Dave Hinz

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 19:32:30 -0000, Ron Bean wrote:

There's a recycling company in Madison Wis that takes old
computer gear from the public twice a year (the rest of the time
they only want corporate stuff that comes in on pallets).
$5 charge for monitors and laptops (limit 2). I've dumped a bunch of
"stuff that's too big to store" with them over the last few years.

I'm 20 minutes from Madison. Do you have contact info for them?
I can wrangle a pallet, no problems there...

Thanks,
Dave Hinz
Mike Marlow

wrote in message
oups.com...
Do you have a picture of these heavy duty pegs that you can put
somewhere with a link to it? I don't know what you mean by "heavy
duty" pegs.

Sorry, don't have any pictures. My pegs are 1/4 inch pegs. Most of them
are the type that either have the metal plate attached to the back end of
the peg with somewhat sharp points that hook in behind the board, or they
are the type that are simply the 1/4 inch peg, bent to fit into two holes in
the pegboard. Both of these types stay in quite well.

I have some of the types that use the plastic piece that hooks into the
board and the peg then just sits into the plastic part, but I don't care
much for those. They do come out easily. I'm not sure if I'm helping you
at all with this explanation.

--

-Mike-

Silvan

Dave Hinz wrote:

See, that's the thing. Horizontal space is a problem in my shop, there's
not enough of it, and what's there is full of stuff.

Amen.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Silvan

Dave Hinz wrote:

I'm feeling better about this all the time. Although, I think we're just
...what's the term... enabling each other to continue to not clean the
shop up, but I'm not sure that can be helped.

You enabler you!

Yeah, because what could possibly go wrong? Actually, I've got about 3
monitors in the shop that are "too good to throw out, to fuzzy to use",
that I really, really should just get rid of. But, where do you get rid
of a monitor these days? I'd rather not just dumpster them, y'know?
All that (a) good scrap material, and (b) hazardous chemicals.

Don't shoot'em with a BB gun. DAMHIKT.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Rkola

One of the handiest things I did was to run a french cleat around 3 walls of
my shop to hang cabinets. The cabinets have a slot in each side to allow
getting them over the wall mounted half of the cleat, and I'm able to easily
relocate them when I rearrange the shop. I made extra lengths of the cleat, and
use them to put up various storage racks - clamp rack, saw blade hangers,
holding fixtures for jigs, etc. Now if I could only get the discipline to put
things back in the cabinet, or on the storage racks as I finish using them..

Ron Kolakowski.

Phisherman

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 11:12:53 -0600, Phil wrote:

I've always struggled with organization, but after 30 years a few hings
are starting to come around. I have a large area of pegbboard that has
been under utilized. Years ago I organized all my clamps in one area of
pegboard, made sense. Last year, I realized another area of pegboard
would make sense with grouping measuring tools. i.e. rules, squares,
levels. This morning I think hand cutting, saws, chisels, shears, saw
blades.
I'm to old to wait another 30 years, what ideas are out there for shop
organization?

I found that having the tools close to the bench is very convenient.
I built fold-away cabinets that hold a lot of tools close by. Tools I
use less often go into drawers. I like pegboards, but build custom
tool holders using "L" hooks that hook into the pegboard.
Rob V

All that (a) good scrap material, and (b) hazardous chemicals.

Don't shoot'em with a BB gun. DAMHIKT.

LOL - All I can say is WHAT!!!!! What else can you do at 18 and a bb gun
and the monitor just sitting there

Too funny!!!

Edwin Pawlowski

"Phisherman" wrote in message

I found that having the tools close to the bench is very convenient.

So do I. Seems like most end up ON the bench though. I do have a couple of
sets of drawers from Lee Valley. They hold my sandpaper, some measuring
tools, chisels and assorted small stuff. A couple of Tupperware boxes
about 5 x 5 x 1 hold screwdriver bits, countersink bits, other small stuff
that I use frequently. Pegboard holds other hand tools, sanders are plugged
in and under the bench. One with 120 grit, the other 220 grit.

Router table has two drawers for all the bits and accessories for it.

In the next few weeks I'm going to re-do my bench. That means everything
must be moved so it will be easier to organize as I put things back. The
bench will also be narrower so I can utilize the wall behind it that I
cannot now reach.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

mac davis

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 03:50:51 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

[...]

After building 3 sets of drawers and planning a couple of cabinets, I
ended up buying 100 rare earth magnets for $20 and hanging the stuff
that I use most often..
Hammers and heavy stuff go on the side of the "hardware bin cabinet",
most small saws, paint can openers, rulers, allen keys, etc. hang on a
3' x 30" frame of 3/4 pipe over the work bench..
I find that if I can find the stuff that I use a lot, the rest of the
junk seems to stay out of my way, pretty much.. *g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Rick

Dave Hinz wrote:
On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 19:32:30 -0000, Ron Bean wrote:

There's a recycling company in Madison Wis that takes old
computer gear from the public twice a year (the rest of the time
they only want corporate stuff that comes in on pallets).
$5 charge for monitors and laptops (limit 2). I've dumped a bunch of
"stuff that's too big to store" with them over the last few years.

I'm 20 minutes from Madison. Do you have contact info for them?
I can wrangle a pallet, no problems there...

Thanks,
Dave Hinz

Here in Waukesha, WI we have garbage pick-up every Tuesday in my
neighborhood. This include large items. A friend of mine moved
recently and had 4 old computers, three dead monitors and 2 dot matrix
printers. He just put them on the curb and gone no questions asked.

Thanks
Rick

John

Sounds roughly like the system in this months issue of The Family Handyman.
Checkout the garage system they created,
http://www.rd.com/familyhandyman/art...ontentId=5 85

John

"Rkola" wrote in message
One of the handiest things I did was to run a french cleat around 3 walls
of
my shop to hang cabinets. The cabinets have a slot in each side to allow
getting them over the wall mounted half of the cleat, and I'm able to
easily
relocate them when I rearrange the shop. I made extra lengths of the
cleat, and
use them to put up various storage racks - clamp rack, saw blade hangers,
holding fixtures for jigs, etc. Now if I could only get the discipline to
put
things back in the cabinet, or on the storage racks as I finish using
them..

Ron Kolakowski.

Dave Hinz

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 21:32:54 -0500, Silvan wrote:
Dave Hinz wrote:

I'm feeling better about this all the time. Although, I think we're just
...what's the term... enabling each other to continue to not clean the
shop up, but I'm not sure that can be helped.

You enabler you!

OK, fine. Look, dammit, Silvan. Tonight, we'll both go into our
respective shops, and put or throw away one dozen items. (I figure
we repeat this for a decade, I'll find my freaking Fluke meter that I
need).

Yeah, because what could possibly go wrong? Actually, I've got about 3
monitors in the shop that are "too good to throw out, to fuzzy to use",
that I really, really should just get rid of. But, where do you get rid
of a monitor these days? I'd rather not just dumpster them, y'know?
All that (a) good scrap material, and (b) hazardous chemicals.

Don't shoot'em with a BB gun. DAMHIKT.

It's not any more impressive with a .30-06 - it just stops working.
The 12-gauge on the fax/scanner/printer Canon POS was fun, though.

Dave Hinz

Dave Hinz

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 06:43:49 GMT, Rick wrote:

Here in Waukesha, WI we have garbage pick-up every Tuesday in my
neighborhood. This include large items. A friend of mine moved
recently and had 4 old computers, three dead monitors and 2 dot matrix
printers. He just put them on the curb and gone no questions asked.

I take I-94 to and from work every day, through Waukesha. Tuesdays,
you say?

Do they still do the large-item free-shopping (I mean, garbage pickup)
twice a year? Any idea when that is?

Dave "Gotta get rid of some of the stuff I picked up a decade ago" Hinz
Silvan

Rob V wrote:

All that (a) good scrap material, and (b) hazardous chemicals.

Don't shoot'em with a BB gun. DAMHIKT.

LOL - All I can say is WHAT!!!!! What else can you do at 18 and a bb
gun and the monitor just sitting there

When I was moving out of my first apartment, I left behind the first monitor
I ever called my own (instead of Dad's.) It was some real POS with lots
and lots of problems, and I was moving from a place with huge storage to a
place with one half sized closet (and more living space) so I had to get
rid of my little memento.

I shot it repeatedly, even went so far as to pump the gun three times more
than the recommended number and shoot it at point blank range. Nothing. I
put it in the dumpster and threw bricks at it. Nothing. Those CRTs are
actually pretty hard to smash.

Ah, the stupidity of youth. Being immortal was fun.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Brian Henderson

On 30 Dec 2004 16:45:10 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

Do they still do the large-item free-shopping (I mean, garbage pickup)
twice a year? Any idea when that is?

I wish they'd have a free large-item pickup around here. When we
replaced our sofa, a friend said they were going to pick the old one
up so we left it outside next to the garage and it was gone the next
day. It wasn't until a couple weeks later that we found that someone
else had taken it out into the orange groves and slept on it or
something and it's since gotten rained on and ruined. It's too bad
because it was a nice, nearly new piece of furniture.

Now I'm stuck with this thing I have to get rid of but don't feel like
renting a truck and dragging down to the dump.

Owen Lawrence

I shot it repeatedly, even went so far as to pump the gun three times more
than the recommended number and shoot it at point blank range. Nothing.

put it in the dumpster and threw bricks at it. Nothing. Those CRTs are
actually pretty hard to smash.

Ah, the stupidity of youth. Being immortal was fun.

You need to surprise them from behind. Take off the case (and try not to
kill yourself) and shoot the back of it where it's a lot weaker. Way fun if
you float it (just the CRT) out in a pond, too.

- Owen -

Silvan

Dave Hinz wrote:

You enabler you!

OK, fine. Look, dammit, Silvan. Tonight, we'll both go into our
respective shops, and put or throw away one dozen items. (I figure
we repeat this for a decade, I'll find my freaking Fluke meter that I
need).

And I'll find that damn glue gun. Though I've already forgotten what I was
going to use the glue gun for.

Don't shoot'em with a BB gun. DAMHIKT.

It's not any more impressive with a .30-06 - it just stops working.
The 12-gauge on the fax/scanner/printer Canon POS was fun, though.

I'll have to try that.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Rick

Dave Hinz wrote:
On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 06:43:49 GMT, Rick wrote:

Here in Waukesha, WI we have garbage pick-up every Tuesday in my
neighborhood. This include large items. A friend of mine moved
recently and had 4 old computers, three dead monitors and 2 dot matrix
printers. He just put them on the curb and gone no questions asked.

I take I-94 to and from work every day, through Waukesha. Tuesdays,
you say?

Do they still do the large-item free-shopping (I mean, garbage pickup)
twice a year? Any idea when that is?

Dave "Gotta get rid of some of the stuff I picked up a decade ago" Hinz

They do not do the large item pick up twice a year. They do it weekly
(We must get something out of the high property taxes that we pay).
However which day that is depends on what neighborhood you live in.
Silvan

Owen Lawrence wrote:

Ah, the stupidity of youth. Being immortal was fun.

You need to surprise them from behind. Take off the case (and try not to
kill yourself) and shoot the back of it where it's a lot weaker. Way fun
if you float it (just the CRT) out in a pond, too.

Yeowch! It cost me 37 stitches when I stepped on that thing. That was YOU?

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Silvan

Brian Henderson wrote:

On 30 Dec 2004 16:45:10 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

Do they still do the large-item free-shopping (I mean, garbage pickup)
twice a year? Any idea when that is?

I wish they'd have a free large-item pickup around here. When we
replaced our sofa, a friend said they were going to pick the old one

They do here, twice a year. Furniture, old appliances, entire trees. They
keep coming back all week if you put more out too. It's pretty sweet.
Finally getting at least SOMETHIGN for my tax dollars dammit.

Now I'm stuck with this thing I have to get rid of but don't feel like
renting a truck and dragging down to the dump.

If your dump is like mine, it might be worth the trip. That lady in the
little scale office is one of the most drop dead gorgeous wimminz I've ever
laid eyes on. She looks kind of similar to Angie Everheart. I'm always
like WTF are you doing working at the dump instead of on the cover of
Cosmo? Sweet as she can be too. Amazing considering the rabble she deals
with all day.

(Hey, I'm a truck driver. I *know* what kind of crap she must have to put
up with every day.)

(And no, I *don't* talk to ladies like that. Even if the "ladies" are
hookers or crack whores or whatever. They're still ladies, dammit, and I'm
a gentleman.)

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Mark Jerde

Silvan wrote:

And I'll find that damn glue gun. Though I've already forgotten what
I was going to use the glue gun for.

Pegboard? Gluing the hooks in? ;-)

-- Mark

Owen Lawrence

"Silvan" wrote in message
Owen Lawrence wrote:

Ah, the stupidity of youth. Being immortal was fun.

You need to surprise them from behind. Take off the case (and try not

kill yourself) and shoot the back of it where it's a lot weaker. Way

fun
if you float it (just the CRT) out in a pond, too.

Yeowch! It cost me 37 stitches when I stepped on that thing. That was

YOU?

Sorry. I thought everyone knew they let raw sewage into that pond; I just
assumed nobody would ever go in there.

- Owen -

Silvan

Mark Jerde wrote:

Silvan wrote:

And I'll find that damn glue gun. Though I've already forgotten what
I was going to use the glue gun for.

Pegboard? Gluing the hooks in? ;-)

Right. Now what was I looking for again?

I did finally get the back of that new Veritas iron for my #6 lapped and
sharpened. It only took five days.

The worst part of this whole ordeal was that I was off and at home and it
was GORGEOUS weather. 50 degrees, 60 degrees. I haven't hardly worn
anything heavier than long johns and a flannel shirt all week, even at
night.

And I spent the week cleaning house and sitting in hospital room.

Sigh.

(Weather matters because my shop is just a crappy little shed. Inadequate
heat, no air conditioning. This is perfect weather.)

Oh well. Some things are more important. I haven't fired off the official
notice yet, but she's home now. Has these bags in her for six weeks. Oh
joy, oh goody. Nothing says love like draining a nice juicy bag of fresh
warm bile. Yerk.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Silvan

Owen Lawrence wrote:

kill yourself) and shoot the back of it where it's a lot weaker. Way

fun
if you float it (just the CRT) out in a pond, too.

Yeowch! It cost me 37 stitches when I stepped on that thing. That was

YOU?

Sorry. I thought everyone knew they let raw sewage into that pond; I
just assumed nobody would ever go in there.

So THAT'S why it got so infected!

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Mark Jerde

Silvan wrote:

Oh joy, oh goody. Nothing says love like draining a nice
juicy bag of fresh warm bile. Yerk.

OTOH it's not necessarily that much different from putting up with something
that complains, corrects, berates, harasses, harangues, belittles and bleeds
several days a month but doesn't die... ;-)

-- Mark

Charlie Self

Silvan writes:

And I spent the week cleaning house and sitting in hospital room.

Sigh.

(Weather matters because my shop is just a crappy little shed. Inadequate
heat, no air conditioning. This is perfect weather.)

Oh well. Some things are more important. I haven't fired off the official
notice yet, but she's home now. Has these bags in her for six weeks. Oh
joy, oh goody. Nothing says love like draining a nice juicy bag of fresh
warm bile. Yerk.

Michael, Michael, Michael. Just be delighted she doesn't have a colostomy bag
for you to help with.

Charlie Self
"A politician is an animal which can sit on a fence and yet keep both ears to
the ground." H. L. Mencken
Ron Bean

Dave Hinz writes:

There's a recycling company in Madison Wis that takes old
computer gear from the public twice a year...

I'm 20 minutes from Madison. Do you have contact info for them?

I finally remembered the name: Cascade Asset Management
http://www.cascade-assets.com/

According to their website, they'll accept stuff from the public
any time, but normally they charge a fee for it. The next "free"
roundup is in April ("free" means they still charge $5 for monitors).

http://www.cascade-assets.com/individual/dropoff.htm
http://www.cascade-assets.com/individual/roundup.htm

Brian Henderson

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 00:01:03 -0500, Silvan
wrote:

They do here, twice a year. Furniture, old appliances, entire trees. They
keep coming back all week if you put more out too. It's pretty sweet.
Finally getting at least SOMETHIGN for my tax dollars dammit.

They did it here too. They used to send out notices a month ahead of
time to let everyone know when they were going to send the trucks
around, now... they haven't done it in a couple years. They used to
send around a truck to pick up Christmas trees 2 weeks after Christmas
too, they don't do that anymore either.

If your dump is like mine, it might be worth the trip. That lady in the
little scale office is one of the most drop dead gorgeous wimminz I've ever
laid eyes on. She looks kind of similar to Angie Everheart. I'm always
like WTF are you doing working at the dump instead of on the cover of
Cosmo? Sweet as she can be too. Amazing considering the rabble she deals
with all day.

It's more a matter of not having time or enough stuff to really make
it worth the trip. The dump is relatively close, but getting a truck
for one thing seems to be a bit of a waste to me.

Dave Hinz

On 01 Jan 2005 10:19:39 GMT, Charlie Self wrote:
Silvan writes:

And I spent the week cleaning house and sitting in hospital room.

Sigh.

(Weather matters because my shop is just a crappy little shed. Inadequate
heat, no air conditioning. This is perfect weather.)

Oh well. Some things are more important. I haven't fired off the official
notice yet, but she's home now. Has these bags in her for six weeks. Oh
joy, oh goody. Nothing says love like draining a nice juicy bag of fresh
warm bile. Yerk.

Michael, Michael, Michael. Just be delighted she doesn't have a colostomy bag
for you to help with.

Is this the right time to tell the joke about the prostitute with the
colostomy, who was making a little money on the side?

Dave "Nope, didn't think so." Hinz

Dave Hinz

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 20:25:14 -0000, Ron Bean wrote:

Dave Hinz writes:

There's a recycling company in Madison Wis that takes old
computer gear from the public twice a year...

I'm 20 minutes from Madison. Do you have contact info for them?

I finally remembered the name: Cascade Asset Management
http://www.cascade-assets.com/

Excellent. Thanks, I'll get ahold of them.

Dave Hinz

Keith

Sears used to sell some excellent pegboard hooks/hangers. They were designed
so the bottom part firmly fit into the pegboard and I never ever had one
fall out. They came in a box of about 25 - several shapes available. Sadly,
the last time I was in the US store where I got the others they informed
they don't carry them any more. What a pain.

Recently I was hauling a load of stuff to the dump and among the junk was a
kids workbench. On the small pegboard were four hangers, red in color and
firmly in place. I removed them and now use them on my own pegboard...They
were very sturdy, probably because of the specs placed on kids toy safety.
Wish I could get more of them too because not only do they stay in place but
the red looks great :O) I think Mattel or some other major mfr made it.

Anyone know of another source for the kind I'm talking about - The bottom
part of the pegs was split.

Keith P.

Al Palmer

I had pegboard in two previous home shops and always hated it. As
others have noted, the clips always came off, etc.. I vowed that
someday I would have something else. When we moved into our house ten
years ago I had room for a 20' x 35' shop in the basement. The house
design resulted in an alcove in the shop area. I built a set of open
cabinets with shelves that hold plastic bins for hardware for the
bottom of the alcove. Above them are three tool boards of 1/2" birch
ply wood. The tools are organized by function (measuring & marking,
screw and nut handling, edge cutting, hole making, etc.) Each tool
has a custom fitted maple fixture to hold it to the plywood. It works
great. I really enjoy making things and for a while wasn't working on
furniture so I made the fixtures. It was a challenge to design some
of the holders but all in all provided lots of good shop time.

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 11:12:53 -0600, Phil wrote:

I've always struggled with organization, but after 30 years a few hings
are starting to come around. I have a large area of pegbboard that has
been under utilized. Years ago I organized all my clamps in one area of
pegboard, made sense. Last year, I realized another area of pegboard
would make sense with grouping measuring tools. i.e. rules, squares,
levels. This morning I think hand cutting, saws, chisels, shears, saw
blades.
I'm to old to wait another 30 years, what ideas are out there for shop
organization?

gregg

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 11:12:53 -0600, Phil wrote:

I've always struggled with organization, but after 30 years a few hings
are starting to come around. I have a large area of pegbboard that has
been under utilized. Years ago I organized all my clamps in one area of
pegboard, made sense. Last year, I realized another area of pegboard
would make sense with grouping measuring tools. i.e. rules, squares,
levels. This morning I think hand cutting, saws, chisels, shears, saw
blades.
I'm to old to wait another 30 years, what ideas are out there for shop
organization?

My latest incarnation is to hang 1"x12"x24" pine boards with French cleats
and hang tool categories on each board. Some of the boards are 16" wide.
One board has wrenches/pliers. one has marking tools one will have chisels
etc.

--
Saville

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/backstaffhome.html

Restoration of my 82 year old Herreshoff S-Boat sailboat:

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/SBOATrestore.htm

Steambending FAQ with photos:

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/Steambend.htm

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 15:58:51 -0500, gregg wrote:

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 11:12:53 -0600, Phil wrote:

I've always struggled with organization, but after 30 years a few hings
are starting to come around. I have a large area of pegbboard that has
been under utilized. Years ago I organized all my clamps in one area of
pegboard, made sense. Last year, I realized another area of pegboard
would make sense with grouping measuring tools. i.e. rules, squares,
levels. This morning I think hand cutting, saws, chisels, shears, saw
blades.
I'm to old to wait another 30 years, what ideas are out there for shop
organization?

My latest incarnation is to hang 1"x12"x24" pine boards with French cleats
and hang tool categories on each board. Some of the boards are 16" wide.
One board has wrenches/pliers. one has marking tools one will have chisels
etc.

If I'm reading you right, that means you can reorganize the layout any
time you want just by moving the boards. Clever!

--RC
"Sometimes history doesn't repeat itself. It just yells
'can't you remember anything I've told you?' and lets
fly with a club.
-- John W. Cambell Jr.