Dave in Fairfax

Gino wrote:
No problem here. I have computers going back to 1980, all working, 6 oldies in
all. Even an old Mac.
I collect software on Ebay and as an ole long time pirate myself I have
thousands of programs for them.
It's great fun to fire them up.

I just got rid of a bunch of old stuff. Lunch boxes thru Zenith
286s and the software from DOS 1.05 thru Win 95 upgrade to 98.
About 10 DMPs and some old BJs. You shoulda seen my curb. Piles
of old books as well.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
TWS

6 inch Enco POS Jointer. This was actually a gift from SWMBO but the
fact that I kept it makes me culpable.

Central Machinery (AKA HF) Mortiser. Bought this on eBay, didn't know
about HF at the time and discovered that the combined price of the
unit plus shipping exceeded HF price with free shipping. Finally got
rid of the POS last year because I had to do some *real* mortising on
a cherry bed I was making. Which brings me to the next item...

Delta Mortiser. This thing couldn't cut a 1/2 inch mortise in a
cherry bed rail with the riser installed. Even the Delta service
people couldn't figure out why. Thankfully Woodworker Supply honored
the Delta warranty and gave me a full refund. I learned that I can
*always* rely on my drill and chisel...

Any HF piece of equipment I've bought. I may have finally learned my
lesson now that my last piece of HF equipment has died (pancake
compressor).

For all those really clever tools I've purchased and not yet used I'm
not going to fess up yet - I'm just waiting for the right project...
;-)

TWS
Gino

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 16:53:32 GMT, Dave in Fairfax wrote:

Gino wrote:
No problem here. I have computers going back to 1980, all working, 6 oldies in
all. Even an old Mac.
I collect software on Ebay and as an ole long time pirate myself I have
thousands of programs for them.
It's great fun to fire them up.

I just got rid of a bunch of old stuff. Lunch boxes thru Zenith
286s and the software from DOS 1.05 thru Win 95 upgrade to 98.
About 10 DMPs and some old BJs. You shoulda seen my curb. Piles
of old books as well.

I have the most fun with old 'home' computers.
TI994a, Commodore 64, and the portable Tandy 102 are a blast.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Gino" wrote in message
That 104 quarts a year. That about 20 oil changes.

Sure, but you have to keep the other two quarts around another week rather
than safely dispose of them. Does not make sense. A limit per month may be
more practical to keep the commercial guys from using the "free" service.

Patriarch

"Mark Jerde" wrote in

Silvan wrote:

The kids ignore Mommy, but they're
going to damn well listen to DADDY!

Umm, I picked up my D&D 21 year old early this evening (about 10:30
pm) for starting fights at a party. He quit listening to his daddy
several years ago... sigh

The alarms go off at 4:00 am, 3 hours & 40 minutes from now, to take
him to the airport to go back to the yea! Army...

On his behalf, he's only 1/3rd as messed up as I was at his age.

-- Mark

If you're lucky, and the Army does its part, you'll find that, in about 4
years, the conversations will get a LOT better.

My wife says it's a lot easier to be patient with the kids at this age from
hundreds of miles away. Smart woman I married.

Patriarch,
who was lucky that, when the cell phone went off at 1 am, it was a wrong
number...

Gino

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 18:25:31 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Gino" wrote in message
That 104 quarts a year. That about 20 oil changes.

Sure, but you have to keep the other two quarts around another week rather
than safely dispose of them. Does not make sense. A limit per month may be
more practical to keep the commercial guys from using the "free" service.

But then the drivers would have to keep records.
I use 2/4 liter milk jugs for my oil.

Get yourself an old chest freezer, cover the outside with some nice cedar boards
and a nice sturdy wood top. Place in yard.
Now you have instant workbench and lockable storage outside your home, and it
looks great as well.

jo4hn

Dave in Fairfax wrote:
Gino wrote:

No problem here. I have computers going back to 1980, all working, 6 oldies in
all. Even an old Mac.
I collect software on Ebay and as an ole long time pirate myself I have
thousands of programs for them.
It's great fun to fire them up.

I just got rid of a bunch of old stuff. Lunch boxes thru Zenith
286s and the software from DOS 1.05 thru Win 95 upgrade to 98.
About 10 DMPs and some old BJs. You shoulda seen my curb. Piles
of old books as well.

Dave in Fairfax

I still have an Autocoder manual around here someplace. Also did a fair
amount of machine language programming. Punched paper tape was the
medium of choice although patches could be entered in octal via a string
if toggle switches and a nixie light display. Gaggers. Fun though.
mahalo,
jo4hn
jo4hn

GRONK!!!
jo4hn

Silvan wrote:

[snip]
Wow, I'm so soft and squishy now.

Built for comfort, not for speed.

:-)
jo4hn
Mark Jerde

Patriarch wrote:

My wife says it's a lot easier to be patient with the kids at this
age from hundreds of miles away. Smart woman I married.

Exactly!

-- Mark

Tim Douglass

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 21:47:24 -0500, Silvan
wrote:

Dave in Fairfax wrote:

Silvan wrote:
A Hoover what? This POS is a Hoover. All Hoovers ain't created equal,
evidently.

Uh, ya gotta replace the bag every once in a while...

Did. Even took it apart to make sure it wasn't clogged up with anything.
Nope. Fine. It just doesn't suck worth a damn. Complete waste of
electricity even bothering to run the stupid, useless thing.

This carpet HAS to come out of here. I HATE carpet.

Carpet is good - you can go much longer between vacuuming than between
sweeping bare floor. Carpet should, however, be verboten in kitchens,
dining areas, and bathrooms.

I think we have a Hoover. Windtunnel or something like that. Bagless
with HEPA filter. Excellent machine and cheap enough that if it dies
after 5 years I won't even care. Currently had it for almost 3 years
and it sucks just as much as it did when we got it. I do need to
replace the main filter, but it is washable and a good wash seems to
restore it to virtually new condition. Here in the high desert we get
a lot of dust (all volcanic in nature and very harsh) and vacuums tend
to die young and painfully. This one is a keeper (and so has probably
been discontinued by the company, to be replaces with some total piece
of junk that I will hurl off a cliff 2 weeks after buying).

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
Tim Douglass

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 22:01:28 -0500, Silvan
wrote:

Tim Douglass wrote:

the most minor of service on the car - mostly because I've already got
several 5 gallon pails of used oil lying around. I never seem to get
around to putting it into 1 gallon jugs and taking it down to the
recycling depot. All the other recycling is either curbside pickup or

I just did it, FINALLY, when one of my jugs sprung a leak somehow and got
oil all over the place.

I have no idea how much liquid one of those cat litter jugs hold, but I'd
say 1.5 to 2 gallons, probably. I had about 30 of them. It took me half
the day to pour all of them into the hole.

at the drop-site just across the road. Only oil has to travel to the
far side of town.

Not worth it.

Yeah, can't just pour it on the driveway anymore.

Um. Not that I ever did that.

Nope. No sir! Not me either, never! Not even when I lived on the farm.
Wouldn't want to disturb the environment of the barn lot, you know.
;-)

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
Tim Douglass

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 23:19:46 -0500, "Norman D. Crow"
wrote:

Tim Douglass wrote:

at the drop-site just across the road. Only oil has to travel to the
far side of town.

At least here in western NY, any place that sells oil in quantity is
required by law to accept used oil for recycling. Advance Auto, Auto Zone,
Tractor Supply, etc. I think Wal-Mart is too, but I'm not sure.

Some do, but it has to be in containers no larger than one gallon and
clearly labeled "used oil". I'm too unorganized to round up 20 gallon
jugs and don't have the time or patience to deal with it. So for now I
go to jiffy lube and try to ignore those 5 gal. pails in the shed.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
Tim Douglass

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 09:47:05 -0800, Gino wrote:

I have the most fun with old 'home' computers.
TI994a, Commodore 64, and the portable Tandy 102 are a blast.

I'd love to get my hands on an old C64 portable. Wish I'd never lost
track of the original.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
Tim Douglass

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 05:23:48 GMT, "Mark Jerde"
wrote:

Umm, I picked up my D&D 21 year old early this evening (about 10:30 pm) for
starting fights at a party. He quit listening to his daddy several years
ago... sigh

The alarms go off at 4:00 am, 3 hours & 40 minutes from now, to take him to
the airport to go back to the yea! Army...

On his behalf, he's only 1/3rd as messed up as I was at his age.

I spend a lot of time praying my kids don't *ever* end up as screwed
up as I was growing up. Even 1/3 would suck (as you seem to agree). It
was not good growing up during the 60's and 70's.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

Tim Douglass

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 22:05:25 -0500, Silvan
wrote:

Dave Hinz wrote:

back. Only screwdrivers and mauls so far.

How do you break a maul, exactly? I mean, aren't they _made_ to hit stuff
with?

Um. Dad used to buy a truckload of logs, cut it to length, and then hand me
a maul. I was pretty good at splitting wood, but I missed from time to
time. Usually after about the fourth or fifth cord. Miss about five good
times, and it's time to go to Sears and get a new maul.

I must have split about 40 or 50 cords of wood with one maul. Which I
replaced about 20 times. It was easier after I could DRIVE to Sears
for a new maul.

Wow, I'm so soft and squishy now.

I cut and sold firewood one summer with a friend. Did some 300 cords.
It hurts just thinking about it. I doubt I could even *lift* the 16lb
maul we used. Oh, to be 18 again!

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
Edwin Pawlowski

Did. Even took it apart to make sure it wasn't clogged up with anything.
Nope. Fine. It just doesn't suck worth a damn. Complete waste of
electricity even bothering to run the stupid, useless thing.

Is it a tank/canister model? If so, it could be the hose. they wear out,
get pin holes and leaks at the fittings.. I just replaced the hose on one
of our vacs (Electrolux, $50) and now it sucks like new.

Dave in Fairfax

Gino wrote:
I have the most fun with old 'home' computers.
TI994a, Commodore 64, and the portable Tandy 102 are a blast.

There was a Morrow, an Adam, and an Eagle out there. Trash 80
too, now that I think of it. I wish I could run bricks on this
computer. %-(

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
use:
daveldr at att dot net
American Association of Woodturners
http://www.woodturner.org
Capital Area Woodturners
http://www.capwoodturners.org/
PATINA
http://www.Patinatools.org/

Bullwinkle J. Moose

Oh contraire! It was great growing up in the 60's and 70's. Parents had a
helluva lot more control, we prayed in school, we recited the Pledge Of
Allegiance, kids had no cell phones, no murders in the schools, hell we used
pocket knives to sharpen pencils. 70's in high school, during the hunting
months, we came to school with our rifles/shotguns hanging in the gun racks
in the back windows of our trucks. Yes, it was good back then. Now it sucks.
Having a full time police officer on staff, going through metal detectors,
not being able to say the Pledge Of Allegiance. Where exactly do you
live???? Come on, what we did back then got our asses tanned by the
principal, the by our father when we got home. Now, it's a criminal offense
to scold the brats at Wal-Mart???? Crawl out from under the rock Tim.

wrote:

Umm, I picked up my D&D 21 year old early this evening (about 10:30 pm)

for
starting fights at a party. He quit listening to his daddy several years
ago... sigh

The alarms go off at 4:00 am, 3 hours & 40 minutes from now, to take him

the airport to go back to the yea! Army...

On his behalf, he's only 1/3rd as messed up as I was at his age.

I spend a lot of time praying my kids don't *ever* end up as screwed
up as I was growing up. Even 1/3 would suck (as you seem to agree). It
was not good growing up during the 60's and 70's.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

Norman D. Crow

wrote:

Tim Douglass wrote:

at the drop-site just across the road. Only oil has to travel to the
far side of town.

At least here in western NY, any place that sells oil in quantity is
required by law to accept used oil for recycling. Advance Auto, Auto

Zone,
Tractor Supply, etc. I think Wal-Mart is too, but I'm not sure.

Some do, but it has to be in containers no larger than one gallon and
clearly labeled "used oil". I'm too unorganized to round up 20 gallon
jugs and don't have the time or patience to deal with it. So for now I
go to jiffy lube and try to ignore those 5 gal. pails in the shed.

We can take in whatever container we have and pour it into their tank.

--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

Silvan

jo4hn wrote:

Silvan wrote:

[snip]
Wow, I'm so soft and squishy now.

Built for comfort, not for speed.

I resemble that remark. Though I can pick up some speed when I want to.
Had to do the regular general purpose shopping, instead of just the Daddy
shopping I usually do (which usually isn't at Wal-Mart anyway.) I got a
lot of looks from people powering down the aisle full throttle and skidding
on all the corners. Zero collisions. I wanted to get it the hell over
with so I could get some shop time on this glorious 65 degree January day.

And I did, too. Finally tried out my scrapers on that little wild grained
maple board end. I guess it's probably what you'd call fiddleback grain.
Came out purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrty when I got done. Wow!

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Silvan

Dave in Fairfax wrote:

Silvan wrote:
It's a date. About 2007 good for you?

I don't usually make dates with guys, not being a nurse, too much
talk. But in this case I'll make an exception. %-)

Oh me neither. I haven't been on a date with a guy in yearrrrs.

(That's actually an interesting story.)

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Tim Douglass

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 00:50:21 GMT, "Bullwinkle J. Moose"
wrote:

Oh contraire! It was great growing up in the 60's and 70's. Parents had a
helluva lot more control, we prayed in school, we recited the Pledge Of
Allegiance, kids had no cell phones, no murders in the schools, hell we used
pocket knives to sharpen pencils. 70's in high school, during the hunting
months, we came to school with our rifles/shotguns hanging in the gun racks
in the back windows of our trucks. Yes, it was good back then. Now it sucks.
Having a full time police officer on staff, going through metal detectors,
not being able to say the Pledge Of Allegiance. Where exactly do you
live???? Come on, what we did back then got our asses tanned by the
principal, the by our father when we got home. Now, it's a criminal offense
to scold the brats at Wal-Mart???? Crawl out from under the rock Tim.

Let me just say "sex, drugs and rock and roll". On a poll of my
graduating class 98% said they used drugs. You could probably count
the virgins on one hand. Things were pretty much adrift. Most of the
restrictions we have today come from the excess of the 60's and 70's.
Sure we carried knives to school - and sometimes used them carve on
one another.

Some things may be worse today, but I don't see nearly as much of the
life-destroying behavior we embraced so enthusiastically back then. I
was, quite frankly, lucky to escape my high school years alive. Some
of my classmates weren't that lucky.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
Silvan

Tim Douglass wrote:

I cut and sold firewood one summer with a friend. Did some 300 cords.
It hurts just thinking about it. I doubt I could even *lift* the 16lb
maul we used. Oh, to be 18 again!

Tell me about it! I didn't have a 16 lb. maul, but I did have a wedge and
16 lb. sledge for the big logs that wouldn't split any other way.

I gave that thing to my boss last year, in trade for a computer or
something. I can't even swing the damn thing one good time anymore.

I don't feel quite so bad though. We had a neighbor we used to call when we
needed to bring some real strength to the table. That guy could split 36"
red gum logs in a single swipe all day long. (And we had a LOT of 36" red
gum logs that year. Some of which were crotches.)

He just bought one of those wussy hydraulic deals. I guess Father Time is
finally kicking him in the ass.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Silvan

Tim Douglass wrote:

Yeah, can't just pour it on the driveway anymore.

Um. Not that I ever did that.

Nope. No sir! Not me either, never! Not even when I lived on the farm.
Wouldn't want to disturb the environment of the barn lot, you know.
;-)

I think Monsanto (makers of Roundup) is responsible for all this. Ustabe
you could just pour a little oil around your driveway to kill the weeds,
and maybe light a match for the stubborn ones. Not any more. Now the
spotted hoobajooba fish will go extinct if you return a product that came
out of the ground back whence it came.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Silvan

Tim Douglass wrote:

This carpet HAS to come out of here. I HATE carpet.

Carpet is good - you can go much longer between vacuuming than between
sweeping bare floor. Carpet should, however, be verboten in kitchens,
dining areas, and bathrooms.

I already got rid of the carpet in all of the above places. In the
bathrooms, they had carpet over tile with extremely bad grout. Morons.

I think we have a Hoover. Windtunnel or something like that. Bagless
with HEPA filter. Excellent machine and cheap enough that if it dies

I looked at vacuum cleaners today, but fooey. I'd rather save the money
toward real floors. I figure if it won't lift a Beetle, or a Unisaw,
whichever is heavier, it doesn't have enough power to get anything out of
these nasty rags anyway. Beige carpet. Two kids, four dogs. Four dogs
that lose 470.7 million tons of hair every 13/256 of a second. I should
start making felt hats.

to die young and painfully. This one is a keeper (and so has probably
been discontinued by the company, to be replaces with some total piece
of junk that I will hurl off a cliff 2 weeks after buying).

Ain't that always the way? Same thing with boots. I really should start
buying two pairs of everything whenever I find something that doesn't suck.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Silvan

Dave in Fairfax wrote:

About 10 DMPs and some old BJs. You shoulda seen my curb. Piles
of old books as well.

Yeah, I hate to toss books, but I hadda make room for new ones that will be
out of date in three minutes. Which is two minutes longer than the
computer they describe.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Silvan

Dave in Fairfax wrote:

There was a Morrow, an Adam, and an Eagle out there. Trash 80
too, now that I think of it. I wish I could run bricks on this
computer. %-(

But you can.

-apt-cache search bricks

gnome-breakout - Clone of the classic game Breakout, written for GNOME
lbreakout2 - A ball-and-paddle game with nice graphics
lbreakout2-data - A ball-and-paddle game with nice graphics (DATA FILES)

Or close enough. I'm sure there's got to be something for Windows too.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Silvan

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Our town picks up oil with the recycling. Problem is, the geniuses that
set
up the program made a two quart per week limit. The average oil change
takes how many quarts?

Two QUART per week limit? What, do the town planners all drive to work on
lawn mowers?

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Xane T.

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 15:01:26 -0500, Silvan
wrote:

Sounds like my son, except...

Boot.

Tree branch.

Rag.

Cola bottle.

Tree branch.

Tire.

Sneaker.

It's like that episode of Futurama...

Leela: Aha! I caught one!

[She reels in an old boot]

Amy: Oh, so this is where you shop for your boots.

[Later...]

Leela: Bingo! Whatever it is it's 20 times heaver than a boot!

[She reels in a crate: Boots - 10 Pairs]
Silvan

Xane T. wrote:

It's like that episode of Futurama...

Yup. I think I remember that. I used to like that show back when I used to
watch TV. Is it still on?

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Xane T.

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 23:53:26 -0600, Morris Dovey
wrote:

If you like those, you might also like the diamond grit metal
cutoff wheels.

Be careful with these. Dremel used to make their own metal cutoffs and
micro saw blade attatchments, but stopped making them due to
liability. They can only be found via third party manufacturers, hobby
shops tend to have huge assortments of dremel accessories. Though I
think I did see an official dremel saw blade attatchment that came out
recently, but it was really small.
Charles Krug

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 12:12:27 -0500, Silvan
wrote:
Xane T. wrote:

It's like that episode of Futurama...

Yup. I think I remember that. I used to like that show back when I
used to watch TV. Is it still on?

Cartoon Networks "Adult Swim," 11p S-Th.

Norman D. Crow

wrote:

If you like those, you might also like the diamond grit metal
cutoff wheels.

Be careful with these. Dremel used to make their own metal cutoffs and
micro saw blade attatchments, but stopped making them due to
liability. They can only be found via third party manufacturers, hobby
shops tend to have huge assortments of dremel accessories. Though I
think I did see an official dremel saw blade attatchment that came out
recently, but it was really small.

Dremel has a neat little saw blade attachment that has a slight ~15° bend in
it so the motor portion is up away from the surface. Little pricey though.

--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

Tom Watson

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 17:30:21 GMT, Unisaw A100
wrote:

Tom Watson wrote:
snippage of a rather good list.

Add, sea monkeys.

UA100

Man, you said that and didn't I just run into a bunch of Sea Monkeys
today.

Pix on ABPW.

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 (webpage)
Keith

wrote:

Tim Douglass wrote:

the most minor of service on the car - mostly because I've already got
several 5 gallon pails of used oil lying around. I never seem to get
around to putting it into 1 gallon jugs and taking it down to the
recycling depot. All the other recycling is either curbside pickup or

I just did it, FINALLY, when one of my jugs sprung a leak somehow and got
oil all over the place.

I have no idea how much liquid one of those cat litter jugs hold, but I'd
say 1.5 to 2 gallons, probably. I had about 30 of them. It took me half
the day to pour all of them into the hole.

at the drop-site just across the road. Only oil has to travel to the
far side of town.

Not worth it.

Yeah, can't just pour it on the driveway anymore.

Um. Not that I ever did that.

Or into the storm drain at the end of the driveway... Not that that's
what my father taught me to do all those years ago...

And no, I DON'T still do that...

-Keith

ebay sucks big time anthony james UK diy 1 July 30th 04 07:28 PM
OT-John Kerry Gunner Metalworking 137 February 11th 04 07:38 PM
OT - Gunner Quote Cliff Huprich Metalworking 183 January 27th 04 09:20 AM