Noons

igor wrote:

I do not want to develop some psycho-sexual relationship with planes.

You don't know the power of the dark side...

I want simple info, simply presented. If I need to clean up a tenon,

want to know what plane I should get/use (and maybe an alt.

selection), how
it should be set, and how it should be moved to do what I need. I

want to
know what size plane I should get of a given type -- the ups and

downs of
larger or smaller. Extra points if the book/video tells me how to

sharpen
my planes -- though Leonard Lee's book may be joining my library.

Leonard Lee's book is as good as it gets.
The secret to successfully using hand tools is
not a secret at all. Three major things:
1- Sharpness
2- Technique
3- Quality tools

For 1, the book above is good to excellent. Then you need the
supplies...
For 2, Garret Hack's book on hand planes is a good start. (to the
slope...)
For 3, I'd consider it a minimum start kit a good low angle block
plane (LV, Lie-Nielsen), a good rabbet plane (Record 73 if you can
find one, L-N equivalent, Steve Knight's?, HNT Gordon),
and a good all purpose jackplane (sorry folks, there is only one:
L-N low-angle jack).

From there onwards, it's a slippery slope.

Ask the missus to hold your cars and wallet
when going to a wood shop or show or else it's
never gonna end.