OldMan

Ask and you shall receive..... This article talks about nearly every Stanley
plane made, and is a good guide in deciding what to buy (especially if you
buy a vintage plane and restore it). I hope this helps, I have only
recently begun to buy hand planes myself and after restoring a few vintage
ones to working condition I am quite happy with a quiet workshop.

http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0a.html

Good luck!

"igor" wrote in message
On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 14:28:14 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

"igor" wrote in message ...
I am looking for some plain info on hand planes. A book and/or a DVD.

While books can often shortcut the process ... it ain't gonna work in this
case.

Simply spend the money (subtract the cost of the book) to buy a good "low
angle block plane", then use it once and you will instinctively know more
than all that book learning can ever impart.

Thanks. And, I s'pose I agree. But one initial bit of info I need(ed) is
why a low angle block plane versus a smoother versus a whatever? (For
that
matter, viaduct?) Many people post here asking, "What kind of X tool
should I buy?" w/o saying what they want to do. While my original post
included lots of requirements for a book/video, frankly I could start with
a good link to an article on planes -- types & functions. As you state, I
do expect that the real learnin' will start with tool in hand, as Onan
discovered. -- Igor