Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
igor

Default plain info on planes - ISO

I am looking for some plain info on hand planes. A book and/or a DVD.

I do not want to make planes. I do not want to collect planes. I do not
want to admire their beauty. I do not want to bow down and worship planes.
I do not want to develop some psycho-sexual relationship with planes.
(Though, I must say, I have enjoyed some of the writings here of those who
seemingly have done that. Tool-porn prose, that you very much.)

I do not own any planes. The most I have ever done with a plane was, long
ago, with my Dad's guidance, plane down the top of a swollen door.

I have been drawn to the neander dark side by those of you who have come to
know and love your planes -- or, it not the planes themselves, then what
you can accomplish with them. And, after a trip to a recent woodworking
show, both to a scraper demo and the LV booth, I seem convinced to consider
manual labor in the shop.

I want simple info, simply presented. If I need to clean up a tenon, I
want to know what plane I should get/use (and maybe an alt. selection), how
it should be set, and how it should be moved to do what I need. I want to
know what size plane I should get of a given type -- the ups and downs of
larger or smaller. Extra points if the book/video tells me how to sharpen
my planes -- though Leonard Lee's book may be joining my library.

According to Amazon.com, FWW is coming out with a book on the subject
within the next week or so. I also found The Handplane Book by Garrett
Hack and John Sheldon, which was well reviewed. (As for a visit to my
local library, and I am a big supporter of public libraries, the pickin's
are slim to none, with none in the lead.)

Please suggest. TIA. -- Igor