T.

Default CLOSE CALL - SMOKE ALARM IN THE SHOP?

A bit of unnecessary excitement today. Routing out a pattern, and
lunched the bearing on the router bit. No biggie, was about to just
call it quits for the day, and head back into the house. Then
remembered I had most of a cup of coffee left, and decided to sit and
finish it.

I had smelled something like smoke when I shut the router off, but
figured the neighbors were burning something again. Then saw what
looked like a little whisp of smoke. Looked again, nothing. Then
another. Couldn't see anything smoking. But, then finally looked
higher, then on a shelf was an old master, with some sawdust on the end.
And a black spot on the sawdust. And, a very thin stream of smoke.
Apparently the bid had tossed a hot piece of something when it died.
Had a bottle of water, for cleaning brushes, and proceeded to use some.
And, some more on a black spot I saw below where the master was. Just
in case. Sat for awhile looking for more smoke, but didn't see any.
And, again after I went to town and back.

I don't know what would have happened if I had came back in the
house. It could have gone out. It could have smouldered until I went
back out. It could have blazed up. I don't have a huge amount invested
in the shop and tools. Maybe $2,000 would replace shop and all, maybe a
bit more. But, $2,000 you don't have now, and probably won't for a long
time is a lot bigger than $2,000 you've got in the bank.

So, I'm wondering about a smoke alarm in the shop. I'd have to
have a battery operated, and the cold would sap the battery. No prob
about that, I could just check it every time I went out.

And, I probably won't be able to hear it inside the house. No prob
there, the noise would probably set the dog to barking, and I'd wind up
opening the door to holler at the dog, and hear the alarm.

But, then I got to thinking, all the dust in the shop would either
set the alarm off all the time, or kill it entirely. So, I'm wondering
if any of you have an alarm in your shop, and how do you get around the
dust problem?

The only thing that immediately pops into my mind, is make a cover
of some sort for it. Down side would be I'd probably forget to take the
cover off some time or another.

Next thing was keep it in a box when I was working. Basically
same, probably forget to take it out of the box.

The best thought so far, is make a box for it, paint it red, label
it SMOKE ALARM, and hang it right in front of the door, so it'll be very
hard to miss or forget. Then I could take it out of the box, and hang
it somewhere, maybe on the box itself.

That, and get a pump sprayer of some type to keep in the shop.
Maybe one of those little 2-5 gallon garden type sprayers, pressurized
with a hand pum. I've seen the smaller ones for arount $5.

Any successful thoughts?

JOAT
People think that professional soldiers think a lot about fighting, but
serious professional soldiers think a lot more about food and a warm
place to sleep, because these are two things that are generally hard to
get, whereas fighting tends to turn up all the time.
- General Friit

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT
Web Page Update 30 Nov 2003.
Some tunes I like.
http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofal...OMETUNESILIKE/

Bay Area Dave

what about a fire extinguisher instead of a sprayer. or do you enjoy
being electrocuted while fighting an electrical fire?

you were lucky to have averted disaster, JOAT.

have I had any "successful thoughts", you ask. Well, sure; when I
proposed to my wife. That's one. I'm sure there are others.

dave

T. wrote:

[...]

B a r r y B u r k e J r .

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 23:20:13 GMT, Bay Area Dave wrote:

what about a fire extinguisher instead of a sprayer. or do you enjoy
being electrocuted while fighting an electrical fire?

What he said.

Dry chem or CO2 is much better in the shop than water.

Barry
Bob S.

JOAT,

Look for a smoke alarm that is AC powered. I've seen some that have an AC
cord attached and ones you wire into a electrical box. While you may raise
a lot of dust when sanding and so on, I doubt it will be enough to set off
any alarms. Clean it once in awhile as the instructions suggest and you
should be good. I don't know what the temp range is on those units but it
should be good down to freezing I would think. Kidde, Firex and First Alert
make them. I know you're "Search Challenged", so I did some of the leg work
for you........;-)

http://www.consumersearch.com/www/ho...isonchart.html

http://www.kiddesafety.com/Home.shtml

http://www.firstalert.com

http://www.firex.invensys.com/

Bob S.

"T." wrote in message
[...]

yobosaeyo

Joat search challenged! Now that's a hoot!

There is a solution!"

http://www.giantcompany.com

.. .

"T." wrote in message
[...]

Silvan

T. wrote:

And, I probably won't be able to hear it inside the house. No prob
there, the noise would probably set the dog to barking, and I'd wind up
opening the door to holler at the dog, and hear the alarm.

I have no idea where they came from, but I have alarm bells in my house. I
don't know how they work either. I think there's a melt plug, like on
sprinkler systems. I was curious one day... Started poking around.
Pulled off a little aluminum tab on the bottom of one of those things.

Just about ****ed my pants when the bell went off. LOUD! I went out to the
shop and got my hearing protectors and a sledge hammer. I finally thought
about cutting the circuit breaker, and that did it. Cut off, and didn't
start back up. There's a plunger sticking out of the bottom now, and the
little aluminum thing won't go back on.

I should try to find out where those came from, and see about replacing it.
Something like that might be good for your shop too.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Sweet Sawdust

Get the battry operated smoke alarm and dust it out when it falses. don't
worry about the cold it won't hurt as much as heat. Get a box of baking
soda or two or three to dump on the fire, cheaper then the sprayer and
doesn't freeze. a little vinger dumped on the soda will create a nice CO2
cloud that will put out a lot of non electrical fires.

T.

Sun, Nov 30, 2003, 10:40pm (EST-1)
(Sweet=A0Sawdust) says:
Get the battry operated smoke alarm and dust it out when it falses.
don't worry about the cold it won't hurt as much as heat. Get a box of
baking soda or two or three to dump on the fire, cheaper then the
sprayer and doesn't freeze. a little vinger dumped on the soda will
create a nice CO2 cloud that will put out a lot of non electrical fires.

I'm going to stop by Ace tomorrow, and if nothing suitable there,
we now have a Wally World a mile or two up the road.

The baking soda and vineger isn't a bad idea. So, decided to
google a bit. This is only the first try.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=3Den...OMEMADE+FIRE+=
EXTINGUISHER%22

JOAT
People think that professional soldiers think a lot about fighting, but
serious professional soldiers think a lot more about food and a warm
place to sleep, because these are two things that are generally hard to
get, whereas fighting tends to turn up all the time.
- General Friit

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT
Web Page Update 30 Nov 2003.
Some tunes I like.
http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofal...OMETUNESILIKE/

Larry Bud

"Sweet Sawdust" wrote in message ...
Get the battry operated smoke alarm and dust it out when it falses. don't
worry about the cold it won't hurt as much as heat. Get a box of baking
soda or two or three to dump on the fire, cheaper then the sprayer and
doesn't freeze. a little vinger dumped on the soda will create a nice CO2
cloud that will put out a lot of non electrical fires.

What a mess. At HD yesterday, they have a small fire extinguisher for $10.
Al Reid

I had my close call on Saturday. While I was vacuuming the shop, I picked up an ember that had apparently fallen from the wood
stove. A few moments later smoke das coming from the shop vac exhaust port. Not, thinking, I popped the top of the vac and it
burst into flame. Fortunately, I purchased a set of fire extinguishers about a month ago. Came in real handy. The only damage was
to the filter.

--
Al Reid

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know
for sure that just ain't so." --- Mark Twain

"Larry Bud" wrote in message om...
"Sweet Sawdust" wrote in message ...
Get the battry operated smoke alarm and dust it out when it falses. don't
worry about the cold it won't hurt as much as heat. Get a box of baking
soda or two or three to dump on the fire, cheaper then the sprayer and
doesn't freeze. a little vinger dumped on the soda will create a nice CO2
cloud that will put out a lot of non electrical fires.

What a mess. At HD yesterday, they have a small fire extinguisher for $10.

Mark Jerde

T. wrote:

I run an outside power line to the shop, and plug it in when I'm
in there, and unplug it when I leave. First action with a real fire
would be unplug the power.

When I was a kid we had an extension cord burn itself up, all the way back
to the outlet on the utility pole. My dad wouldn't let anyone go over & try
to unplug it. I suggest you have at least one electrically-rated fire
extinguisher around. g I have three here, one each in the shop, the
kitchen, and the upstairs hallway. The kitchen extinguisher was used for
real once. SWMBO hasn't complained about the ugliness of the extinguisher
on the wall since. ;-)

-- Mark

T.

I stopped at Ace today, and got a smoke alarm. Didn't have time to
check out fire extinguishers, but one or two will get in the shop. Not
going to take the one out of the house.

I do have a switch for the power line, by the way, but leave it on,
and unplug the line. So, that's always an option to cut off power.
But, I've found, if I leave the line plgged in, and the switch off, I
sometimes forget to switch the power on, then it's a trip back to the
house to turn the power on. Don't care for that.

I may, or may not, get a Kidde extinguisher. Had one years back.
Used it, and when I tried to get it refilled, the extinguisher companies
around here wouldn't do it. Not becuause they couldn't, or the
extinguisher couldn't be refilled. They woulding because they said the
Kidde extinguishers wouldn't retain pressure for very long, so they
wouldn't do them. For a one-shot extinguisher, they're fine, hold
pressure, no prob. But, if you're thinking about getting one that is
refillable, might want to check to see if they've improved. Oh yeah,
the dry chem stuff will rapidly corrode metal, if it isn't cleaned off
quickly. Rubber too, as I recall.

JOAT
People think that professional soldiers think a lot about fighting, but
serious professional soldiers think a lot more about food and a warm
place to sleep, because these are two things that are generally hard to
get, whereas fighting tends to turn up all the time.
- General Friit

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT
Web Page Update 30 Nov 2003.
Some tunes I like.
http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofal...OMETUNESILIKE/

Bay Area Dave

the "one"?

I have 5 extinguishers in our house, including the shop.

time to upgrade your safety equipment JOAT, or one day were gonna log
onto the Wreck and everyone is gonna go, "where's JOAT?".

dave

T. wrote:
snip

Not
going to take the one out of the house.

Sweet Sawdust

"Larry Bud" wrote in message
om...
What a mess. At HD yesterday, they have a small fire extinguisher for

$10

Yes it does create a mess, but it meets two of Joats prime objectives, It
is cheap and has an acidic nature. A match made in heaven.

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 12:34:20 -0500, "Al Reid"
brought forth from the murky depths:

I had my close call on Saturday. While I was vacuuming the shop, I picked up an ember that had apparently fallen from the wood
stove. A few moments later smoke das coming from the shop vac exhaust port. Not, thinking, I popped the top of the vac and it
burst into flame. Fortunately, I purchased a set of fire extinguishers about a month ago. Came in real handy. The only damage was
to the filter.

Congrats on luck and quick thinking/action. Sooo, when does the
new style heater get installed?

Like peace and quiet? Buy a phoneless cord.
http://www/diversify.com/stees.html Hilarious T-shirts online

mttt

"T." wrote in message

Kidde extinguishers wouldn't retain pressure for very long, so they
wouldn't do them. For a one-shot extinguisher, they're fine, hold
pressure, no prob. But, if you're thinking about getting one that is

Yeah - have had several "pro firefighters" scoff at the Kidde's. But, in
general, having a Kidde brand is much more preferable to having nothing.
And they're cheap enough to have several.

Lew Hodgett

"mttt" writes:

Yeah - have had several "pro firefighters" scoff at the Kidde's. But, in
general, having a Kidde brand is much more preferable to having nothing.
And they're cheap enough to have several.

Right after cheap comes messy.

Kidde as well as other mfgs.

If you have ever had to try and clean up after using what is basically a
baking soda filled unit, you will know what I mean.

You will find a lot of 10B units on a boat.

They are low cost, basically last forever, if you remember to turn them
upside down and shake them every 6 months or so.

BUT, they create a mess that is almost as bad as trying to clean up after
the fire.

If you want to protect against fires as well as not damage your expensive
wood working tools, then consider a CO2 unit.

Won't damage your equipment as a 10B unit can, but then there is no
guarantee against stupidity.

HTH

--
Lew

Visit: http://home.earthlink.net/~lewhodgett for Pictures

Rich

Bay Area Dave wrote in message .com...
the "one"?

I have 5 extinguishers in our house

That's why your everybodies f***ing hero, dip****!

Bay Area Dave

you are truly a remarkable gentleman, Rich. I'm sure your folks are
proud of you, and support your literary achievements. Do they tape
copies of your posts to their refrigerator to show all their friends
what words you've learned in school? Is your trailer similarly anointed
with your efforts?

dave

Rich wrote:

Bay Area Dave wrote in message .com...

the "one"?

I have 5 extinguishers in our house

That's why your everybodies f***ing hero, dip****!

mttt

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
link.net...

"mttt" writes:

Right after cheap comes messy.
Kidde as well as other mfgs.

Yeppers! And the point about shaking them periodically is important. Seems
like a lot of the dry chem failures are attributable to powder compaction.
Been reading it's more apparent when the cannister is subject to vibration
(as when mounted in a car.)

If you have ever had to try and clean up after using what is basically a
baking soda filled unit, you will know what I mean.

My shop is in the garage in my house. Clean up and tool preservation is much
lower on the priority list. But, I do know since I've had to clean up one,
once.

If you want to protect against fires as well as not damage your expensive
wood working tools, then consider a CO2 unit.

Won't damage your equipment as a 10B unit can, but then there is no
guarantee against stupidity.

Interestingly enough - most new data centers have dumped Halon (for obvious
reasons) but now flood the stuff with water. And not, DI water either - but
plain ol' water from the City, in (hopefully) biblical proportions.

Henry St.Pierre

Bay Area Dave wrote in
. com:

Rich wrote:

Bay Area Dave wrote in message
.com...

the "one"?

I have 5 extinguishers in our house

That's why your everybodies f***ing hero, dip****!

Gee dave,
You have a way of inviting this ****. Are you truly that naive or are you,
as several have suggested, a troll? After reading a good portion of your
posts and responses (I can't read them all because they are so numerous
that I cant find the time), I feel you are either a very simple man, lead
an extremely boring life or just like to bust balls. Don't have a problem
with the busting balls part as I tend to do it myself.
I don't agree with the "hero part", but it seems you go out of your ay to
live up to the dip**** part. No offense meant.
Regards,
Hank

Bay Area Dave

you mind explaining to me what I said that prompted his off color
remark? all I mentioned were fire extinguishers and suggested that JOAT
get some. for that I should be boiled in oil? You are just as strange
as Rich. Thankfully the bulk of the folks here are not cut from the
same cloth as yourself. You DO make me glad I'm neither you nor Rich.
What a sad existence to find it necessary to hurl so many unjustified
insults. Try staying on topic for a change. The wreck has been quiet
lately as none of the miscreants have been up to their usual brick brat
hurling antics. You've just broken the peace. It's time to add you to
my meager list of two miscreants. (Course Rich is always a contender,
but he's gonna have to ramp up the rhetoric a bit before I pull the
cord). You gotta try really hard nowadays for me to give up on you, but
you managed, in one uncalled-for post, to push my button.

Don't bother to explain, as my first question asked, as I won't see you
again Henry not-so-saintly.

Sweet dreams.

dave

Henry St.Pierre wrote:

Bay Area Dave wrote in
. com:

Rich wrote:

Bay Area Dave wrote in message
igy.com...

the "one"?

I have 5 extinguishers in our house

That's why your everybodies f***ing hero, dip****!

Gee dave,
You have a way of inviting this ****. Are you truly that naive or are you,
as several have suggested, a troll? After reading a good portion of your
posts and responses (I can't read them all because they are so numerous
that I cant find the time), I feel you are either a very simple man, lead
an extremely boring life or just like to bust balls. Don't have a problem
with the busting balls part as I tend to do it myself.
I don't agree with the "hero part", but it seems you go out of your ay to
live up to the dip**** part. No offense meant.
Regards,
Hank

Andy Dingley

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 03:40:33 GMT, Bay Area Dave wrote:

that's fine if you don't mind inhaling phosgene gas!

You don't like the fresh smell of new-mown hay ?

Anyway, just avoid Halon 1011 or carbon tet (neither of which have
been used for decades) and you're pretty much OK. The other Halons are
much less toxic. As almost any fire in the modern world is likely to
involve burning plastics, then phosgene from your extinguisher is only
one of your worries. I certainly won't go near the engine bay of burnt
out modern cars - too many synthetic rubber seals that produce HF on
burning, and that's persistent long after the fire is out.

Greg O

"Bay Area Dave" wrote in message
. com...
that's fine if you don't mind inhaling phosgene gas!

No problem with phosgene gas. Put the fire out, air out the shop and go back
to work. no mess, no fuss. I have seriouslyu thought about buying a halon
extingisher for the shop. I had one a few years back and it saved the shop a
couple times.

I had an engine repair shop years back. One day my mechanic was trying to
get a chainsaw running. Throught the process he had spilled gasoline all
over the bench. Some how it got ignited. I reached over and gave it a shot
of halon and went back to work, not giving it a second thought. I moment or
two later I realized the mechanic was not doing anything, he was just
sitting on a nearby stool. Turns out he was slightly shaken by the brief
ordeal! He later got a laugh out of my lack of concern about the fire. I
just told him that after setting myself on fire a couple of years earlier, a
small fire did not shake me up any more!
(But that it another story!)
Greg

JLJ21710

"Bay Area Dave" wrote in message
Is your trailer similarly anointed with your efforts?

dave

Against my better judgements, I just have to comment. Putting aside
whatever beef you and Rich have against each other, what makes it OK to
castigate people because they live in a "trailer". What's next, your
generalized opinions on certain minorities or religious groups?

Jo

Bay Area Dave

I don't criticize anyone's religious beliefs, nor even discuss religion
on the Wreck. I also have no beef with any minorities. Apparently your
sense of humor (or lack thereof) must be a true impediment to enjoying a
joke. Avoid Letterman and Leno; you will be offended.

Now change out of that chenille robe, doff the curlers, sober up hubby
enough so's he can get that 18 wheeler rolling down the driveway without
taking out the mailbox, and start on your first six pack of the morning.

dave

JLJ21710 wrote:

"Bay Area Dave" wrote in message

Is your trailer similarly anointed with your efforts?

dave

Against my better judgements, I just have to comment. Putting aside
whatever beef you and Rich have against each other, what makes it OK to
castigate people because they live in a "trailer". What's next, your
generalized opinions on certain minorities or religious groups?

Jo

Bay Area Dave

oh, thanks Larry; I'd always been under the impression that any Halon
extinguisher would give off phosgene gas, same as when burning R12.
When did they improve them?

dave

Larry Silkaitis wrote:

The Halons are not toxic. The problem with them is that they displace
oxygen and that is why they can kill people.
Larry
"Andy Dingley" wrote in message

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 03:40:33 GMT, Bay Area Dave wrote:

that's fine if you don't mind inhaling phosgene gas!

You don't like the fresh smell of new-mown hay ?

Anyway, just avoid Halon 1011 or carbon tet (neither of which have
been used for decades) and you're pretty much OK. The other Halons are
much less toxic. As almost any fire in the modern world is likely to
involve burning plastics, then phosgene from your extinguisher is only
one of your worries. I certainly won't go near the engine bay of burnt
out modern cars - too many synthetic rubber seals that produce HF on
burning, and that's persistent long after the fire is out.

Andy Dingley

On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 18:08:14 GMT, "Larry Silkaitis"
wrote:

The Halons are not toxic.

Heat them and they are. But some are much worse than others.
JLJ21710

Avoid Letterman and Leno; you will be offended.

Dave,

Leno and Lettrman make jokes about individuals and groups who for one reason
or another have put themselves in the public eye. You made generalized
statements, not jokes, impling that all who live in modular housing are
trash. There's a big difference. Plus looking at some of your previous
posts, this isn't the first time you have done so. You are obviously a snob
and I feel you owe this group an apology.

Having disagreements with other people concerning tools is one thing but to
conclude that "Rich" must live in a trailer because he said something vulgar
to you is no different that saying that just because somebody is drunk, they
must be irish (or any other stereotype). It's nothing more the economic
prejudice. It doesn't belong here, even if you claim you were joking.

Jo

Bay Area Dave

if you CHOOSE to be offended, that's YOUR business. I'm not
apologizing. If you don't like my attitude, please feel free to plonk
me. In my very humble opinion, you are a thin-skinned redneck!

dave

JLJ21710 wrote:

[...]

Bay Area Dave

oh, I almost forgot. I have friends and have had relatives who live(d)
in mobile homes. I have nothing against them, whatsoever. AAMOF, I
almost bought one, but opted for a house, due to the appreciation of a
house, as opposed to depreciation on a mobile. All I've written has
been in jest, but you have a chip on your shoulder, so you've made so
erroneous assumptions. Again, feel free to plonk my irreverent, but not
malicious, self.

....and I'm sorry that you can't get married to yer sweetheart 'cause
there's a law against it.

Cheers!

dave

JLJ21710 wrote:

[...]

can't pass up usefull trash wallster Metalworking 152 August 7th 04 03:47 AM
Alarm advice with cats in mind. Mortimer UK diy 73 January 19th 04 08:39 AM
gas fire leak test andy smith UK diy 5 September 26th 03 10:28 PM
Question, home shop security systems Jon Anderson Metalworking 41 September 10th 03 12:53 AM