GregP

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 08:32:16 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

I've never used the cables in the studio because of the price/performance
ratio, and I don't know anyone who does for very long, at least anyone who
has been in the studio business longer than the 2 years the average
"recording studio" stays in business.

IME, they are a consumer item whose connectors don't last with rugged use.

I have a set with the "magnifying glass" covering. They
turned green over time.
Wes Stewart

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 10:47:28 -0500, GregP
wrote:

|On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 08:32:16 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:
|

|I've never used the cables in the studio because of the price/performance
|ratio, and I don't know anyone who does for very long, at least anyone who
|has been in the studio business longer than the 2 years the average
|"recording studio" stays in business.

|IME, they are a consumer item whose connectors don't last with rugged use.
|

| I have a set with the "magnifying glass" covering. They
| turned green over time.

I guess that copper wasn't so "oxygen-free" after all [g].

I've been messin' with radios since 1957 and spent 33+ years as an
aerospace engineer and never knew until I read Monster Cable's web
site that bass frequencies had more mass than higher audio frequencies
and traveled at a low rate in a copper wire.

Damn, you learn sumpthin' new every day.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Wes Stewart" wrote in message

|More that likely either the tests were faulty of the reviewers had tin
ears.
|Probably a combination of both.

Oh sure.

http://www.national.com/rap/Story/0,1562,3,00.html

I don't know. Think about this. You listen to music on your $6000 stereo
and it sounds good. When you call a store and are put on "hold", that same
music does not sound so good over the telephone. Why? Think about all those
spices and connections on the phone wires. That must be the difference. If
the phone company used straight runs of Monster Cable, we'd get the same
good sound.

mark

I don't know. Think about this. You listen to music on your $6000 stereo
and it sounds good. When you call a store and are put on "hold", that
same music does not sound so good over the telephone. Why? Think about
all those spices and connections on the phone wires. That must be the
difference. If the phone company used straight runs of Monster Cable,
we'd get the same good sound.

I guy I worked for once was a serious audiophile. He had a stereo setup that
cost $150,000. He didn't use monster cable, but his speaker cable was
easily an inch in diameter. Based on the amount of power he was pushing
thru it, I guess it made a difference. I don't claim to have golden ears,
but I scoffed at him for spending over 600 bucks on a 12" carbon fiber patch
cable of some sort that went between his amp and his preamp. He proceeded
to swap the new one and his old one in and out while I had my eyes closed.
Believe it or not, I could actually hear the difference. I doubt if I would
have even noticed the difference after about 2 minutes of keeping one or the
other in place, but there was a definite change in the dynamics of the
sound. I wouldn't have believed it if he didn't show me. I guess at the
level where your stereo costs more than most people's houses, a cable can
actually make a difference. He didn't use monster cable though.....

Swingman

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

I don't know. Think about this. You listen to music on your $6000 stereo
and it sounds good. When you call a store and are put on "hold", that

same
music does not sound so good over the telephone. Why? Think about all

those
spices and connections on the phone wires. That must be the difference.

If
the phone company used straight runs of Monster Cable, we'd get the same
good sound.

LOL!!

Now, we wait and see how many will think you are serious.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Swingman

"mark" wrote in message

other in place, but there was a definite change in the dynamics of the
sound.

First, define the phrase "dynamics of the sound".

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Brian

I was using cheap RCA cables WAY
back with success and see no reason to switch.

Well, there are legitimate reasons to use quality cables for audio and
video, just no legitimate reason to charge what Monster Cable and
similar companies charge. Radio Shack cables are junk and *do* degrade
your sound/picture, but interconects at an equal or similar quality
level to Monster, et al., are readily available for half the price or
less.
Brian

I hope monster cable wins . they are only doing what any business does to
protect it very valuable name.Others that use similar names should expect to
looked also. Copy right laws exist for a purpose. but do not worry about
this small company (he's fine), he has done it for the free publicity for
his business.

I think you're out of your mind. How does "Monsters Inc." or "Monster
Garage" in any way confuse you as to their relation (or lack thereof,
which is the reality of the situation) to Monster Cable?

"Monster" is a general-purpose word in the English language that far
predates Monster Cable; so I guess in your eyes Apple Computer has a
right to trademark the word "apple" and then sue or extort the pants
off of every apple farmer or supplier in the land?

And what makes you think that any of these people were even thinking
about Monster Cable when they named their businesses? What evidence
supports that claim?
Brian

Companies like Monster Cable depend on people's
ignorance
for their continued success.

or, to put it another way, Monster Cable is to cabling as Bose is to
speakers.
8^)
Brian

(unfortunately, i couldn't read the original story,
the link was broken, or taken down or something...)

It's still there, but here's the text:

The Denver Post
http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,...611825,00.html

Monsters battle it out
A California firm has tried to keep scores of U.S. companies from using
the word "monster." Now a Durango entrepreneur has launched a
pre-emptive strike.
By Jason Blevins
Denver Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, December 22, 2004 -

Monster Cable, a company that makes high-performance audio and visual
cables, is at war.

The Brisbane, Calif.-based company has filed trademark lawsuits across
the country against companies using the word "monster." Discovery
Channel has felt Monster's wrath for its show "Monster Garage." Bally
Gaming is under Monster's glare because of its Monster slot machine.
Monster sued Walt Disney Co., maker of the animated flick "Monsters,
Inc." Even the Chicago Bears, a.k.a. "The Monsters of the Midway," once
were eyed by Monster.

But Jack Turner is taking the offensive. The Durango businessman, who
six years ago started a video company called Snow Monsters, aiming to
get kids on skis, said Monster Cable has filed formal opposition to his
2-year-old trademark application. So he's suing Monster Cable.

"I run the most clean-cut business in the country," said Turner, whose
videos feature costumed skiers such as Powder Pig and Snow Snake
teaching kids how to be safe and have fun on the ski hill.

"I mean, why don't you go beat up on the March of Dimes?"

Assuming he will one day be sued by Monster Cable, Turner is asking a
Colorado district court judge to rule that Snow Monsters does not
infringe on Monster Cable's trademark. It's a pre-emptive move to foil
what could be years of legal wrangling that would break Turner's bank.

Monster Cable, which makes cables and wires for home, car and computer
audio and video equipment, has filed more than 250 oppositions to
trademark applications with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. Most
of the filings were simply requests for additional time so Monster
Cable attorneys could study various trademark applications. Others were
formal oppositions. Some ended in lawsuits.

Monster Cable sued Monster.com, the online résumé site. It sued Disney
and Discovery Channel. In all three suits, Monster reached a
confidential settlement. The company's general counsel, David Tognotti,
said the company is now involved in "great partnerships" with all three
companies.

Monster got its first trademark in 1978. It now has more than 300 marks
in categories from computer and audio equipment to marine electronic
equipment to educational and training services.

Tognotti said Monster Cable is simply doing what many "premium" brand
companies do: protecting a hard-earned image.

"We have spent millions of dollars and countless hours trying to build
a quality premium brand in the marketplace, and there are individuals
trying to leverage off that for their own gain," said Tognotti, noting
that Turner's trademark applications are in categories in which Monster
Cable has business interests. "It would be harmful to us for him to
have a "monster" trademark in those classes. We have a duty to protect
our trademark."

Like Turner, Cathy West is weathering Monster's glare. Her tiny
MonsterVintage.com in Camas, Wash., sells vintage clothing including
striped bell-bottoms and 1970s-era Grateful Dead concert shirts over
the Net.

She thought someone was joking with her two years ago when she got a
licensing agreement package from Monster Cable suggesting that she pay
the wire-maker $1,000 a year and 1 percent of gross sales in exchange
for use of the word "monster."

She threw the packet out, thinking it was junk mail. Now she has an
attorney who estimates legal fees could reach $50,000 in a trademark
fight.

"We don't have the money to fight this," said West, who named the
company after her cat, Monster. "We tried to negotiate with them, but
let me tell you, these guys are not nice characters. It's just bizarre.

"All we are doing is turning old rags into a decent way to pay the
bills. I'd never even heard of Monster Cable before."

Turner said he is shouldering the load for the little guys, much as he
has done for the next generation of skiers with his videos. He is
asking visitors to his website, snowmonsters.com, to boycott Monster
Cable products. He calls his fight a battle against "corporate
bullies."

Earlier this year, he told Monster Cable attorneys he would never
dabble in the speaker- and stereo-wire business. The company countered
with its own idea for Turner's company: give up all rights to the word
'monster,' sign a licensing agreement and give Monster Cable the right
to approve or reject Turner's marketing plan.

So now Turner is paying $500 an hour to two law firms - one in Boulder
and one in New York. He thinks Monster, with a stable of lawyers on
staff, would happily wile away months in court. That's not an option
for him. He said a favorable ruling in his Denver lawsuit would
eliminate the potential of a protracted legal fight.

"They say they own the name 'monster,"' Turner said. "They are big.
They are mean. They play dirty. It's time for someone to stand up to
the bullies and say enough is enough."

Staff writer Jason Blevins can be reached at 303-820-1374 or
.

Scare tactics: Other companies Monster Cable has targeted

Disney

Settled a trademark- infringement suit over the animated movie

"Monsters, Inc."

Monster.com

The online résumé service settled; like Disney and Discovery Channel,
deal is confidential

MonsterVintage.com

The online seller of Grateful Dead and other concert T-shirts faces a
$50,000 battle.

Chicago Bears

Football's "Monsters of the Midway" were a potential target for a
Monster suit.

Swingman

"Brian" wrote in message

And what makes you think that any of these people were even thinking
about Monster Cable when they named their businesses? What evidence
supports that claim?

And more to the claim of MC, and reasons for trademarks ... how is their
advertising going to benefit Monster Anything else?

That, IMO, should be the VERY basis for this type of frivolous, make-work
for the legal profession.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Brian

Sooooooooooooo, let's see now. Has the death toll topped
the 150,000 mark yet? How many more will die from the after
affects/disease/malnutrition?

You white guys in the 'burbs with nothing else to do need to
rearrange your perspective a wee bit.

UA100, who really thinks the OP is Darwin Award class
material or just an idjit...

You know, **** you. I knew some moron was going to make this comment...
Just so you know I have donated more to the Red Cross tsunami relief
fund that you probably make in a month, assuming you have a job at all.

Just because a tragedy of unthinkable proportions is going on doesn't
mean the rest of the world stops, you know. It's exactly that kind of
one-track-mind thinking that's gotten this damn country into the sad
state that it's in.
Paul Kierstead

Brian wrote:
You know, **** you. I knew some moron was going to make this comment...
Just so you know I have donated more to the Red Cross tsunami relief
fund that you probably make in a month, assuming you have a job at all.

My, what a big dick you have.

keeps dick in pants, can't possibly measure up

PK
CW

Bingo!

"Leon" wrote in message
m...

Umm, they are large diameter transparent insulators with tiny wires

running
through them.

mark

"Swingman" wrote in message
"mark" wrote in message

other in place, but there was a definite change in the dynamics of the
sound.

First, define the phrase "dynamics of the sound".

Hard to explain. It sounded wider, more expanded. I'm no expert, my stereo
cost 500 bucks.

mark

"Paul Kierstead" wrote in message
Brian wrote:
You know, **** you. I knew some moron was going to make this comment...
Just so you know I have donated more to the Red Cross tsunami relief
fund that you probably make in a month, assuming you have a job at all.

My, what a big dick you have.

keeps dick in pants, can't possibly measure up

PK

He's got a point tho. (reminds me of one of my favorite howard stern bits
when he had milton berle (sp?) who was supposed to have a member of
legendary size. Milton wanted to have a contest, but Howard demurred,
saying he was really small, and that Milton would beat him easily. Milton's
reply was something along the lines of, "Come on! I'll only take out enough
to beat you."

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

mark wrote:
I don't know. Think about this. You listen to music on your $6000 stereo
and it sounds good. When you call a store and are put on "hold", that
same music does not sound so good over the telephone. Why? Think about
all those spices and connections on the phone wires. That must be the
difference. If the phone company used straight runs of Monster Cable,
we'd get the same good sound.

Perhaps the difference might be found in the typical length of stereo cables are
somewhere between 3 and 6 feet while the telephone company runs cables for
miles.

Just a thought....

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Brian wrote:
Companies like Monster Cable depend on people's
ignorance
for their continued success.

or, to put it another way, Monster Cable is to cabling as Bose is to
speakers.

Ouch. I've got four of them.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Swingman

"mark" wrote in message

"Swingman" wrote in message
"mark" wrote in message

other in place, but there was a definite change in the dynamics of the
sound.

First, define the phrase "dynamics of the sound".

Hard to explain. It sounded wider, more expanded. I'm no expert, my

stereo
cost 500 bucks.

LOL

Not trying to gig you ... but countless hours behind a recording console has
given me some experience in interpreting the sound "desires" of clients,
and, more to the point, the terminology they use to describe what they hear,
or want to hear.

It's when they mix actual technical terms, as you did, like "dynamic" (the
"dynamic" range of a recording is defined as the difference between the
softest and the loudest passage) with terms like "wider" and "expanded", is
when the fun begins.

"fat", "over-the-top", "warm", "open", "wide", "expanded", "dynamic" "edgy",
and even (more from females) "red", "green" and "blue", are just some of the
adjectives musicians use to convey what they hear/want to hear.

"Can you make that guitar a bit more/less warm, open and dynamic ... and can
you make if fatter and more edgy without being boomy?"

.... is one I've heard a lot.

Again, I am not trying to gig you in particular, just illustrating a point.

I personally won't spend the kind of money we're talking about based on that
type of subjective analysis ... which is generally all you get, even as a
basis of these type of claims from the manufacturer.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

mark

"Swingman" wrote in message

"mark" wrote in message

"Swingman" wrote in message
"mark" wrote in message

[...]

Oh I know the point!...I did graphic design for a living for about 5
years....It's like the client saying, "I like the idea, but can you make it
edgier and more hip, without it being brash?" or when the optometrist
fitting your glasses asks you "Is it sharper and smaller, or just darker and
farther away?"

Besides, I'm a drummer, I just hang out with the musicians.

Paul Kierstead

mark wrote:
He's got a point tho. (reminds me of one of my favorite howard stern bits
when he had milton berle (sp?) who was supposed to have a member of
legendary size.

He does, indeed. I snipped the second part of his message in the
interests of insult. UA irritated me somewhat with his message (I don't
think we should overlook the little things just because big things are
afoot) but the reply I find quite egregious. For some reason, "Brian"
too serious, apparently personal, insult which I do find a little
baffling. I was somewhat unfair as his other messages seem reasonable
and obviously his panties got in a serious knot for some reason over
this. Everyone has their buttons I guess.

PK
Swingman

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in message

Perhaps the difference might be found in the typical length of stereo

cables are
somewhere between 3 and 6 feet while the telephone company runs cables for
miles.

Just a thought....

Telephone equipment is designed to operate ONLY in a narrow band of the
frequency range of the human voice, and the frequency range of the human
voice is generally somewhere between 300Hz to 3500Hz.

Music can cover the entire frequency response of the human ear/hearing, from
roughly 20 Hz, to 21Khz in the very young.

IOW, much of the frequency range of the music is filtered (highs and lows)
out of the telephone line before it gets to your ears.

I still believe Edwin was just joking ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Nirodac Yar

The telephone system is purposely designed to limit bandwidth at a maximum
of 4 KHz, Good sound systems go upwards of 18KHz, human hearing generally
tops out at about 16KHz, if your lucky. You could use extra, super thick,
mega fat, gigantic monster (R) cables, for your phone line, but it would
still sound the same. The bandwidth is electronically limited. What you
get with splices and long cable runs is noise and low volume.
The phone company used the 4 kHz mark back at the beginning of the last
century, because they determined that that was the minimum amount of
bandwidth required to transmit intelligent speech. This bandwidth permits
the maximum amount of channel multiplexing.
I suppose this thread is in this NG because sound systems originally came in
fine wooden cabinets??

mark wrote:
I don't know. Think about this. You listen to music on your $6000

stereo
and it sounds good. When you call a store and are put on "hold", that
same music does not sound so good over the telephone. Why? Think about
all those spices and connections on the phone wires. That must be the
difference. If the phone company used straight runs of Monster Cable,
we'd get the same good sound.

Perhaps the difference might be found in the typical length of stereo

cables are
somewhere between 3 and 6 feet while the telephone company runs cables for
miles.

Just a thought....

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Paul Kierstead

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

I don't know. Think about this. You listen to music on your $6000 stereo
and it sounds good. When you call a store and are put on "hold", that same
music does not sound so good over the telephone. Why?

The why is quite involved, but I can absolutely assure you these two
things are not even remotely related; a classic case of apples and
oranges. Incidently, I have worked professionally in the field of
telephony communications (digital and analog) as well as professional
sound (mixing and set-up). When I was doing profession sound I did some
outdoor set-ups with thousands of watts of power. We used heavy guage,
very ordinary copper wire.

For speaker wire in particular, Monster cable is absolutely full of
****, there is no question. For cables carrying a much lower power
signal (mic cables especially, but also line-level stuff to some extent)
cable quality, and in particular proper impedence (for mic cables) and
top-notch shielding are quite important. However, here monster is still
full of ****. The sell short lenghts of "premium" optical cable for gods
sake.

Monster cable is ripping people off big time. Equal or better quality
cable and connectors can be had for much much less money in every single
case.

PK
Swingman

"mark" wrote in message

Besides, I'm a drummer, I just hang out with the musicians.

LOL ... it's good to know that at last some drummers know their place!

;)

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Tim Douglass

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 00:01:48 -0500, bkr
wrote:

Monster cables have always been ridiculously over priced. They are good
quality, but they aren't that much better than the $10 cables you can
buy with RCA plugs on them.

As long as the cable can handle the power load there won't be an real
difference. The place where there may be a difference is in the
connections, to the wire and how well they connect to the equipment.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

Charlie Self

Andy Dingley devils us with:

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 22:58:54 -0500, Brian wrote:

Such a sad state the American legal system is in that these things --
which IMO are in some cases out-and-out extortion, and in all cases
flagrant abuse of the legal system -- are allowed to continue.

Playing Devil's Avocado for a moment...

Monster Cable have a legal duty to do this, as the law permits them to
issue these vexatious suits and their duty to their shareholders
requires them to extort money from all possible avenues. Don't blame
Monster for this, blame the unholy mess that is the US legal system.

The suits are bad and wrong. But they're perfectly legal, and if you
don't have a court system that will reject them out of hand, them
Monster are just acting in a way that's being positively encouraged.

For a UK version of this, take a look at "EasyJet" and the owner's
ferocious pursuit of Easy* names

Well, hell. I'm gonna start a suit, nail everyone who uses my name in their
business. Start with Self magazine, I guess and motivate from there.

Charlie Self
"One of the common denominators I have found is that expectations rise above
that which is expected." George W. Bush
Lazarus Long

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 04:23:41 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Brian" wrote in message
I apologize for the OT post, but I feel the need to spead this story as
far as I can (and encourage you to do the same).

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::::::::::
http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,...611825,00.html

What a bunch of greedy assholes.

I've boycotted them for years. Their cables are very over-priced wire.

I recall a test done by Stereo Review some years ago. In blind testing,
none of the listeners could tell the difference between Monster cable, other
high priced brands, and lamp cord.

I agree completely with the point that one almost certainly cannot
*hear* the difference between Monster's product and other interconnect
cables.

But that's where it ends. I've been heavily involved with wire issues
in the course of my employment and I can state most emphatically that
the other details of fabricating a cable leave Monster's and other
quality brands, Heads, Shoulders and Torso's above the utter junk sold
at Radio Shack or especially the **** that comes packed with whatever
electronic item one can purchase at any mass merchandiser.

Radio Shack in particular should be ashamed of what they sell as
interconnects.

Copper alloys used in making the actual wire is of critical
importance. the manner in which any terminals attach are extremely
important. The quality of the polymers used as insulation matters a
great deal. Theoretically at least (in the realm of physics) the
alloy of copper and the manner in which it makes connections does
impact the sound, but I'm here to say I can't hear it. But this isn't
about sound quality so much as the physical quality of the cabling.

Each and every low quality cable I've ever used has failed
mechanically and electrically. Stuff from Radio Shack in particular
turned to unconductive junk in short order. The poor interconnects
included with the VCR/DVD/Receiver or whatever have also failed.

You say what you like about Monster not being worth the money, but
they do without any shadow of doubt make very sturdy long lasting
cabling. Others do to. But the low cost crap foisted on an unknowing
public is utterly worthless in terms of physical quality.

No, I DON'T WORK FOR MONSTER! I do work for a company that uses a lot
of power cords and it is those that I am responsible for in my
engineering job at my employer. Wire matters. The alloy matters.
The manner in which the wire is joined to connections matter.

If you don't believe it, you're only fooling yourself.
Steve Knight

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 23:18:23 -0500, "leonard" wrote:

I hope monster cable wins . they are only doing what any business does to
protect it very valuable name.Others that use similar names should expect to
looked also. Copy right laws exist for a purpose. but do not worry about
this small company (he's fine), he has done it for the free publicity for
his business.

monster is not exactly a uncommon work. what your going to sue any parent that
tells their kids about the monster under the bed?
these companies have nothing to do with audio cables. they will get no benefit
from the name association.
in the long run monster cables will suffer from stupidity.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

Edwin Pawlowski

"Henry St.Pierre" wrote in message

He wasn't serious?

Of course I was serious. I don't waste good money buying record albums or
CDs. Instead, I have a list of 800 numbers that I call, ask a question, get
put on hold. My insurance company plays top 40 stuff. The bank has a local
radio station. so I can get the news and weather reports. Cable company
has light jazz. The sporting goods store (where I buy my fishing rods and
trolling equipment) plays Country Western.

Leon

Pella Windows and Anderson Windows probably are not loosing any sleep.

"Eugene" wrote in message
Mike in Mystic wrote:

man, that makes me want to go and cut up the monster cables I have all
over
my home theater set-up. too bad they already got a lot of my money, the
bahstards. this stuff really is hard to believe

There are many other companies which do the same thing. Microsoft for
example, if your company or product, software or not has the word Windows
or something similar you can expect a lawsuit.

Mike Marlow

"Eugene" wrote in message
Mike in Mystic wrote:

man, that makes me want to go and cut up the monster cables I have all
over
my home theater set-up. too bad they already got a lot of my money, the
bahstards. this stuff really is hard to believe

There are many other companies which do the same thing. Microsoft for
example, if your company or product, software or not has the word Windows
or something similar you can expect a lawsuit.

A quick google for the word "Windows" proves this wrong. There are
restrictions on how a word or name is used in order to be considered a
trademark infringement.
--

-Mike-

Mike Marlow

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 22:58:54 -0500, Brian wrote:

Such a sad state the American legal system is in that these things --
which IMO are in some cases out-and-out extortion, and in all cases
flagrant abuse of the legal system -- are allowed to continue.

Playing Devil's Avocado for a moment...

Monster Cable have a legal duty to do this, as the law permits them to
issue these vexatious suits and their duty to their shareholders
requires them to extort money from all possible avenues. Don't blame
Monster for this, blame the unholy mess that is the US legal system.

The suits are bad and wrong. But they're perfectly legal, and if you
don't have a court system that will reject them out of hand, them
Monster are just acting in a way that's being positively encouraged.

For a UK version of this, take a look at "EasyJet" and the owner's
ferocious pursuit of Easy* names

Suits like this have been rejected by the courts out of hand in the US.
It's often less fun, but more practical to research a bit before slamming
the unholy mess that the US legal system is. I suppose there are holy
messes in other countries...

--

-Mike-

Leon

mark wrote:
I don't know. Think about this. You listen to music on your $6000
stereo
and it sounds good. When you call a store and are put on "hold", that
same music does not sound so good over the telephone. Why? Think about
all those spices and connections on the phone wires. That must be the
difference. If the phone company used straight runs of Monster Cable,
we'd get the same good sound.

Perhaps the difference might be found in the typical length of stereo
cables are somewhere between 3 and 6 feet while the telephone company runs
cables for miles.

I am thinking the 25 cent speaker in the hand set may factor in.

Leon

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
bkr wrote:

Personally I think Best Buy ought to drop that product line, but making
money on cables seems to be a successful marketing strategy at this point
(go down to CompUSA, find any Belkin cable, write down the price, the
name,
and the SKU, then plug those into Froogle).

All the companies that sell the name brand stuff could sell Bazooka brand
and the stuff would still be the same price. I have a source that basically
sells me same quality cables and some times same brand for about 20 cents
on the dollar when compared to CompUSA, Best Buy, Circuit City. This type
stuff is where the profit is for these guys,

Mike Marlow

"Swingman" wrote in message
"Joe" wrote in message
For pro audio (AKa not home or car audio most of the time) monaster

cable
makes 100% lifetime guaranteed stuff don't they?

For a traveling band or high traffic studio / stage environment, that is
worth it alone IMHO.

Nope. I've owned a recording studio (www.hsound.com) since 1978, and

played
in many a "traveling band".

I've never used the cables in the studio because of the price/performance
ratio, and I don't know anyone who does for very long, at least anyone who
has been in the studio business longer than the 2 years the average
"recording studio" stays in business.

Not to mention that there are a ton of lifetime warantee'd cables on the
market at a fraction of the cost of Monster Cables. It still amazes me that
people fall for this crap.

But what the hell ... if Eric Johnson can tell the difference between

brands
of 9 volt batteries in his guitar pedals, who am I to say?

Actually, this is quite common. It has to do with the way the batteries
decay though, and not with anything they do when new. Pedals provide
different distortions, etc. as the battery decays and it's not uncommon for
a player to want a somewhat used battery in his pedal for this reason.
Copper Top exhibits different characteristics of decay than does say,
Energizer. To some, it's fairly noticeable. Not to me.
--

-Mike-

Todd Fatheree

"mark" wrote in message

Oh I know the point!...I did graphic design for a living for about 5
years....It's like the client saying, "I like the idea, but can you make

it
edgier and more hip, without it being brash?"

Reminds me of a friend who does Mac support. He relaed a story to me where
a client asked a designer if he could just make the design "prettier". The
designer told my friend "oh, sure...I'll just hit the Apple 'pretty'
button".

todd

Unisaw A100

Brian wrote:
You know, **** you. I knew some moron was going to make this comment...
Just so you know I have donated more to the Red Cross tsunami relief
fund that you probably make in a month, assuming you have a job at all.

This is good Brian. Makes you look less the idjit I/we
thought you might be (1). So what you are saying is you're
Bill Gates?

Just because a tragedy of unthinkable proportions is going on doesn't
mean the rest of the world stops, you know. It's exactly that kind of
one-track-mind thinking that's gotten this damn country into the sad
state that it's in.

Actually, the country is fine Brian. Way better than most
any other nation in the world. OK, way better than 99% of
the population of the world. It's people who say that it's
being dragged down that are the problem.

I wonder where I might find an example of one of those
people?

Anyways, glad I could be here for you. I'd hate to think
what might happen if you were to turn your attentions to
something important.

(1) Damn it!!! I can't lie to you Brian. I/we all think
you're twice/three/four, maybe five times the idjit we
thought you were when you first posted this (2).

(2) OK, I lied again. I/we don't think you can be topped.
You are an idjit that cannot be seconded. You are
Our National Idjit.

UA100, in a giving mood today and well, I feel good about
that...