AAvK

Well, according to that great historian, The 2000 Year Old Man, Onan was
the greatest inventor of all time. He discovered himself. (Then again,
TTTYOM said that the greatest invention of all time is liquid Prell. Why?
Compared to the heart-lung machine? Because, if a heart-lung machine is in
your medicine cabinet and it falls out, it will break. (Take a beat.) But
not liquid Prell!)

See also:
Some Thoughts on the Science of Onanism
A speech delivered to the Stomach Club, a society of American writers and
artists, Paris, 1879, by Mark Twain
http://www.ralphmag.org/onan.html

And, The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth
Edition. 2000. (They may have the order backwards.)
http://www.bartleby.com/61/48/O0074800.html

Or, for a more theologically based discussion (which sides with me), see
LIVING TRADITION, ORGAN OF THE ROMAN THEOLOGICAL FORUM. (Yes, "Organ".)
"But, as I hope to show, this [i.e., your] reading of Genesis has so little
to recommend it exegetically that one can only assume that its popularity
in recent decades is due mainly to the modern prejudices of theologians and
exegetes who see intrinsically sterile types of sexual activity as morally
unobjectionable in themselves (or even as necessary at times) - and who
therefore have a strong vested interest in minimizing whatever biblical
evidence there may be against these practices."
http://www.rtforum.org/lt/lt67.html

Clearly, you must be one of those darn exegetes. (Whatever that means.)

But seriously, thanks for laughing at the joke. And, I did not know about
the interruptus charge of the indictment, just that other thing, that Onan
preferred it in hand, not in bush. So, I learned sumtin today, for which I
thank you. -- Igor

Uh-huh...hhmmm...look... none of the speculation that people come up with in
any field can possibly change these two verses,

New American Standard Bible:

Genesis 38:8
Then Judah said to Onan, "Go in to your brother's wife, and perform
your duty as a brother-in-law to her, and raise up offspring for your
brother."

Genesis 38:9
Onan knew that the offspring would not be his; so when he went in to
his brother's wife, he wasted his seed on the ground in order not to give
offspring to his brother.

As I originally meant to say...he didn't ********** such as too many non readers
do speculate. Nothing else works if it isn't there, only that which is there can work.

"Exegetes"? Exegetesis Exegetesist... http://www.hyperdictionary.com/

2nd Timothy 2:15
Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to
be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth.

And thank you! I am glad I learned that word. It is not my site but try that link down
below. You seem to have something of an interest, it has many translations, comm-
entaries, dictionaries, and a search engine. Also maps and great art and charts, 97%
for free.

--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com