DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How do you organize your shop? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/83498-how-do-you-organize-your-shop.html)

Phil December 28th 04 05:12 PM

How do you organize your shop?

I've always struggled with organization, but after 30 years a few hings
are starting to come around. I have a large area of pegbboard that has
been under utilized. Years ago I organized all my clamps in one area of
pegboard, made sense. Last year, I realized another area of pegboard
would make sense with grouping measuring tools. i.e. rules, squares,
levels. This morning I think hand cutting, saws, chisels, shears, saw
blades.
I'm to old to wait another 30 years, what ideas are out there for shop
organization?

loutent December 28th 04 07:13 PM

Hi Phil,

I feel your pain. My (almost) 20 year old shop is
still evolving. Currently, I am putting in some
hanging cabinets (as I build them). There is always
something to tear out & do over it seems. Total
Utopian organization is elusive.

The one thing that really bugs me tho is pegboard.
I have about (16 x3) feet of the stuff. I have tried
using the little clips and all sorts of gadgets, but
tools are always falling off. I am seriously thinking
of putting a sheet or two of 3/4 ply in place of
the pegboard (like Norm suggests).

Funny thing tho, SWMBO is always telling me how
happy I seem to be when I am building for or
reorganizing the workshop in some way.

Pretty observant of her.

Lou

Dave Jackson December 28th 04 07:18 PM

LOL! I guess I don't! I'm on vacation this week and have spent the last
two days re-organizing everything to make room for a DC and mortising
machine. I have a 2 1/2 car shop and thus far have a preferred layout for
some things, but can't decide on some others. For example, my table saw is
almost centered in the shop with the jointer off to the left side. My TS
has a 50" fence, so the right end of the table holds my planer. In front of
the TS I have a 5' router table that also serves as an outfeed table for the
TS. This arrangement seems to work best for me. I got 4 2'x4' steel
rolling cabinets with laminate tops from a school auction several years ago
that provide a good amount of storage and counter space. The lathe, band
saw, and drill press are all along the back wall with cabinets in between
each that house the accessories needed for each machine. The walls in the
shop are 8', so I ran split sheets of drywall (2' x 8') on the top and
bottom, with the 4' in between filled with pegboard. This worked well, lots
of storage on the walls, and little material waste. After spending most of
the day today just cleaning up the plethora of rags, sandpaper, drill bits,
hand tools etc, off of all the flat surfaces in the shop, I'd say my biggest
problem is KEEPING it organized! --dave

Dave Jackson December 28th 04 07:23 PM

snipI have tried
using the little clips and all sorts of gadgets, but
tools are always falling off.

Try the "heavy duty" pegboard clips. They can be a real PITA to get into
the pegboard, but they stay put. I ditched all the "light duty" ones for the
same reason, they always fell off. --dave

"loutent" wrote in message
Hi Phil,

I feel your pain. My (almost) 20 year old shop is
still evolving. Currently, I am putting in some
hanging cabinets (as I build them). There is always
something to tear out & do over it seems. Total
Utopian organization is elusive.

The one thing that really bugs me tho is pegboard.
I have about (16 x3) feet of the stuff. I am seriously thinking

Bob Schmall December 28th 04 07:27 PM

"Phil" wrote in message
I've always struggled with organization, but after 30 years a few hings
are starting to come around. I have a large area of pegbboard that has
been under utilized. Years ago I organized all my clamps in one area of
pegboard, made sense. Last year, I realized another area of pegboard
would make sense with grouping measuring tools. i.e. rules, squares,
levels. This morning I think hand cutting, saws, chisels, shears, saw
blades.
I'm to old to wait another 30 years, what ideas are out there for shop
organization?

Please explain the word, "organization."

Swingman December 28th 04 07:32 PM

"Bob Schmall" wrote in message

Please explain the word, "organization."

LOL ... reminds me of the one about the newscaster that asked a Texan, a
Californian, and a New Yorker the question: "Excuse me, but do you know
anything about the beef shortage?".

The Texan said: "What's a 'shortage'?"; the Californian said: "What's
'beef'?"; and the New Yorker said: "Whets 'excuse me'?".

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

[email protected] December 28th 04 07:55 PM

I think we all would be bored if we finally got it perfect and there
wasn't anything to do. I know I would.

I have a couple of anemic pegboards that I have used for 30 years and
have never been satisfied. When I started to read about your pegboard,
I immediately thought, "I wonder if he has solved the problem of the
hooks always coming off, etc". The answer was no. I don't think
pegboard is a very good answer. I guess this begs the question: What
is the overall best storage method?

Tool Chest
Pros: Nice and organized, dust free.
Cons: Have to dig for tool you want. Always seems like the tool is
too big or too small and their is either too much or too little room.

Clear plastic storage boxes/drawers:
Pros: Cheap. Good for holding screws.
Cons: Always having to re-arrange them when I want to put a different
size between two anothers.
Not smooth in opening and closing (at least mine aren't).
Not often easy to see item in drawer. Some not easy to label.

Baby food jars on ferris wheel or carousel type holder:
Pros: Has Worked for screws, nails, miscellaneous hardware for 30
years. Takes very little room and in places that normally would not be
useful anyway. Easy to see contents. Not necessary therefore to label

Cons: Takes a little time to build. Good luck in finding the good
screw-on type baby food jars today

Ball jars on ferris wheel or carousel type holder:
Pros: Takes a lot larger screws, nails and other hardware.
Takes very little room and in places that normally would not be useful
anyway. Easy to see contents. Not necessary therefore to label (I do,
however, for screw sizes)
Cons: Takes a little time to build. Cost of Ball Jars seems low until
you have about 60 of them. This contraption is HEAVY and you need to
balance the weight.

Low cost (polypropylene?) drawer set like sold at Target:
Pros: Low cost. Keeps dust off of tools you might keep out otherwise.
Can put anywhere you have floor space. Most have casters if you want
to move them. Large variety of drawer sizes.
Cons: Probably won't last for years (but they have been OK for me so
far). Not the best presentation ever thought of (but who cares if they
work?!). Sometimes overlook them and forget where I have put something
(Oops, guess that is my fault, not the drawer's fault).

Norm Abram's router table with bit holding drawers:
Pros: Best darned storage for router bits (why don't the commercial
router cabinets use them mor often instead of just doors)
Cons: Can't think of any except that there is some extra time needed to
build them.

Workbench Shelf made of 3/4 inch dowels:
Pros: Holds tools (such as planes) in plain site but allows dust to
fall through dowels.
Cons: Let some tools fall through also. Dust does not fall through
planes, so they get dusty. However, you should be using them often
enough that that does not happen (right?).

Anyone else have a list?

Silvan December 28th 04 08:18 PM

Bob Schmall wrote:

I'm to old to wait another 30 years, what ideas are out there for shop
organization?

Please explain the word, "organization."

I have heard the term "organization," but I can't understand what "shop
organization" is supposed to mean. Those two words side by side make no
sense, like saying, oh, "kitchen jubilation" or something. Please explain.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Dave Hinz December 28th 04 08:21 PM

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 15:18:09 -0500, Silvan wrote:
Bob Schmall wrote:

I'm to old to wait another 30 years, what ideas are out there for shop
organization?

Please explain the word, "organization."

I have heard the term "organization," but I can't understand what "shop
organization" is supposed to mean. Those two words side by side make no
sense, like saying, oh, "kitchen jubilation" or something. Please explain.

I _think_ he's talking about what the shop looks like after you clean
it up so you can walk to the tools again? Not sure. In my case, it
means "don't store that monitor under the milling machine because the
chips will become a problem".

Dave "Anyone want to buy a used monitor (as-is)?" Hinz

Pat Barber December 28th 04 08:33 PM

After 7 years of moving crap all over the shop,
I think drawers are the answer to all the world's
problems...

I built Norm's miter saw station and I have filled
that sucker up in every single drawer.

Next project...more drawers !!!!

Norman D. Crow December 28th 04 08:42 PM

"Silvan" wrote in message
Bob Schmall wrote:

I'm to old to wait another 30 years, what ideas are out there for shop
organization?

Please explain the word, "organization."

I have heard the term "organization," but I can't understand what "shop
organization" is supposed to mean. Those two words side by side make no
sense, like saying, oh, "kitchen jubilation" or something. Please

explain.

Isn't "shop organization" actually an oxymoron?

--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

Phil December 28th 04 09:13 PM

Bob Schmall wrote:

I'm to old to wait another 30 years, what ideas are out there for shop
organization?

Please explain the word, "organization."

I was hoping somebody would have an answer, I sure don't.

Phil December 28th 04 09:15 PM

The one thing I would add, is those cheap Zip plastic food containers keep
making more of a show, especially the sandwich size. One of these days I'm
going to make a shelving unit to store a bunch of them so they are
individually accessable.

Phil

Duane Bozarth December 28th 04 09:16 PM

Phil wrote:

Bob Schmall wrote:

I'm to old to wait another 30 years, what ideas are out there for shop
organization?

Please explain the word, "organization."

I was hoping somebody would have an answer, I sure don't.

Last (?) FWW had an article -- one of the key points was that it doesn't
make so much of a difference as to the "how", just have someplace
specific for everything. The other suggestion was to pick up at least
10 items and put them away before beginning work each time one enters
the shop. And, to keep that from being too onerous initially, 10 items
can be as simple as 3 sockets left out, etc., count as three items. The
point being, obviously, if you do a little at a time, it's not such a
chore, and if there is a place for things, then it's easier to keep
organized once accomplished.

I've tried it, beginning to try to find the places to put stuff...

Dan December 28th 04 09:39 PM

On Tue 28 Dec 2004 11:12:53a, Phil wrote in
:

I'm to old to wait another 30 years, what ideas are out there for shop
organization?

I've found what works best for me is doing shop stuff until I can't find
the tool I'm looking for or until I don't have room to put something down,
whichever comes first. Then I spend a day putting everything back, during
which I usually say several times "So THAT'S where that went!" Sometimes
it's two days.

Then I either sharpen my edged tools because now I know where they all are,
or start doing shop stuff again.

I agree with Pat, though. I need lots more drawers. Big ones and little
ones. Having totes and buckets and soft-side tool carriers is nice because
at least all the parts and accessories are all in the same place as the
tool, but now I need someplace to put the totes.

Charlie Self December 28th 04 10:39 PM

Norm Crow responds:

"Silvan" wrote in message
Bob Schmall wrote:

I'm to old to wait another 30 years, what ideas are out there for shop
organization?

Please explain the word, "organization."

I have heard the term "organization," but I can't understand what "shop
organization" is supposed to mean. Those two words side by side make no
sense, like saying, oh, "kitchen jubilation" or something. Please

explain.

Isn't "shop organization" actually an oxymoron?

You can organize a shop?

Charlie Self
"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder
respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind." George Orwell

Mike Marlow December 28th 04 10:58 PM

"Phil" wrote in message
I've always struggled with organization, but after 30 years a few hings
are starting to come around. I have a large area of pegbboard that has
been under utilized. Years ago I organized all my clamps in one area of
pegboard, made sense. Last year, I realized another area of pegboard
would make sense with grouping measuring tools. i.e. rules, squares,
levels. This morning I think hand cutting, saws, chisels, shears, saw
blades.
I'm to old to wait another 30 years, what ideas are out there for shop
organization?

All of the walls in my woodshop area are pegboard. Quite handy.
--

-Mike-

Jon Endres, PE December 28th 04 11:02 PM

Dunno if this will help, but my high school shop (this is +/- 20 years ago)
had a very large freestanding cabinet, about 4' wide, 8' high and 24" deep.
The front was two doors that were hinged at the center of each side of the
cabinet, so that when you opened it up, you basically had a center cabinet
4x8 x 12" deep and a pair of 2x8 x 12" deep cabinets hinged to each side.
(hope this makes sense). All of the shop's hand tools were stored in this
cabinet, and there must have been a few hundred different items. I would
say that if you have the room for one giant cabinet for all your tools (and
you can put pegboard etc. on the inside) and something like an old library
card catalog or apothecary cabinet for hardware, that will leave a lot of
room free in your shop and keep most of the dust off stuff.

sandman December 28th 04 11:44 PM

I don't!

Honestly I do NOT work for Festool, but look at this stuff. It is a
great way to organize a shop.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/festoolorgan.htm

but, as always, the stuff costs money. I have a few Systainers because I
get one every time I buy a tool from them. The bulk of my stuff is
stored in Ziploc food containers. I also like the polyethelene peanut
butter jars. I solved the 'falling pegboard hook' problem by squirting a
little hotmelt in the hole. A heat gun releases it again.

Owen Lawrence December 29th 04 12:20 AM

"Phil" wrote in message
I've always struggled with organization, but after 30 years a few hings
are starting to come around. I have a large area of pegbboard that has
been under utilized. Years ago I organized all my clamps in one area of
pegboard, made sense. Last year, I realized another area of pegboard
would make sense with grouping measuring tools. i.e. rules, squares,
levels. This morning I think hand cutting, saws, chisels, shears, saw
blades.
I'm to old to wait another 30 years, what ideas are out there for shop
organization?

My pegboard experience is limited to my father's shop. Somehow I never
liked it, so there's no pegboard in my own shop. My shop is in the
basement, which is small and I must share with laundry, storage, and a huge
freezer. But there are two general principles that I have applied with some
success. One is to use the third dimension, i.e. shelves. Really opens up
the space. The other is to locate the small tools (and jigs) closest to
where they'll be used. For example:

- Lathe chisels are in a cabinet hung just to the right of the lathe; the
door stays open when I'm turning. (I currently also store my planes, try
squares, and other nice tools in there. It's the wrong place for them
because it's a walk to the workbench. I just don't have any other good wall
space to hang the cabinet. My basement was arranged in a really stupid way,
by whoever built the house (which wasn't me).)
- Table saw wrench is stuck to magnets on the table saw. The crosscut sled
is either on the saw or sitting on the floor under one of the extension
wings. The table saw is on retractable wheels. Other sleds and jigs are on
the floor (elevated a bit in case of water) on the other side. I don't walk
there because there's a joist pole in that spot anyway.
- The drillpress is a big bench model but I built a stand for it with a
drawer. It's a big drawer and holds all things drillpress. The drillpress
stand is on retractable wheels.
- The workbench extends from the wall under the window. I can access three
sides of it. It is not on wheels but I've got a dolly I can put under one
end, and lifting the other end of the bench allows me to move it. I've got
three hammers hooked on one leg, and a brush and dustpan hooked on one end.
There's also a toolbox full of screwdrivers, pliers, and small things
sitting against the wall at the other end of the bench. Not perfect, but
seems to work well enough, and when I have to work on something outdoors, I
can usually just close the lid, grab it and go. I used to have all those
things hanging from a long board with custom holes for everything (in my
other house), but I think the box works better.
- The bandsaw is a huge home made thing and I don't have any accessories
for it. It's inbetween the bench and the table saw (backing against that
annoying pole). A 6" grinder is mounted on the back, and it's a short walk
from the lathe to it. The bandsaw is on fridge casters.
- The house came with built-in shelves, really crappy ones, that extend
both directions from the corner behind me when I'm standing in front of the
bench. I've got clamps clamped at each end. I've got a neoprene diamond
sharpening wheel motorized on one of these shelves, and it's handy for
touching up chisels right behind the bench where I'm making them dull. I've
also got a set of sturdy metal shelves and these hold most of my hardware
(screws, hinges, junk like that), and hand held power tools. The nails are
currently on another set of wooden shelves, but now that you've got me
thinking about this, I think I'm going to swap out some miscellaneous stuff
that's on those metal shelves and put the nails there.
- I'm building a router table right now, and I'm just about to start making
the retractable wheel mechanism. The bits, jigs, and other routers will be
stored in the cabinet underneath once it's all done.
- The @#$#@$* furnace is right in the middle of the room. What is wrong
with the people who install these things?!!!! I'm only tolerating the
situation; my wife and I plan to move somewhere else once the kids graduate
from high school. The furnace is the number one impediment to me ever
getting my workshop organized.

I have changed the way I've organized my workshop twice, so I'd have to say
the most important things are those wheels. If you've got them you can
think about reconfiguring for the job at hand. If you don't, you're less
likely to want to change. I've all but given up looking for the "correct"
way to organize, because just when I figure out what it should be, I start
building different things that require a different organization. Just don't
try to cram too many things into too small a space or you'll really limit
your options for change.

- Owen -

Silvan December 29th 04 01:25 AM

loutent wrote:

using the little clips and all sorts of gadgets, but
tools are always falling off. I am seriously thinking

And the stupid clips come off the board with the tool. Yeah, pegboard is
just not what it's cracked up to be.

Anyway, the trouble with organizing a shop is that it's a never-ending
process of figuring out a way to squeeze in more tools, more supplies, and
more scraps.

Bob Schmall December 29th 04 01:36 AM

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
Phil wrote:

Bob Schmall wrote:

[...]

Please explain the word, "retentive."

Mike Marlow December 29th 04 03:20 AM

"Silvan" wrote in message
loutent wrote:

using the little clips and all sorts of gadgets, but
tools are always falling off. I am seriously thinking

And the stupid clips come off the board with the tool. Yeah, pegboard is
just not what it's cracked up to be.

Anyway, the trouble with organizing a shop is that it's a never-ending
process of figuring out a way to squeeze in more tools, more supplies, and
more scraps.

Use heavy duty peg board and heavy duty pegs. They stay in place and they
hold a lot of weight. I got a bucket full of assorted pegs from a local
hardware store when they were changing over their display stuff and I don't
live with any problems from them coming off the board when I don't want.
--

-Mike-

ThJester99 December 29th 04 04:11 AM

There are little plastic clips that hold down peg hooks that span at least two
holes vertically(including the hole for the peg itslef). You cannot put two
hooks directly adjacent to each other, however you can put the ends of the
clips in the same hole, so a one hole space between hooks is possible. They
come in some of the kits at the borgs, and im sure they also come seperately.
The individual hooks are the ones i have the trouble with, the rail types, and
the double rail types usually stay in by themselves... anyhoo...
Jesse M

Doug Winterburn December 29th 04 04:32 AM

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 04:37:56 +0000, Dan wrote:

Yeah, you can buy them by the box. Can't remember where I got 'em. One of
the borgs, or Dorn or Ace. They really do make those hooks stay put.

How about a hot melt glue gun to keep those pesky hooks secure?

- Doug

Dan December 29th 04 04:54 AM

On Tue 28 Dec 2004 10:32:58p, Doug Winterburn
wrote in :

How about a hot melt glue gun to keep those pesky hooks secure?

- Doug

Well, every now and then I get a new tool and have to rearrange the pegs a
little...

Silvan December 29th 04 04:56 AM

Dan wrote:

whichever comes first. Then I spend a day putting everything back, during
which I usually say several times "So THAT'S where that went!" Sometimes
it's two days.

I've been working on it for three days now, and I still have 2/3 of my
workbench covered. At least I can see almost all of the floor now. I had
stuff piled up all over the place around things I hadn't used in awhile.

Then I either sharpen my edged tools because now I know where they all
are, or start doing shop stuff again.

LOL! I'm there. I've got every plane iron and chisel in the place laid out
with all my sharpening stuff. Gonna do a Sharpen Fest tomorrow or the day
after or whenever I steal enough time away from the hospital or my wife
gets home, whichever comes first.

Silvan December 29th 04 05:00 AM

Dave Hinz wrote:

I _think_ he's talking about what the shop looks like after you clean
it up so you can walk to the tools again? Not sure. In my case, it

Clean it up? Walk? I thought this was an English language newsgroup, but I
don't understand those words either.

means "don't store that monitor under the milling machine because the
chips will become a problem".

It's not like they have any electrical components or bigass magnets in them.
Should be just fine.

Doug Winterburn December 29th 04 05:49 AM

wrote in :

How about a hot melt glue gun to keep those pesky hooks secure?

- Doug

Well, every now and then I get a new tool and have to rearrange the pegs a
little...

That's what's OK with the hot melt - just stick the tip of the gun on the
old glue and soften it up to make changes.

- Doug

Nate Perkins December 29th 04 06:35 AM

Phil wrote in :

I've always struggled with organization, but after 30 years a few hings
are starting to come around. I have a large area of pegbboard that has
been under utilized. Years ago I organized all my clamps in one area of
pegboard, made sense. Last year, I realized another area of pegboard
would make sense with grouping measuring tools. i.e. rules, squares,
levels. This morning I think hand cutting, saws, chisels, shears, saw
blades.
I'm to old to wait another 30 years, what ideas are out there for shop
organization?

I hang my bar clamps vertically from a rack that's got custom slots for the
purpose (I think the idea came from ShopNotes or some such). The F-style
clamps just hang in sets of 4-5 on 6" long dowels that form another rack.
My pipe clamps are rarely used, but are stowed horizontally along the
bottom of the angle brackets that hold up my lumber. The clamp storage
works well.

The chisels and small squares hang on a magnetic rack, the backsaws rest on
their back spines on pegs in pegboard, and the larger or closed handled
saws are hung by their handles on pegs.

My handplanes rest in the large drawer of a rolling toolchest I have near
the workbench. Same with the cordless drill, screwdrivers, ROS, sandpaper.

I have a few boards of spalted maple that are looking for a use, and I
think that shortly I'll build a foldout wall cabinet to hold the handtools.

Silvan December 29th 04 08:36 AM

Doug Winterburn wrote:

How about a hot melt glue gun to keep those pesky hooks secure?

That's actually worth a try. Now has anyone seen my glue gun? I haven't
seen it since the '90s.

Dave Hinz December 29th 04 03:39 PM

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 15:16:13 -0600, Duane Bozarth wrote:

Last (?) FWW had an article -- one of the key points was that it doesn't
make so much of a difference as to the "how", just have someplace
specific for everything. The other suggestion was to pick up at least
10 items and put them away before beginning work each time one enters
the shop.

I should try that.

I've tried it, beginning to try to find the places to put stuff...

See, that's the thing. Horizontal space is a problem in my shop, there's
not enough of it, and what's there is full of stuff.

Dave Hinz December 29th 04 03:43 PM

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 00:00:05 -0500, Silvan wrote:
Dave Hinz wrote:

I _think_ he's talking about what the shop looks like after you clean
it up so you can walk to the tools again? Not sure. In my case, it

Clean it up? Walk? I thought this was an English language newsgroup, but I
don't understand those words either.

I'm feeling better about this all the time. Although, I think we're just
....what's the term... enabling each other to continue to not clean the
shop up, but I'm not sure that can be helped.

means "don't store that monitor under the milling machine because the
chips will become a problem".

It's not like they have any electrical components or bigass magnets in them.
Should be just fine.

Yeah, because what could possibly go wrong? Actually, I've got about 3
monitors in the shop that are "too good to throw out, to fuzzy to use",
that I really, really should just get rid of. But, where do you get rid
of a monitor these days? I'd rather not just dumpster them, y'know?
All that (a) good scrap material, and (b) hazardous chemicals.

Dave Hinz

Patriarch December 29th 04 06:22 PM

Dave Hinz wrote in
:

snip
Yeah, because what could possibly go wrong? Actually, I've got about
3 monitors in the shop that are "too good to throw out, to fuzzy to
use", that I really, really should just get rid of. But, where do you
get rid of a monitor these days? I'd rather not just dumpster them,
y'know? All that (a) good scrap material, and (b) hazardous chemicals.

In our, admittedly California, town, they are to be recycled. Usually,
there is a fee ($10), but, that having proved counterproductive(*), they
often have 'free days', when CRTs, televisions, computers and the like can
be dropped off at no charge.

One of my sons generally wants to scavenge something from my dead machines,
and it becomes his problem, until an amnesty day. But no land fill.

Patriarch

* stuff shows up tossed where stuff shouldn't be

Ron Bean December 29th 04 07:32 PM

Dave Hinz writes:

But, where do you get rid
of a monitor these days? I'd rather not just dumpster them, y'know?
All that (a) good scrap material, and (b) hazardous chemicals.

There's a recycling company in Madison Wis that takes old
computer gear from the public twice a year (the rest of the time
they only want corporate stuff that comes in on pallets).
$5 charge for monitors and laptops (limit 2). I've dumped a bunch of
"stuff that's too big to store" with them over the last few years.

There must be similar operations in other cities. A web search
for something like "computer recycling" and the name of the
nearest big city might turn something up.

Dan Jefferson December 29th 04 07:34 PM

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

"Phil" wrote in message
I've always struggled with organization, but after 30 years a few hings
are starting to come around. I have a large area of pegbboard that has
been under utilized. Years ago I organized all my clamps in one area of
pegboard, made sense. Last year, I realized another area of pegboard
would make sense with grouping measuring tools. i.e. rules, squares,
levels. This morning I think hand cutting, saws, chisels, shears, saw
blades.
I'm to old to wait another 30 years, what ideas are out there for shop
organization?

This past fall I moved shop from laundry room to garage. This move came
about for many reasons as you can imagine, however I now have more room
and don't require clean up as often. I tend to organize things a bit
different after each project I complete when I am putting things away
after each job. As such the shop is is in a constant state of change as
far as being organized. I rather like this idea as I used to be a bit
overly organized during my previous 30 years in the military. I do have
larger tools on casters and this allows for greater flexability. Peg
board, shelves racks, drawers all play some part in my attempt to
organize.

My 2 bits....Dan J