Brian Sharrock

Default Hidihg cables for 'Home - Cinema' surround sound

It's time to consider 'doing' the Lounge ...

Since it last saw a coat of paint we've accumulated
more kit and re-arranged seating etc .
I know that extra Electrical outlets are needed and where
they'll have to go .... which entails lifting the floorboards
and chasing boxes and channels into the walls.
While I'm at that ... I might as well tackle the 'signal'
wiring that's accumulated into the house.

I'm looking for suggestions, advise, don't-do-this, from
readers for coping with the '5.1' cables; the computer network
cables; that have proliferated.
Should I consider putting in green tubing to enable me to
pull-out the old stuff and push-in better/different audio cables
in the future - if I either win the Lottery or the cost of audio
kit comes down? What appropriate termination boxes are
available?

--

Brian

Ian Stirling

Brian Sharrock wrote:
It's time to consider 'doing' the Lounge ...

snip
While I'm at that ... I might as well tackle the 'signal'
wiring that's accumulated into the house.

I'm looking for suggestions, advise, don't-do-this, from
readers for coping with the '5.1' cables; the computer network
cables; that have proliferated.

Wireless may be an alternative for eliminating the computer network wiring.
It does not work well for all houses, and is comparatively much, much harder
to work out if it will work beforehand.

Should I consider putting in green tubing to enable me to
pull-out the old stuff and push-in better/different audio cables
in the future - if I either win the Lottery or the cost of audio
kit comes down? What appropriate termination boxes are
available?

Look on http://www.screwfix.com/ for an idea of the network terminating
boxes, they have a couple.
Conduit is a really, really good idea.

You'r practically guaranteed to find out that you want to put in another cable,
be it for routing a satellite dish signal to the decoder box across the
house, to the fish tank leak alarm, to a little circuit that tells you when
the hot water is back up to temperature, to ....
And always make it at the least twice the diameter you think you need.

As to audio speaker cable, or audio signal cable, there is no perceptible
improvement to what existing professional cables can achieve.
Vendors of carbon fiber cables made only from the hair of virgins et al
are merely peddling ignorance.
chris French

In message , Ian
Stirling writes
Brian Sharrock wrote:
It's time to consider 'doing' the Lounge ...

snip
While I'm at that ... I might as well tackle the 'signal'
wiring that's accumulated into the house.

I'm looking for suggestions, advise, don't-do-this, from
readers for coping with the '5.1' cables; the computer network
cables; that have proliferated.

Wireless may be an alternative for eliminating the computer network wiring.
It does not work well for all houses, and is comparatively much, much harder
to work out if it will work beforehand.

We are currently using a wireless network, with a pc and laptop,
connecting to net via Cable via wireless router. Fine for web net use as
the limiting factor is the net connection, and while ok for general use
it is much much slower when doing things that show this up - such as
shifting large files about the network.

I'd stick to a wired network wherever possible, and use the wireless
aspect where necessary/desirable.
--
Chris French, Leeds
N. Thornton

"Brian Sharrock" wrote in message ...
It's time to consider 'doing' the Lounge ...

Since it last saw a coat of paint we've accumulated
more kit and re-arranged seating etc .
I know that extra Electrical outlets are needed and where
they'll have to go .... which entails lifting the floorboards
and chasing boxes and channels into the walls.

have you considered putting it all behind the skirting board? Could be
less work - no plastering, maybe no chasing, perhaps, and if you want,
even no painting.

While I'm at that ... I might as well tackle the 'signal'
wiring that's accumulated into the house.

I'm looking for suggestions, advise, don't-do-this, from
readers for coping with the '5.1' cables; the computer network
cables; that have proliferated.
Should I consider putting in green tubing to enable me to
pull-out the old stuff and push-in better/different audio cables
in the future - if I either win the Lottery or the cost of audio
kit comes down? What appropriate termination boxes are
available?

you're bound to want to, so spare space is always good.
I'd sling in a multicore LV cable, its only a tenner for 100m and will
prove useful if you have any diy electrical tendencies. Loop it into
any LV boxes so its accessible.

Regards, NT
Pet

N. Thornton wrote:

have you considered putting it all behind the skirting board? Could be
less work - no plastering, maybe no chasing, perhaps, and if you want,
even no painting.

The chap that did our plastering said he'd recently done the cables for
somone's sound system by whipping off skirting, running cables and
re-fixing skirting with.... Velcro!

Made a really tidy job apparently and also made later fitting of
additional wires a breeze as and when required.

--
http://gymratz.co.uk - UK's best bodybuilding supplements,gym equipment.
http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam!