Swingman

"igor" wrote in message
On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 14:28:14 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

"igor" wrote in message ...
I am looking for some plain info on hand planes. A book and/or a DVD.

While books can often shortcut the process ... it ain't gonna work in

this
case.

Simply spend the money (subtract the cost of the book) to buy a good "low
angle block plane", then use it once and you will instinctively know more
than all that book learning can ever impart.

Thanks. And, I s'pose I agree. But one initial bit of info I need(ed) is
why a low angle block plane versus a smoother versus a whatever? (For

that
matter, viaduct?) Many people post here asking, "What kind of X tool
should I buy?" w/o saying what they want to do. While my original post
included lots of requirements for a book/video, frankly I could start with
a good link to an article on planes -- types & functions. As you state, I
do expect that the real learnin' will start with tool in hand, as Onan
discovered. -- Igor

The low angle block plane, at least for me, has been an excellent ALL
purpose plane, easy to use and with many uses. In my limited experience with
planes of all types, I think it is a great first investment. I've used it
for many tasks, within reason, that you would use a specifically designed
plane for ... even to edge "jointing" smaller stock.

Now those more neander than I may have reservations and qualification based
on their experience ... but I am not long out of the same boat you find
yourself in as far a planes go and I am just giving you my singular judgment
in the matter.

I do have a number of planes ... if I were forced to rid myself of all but
one, that one would be the Veritas Low Angle Block Plane. My next plane
purchase will be a good "shoulder" plane for cleaning up of tenons

FWIW, YMMV, ITSFWI, et cetera ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04