igor

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 18:37:10 -0800, "AAvK" wrote:

Thanks. And, I s'pose I agree. But one initial bit of info I need(ed) is
why a low angle block plane versus a smoother versus a whatever? (For that
matter, viaduct?) Many people post here asking, "What kind of X tool
should I buy?" w/o saying what they want to do. While my original post
included lots of requirements for a book/video, frankly I could start with
a good link to an article on planes -- types & functions. As you state, I
do expect that the real learnin' will start with tool in hand, as Onan
discovered. -- Igor

You want to know what planes you would buy for whichever purpose??? Then
get that handplane book or ask that question directly as is.

BTW...incorrect on the "Onan thing" ha ha ha ... he disobayed God and "pulled out"
instead of getting her pregnant. Look it up.

Well, according to that great historian, The 2000 Year Old Man, Onan was
the greatest inventor of all time. He discovered himself. (Then again,
TTTYOM said that the greatest invention of all time is liquid Prell. Why?
Compared to the heart-lung machine? Because, if a heart-lung machine is in
your medicine cabinet and it falls out, it will break. (Take a beat.) But
not liquid Prell!)

See also:
Some Thoughts on the Science of Onanism
A speech delivered to the Stomach Club, a society of American writers and
artists, Paris, 1879, by Mark Twain
http://www.ralphmag.org/onan.html

And, The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth
Edition. 2000. (They may have the order backwards.)
http://www.bartleby.com/61/48/O0074800.html

Or, for a more theologically based discussion (which sides with me), see
LIVING TRADITION, ORGAN OF THE ROMAN THEOLOGICAL FORUM. (Yes, "Organ".)
"But, as I hope to show, this [i.e., your] reading of Genesis has so little
to recommend it exegetically that one can only assume that its popularity
in recent decades is due mainly to the modern prejudices of theologians and
exegetes who see intrinsically sterile types of sexual activity as morally
unobjectionable in themselves (or even as necessary at times) - and who
therefore have a strong vested interest in minimizing whatever biblical
evidence there may be against these practices."
http://www.rtforum.org/lt/lt67.html

Clearly, you must be one of those darn exegetes. (Whatever that means.)

But seriously, thanks for laughing at the joke. And, I did not know about
the interruptus charge of the indictment, just that other thing, that Onan
preferred it in hand, not in bush. So, I learned sumtin today, for which I
thank you. -- Igor