AArDvarK

Default FS 30% off summer sale lots of cool planes and new tools to see.

And that it is bad edict.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

http://www.m-w.com/

Main Entry: edict
Pronunciation: 'E-"dikt
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin edictum, from neuter of edictus,
past participle of edicere to decree, from e- + dicere to say -- more at
DICTION
1 : a proclamation having the force of law
2 : ORDER, COMMAND we held firm to Grandmother's edict -- M. F. K.
Fisher
- edic·tal /i-'dik-t&l/ adjective

Alex
P.S. we need to get a rope for Chris pretty soon...
can anyone make hangman's noose here?

Main Entry: noose
Pronunciation: 'nüs, British also 'nüz
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English nose, perhaps of Provençal origin;
akin to Provençal nous knot, from Latin nodus -- more at NODE
1 : a loop with a running knot that binds closer the more it is drawn
2 : something that snares like a noose

Todd Fatheree

"Mike Patterson" wrote in message

Dave Hinz wrote:
SNIP

And that it is bad edict.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it

means.

Inconceiveable!

Damnit, Mike, you beat me to the punch!.

todd

Mark & Juanita

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 13:39:15 -0400, "Norman D. Crow"
wrote:

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 00:06:51 -0400, Mike Patterson
wrote:

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 03:24:57 GMT, "Chris Melanson"
wrote:

Since when did this become a commercial advertisement forum ? You do

not
see the many shop owners in this forum whoreing there products here do

you?
Please take out an ad in a newspaper or trade publication not here.

Chris

It has long been a rec.ww convention that such advertising by folks who
also contribute to the group is a reasonable and acceptable practice.

Mike
at American Sycamore, Steve Knight, Ed Bennett and his TS Aligner, and
Robin Lee to name a few - - -

snip

Don't forget Owen Lowe & his Fly By Night Copper Co.

mea culpa. I'm sure there are others I have missed as well -- no slight
was intended, those were the ones that popped to mind in the 30 seconds I
spent thinking about it.
Layne

LOLOLOL!!! Princess Bride is one of my favorite films! Good one....
:-)

Layne

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 19:04:24 -0400, Mike Patterson
wrote:

Dave Hinz wrote:
SNIP

And that it is bad edict.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Inconceiveable!

SNIP

Better now?
Dave Hinz

Layne

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 04:32:30 GMT, "Chris Melanson"
wrote:

snip
It should not mater if someone is a "member" of a group in order to
advertise on it. It is bad edict. This is a forum for questions and answers

snip

Hey Steve,

I could use a nice handmade plane know where I might get one? If
they're on sale that would be a plus! :-)

Layne
Layne

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 17:01:26 GMT, Steve Knight
wrote:

not as much as I used too. I have become so specialized I don't have as much to
offer. I sure miss that. or everyone beats me too it (G)

I went to the site last night....still no infill planes??? :-( There's
got to be a good machinist around there somewhere....not that I can
afford that Japanese style infill yet, but it's nice knowing I could
get one if I had the money right now... :-) But, I may finally be able
to get a dovetail plane next month. :-)

Layne
Dave Mundt

Greetings and Salutations...

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 05:19:54 GMT, "Chris Melanson"
wrote:

Please re read my last post and try and understand my point.
I asked " How would you like that if the Borg started advertising there
sales here?" not that they were going to so there is no rambling at all.
I stated that to me there is no difference between the two forms of
advertisement. Self promoting is still self promoting no mater who dose it.
And that it is bad edict.
What part did you not understand? Let me know so I can be perfectly clear.

Chris

Looks like the long, hot summer is getting to EVERYONE.
WIthout jumping too far into the flame war...I glanced at the
ad, and, my first thought was "great...still can't afford them (heavy
sigh)". My first thought was NOT "How DARE he post a small notice
about fine woodworking tools to a forum devoted to working wood!"
Let's all take a chill pill, kick back with a tall, cool
drink, and just move on. The posting was small, within the guidelines
of commercial postings, and as others have pointed out, Knight has
been a good contributor to the group for a long time. I for one
have enjoyed hearing of his success in a niche field...and do think
he makes some really great tools, tools that combine utility and
beauty.
Regards
Dave Mundt

Jay Pique

On 29 Jul 2004 22:07:22 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 05:19:54 GMT, Chris Melanson wrote:
Please re read my last post and try and understand my point.
I asked " How would you like that if the Borg started advertising there
sales here?" not that they were going to so there is no rambling at all.

Why bring it up then, Chris?

It's spam. I personally don't care, but it is spam. Why don't you
give the guy a break. Lord knows you of all people should be a little
compassionate.

I stated that to me there is no difference between the two forms of
advertisement. Self promoting is still self promoting no mater who dose it.

There is a great deal of difference between "Hi, you don't know me,
buy my crap", and a regular, helpful individual telling a group he
actively helps that a product they're interested in is available.

What's the accepted helpful post to spam ratio by which we should rate
people?

And that it is bad edict.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

No points - already been brought up.

What part did you not understand? Let me know so I can be perfectly clear.

The thing that's unclear, is your understanding of this group's
tolerance for this type of post, I think. I'll make it simple:

For sale ad from non-contributor: unwelcome

Spam.

For sale ad from participating, helpful, knowledgeable member of group: OK

Spam.

Better now?

Are you? The rules are there are no rules. Maybe we should all shun
him now?

JP
*************
Add me to the list.
J. Clarke

wrote:
Please re read my last post and try and understand my point.
I asked " How would you like that if the Borg started advertising there
sales here?" not that they were going to so there is no rambling at all.

Why bring it up then, Chris?

It's spam. I personally don't care, but it is spam. Why don't you
give the guy a break. Lord knows you of all people should be a little
compassionate.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

See, for example http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/spam-faq/,
http://www.cypango.net/spam/others/thresholds.html,
ftp://ftp.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/advertising/how-to/part1.

The commercial content is not the defining feature of spam. It is the
excessive replication.

I stated that to me there is no difference between the two forms of
advertisement. Self promoting is still self promoting no mater who dose
it.

There is a great deal of difference between "Hi, you don't know me,
buy my crap", and a regular, helpful individual telling a group he
actively helps that a product they're interested in is available.

What's the accepted helpful post to spam ratio by which we should rate
people?

Why don't you do some research and find out the threshold.

And that it is bad edict.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it
means.

No points - already been brought up.

You seem to have a penchant for using words that do not mean what you think
they mean.

What part did you not understand? Let me know so I can be perfectly
clear.

The thing that's unclear, is your understanding of this group's
tolerance for this type of post, I think. I'll make it simple:

For sale ad from non-contributor: unwelcome

Spam.

If posted once and on topic, not spam. Offensive and unwelcome, but not
spam.

For sale ad from participating, helpful, knowledgeable member of group: OK

Spam.

If on topic not spam. Possibly offensive if repeated to excess, but not
spam.

Better now?

Are you? The rules are there are no rules. Maybe we should all shun
him now?

Well, since there is no mechanism of enforcement you are right, there are no
rules. Welcome to USENET.

JP
*************
Add me to the list.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 07:21:26 -0400, Jay Pique
wrote about Steve Knight's post:

It's spam.

no, it isnt.

http://www.netlingo.com/lookup.cfm?term=spam
Dave Hinz

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 07:21:26 -0400, Jay Pique wrote:
On 29 Jul 2004 22:07:22 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

Why bring it up then, Chris?

It's spam. I personally don't care, but it is spam. Why don't you
give the guy a break. Lord knows you of all people should be a little
compassionate.

Me of all people? Where are you going with _that_, Jay? Might this
have something to do with the email filtering service that I subscribe to?

There is a great deal of difference between "Hi, you don't know me,
buy my crap", and a regular, helpful individual telling a group he
actively helps that a product they're interested in is available.

What's the accepted helpful post to spam ratio by which we should rate
people?

Apparently, Mr. Knight's ratio is beyond that, by the looks of the group.
Someone's analysis showed his ratio is 50:1 or 500:1 or something. Not
a lot of people are 50 parts signal to 1 part noise.

And that it is bad edict.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

No points - already been brought up.

It's a humerous reference to a line used in a movie, inserted to keep
things to get too heavy.

For sale ad from non-contributor: unwelcome

Spam.

Right.

For sale ad from participating, helpful, knowledgeable member of group: OK

Spam.

Apparently your personal opinion is counter to the group concensus here.

Better now?

Are you? The rules are there are no rules. Maybe we should all shun
him now?

Which "him"? You can killfile anyone you want, that's the beauty of
a well-written newsreading app.

By the way, have you read the rec.woodworking charter, specifically
how advertisements are handled in that document?

Dave Hinz

Jay Pique

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 09:24:00 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

Jay Pique wrote:

It's spam. I personally don't care, but it is spam. Why don't you
give the guy a break. Lord knows you of all people should be a little
compassionate.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

See, for example http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/spam-faq/,
http://www.cypango.net/spam/others/thresholds.html,
ftp://ftp.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/advertising/how-to/part1.

The commercial content is not the defining feature of spam. It is the
excessive replication.

You're using the wrong sources - use mine -
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=spam

I stated that to me there is no difference between the two forms of
advertisement. Self promoting is still self promoting no mater who dose
it.

There is a great deal of difference between "Hi, you don't know me,
buy my crap", and a regular, helpful individual telling a group he
actively helps that a product they're interested in is available.

What's the accepted helpful post to spam ratio by which we should rate
people?

Why don't you do some research and find out the threshold.

Excuse me? Go have a beer or something.

And that it is bad edict.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it
means.

No points - already been brought up.

You seem to have a penchant for using words that do not mean what you think
they mean.

Moi? What word other than "spam" are you talking about? Go argue
semantics with someone else there champ. Nice use of "penchant"
though.

What part did you not understand? Let me know so I can be perfectly
clear.

The thing that's unclear, is your understanding of this group's
tolerance for this type of post, I think. I'll make it simple:

For sale ad from non-contributor: unwelcome

Spam.

If posted once and on topic, not spam. Offensive and unwelcome, but not
spam.

To whom? What are you arguing? I wasn't even talking to you in the
first place, and I wasn't condemning Steve for posting about his
planes.

For sale ad from participating, helpful, knowledgeable member of group: OK

Spam.

If on topic not spam. Possibly offensive if repeated to excess, but not
spam.

Better now?

Are you? The rules are there are no rules. Maybe we should all shun
him now?

Well, since there is no mechanism of enforcement you are right, there are no
rules. Welcome to USENET.

Been here, done that. Why don't you give me your usenet pedigree now
and we can all be impressed.

JP

Jay Pique

On 30 Jul 2004 15:40:05 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 07:21:26 -0400, Jay Pique wrote:
On 29 Jul 2004 22:07:22 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

Why bring it up then, Chris?

It's spam. I personally don't care, but it is spam. Why don't you
give the guy a break. Lord knows you of all people should be a little
compassionate.

Me of all people? Where are you going with _that_, Jay? Might this
have something to do with the email filtering service that I subscribe to?

No - has nothing to do with spamcop. I just figured since you catch a
lot of heat here that you might not feel the need to pile on others.

There is a great deal of difference between "Hi, you don't know me,
buy my crap", and a regular, helpful individual telling a group he
actively helps that a product they're interested in is available.

What's the accepted helpful post to spam ratio by which we should rate
people?

Apparently, Mr. Knight's ratio is beyond that, by the looks of the group.
Someone's analysis showed his ratio is 50:1 or 500:1 or something. Not
a lot of people are 50 parts signal to 1 part noise.

And that it is bad edict.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

No points - already been brought up.

It's a humerous reference to a line used in a movie, inserted to keep
things to get too heavy.

You've got an interesting sense of balance.

JP

Dave Hinz

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 12:16:15 -0400, Jay Pique wrote:
On 30 Jul 2004 15:40:05 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

Me of all people? Where are you going with _that_, Jay? Might this
have something to do with the email filtering service that I subscribe to?

No - has nothing to do with spamcop. I just figured since you catch a
lot of heat here that you might not feel the need to pile on others.

I don't notice myself getting a particular amount of heat, oddly enough.
But even if I do/did, why should that make me not want to express my
opinion?

It's a humerous reference to a line used in a movie, inserted to keep
things to get too heavy.

You've got an interesting sense of balance.

If you don't care for my posts, there's an easy solution.

Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Mike Patterson wrote:

Dave Hinz wrote:
SNIP

And that it is bad edict.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Inconceiveable!

Not to mention 'unbearable', and 'insurmountable'.
Jay Pique

On 30 Jul 2004 16:22:53 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 12:16:15 -0400, Jay Pique wrote:
On 30 Jul 2004 15:40:05 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

Me of all people? Where are you going with _that_, Jay? Might this
have something to do with the email filtering service that I subscribe to?

No - has nothing to do with spamcop. I just figured since you catch a
lot of heat here that you might not feel the need to pile on others.

I don't notice myself getting a particular amount of heat, oddly enough.
But even if I do/did, why should that make me not want to express my
opinion?

And mine as well. You're a weird dude. Enjoy your life.

It's a humerous reference to a line used in a movie, inserted to keep
things to get too heavy.

You've got an interesting sense of balance.

If you don't care for my posts, there's an easy solution.

Indeed. It's almost as if you relish the idea. How's that job in
Norway coming along for me?

JP
Dave Hinz

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 15:03:45 -0400, Jay Pique wrote:
On 30 Jul 2004 16:22:53 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

I don't notice myself getting a particular amount of heat, oddly enough.
But even if I do/did, why should that make me not want to express my
opinion?

And mine as well. You're a weird dude. Enjoy your life.

Um, right.

It's a humerous reference to a line used in a movie, inserted to keep
things to get too heavy.

You've got an interesting sense of balance.

If you don't care for my posts, there's an easy solution.

Indeed. It's almost as if you relish the idea. How's that job in
Norway coming along for me?

The person I forwarded your message to expressed concern about
your name apparently changing. I'm guessing from your question that
he chose not to contact you, although I have noticed that it's not
unusual for Norwegians to have a much more casual attitude about
speedy responses. I don't feel that it's appropriate to rush him,
so I won't be.

Charlie Self

Robert Bonomi notes:

And that it is bad edict.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it

means.

Inconceiveable!

Not to mention 'unbearable', and 'insurmountable'.

Or, as something I just read, stated: It is not relative to the discussion.

Charlie Self
"Did you know that the White House drug test is multiple choice?" Rush Limbaugh

Jay Pique

On 30 Jul 2004 20:16:34 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 15:03:45 -0400, Jay Pique wrote:
On 30 Jul 2004 16:22:53 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

I don't notice myself getting a particular amount of heat, oddly enough.
But even if I do/did, why should that make me not want to express my
opinion?

And mine as well. You're a weird dude. Enjoy your life.

Um, right.

Um, yeah. Have you considered that you don't get a lot of heat
anymore because a large portion of the regulars here find you annoying
enough to completely ignore you?

It's a humerous reference to a line used in a movie, inserted to keep
things to get too heavy.

You've got an interesting sense of balance.

If you don't care for my posts, there's an easy solution.

Indeed. It's almost as if you relish the idea. How's that job in
Norway coming along for me?

The person I forwarded your message to expressed concern about
your name apparently changing. I'm guessing from your question that
he chose not to contact you, although I have noticed that it's not
unusual for Norwegians to have a much more casual attitude about
speedy responses. I don't feel that it's appropriate to rush him,
so I won't be.

Sweet. I'm holding my breath. Name never changed, I just revealed to
you that I use a nym for usenet purposes to avoid the wrath of kooks.
Your alter ego on rec.skiing.alpine created an environment where that
was advisable. (BTW, Jay Pique = Jay Peak)

JP
**************
I had an imaginary friend once too.
Steve Knight

I went to the site last night....still no infill planes??? :-( There's
got to be a good machinist around there somewhere....not that I can
afford that Japanese style infill yet, but it's nice knowing I could
get one if I had the money right now... :-) But, I may finally be able
to get a dovetail plane next month. :-)

the problems are several. first I don't have a full working set of plans. and I
wanted to change the design anyway. second is most machinists want to make a lot
of them at once and I can't afford it.
now with the Japanese irons a couple of coffin smoothers with Japanese blades
and extra weight will handle a larger range of woods and cost less.
but they don't have that cool infill thing though I have to admit.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Dave Hinz

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 17:37:55 -0400, Jay Pique wrote:
On 30 Jul 2004 20:16:34 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

Um, right.

Um, yeah. Have you considered that you don't get a lot of heat
anymore because a large portion of the regulars here find you annoying
enough to completely ignore you?

I have never received any feedback to indicate such.

The person I forwarded your message to expressed concern about
your name apparently changing. I'm guessing from your question that
he chose not to contact you, although I have noticed that it's not
unusual for Norwegians to have a much more casual attitude about
speedy responses. I don't feel that it's appropriate to rush him,
so I won't be.

Sweet. I'm holding my breath.

I wouldn't, but that's up to you.

Name never changed, I just revealed to
you that I use a nym for usenet purposes to avoid the wrath of kooks.

Oh, I understand, but he seemed not to. Not my decision to make, y'seee.

Your alter ego on rec.skiing.alpine created an environment where that

was advisable. (BTW, Jay Pique = Jay Peak)

Ah, so you DO have me confused with someone else. I don't ski, I
don't recall having encountered you before, and I don't know what or
who a "Jay Peak" is supposed to represent. If someone is posting as me
over there, I'd be interested in seeing some headers; my email address,
as you know, does work. To the best of my knowledge, if I have ever
posted on rec.skiing.alpine, it was as an un-noticed crosspost.

JP
**************
I had an imaginary friend once too.

Jay Pique

On 31 Jul 2004 19:27:06 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 17:37:55 -0400, Jay Pique wrote:
On 30 Jul 2004 20:16:34 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

Um, right.

Um, yeah. Have you considered that you don't get a lot of heat
anymore because a large portion of the regulars here find you annoying
enough to completely ignore you?

I have never received any feedback to indicate such.

Jesus H. Dave, are you really that deluded? Up until now this was
just a little flame-fest to probe the depth of
your...uhhh...uniqueness, but good god man you REALLY need to pull
your head out of your ass.

The person I forwarded your message to expressed concern about
your name apparently changing. I'm guessing from your question that
he chose not to contact you, although I have noticed that it's not
unusual for Norwegians to have a much more casual attitude about
speedy responses. I don't feel that it's appropriate to rush him,
so I won't be.

Sweet. I'm holding my breath.

I wouldn't, but that's up to you.

Name never changed, I just revealed to
you that I use a nym for usenet purposes to avoid the wrath of kooks.

Oh, I understand, but he seemed not to. Not my decision to make, y'seee.

Come on Dave, admit it - there really isn't any Norwegian friend, is
there?

Your alter ego on rec.skiing.alpine created an environment where that

was advisable. (BTW, Jay Pique = Jay Peak)

Ah, so you DO have me confused with someone else.

No, I'm just comparing you to an individual that posts over there. I
don't think you're *actually* him.

Make this next post a real doozie Dave - a real zinger - because
you've just about bored me to the point where I'm not likely to
respond.

JP
******************
It's all been done before.
Dave Hinz

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 18:38:32 -0400, Jay Pique wrote:
On 31 Jul 2004 19:27:06 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

Oh, I understand, but he seemed not to. Not my decision to make, y'seee.

Come on Dave, admit it - there really isn't any Norwegian friend, is
there?

About a dozen of 'em, but the one specific person I mean, yeah, him too.

Ah, so you DO have me confused with someone else.

No, I'm just comparing you to an individual that posts over there. I
don't think you're *actually* him.

I'm sure that this is intended to be an insult of some sort, but y'see
those only are effective when the target has the first clue (or cares)
what the hell you're talking about.

Make this next post a real doozie Dave - a real zinger - because
you've just about bored me to the point where I'm not likely to
respond.

I'm afraid you're going to have to find someone else's time to waste.
plonk

Jay Pique

Dave Hinz wrote:

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 18:38:32 -0400, Jay Pique wrote:
On 31 Jul 2004 19:27:06 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

Oh, I understand, but he seemed not to. Not my decision to make, y'seee.

Come on Dave, admit it - there really isn't any Norwegian friend, is
there?

About a dozen of 'em, but the one specific person I mean, yeah, him too.

Oh man - you mean you have a veritable gang of friends in Norway and
you only were going to recommend a virtual stranger from internet to
ONE of them? Now I don't feel so bad about not being nice to you.

JP
**********
Wheeeee!

Ah, so you DO have me confused with someone else.

No, I'm just comparing you to an individual that posts over there. I
don't think you're *actually* him.

I'm sure that this is intended to be an insult of some sort, but y'see
those only are effective when the target has the first clue (or cares)
what the hell you're talking about.

Make this next post a real doozie Dave - a real zinger - because
you've just about bored me to the point where I'm not likely to
respond.

I'm afraid you're going to have to find someone else's time to waste.
plonk

Jay Pique

Dave Hinz wrote:

[...]

No no - that doesn't count. I snubbed you first.

JP
Posting with abandon.