Barry Lennox

On 29 Dec 2004 08:02:38 -0800, "foggytown" wrote:

And now in a burst of refreshing honesty we're all going to admit to
the most useless, waste-of-money, unnecessary, white elephant, "why the
hell did I ever buy that" tool in our arsenal.

snip

An interesting thread, many of the listed items so far, I find quite
useful:

B&D Power file; good for removing small bits, but yes, it's
agressive.

Dremel, good but it's more a model making tool rather than for
full-size WW, very handy for chopping off bolts, etc

Biscuit Joiner; couldn't be without it.

Jap flush cut saw, excellent for trimming off little bits.

But the thing that has no redeeming features at all has to be the
Ryobi detail sander. Used it once on in a small corner, a waste of
time, it was FAR quicker to grab sandpaper and a small block.

Barry Lennox

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 22:51:08 -0500, Silvan
wrote:

Dave Hinz wrote:

I have a Dremel with a flexi-shaft (think 'speedometer cable in a
sheath'),
and that sucker can get in to _very_ tight places. I use it maybe once
a year, but when I need it, there's nothing else that will work.

Oh yeah, that goes without saying, doesn't it? These things are absolutely
useless without one of those flex shaft flummies. In fact, until you
brought it up just now, I had forgotten it used to not have one. Wow.

I think a dedicated flex shaft tool would probably be a better investment if
I ever manage to use this thing enough to kill it though.

I've got both a Foredom flex shaft and a Dremel and I use them both.
They're both good on the right jobs.

I even like the router attachment for some things.

Of course I do both wood and metal, as well as some lapidary.

If you like the Dremel flex-shaft, you'll _love_ the Foredom.

--RC

"Sometimes history doesn't repeat itself. It just yells
'can't you remember anything I've told you?' and lets
fly with a club.
-- John W. Cambell Jr.
Tim Douglass

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 22:56:53 GMT, "mark" wrote:

Strangely enough, I'm starting to look at a whole stack of antique
hand tools that way. I have been accumulating them from various
sources because people know I do woodworking and I just might be able
to use grandpa's old chest drill or whatever. Frankly I have no
interest in doing woodworking that way - too much of what I do is, of
necessity, outcome based. I don't even have a place to display them,
so they sit in boxes scattered hither and yon between attic storage,
two sheds and the garashop. I don't feel right selling them, but...

Trade ya a newly refurbished Rotozip tool for them.

Heh, heh. I may not plan on using them, but I *do* know what they are
worth.

Just cause I'm dumb doesn't mean I'm a sucker.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
Tim Douglass

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 02:01:17 -0500, Silvan
wrote:

It's not even that in my case, really. I'm a Geek after all. It's just not
fun anymore. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. When will my new
computer be ready?

I'm thinking about taking my car to a quickie lube place too. Wuss.

Still build the computers, but there is no way I'm doing anything but
the most minor of service on the car - mostly because I've already got
several 5 gallon pails of used oil lying around. I never seem to get
around to putting it into 1 gallon jugs and taking it down to the
recycling depot. All the other recycling is either curbside pickup or
at the drop-site just across the road. Only oil has to travel to the
far side of town.

Not worth it.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
Tim Douglass

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 00:00:33 -0600, Prometheus
wrote:

Having used both, I still prefer a utility knife and a straightedge
when it comes to drywall- even over a drywall saw. Never got the
rotozip to do anything but cut rough, curvy lines in my nice clean
sheetrock.

The knife and straightedge are for straight cuts across or along the
entire sheet. The rotozip with guidepoint bit is for electrical boxes
and door or window openings, it will cut a perfect line along the
window or door faster than you can run a knife along one side and
break it. As for boxes, there is just no comparison both in terms of
speed and in precision. A good guy with the rotozip will never have to
do any patching around an outlet.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

Tim Douglass

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 01:34:15 -0500, Silvan
wrote:

Dave Jackson wrote:

When i get a good sized handful of sockets that need replaced I just carry
them in and get the ones i want off the shelf. The cashiers normally just
count how many I'm returning and how many replacements i have without
actually comparing sizes. --dave

You know, come to think of it, I have never had to take a Crafstman socket
back. Only screwdrivers and mauls so far.

The older ones were awfully good. You really had to work at it to mess
one up. The new ones make the guarantee essential.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
Silvan

Norman D. Crow wrote:

Seemed like every 10min. she'd start in with "I got one, I got one" and
RUN away from the bank, as she wasn't all that coordinated on reeling,

Sounds like my son, except...

Boot.

Tree branch.

Rag.

Cola bottle.

Tree branch.

Tire.

Sneaker.

That poor boy never has ever caught a fish, I don't think. Of course, I'm
not much of a teacher. I don't eat fish, so I don't fish. I don't know
jack diddly about fishing. Obviously I've done a good job of teaching him
to catch trash.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Dave Hinz

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 16:16:40 -0500, Owen Lawrence wrote:

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 12:17:18 -0500, Owen Lawrence

wrote:

Actually I _have_ used a couple of these cords for original electronics
projects and repairs, but I've got a shoebox full of them and I made a
conscious decision last year to stop saving them.

How's that working out for you?

So far so good, but I think it's a lifetime affliction. Just yesterday I
put an old 486 laptop in the garbage, one that still runs.

Wait wait! What're ya doing? That's a perfectly good machine. Is it
still out there? Can I have the harddrive? How about the screen? Does it
have a CDROM drive?

That was hard
enough. (I've got a "new" replacement freebie laptop.) But the power
supply and its cord got wrapped up and put on the shelf for some future
electronics project. Sigh...

Yup, you're hopeless. Also.

Dave

Dave Hinz

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 05:53:44 GMT, Patriarch wrote:
Silvan wrote in
:

Upgrading is a PITA keeping up
with what class of this works with what type of that, and I don't
bother anymore. I bought my last two computer pre-assembled. Wuss.

Tuning handplanes is the badge of honor amongst these fellows.
Preassembled computers that upgrade their own software,

I'm updating my FreeBSD ports tree at the moment...

and handplanes that
were old when our fathers were born. Saws & chisels, too, if we can find
them.

I pick my battles these days.

Yup. I don't screw around with my computers at home nearly as much
as I used to, I'd rather spend time with the family or in the workshops.

Dave

Dave Hinz

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 23:03:55 -0500, Silvan wrote:

shirts and some dress clothes I haven't worn in yearrrrs. (I own a tie?
Why do I own a tie?)

Well, interviews, of course.

Oh, blah blah blah, what the hell was I rambling about? The closet pole.
Anyway, it was supposed to help hold up the shelf I loaded down with my
wife's old childhood crap she can't get rid of. It didn't fit, so...
drum roll...

I THREW IT AWAY!

OK, who are you, and what have you done with our Silvan?

Wow. I have to go drink some beer, smoke a cigar, and maybe go buy a copy
of Hustler or something to prove I'm not gay after all this.

Bah. Be secure in your manhood and just download porn like the rest of
the world.

Dave "How do I set that X-no-archive flag again?" Hinz

Dave Hinz

Dave Jackson wrote:

When i get a good sized handful of sockets that need replaced I just carry
them in and get the ones i want off the shelf. The cashiers normally just
count how many I'm returning and how many replacements i have without
actually comparing sizes. --dave

You know, come to think of it, I have never had to take a Crafstman socket
back. Only screwdrivers and mauls so far.

How do you break a maul, exactly? I mean, aren't they _made_ to hit stuff
with?

Larry Jaques

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 23:05:55 -0500, Silvan
calmly ranted:

Larry Jaques wrote:

on a Hoover vac for you. It'll be under $50 and they can nearly

A Hoover what? This POS is a Hoover. All Hoovers ain't created equal,
evidently.

One of the solid metal beasties, Minty Man. Uh, let's see...
Like these Kirbys, they were sold door to door for an arm and
both legs. http://www.thevacuumcenter.com/kirby-main.shtml
Maybe I was thinking of Kirby since I can't seem to find a pic
of the vac I was thinking of.

--
Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|- www.diversify.com
Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites

Larry Jaques

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 21:34:11 -0700, Mark & Juanita
calmly ranted:

Larry,

You sure you mean "Hoover" and not "Kirby"? Kirby is the brand
that is priced in the $1k + range and had all of those attachments that

Yeah, I just came to that conclusion myself.

came with it. Although they were OK vacs, they certainly were not worthy
of the price tag and I wouldn't be surprised that a number of them wind up
in Goodwill stores. I think the Looney Toons "Suckolux" was modeled after
the Kirby claims. They also usually came with a *very* pushy salesman, the
kind that gave door to door such a bad name.

That's them!

--
Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|- www.diversify.com
Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites

Larry Jaques

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 10:39:35 -0500, Renata
calmly ranted:

What's with all this 'lectric clothing stuff?
ANd, speaking of.. what's an electric hat?

That's just what the doctors called it. We know better.
wink

--
Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|- www.diversify.com
Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites

Dave in Fairfax

Silvan wrote:
Sounds like my son, except...

snip of depressing litany
That poor boy never has ever caught a fish, I don't think. Of course, I'm
not much of a teacher. I don't eat fish, so I don't fish. I don't know
jack diddly about fishing. Obviously I've done a good job of teaching him
to catch trash.

OK Silvan. Toss him in the car sometime and I'll teach ya both to
go fishing. I'll even share one of my fishing holes with you.
Last person I took there I had to teach how to clean all the
catfish we caught.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
Patriarch

Dave Hinz wrote in
:

snip

You know, come to think of it, I have never had to take a Crafstman
socket back. Only screwdrivers and mauls so far.

How do you break a maul, exactly? I mean, aren't they _made_ to hit
stuff with?

The ones _I've_ broken have been when I missed what I was trying to hit.
Typically a wedge. How Michael broke his is a matter for speculation.

If you whack the handle just south of the head, say, on the edge of a
massive chunk of firewood, physics tends to work against you.

Patriarch
Dave in Fairfax

Silvan wrote:
A Hoover what? This POS is a Hoover. All Hoovers ain't created equal,
evidently.

Uh, ya gotta replace the bag every once in a while...

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
use:
daveldr at att dot net
American Association of Woodturners
http://www.woodturner.org
Capital Area Woodturners
http://www.capwoodturners.org/
PATINA
http://www.Patinatools.org/
Dave in Fairfax

Mark & Juanita wrote:
Larry,
You sure you mean "Hoover" and not "Kirby"? Kirby is the brand
that is priced in the $1k + range and had all of those attachments that
came with it. Although they were OK vacs, they certainly were not worthy
of the price tag and I wouldn't be surprised that a number of them wind up
in Goodwill stores. I think the Looney Toons "Suckolux" was modeled after
the Kirby claims. They also usually came with a *very* pushy salesman, the
kind that gave door to door such a bad name.

Sorry that's Electrolux , Kirbys worked pretty good. YMMV.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
use:
daveldr at att dot net
American Association of Woodturners
http://www.woodturner.org
Capital Area Woodturners
http://www.capwoodturners.org/
PATINA
http://www.Patinatools.org/
Norman D. Crow

"Patriarch" wrote in message
Dave Hinz wrote in
:

snip

You know, come to think of it, I have never had to take a Crafstman
socket back. Only screwdrivers and mauls so far.

How do you break a maul, exactly? I mean, aren't they _made_ to hit
stuff with?

The ones _I've_ broken have been when I missed what I was trying to hit.
Typically a wedge. How Michael broke his is a matter for speculation.

If you whack the handle just south of the head, say, on the edge of a
massive chunk of firewood, physics tends to work against you.

Stings, too!

--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

Mark & Juanita

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 23:41:42 GMT, Dave in Fairfax wrote:

Mark & Juanita wrote:
Larry,
You sure you mean "Hoover" and not "Kirby"? Kirby is the brand
that is priced in the $1k + range and had all of those attachments that
came with it. Although they were OK vacs, they certainly were not worthy
of the price tag and I wouldn't be surprised that a number of them wind up
in Goodwill stores. I think the Looney Toons "Suckolux" was modeled after
the Kirby claims. They also usually came with a *very* pushy salesman, the
kind that gave door to door such a bad name.

Sorry that's Electrolux , Kirbys worked pretty good. YMMV.
Dave in Fairfax

My sole sample of one Kirby (that had been donated to our church) didn't
exactly impress me. Maybe others were better. However, the pushy
salespeoples, that was definitely Kirby. They were one of the reasons for
getting an answering machine. They decided that telemarketing was the best
way to find marks without having to go to every door. You'd think one call
would be enough, apparently they thought that calling monthly might get you
to agree to a demonstration. (How many different ways do I have to tell
you that "No" means get lost, you're bothering me?)

Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry

Owen Lawrence

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
Wait wait! What're ya doing? That's a perfectly good machine. Is it
still out there? Can I have the harddrive? How about the screen? Does

it
have a CDROM drive?

I sent e-mail to the above address but I suspect it's munged. Change my
username to owen (keep the rest of my address) and send me a message if
you're serious.

- Owen -

Silvan

Dave in Fairfax wrote:

Silvan wrote:
A Hoover what? This POS is a Hoover. All Hoovers ain't created equal,
evidently.

Uh, ya gotta replace the bag every once in a while...

Did. Even took it apart to make sure it wasn't clogged up with anything.
Nope. Fine. It just doesn't suck worth a damn. Complete waste of
electricity even bothering to run the stupid, useless thing.

This carpet HAS to come out of here. I HATE carpet.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Silvan

wrote:

shirts and some dress clothes I haven't worn in yearrrrs. (I own a tie?
Why do I own a tie?)

Well, interviews, of course.

The funny thing is I have never once gotten any job I dressed up for. Ever.
"We'll call you." Right.

I THREW IT AWAY!

OK, who are you, and what have you done with our Silvan?

You should see the curb. Wow dude. TWO entire BOXES of trash bags. I
basically threw away 80% of everything that was in our closets, and gave
the 12% of it that was worth something to someone to Goodwill.

We had SO much crap. Toilet huggies from two houses ago? Drapes when we
have mini blinds everywhere. Home decor and other froo froo stupid crap
people who know nothing about us give us for Christmas every year.

I guess we could have had a yard sale, but screw it.

The old Silvan died about three weeks ago, the first time my wife went into
the hospital. I'm Mr. Mom now, and I'm going to get this dump clean and
KEEP it clean. The kids ignore Mommy, but they're going to damn well
listen to DADDY!

Bah. Be secure in your manhood and just download porn like the rest of
the world.

Dave "How do I set that X-no-archive flag again?" Hinz

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Silvan

Dave Hinz wrote:

Yup. I don't screw around with my computers at home nearly as much
as I used to, I'd rather spend time with the family or in the workshops.

It just ain't fun anymore.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Silvan

Tim Douglass wrote:

the most minor of service on the car - mostly because I've already got
several 5 gallon pails of used oil lying around. I never seem to get
around to putting it into 1 gallon jugs and taking it down to the
recycling depot. All the other recycling is either curbside pickup or

I just did it, FINALLY, when one of my jugs sprung a leak somehow and got
oil all over the place.

I have no idea how much liquid one of those cat litter jugs hold, but I'd
say 1.5 to 2 gallons, probably. I had about 30 of them. It took me half
the day to pour all of them into the hole.

at the drop-site just across the road. Only oil has to travel to the
far side of town.

Not worth it.

Yeah, can't just pour it on the driveway anymore.

Um. Not that I ever did that.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Silvan

Dave in Fairfax wrote:

OK Silvan. Toss him in the car sometime and I'll teach ya both to
go fishing. I'll even share one of my fishing holes with you.
Last person I took there I had to teach how to clean all the
catfish we caught.

It's a date. About 2007 good for you?

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Silvan

Dave Hinz wrote:

back. Only screwdrivers and mauls so far.

How do you break a maul, exactly? I mean, aren't they _made_ to hit stuff
with?

Um. Dad used to buy a truckload of logs, cut it to length, and then hand me
a maul. I was pretty good at splitting wood, but I missed from time to
time. Usually after about the fourth or fifth cord. Miss about five good
times, and it's time to go to Sears and get a new maul.

I must have split about 40 or 50 cords of wood with one maul. Which I
replaced about 20 times. It was easier after I could DRIVE to Sears
for a new maul.

Wow, I'm so soft and squishy now.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Silvan

Tim Douglass wrote:

The older ones were awfully good. You really had to work at it to mess
one up. The new ones make the guarantee essential.

I bought these (sockets) in about 1990.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Norman D. Crow

"Silvan" wrote in message
Tim Douglass wrote:

the most minor of service on the car - mostly because I've already got
several 5 gallon pails of used oil lying around. I never seem to get
around to putting it into 1 gallon jugs and taking it down to the
recycling depot. All the other recycling is either curbside pickup or

I just did it, FINALLY, when one of my jugs sprung a leak somehow and got
oil all over the place.

I have no idea how much liquid one of those cat litter jugs hold, but I'd
say 1.5 to 2 gallons, probably. I had about 30 of them. It took me half
the day to pour all of them into the hole.

at the drop-site just across the road. Only oil has to travel to the
far side of town.

At least here in western NY, any place that sells oil in quantity is
required by law to accept used oil for recycling. Advance Auto, Auto Zone,
Tractor Supply, etc. I think Wal-Mart is too, but I'm not sure.

--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

Mark Jerde

Silvan wrote:

The kids ignore Mommy, but they're
going to damn well listen to DADDY!

Umm, I picked up my D&D 21 year old early this evening (about 10:30 pm) for
starting fights at a party. He quit listening to his daddy several years
ago... sigh

The alarms go off at 4:00 am, 3 hours & 40 minutes from now, to take him to
the airport to go back to the yea! Army...

On his behalf, he's only 1/3rd as messed up as I was at his age.

-- Mark

Silvan

Norman D. Crow wrote:

At least here in western NY, any place that sells oil in quantity is
required by law to accept used oil for recycling. Advance Auto, Auto Zone,
Tractor Supply, etc. I think Wal-Mart is too, but I'm not sure.

Probably the same here, but the recycling center is closer. All of them are
less convenient than stuffing yet another jug of oil into the shed to deal
with later.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Mark & Juanita

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 21:47:24 -0500, Silvan
wrote:

Dave in Fairfax wrote:

Silvan wrote:
A Hoover what? This POS is a Hoover. All Hoovers ain't created equal,
evidently.

Uh, ya gotta replace the bag every once in a while...

Did. Even took it apart to make sure it wasn't clogged up with anything.
Nope. Fine. It just doesn't suck worth a damn. Complete waste of
electricity even bothering to run the stupid, useless thing.

This carpet HAS to come out of here. I HATE carpet.

You should be able to get a new Hoover suck-o-lux for less than $100. We
did that 5 years ago -- works really well.

Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry

Edwin Pawlowski

"Silvan" wrote in message

Probably the same here, but the recycling center is closer. All of them
are
less convenient than stuffing yet another jug of oil into the shed to deal
with later.

Our town picks up oil with the recycling. Problem is, the geniuses that set
up the program made a two quart per week limit. The average oil change
takes how many quarts?
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Dave in Fairfax

Silvan wrote:
It's a date. About 2007 good for you?

I don't usually make dates with guys, not being a nurse, too much
talk. But in this case I'll make an exception. %-)

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
use:
daveldr at att dot net
American Association of Woodturners
http://www.woodturner.org
Capital Area Woodturners
http://www.capwoodturners.org/
PATINA
http://www.Patinatools.org/
Dave in Fairfax

Dave Hinz wrote:
Yup. I don't screw around with my computers at home nearly as much
as I used to, I'd rather spend time with the family or in the workshops.

Silvan wrote:
It just ain't fun anymore.

Couldn't agree more. Computers - making them, playing with 'em,
learning OS's used to be fun. As they got more Windozed and
fancier they became less fun. What a loss.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
use:
daveldr at att dot net
American Association of Woodturners
http://www.woodturner.org
Capital Area Woodturners
http://www.capwoodturners.org/
PATINA
http://www.Patinatools.org/
foggytown

Larry Jaques wrote:

on a Hoover vac for you. It'll be under $50 and they can nearly

A Hoover what? This POS is a Hoover. All Hoovers ain't created

equal,
evidently.

One of the solid metal beasties, Minty Man. Uh, let's see...
Like these Kirbys, they were sold door to door for an arm and
both legs. http://www.thevacuumcenter.com/kirby-main.shtml
Maybe I was thinking of Kirby since I can't seem to find a pic
of the vac I was thinking of.

Oooooooooo! I had to buy my (now) ex-wife one of those. SOB salesman
must have had his antennae finely tuned that day. Came to the door
just as wife and I had a real ding-dong of a bust up. She was headed
towards divorce but settled for the Kirby (with sanding attachment, no
less). Couple of years later she got the divorce AND the Kirby.
God I miss that vac!

FoggyTown

Gino

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 13:16:53 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Silvan" wrote in message

Probably the same here, but the recycling center is closer. All of them
are
less convenient than stuffing yet another jug of oil into the shed to deal
with later.

Our town picks up oil with the recycling. Problem is, the geniuses that set
up the program made a two quart per week limit. The average oil change
takes how many quarts?

That 104 quarts a year. That about 20 oil changes.
Gino

Silvan wrote:
It just ain't fun anymore.

Couldn't agree more. Computers - making them, playing with 'em,
learning OS's used to be fun. As they got more Windozed and
fancier they became less fun. What a loss.

No problem here. I have computers going back to 1980, all working, 6 oldies in
all. Even an old Mac.
I collect software on Ebay and as an ole long time pirate myself I have
thousands of programs for them.
It's great fun to fire them up.

ebay sucks big time anthony james UK diy 1 July 30th 04 07:28 PM
OT-John Kerry Gunner Metalworking 137 February 11th 04 07:38 PM
OT - Gunner Quote Cliff Huprich Metalworking 183 January 27th 04 09:20 AM