Steve Knight

Default FS 30% off summer sale lots of cool planes and new tools to see.

30%0 Off planes of all sorts.
New marking knives and hammers are now available.
http://www.knight-toolworks.com/web_.../newknives.jpg
made by CHESTER TOOLWORKS LLC and they are made from precision ground 3/32"
thick O1 tool steel and are 5/16" wide. Snakewood, East Indian Rosewood,
Brazilian Tulipwood, or Gabon Ebony. 44.00 for the snakewood and shipping 39.00
and shipping for the other woods.
New plane adjusting hammer
http://www.knight-toolworks.com/web_.../newhammer.jpg
CTW hammers are designed specifically for adjusting the blades and wedges of
wooden hand planes and infill hand planes. The polished brass and Lignum Vitae
head is weighted toward the brass striking end and is designed so that it
won't mar or mushroom the blade like steel hammers. The Lignum end is of a
smaller diameter and is used to tap the toe or heel of the plane without leaving
dent marks. It should also be the end used for tapping wedges tight since it
won't damage the heel of the wedge. Handles are individually shaped from
Quartersawn White Ash with the grain oriented to prevent the runout which
weakens many other hammer handles. 45.00 plus shipping.
New plane idea's
http://www.knight-toolworks.com/web_...urpleheart.jpg
http://www.knight-toolworks.com/web_...laybubinga.jpg

I also have new tools almost ready for beta testing email me if interested. A
plow plane a side rabbet plane based on a nice old design and a set of T&G
planes.

Knight Toolworks in conjunction with Harrolson at www.japanesetools.com have had
these custom made Japanese irons made for western planes. These are the first
and only hand forged/laminated Japanese irons that will fit a regular wedged
plane.
They are 2" wide and 5.25" long and are a bit over ¼" thick. They will drop into
any knight Toolworks plane that uses a 2" iron with just a little mouth and
wedge adjustment.
They are made from blue steel (holds and edge longer then pretty much any tool
steel on the market) and wrought iron. I believe these to be the best irons out
there over O-1 and A-2 irons. They will hold an edge longer then A-2 they will
get sharper they will leave a deeper/cleaner surface and they make the plane
easier to use. They will really help with tearout too.
They are hand stamped with Shizu Tani (tranquil valley) Shipping is 5.00
including insurance.
http://www.knight-toolworks.com/web_...ironcoffin.jpg
http://www.knight-toolworks.com/grap...gradeirons.jpg

All planes now have finger grips and brass set screws to adjust the fit of the
iron.
Rock maple
Purpleheart
Cocobolo at an extra cost is also available.
Padouk
Please check my page for all my planes www.knight-toolworks.com

I also have razee jointers and jack planes and scrubs.
http://www.knight-toolworks.com/wooden.htm
I have great looking/feeling coffin smoothers
http://www.knight-toolworks.com/graphics/coffin.jpg
All planes now have setscrews to center the irons in the body and make adjusting
the iron easy.

All planes are sanded/planed and finished with a special oil and wax finish.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
David Zaret

i disagree. i, for one, appreciate steve's postings, whether to
advertise his incredible products or to respond to someone's questions.

steve, keep it up, and please continue to add value to the newsgroup.

--- dz

Chris Melanson wrote:

Since when did this become a commercial advertisement forum ? You do not
see the many shop owners in this forum whoreing there products here do you?
Please take out an ad in a newspaper or trade publication not here.

Chris

Layne

I agree with David. Steve Knight contributes a lot of info to this
forum and I don't mind this kind of post once in a while. In fact,
Steve hardly does this and this is the first time I've ever seen him
post an ad. Steve isn't HD or Lowe's. He's a one man operation.

Layne

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 03:24:57 GMT, "Chris Melanson"
wrote:

Since when did this become a commercial advertisement forum ? You do not
see the many shop owners in this forum whoreing there products here do you?
Please take out an ad in a newspaper or trade publication not here.

Chris

Todd Fatheree

"Chris Melanson" wrote in message
Since when did this become a commercial advertisement forum ? You do

not
see the many shop owners in this forum whoreing there products here do

you?
Please take out an ad in a newspaper or trade publication not here.

Chris

Since when did you get elected moderator? For one, I think there's a big
difference between an "outsider" doing a drive-by commercial posting and a
10-year contributing member of the group posting some of his wares.
Overall, the group seems to tolerate FS and FA postings from regular
members.

todd

Mike Patterson

wrote:

Since when did this become a commercial advertisement forum ? You do not
see the many shop owners in this forum whoreing there products here do you?
Please take out an ad in a newspaper or trade publication not here.

Chris

You're new here, aren't ya?

Steve's been contributing to this group for several years, with an
occasional plug for his beautiful handmade tools, considerately marked
with a "FS" in the subject line so that hypersensitive types can
easily filter them out. Assuming they can figure out how to set up a
filter.

Personally, I'm very glad to see Steve having a sale. I might actually
be able to scrape up enough dough to buy something. Kinda wish I
hadn't just bought that 60GB drive...

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific..."
Chris Melanson

First thing I am not new here.
Second thing it is one thing if some one else referred his site than if
he did. If he needs to advertise he should set up a mailing list in which
the recipient gives him his permission to be on it. He could very easily do
this by setting up a link on his site.
It should not mater if someone is a "member" of a group in order to
advertise on it. It is bad edict. This is a forum for questions and answers
and an exchange of ideas not to self promote your products. Should everyone
or every business start doing it? How would you like that if the borg
started advertising there sales here? To me there is no difference ok.

Chris

John

Chris, I completly disagree. This forum has in the past allowed this to
happen and it should in the future. The borg isn't going to spam us so that
is just rambling. Steve's planes have been the topic of many threads in this
group and I think it's great that he occasionally offers them at a discount
to the readers here. I for one now have two of them and they are great and I
hope you keep posting Steve....

First thing I am not new here.
Second thing it is one thing if some one else referred his site than

if
he did. If he needs to advertise he should set up a mailing list in which
the recipient gives him his permission to be on it. He could very easily

do
this by setting up a link on his site.
It should not mater if someone is a "member" of a group in order to
advertise on it. It is bad edict. This is a forum for questions and

answers
and an exchange of ideas not to self promote your products. Should

everyone
or every business start doing it? How would you like that if the borg
started advertising there sales here? To me there is no difference ok.

Chris

Chris Melanson

Please re read my last post and try and understand my point.
I asked " How would you like that if the Borg started advertising there
sales here?" not that they were going to so there is no rambling at all.
I stated that to me there is no difference between the two forms of
advertisement. Self promoting is still self promoting no mater who dose it.
And that it is bad edict.
What part did you not understand? Let me know so I can be perfectly clear.

Chris

Mark & Juanita

wrote:

Since when did this become a commercial advertisement forum ? You do not
see the many shop owners in this forum whoreing there products here do you?
Please take out an ad in a newspaper or trade publication not here.

Chris

It has long been a rec.ww convention that such advertising by folks who
also contribute to the group is a reasonable and acceptable practice. Mike
at American Sycamore, Steve Knight, Ed Bennett and his TS Aligner, and
Robin Lee to name a few have all been acceptable postings because those
people also post advice regardless of whether they have a vested interest
in the question or not. Those who have not fared well nor been accepted
are those who drive-by post advertising without participating, or those who
under false pretenses make some reference to a vendor as if they
"discovered" said vendor when they are actually representing that vendor.

You're new here, aren't ya?

Steve's been contributing to this group for several years, with an
occasional plug for his beautiful handmade tools, considerately marked
with a "FS" in the subject line so that hypersensitive types can
easily filter them out. Assuming they can figure out how to set up a
filter.

Personally, I'm very glad to see Steve having a sale. I might actually
be able to scrape up enough dough to buy something. Kinda wish I
hadn't just bought that 60GB drive...

Good luck to you scraping up the cash, believe me, it's worth it. I took
advantage of Steve's last sale and got one of his smoothers -- it has made
a significant difference in my being able to have success with a smoothing
plane. I still haven't gotten to the point of being able to eliminate the
use of sandpaper but I am getting there.

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific..."

Mark & Juanita

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 05:19:54 GMT, "Chris Melanson"
wrote:

Please re read my last post and try and understand my point.
I asked " How would you like that if the Borg started advertising there
sales here?" not that they were going to so there is no rambling at all.
I stated that to me there is no difference between the two forms of
advertisement. Self promoting is still self promoting no mater who dose it.
And that it is bad edict.
What part did you not understand? Let me know so I can be perfectly clear.

Perhaps you could clarify what you mean by "bad edict"

Hint: (from Webster)
Main Entry: edict
Pronunciation: 'E-"dikt
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin edictum, from neuter of edictus, past
participle of edicere to decree, from e- + dicere to say -- more at DICTION
1 : a proclamation having the force of law
2 : ORDER, COMMAND we held firm to Grandmother's edict -- M. F. K. Fisher

No, I don't normally make grammatical correction postings, but in this
case this is about the fifth time you have used that phrase in this
context.

Regardless of the above nitpick, it's pretty clear to everyone involved
that you don't think commercial postings of any sort should be made in
rec.ww. Precedent and past practice have been contrary to your opinion as
I indicated in a previous response.

Chris

Todd Fatheree

"Chris Melanson" wrote in message
snip

To me there is no difference ok.

Well, it looks like you're the only one. To every other single response in
ths thread, there's a big f'ing difference. Are you starting to get a hint?
Here's an idea, since you seem to be alone in your having an issue with
Steve's posting, create a filter in your newsreader that rejects "FS"
postings.

Actually, when I read your first response, I had the distinct impression you
were a sockpuppet of one of the more disgruntled rec members who didn't have
anything better to do than register complaints.

todd

By the way, since you've generously allowed people other than Steve to refer
to his web site, I'd just like to point out that his web site is
www.knight-toolworks.com
I hear he's having a sale. I encourage everyone to buy a plane or two
tomorrow.

Mark Hopkins

Maybe you should follow some of your own advice.... Sometimes ya just gotta
love Google... Steve has contributed a lot to this group and I have no
problem with his advertising at all... One of these days I am gonna order a
plane or two from him.

Like you said, "If you do not like it try first to IGNORE IT or even better
try a filter".......OK?

From: "Chris Melanson"
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Subject: OT - FOLLOW-UP 1: Potty-mouth Charlie Self
Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 00:49:10 GMT

For some reason the first post did not seem to go through sorry if this is a
repost

What is the real problem here ?
Did someone's feelings get hurt over a few swear words. If you do not
like it IGNORE it. It is that simple OK.
I am not a Christian but I have to put up with all the god bless this
and that but I chose to IGNORE it because I believe in freedom of speech and
that everyone has the right to it. I swear like a drunken sailor on leave
around the shop. But when I am having a discussion on a news group I refrain
from swearing as it usually just takes away from the topic at hand . But I
am not going to jump up and down stamping my feet because somebody posts
some swearing. If you do not like it try first to IGNORE IT or even better
try a filter.

[......... rest of long post deleted .........]

"Chris Melanson" wrote in message
First thing I am not new here.
Second thing it is one thing if some one else referred his site than

if
he did. If he needs to advertise he should set up a mailing list in which
the recipient gives him his permission to be on it. He could very easily

do
this by setting up a link on his site.
It should not mater if someone is a "member" of a group in order to
advertise on it. It is bad edict. This is a forum for questions and

answers
and an exchange of ideas not to self promote your products. Should

everyone
or every business start doing it? How would you like that if the borg
started advertising there sales here? To me there is no difference ok.

Chris

RPRESHONG

As a died in the wool normite, I only use hand tools under duress, I do enjoy
looking at fine tools and the links that Steve has are among my favorites. To
me it goes to another thread thats going on no "Tools As Art".

I say keep em comin'

Bob makin' sawdust in Salem Or

Charlie Self

Chris Melanson responds:

Please re read my last post and try and understand my point.
I asked " How would you like that if the Borg started advertising there
sales here?" not that they were going to so there is no rambling at all.
I stated that to me there is no difference between the two forms of
advertisement.

But to me, there is a difference. And you are not a net cop who has a right to
tell me what I should think. Simply bypass the FS headers and you'll have a lot
less weight on your shoulders and I'll bet the world doesn't even notice that
your help has been subtracted.

Charlie Self
"Did you know that the White House drug test is multiple choice?" Rush Limbaugh

J. Clarke

Chris Melanson wrote:

Since when did this become a commercial advertisement forum ? You do
not
see the many shop owners in this forum whoreing there products here do
you? Please take out an ad in a newspaper or trade publication not here.

I note that Steve started posting here about the same time you did, and in
that time he has made over 5000 post, only 94 of which were advertising
items for sale, and many of which were quite helpful to others. In the
same time you made 113 posts. Seems to me that anybody who "pays" for his
ads 50:1 with useful posts that are not advertising is welcome to slip in
the occasional ad, especially when his products are in and of themselves
completely on-topic for this group, being not only useful for woodworking
but quite nice examples of same as well.

Regardless, you seem to be the only one who is upset about Steve's ads and
I'm a bit puzzled as to why you waited until now to complain. The only
progress you're going to make by continuing to tilt at this particular
windmill is to make people mad at you.

Chris

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
J. Clarke

Chris Melanson wrote:

First thing I am not new here.

Depends on how you define "new". Some of the participants have been here
since the early '90s or before.

Second thing it is one thing if some one else referred his site than
if
he did. If he needs to advertise he should set up a mailing list in which
the recipient gives him his permission to be on it. He could very easily
do this by setting up a link on his site.

He could do that and probably does. That doesn't mean that he shouldn't
inform is "friends" on rec.woodworking that he's having a sale.

It should not mater if someone is a "member" of a group in order to
advertise on it.

Why not?

It is bad edict.

"Edict"? Earth to Chris, nobody has the power to enforce "edicts" on an
unmoderated newsgroup. It is established by custom that regular
participants may post the occasional advertisement.

This is a forum for questions and
answers and an exchange of ideas not to self promote your products.

Steve exchanges ideas and answers questions better than just about anybody
else in the newsgroup. He is known and trusted in this particular
community and he has earned that by regular and active participation.

Should everyone or every business start doing it?

Every business that is willing to post 20 on-topic and usually useful or
informative posts for each ad would be welcome to do it I suspect.

How would you like that if the borg started advertising there sales here?

If they were working at the same ratio of on-topic posts to ads as Steve I
think I and many others would be ecstatic--it would mean that Home Depot
had actually hired someone whose skills went beyond fumbling with a cash
register.

To me there is no difference ok.

To most of the rest of us there is a difference. OK.

Chris

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Richard Clements

Chris with all due respect, in the nicest way possible, increase your fiber
intake, install a filter, listen to some enya, and start doing Yoga.
you'll thank me in the long run

I looked over Steve's site and I didn't see any Rabbit planes, dose anybody
know if he makes them?

Chris Melanson wrote:

Since when did this become a commercial advertisement forum ? You
do

not
see the many shop owners in this forum whoreing there products here do

you?
Please take out an ad in a newspaper or trade publication not here.

Chris

Edwin Pawlowski

"Chris Melanson" wrote in message
Since when did this become a commercial advertisement forum ? You do

not
see the many shop owners in this forum whoreing there products here do

you?
Please take out an ad in a newspaper or trade publication not here.

Chris

Chris,
Steve is not advertising, he is offering us a bargain.

Steve is like family. Go back and look at the posts he makes here. Look at
some of the charitable things he has done. Steve is a generous person who
happens to make a small living making an item we can use. I, for one,
welcome his post no matte what the topic.
You may prefer to kill fill him, and that is your right to do so.
Ed

Mike in Mystic

there are no rules to posting here and regardless of what you or anyone else
thinks Steve has every right to post whatever he wants.

As everyone else has made very clear (especially Mr. Clarke with his telling
statistics), Steve has followed every accepted practice as far as that goes.
By putting the "FS" in the header, he gave you fair warning.

So kiss off and get a life.

Bob N

"Richard Clements" wrote ...

I looked over Steve's site and I didn't see any Rabbit planes, dose anybody
know if he makes them?

I tried to plane a rabbit once, but by the time I got two sides flat there wasn't much
left and it took a lot of work. Next time I'll use a jig on the table saw, or a router
and a straightedge.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Bob N" wrote in message

I tried to plane a rabbit once, but by the time I got two sides flat there

wasn't much
left and it took a lot of work. Next time I'll use a jig on the table

saw, or a router
and a straightedge.

Either way, it would be good in a stew even if it is not completely flat. .

charlie b

Chris Melanson wrote:

Since when did this become a commercial advertisement forum ? You do not
see the many shop owners in this forum whoreing there products here do you?
Please take out an ad in a newspaper or trade publication not here.

Chris

Steve makes hand made woodworking tools, and good ones at that.
He, unlike many here, has been blessed to find a vocation that
is also his avocation. He'll never get rich (in dollars at least)
making planes. But he gets by (most of the time : )) and his planes
keep getting better and better. His planes are appreciated by those
who have them and lusted after by some who don't.

I don't know when he finds the time to participate and contribute
to this group but I'm grateful that he does. He's shared a lot of
what he's learned about sharpening methods and machines. So if
he occassionaly offers folks in this forum a deal on some of his
planes it's a Win-Win situation - he sells some planes, we save
some money. For me it's a double bomus - get a great tool at
a good price AND I get to support the arts : )

By shop owners I assume you mean cabinet and furniture shops.
Since this is a woodworking forum I'm guessing that most folks
are here to either learn how to make their own furniture or
share what they've learned about making same. So someone
advertising their cabinets and furniture would be "taking coal
to Newcastle" - probably not a profitable avenue to pursue.
Borg types don't make anything they sell so if they were to
advertise in this group it'd be ignored (as far as I know, there
is no "Thou SHALT read ALL messages posted to this forum"
"edict".)

Thanks for the opportunity to "plug" Steve's stuff!

charlie b
a patron of the arts
Steve Knight

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 20:46:04 -0700, Layne wrote:

I agree with David. Steve Knight contributes a lot of info to this
forum and I don't mind this kind of post once in a while. In fact,
Steve hardly does this and this is the first time I've ever seen him
post an ad. Steve isn't HD or Lowe's. He's a one man operation.

not as much as I used too. I have become so specialized I don't have as much to
offer. I sure miss that. or everyone beats me too it (G)

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

igor

wrote:

Since when did this become a commercial advertisement forum ? You do not
see the many shop owners in this forum whoreing there products here do you?
Please take out an ad in a newspaper or trade publication not here.

Chris

FWIW, I agree with your general concern about commercial postings here, but
IMO if the subject line starts with "FS", I think almost anything is OK. -
Igor
Norman D. Crow

wrote:

Since when did this become a commercial advertisement forum ? You do

not
see the many shop owners in this forum whoreing there products here do

you?
Please take out an ad in a newspaper or trade publication not here.

Chris

It has long been a rec.ww convention that such advertising by folks who
also contribute to the group is a reasonable and acceptable practice.

Mike
at American Sycamore, Steve Knight, Ed Bennett and his TS Aligner, and
Robin Lee to name a few - - -

snip

Don't forget Owen Lowe & his Fly By Night Copper Co.

--
Nahmie

---

jo4hn

just need to jump in some time and buy a couple...

-Mike

tool porn.

Jay Pique

wrote:

Since when did this become a commercial advertisement forum ? You do not
see the many shop owners in this forum whoreing there products here do you?
Please take out an ad in a newspaper or trade publication not here.

Chris

FWIW, I agree with your general concern about commercial postings here, but
IMO if the subject line starts with "FS", I think almost anything is OK. -

I agree with the above.

JP
Leon

Stick around for a while and you will find that Steve contributes more than
he takes.

Dave Hinz

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 03:24:57 GMT, Chris Melanson wrote:
Since when did this become a commercial advertisement forum ? You do not
see the many shop owners in this forum whoreing there products here do you?
Please take out an ad in a newspaper or trade publication not here.

As rabid as I am about being anti-spam, his contributions vastly
outweigh his very occasional ads. The ones I take exception to are
the ones who pop in, post a "Hey, buy my crap" message, and use the
group only for that.

I was here a while before I realized that this guy, in addition to
knowing a lot about what he does, also sells stuff.

Dave Hinz

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 16:41:25 GMT, Bob N wrote:

I tried to plane a rabbit once, but by the time I got two sides flat there wasn't much
left and it took a lot of work. Next time I'll use a jig on the table saw,

Naah, that doesn't work either, they get all squirrely on you.
Dave Hinz

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 05:19:54 GMT, Chris Melanson wrote:
Please re read my last post and try and understand my point.
I asked " How would you like that if the Borg started advertising there
sales here?" not that they were going to so there is no rambling at all.

Why bring it up then, Chris?

I stated that to me there is no difference between the two forms of
advertisement. Self promoting is still self promoting no mater who dose it.

There is a great deal of difference between "Hi, you don't know me,
buy my crap", and a regular, helpful individual telling a group he
actively helps that a product they're interested in is available.

And that it is bad edict.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

What part did you not understand? Let me know so I can be perfectly clear.

The thing that's unclear, is your understanding of this group's
tolerance for this type of post, I think. I'll make it simple:

For sale ad from non-contributor: unwelcome
For sale ad from participating, helpful, knowledgeable member of group: OK

Better now?
Dave Hinz

Andy Dingley

wrote:

Since when did this become a commercial advertisement forum ?

Since people posted ads to it, ads that were relevant and
_interesting_ to the other readers of the n.g.

I don't much hold with the "paid his dues" argument. Either the ads
are worth looking at, or they're not. If someone just wants to plug
yet another eBay drop-shipper, I don't care if it's Charlie Self
posting them - that's the same boring stuff I'm already knee-deep in.

For Steve's planes though, I'm always happy to read of them, even
though there's no likelihood of me buying another any time soon.
They're interesting tools and they even count as high-end woodworking
in their own right.

If Delta / Ferm / Chiwanese box-shifter do something genuinely _new_
and worth reading, then I wish they'd post that too - even though it's
"commercial". I don't care who is doing this, or why they're doing it,
I just care what the end result is and whether it's worth my time to
see it. After all, even Viagra was a news story once - now it's just a
blockage in my inbox.

And I know I'm not the only one who reads the Lee Valley catalogue in
bed.

Mike Patterson

Dave Hinz wrote:
SNIP

And that it is bad edict.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Inconceiveable!

SNIP

Better now?
Dave Hinz

Jay Pique

Andy Dingley wrote:

And I know I'm not the only one who reads the Lee Valley catalogue in
bed.

LOL. Over and over and over. It must be some sort of sickness!

BTW - The Dick tools catalogue out of Germany is awfully nice too.

JP