igor" wrote in message
I am looking for some plain info on hand planes. A book and/or a DVD.

I own the fine woodworking video on handplanes. It covers tuning and use of
four major handplane types. I've done a fair amount of reading, but I found
the video to be clearer and also quite practical. It seems to demystify
tuning and using handplanes.

Bob

AAvK

[...]

Uh-huh...hhmmm...look... none of the speculation that people come up with in
any field can possibly change these two verses,

New American Standard Bible:

Genesis 38:8
Then Judah said to Onan, "Go in to your brother's wife, and perform
your duty as a brother-in-law to her, and raise up offspring for your
brother."

Genesis 38:9
Onan knew that the offspring would not be his; so when he went in to
his brother's wife, he wasted his seed on the ground in order not to give
offspring to his brother.

As I originally meant to say...he didn't ********** such as too many non readers
do speculate. Nothing else works if it isn't there, only that which is there can work.

"Exegetes"? Exegetesis Exegetesist... http://www.hyperdictionary.com/

2nd Timothy 2:15
Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to
be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth.

And thank you! I am glad I learned that word. It is not my site but try that link down
below. You seem to have something of an interest, it has many translations, comm-
entaries, dictionaries, and a search engine. Also maps and great art and charts, 97%
for free.

--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Conan the Librarian

igor wrote:

I am looking for some plain info on hand planes. A book and/or a DVD.

I do not want to make planes. I do not want to collect planes. I do not
want to admire their beauty. I do not want to bow down and worship planes.
I do not want to develop some psycho-sexual relationship with planes.

You say that like it's a bad thing. :-)

[...]

As someone else suggested, check out Patrick Leach's Stanley Blood &
Gore website. It may be a bit much to absorb at the beginning, but keep
it bookmarked and you will find yourself returning to it often.

Hack's book is probably the most succinct and in-depth book I know
of for the basics of plane use. It lists the basic and specialty
planes, describes their uses and gives tuning and sharpening tips.
(Though I still recommend you get Lee's sharpening book.)

As far as "starter planes" for your shop -- I can't truly disagree
with those who recommend a low-angle block, but, I personally would go
with a low-angle smoother or L-N's low-angle jack. IMHO, they are more
versatile than the block plane, because they can be used for jointing
small boards, set coarse for stock removal/flattening boards, used on
endgrain, and set fine for final smoothing.

Because of the bevel-up configuration, you can also buy an extra
iron for your plane, and sharpen it to a higher angle, in effect giving
you a second plane for different types of wood.

FWIW, I own mumble mumble hand planes, and while some would call
me a dilettante (hey, who you callin' a dilettante?), I always have a
project of some sort going on in my shop (currently that number would be
three ... ooops, make that four). I also do all of my dimensioning,
surfacing and smoothing with handtools. The planes that permanently
reside in the tool tray beneath my bench are a LV low-angle smoother,
and the L-N #62.

Chuck Vance (not a worshipper of planes, so much as a worshipper
of wood ... er, nevermind)
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 03:19:38 GMT, the inscrutable igor
spake:

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 18:37:10 -0800, "AAvK" wrote:
Thanks. And, I s'pose I agree. But one initial bit of info I need(ed) is
why a low angle block plane versus a smoother versus a whatever? (For that
matter, viaduct?) Many people post here asking, "What kind of X tool
should I buy?" w/o saying what they want to do. While my original post
included lots of requirements for a book/video, frankly I could start with
a good link to an article on planes -- types & functions. As you state, I
do expect that the real learnin' will start with tool in hand, as Onan
discovered. -- Igor

Grab Jim Kingshott's pair of videos on plane use and care.
They're great! http://www.thebestthings.com/books/videos.htm

You want to know what planes you would buy for whichever purpose??? Then
get that handplane book or ask that question directly as is.

BTW...incorrect on the "Onan thing" ha ha ha ... he disobayed God and "pulled out"
instead of getting her pregnant. Look it up.

Well, according to that great historian, The 2000 Year Old Man, Onan was
the greatest inventor of all time. He discovered himself. (Then again,
TTTYOM said that the greatest invention of all time is liquid Prell. Why?
Compared to the heart-lung machine? Because, if a heart-lung machine is in
your medicine cabinet and it falls out, it will break. (Take a beat.) But
not liquid Prell!)

Prell be praised!

See also:
Some Thoughts on the Science of Onanism
A speech delivered to the Stomach Club, a society of American writers and
artists, Paris, 1879, by Mark Twain
http://www.ralphmag.org/onan.html

heh heh heh

Or, for a more theologically based discussion (which sides with me), see
LIVING TRADITION, ORGAN OF THE ROMAN THEOLOGICAL FORUM. (Yes, "Organ".)
"But, as I hope to show, this [i.e., your] reading of Genesis has so little
to recommend it exegetically that one can only assume that its popularity
in recent decades is due mainly to the modern prejudices of theologians and
exegetes who see intrinsically sterile types of sexual activity as morally
unobjectionable in themselves (or even as necessary at times) - and who
therefore have a strong vested interest in minimizing whatever biblical
evidence there may be against these practices."
http://www.rtforum.org/lt/lt67.html

See what abstinence DOES to folks? It's downright criminal.
tsk tsk tsk

Clearly, you must be one of those darn exegetes. (Whatever that means.)

Sounds like a painful rectal condition.

But seriously, thanks for laughing at the joke. And, I did not know about
the interruptus charge of the indictment, just that other thing, that Onan
preferred it in hand, not in bush. So, I learned sumtin today, for which I
thank you. -- Igor

I'm turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think so.

Never put off 'til tomorrow | http://www.diversify.com
what you can avoid altogether. | Dynamic Website Applications

igor

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 03:36:23 GMT, "BillyBob"
wrote:

"igor" wrote in message
.. .
I am looking for some plain info on hand planes. A book and/or a DVD.

I own the fine woodworking video on handplanes. It covers tuning and use of
four major handplane types. I've done a fair amount of reading, but I found
the video to be clearer and also quite practical. It seems to demystify
tuning and using handplanes.

Bob

Thanks all for the advice and suggestions. I ordered the FWW video since
Mike's Tools carries it and it has a good price and gets free shipping on
another order I was placing.

One more step towards the Neander side. I think the hair on my knuckles is
already getting thicker, but that should be kept in check by the sidewalk
scraping. -- Igor

Swingman

"igor" wrote in message

One more step towards the Neander side. I think the hair on my knuckles

is
already getting thicker,

Hate to tell you this, but you should have learned what causes that back in
elementary school.

Don't forget to start collecting information, and all the necessary bits,
pieces and paraphernalia that you need to keep the damn things sharp.

Buying the first plane is just the tip of the financial iceberg, and a
slippery sloped one it be.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

"Swingman" wrote in message
"igor" wrote in message

One more step towards the Neander side. I think the hair on my knuckles

is
already getting thicker,

Hate to tell you this, but you should have learned what causes that back

in
elementary school.

Don't forget to start collecting information, and all the necessary bits,
pieces and paraphernalia that you need to keep the damn things sharp.

Buying the first plane is just the tip of the financial iceberg, and a
slippery sloped one it be.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Thanks to a habit of scrounging at garage sales and the like and the
occasional Steve Knight sale, I find that I have almost as much invested in
sharpening as I do in actual planes.

http://masamiki.com/mono/tools/sharpeningmain.htm

-j

Andy Dingley

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 20:20:21 GMT, igor wrote:

I am looking for some plain info on hand planes. A book and/or a DVD.

Jeff Gorman's website

A little book from the 1950's called "Planecraft". Produced by Record,
AFAIR, it's quite a common find, certainly in the UK.

The Garrett Hack book.
Lobby Dosser

Andy Dingley wrote:

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 20:20:21 GMT, igor wrote:

I am looking for some plain info on hand planes. A book and/or a DVD.

Jeff Gorman's website

A little book from the 1950's called "Planecraft". Produced by Record,
AFAIR, it's quite a common find, certainly in the UK.

Woodcraft publishes this in the US for $11.99.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3421

The Garrett Hack book.