Chris

Default Dangerous Strippers in shop

Time for a good LOL

Some time ago my brother had to strip some furniture for his wife so
off to the shop we go. My brother never having stripped a thing in his
life pulls out a back pack with some cloth coveralls, gloves and some
goggles in it.
He proceeds to suit up and starts applying the stripper. He was
having a hard time using the stripper out of the can so I gave him a
paint try to use. And away he went. He was not doing badly at all so I
left him on his own because I had some plans to go over for Monday.
While going over the plans I could not read some of my business
partner's site measurements so I called him and tried to get some
answers. He had no idea what I was trying to figure out. He then asked
me. What I was doing in the shop on a Saturday night? I told him I was
there with my brother and he was doing some stripping and that I
figured I would get a jump on Mondays work. Never having met my
brother before he said he would come down to the shop and we could
figure the plans out and meet my brother at the same time.
About 30 minuets later I hear my brother out back yelling about
something. As I open the door to the shop my brother is jumping up and
down and running around in just his underwear. I asked him what
happened and he told me that he had sat in the paint try of stripper
on accident. Just then the back door opens and my business partner
comes in and looks at my brother first and then me and says "I did not
know you were doing that type of stripping"
After my brother got cleaned up and dressed we all went into the
office. I then called my wife and told her I would be later than
expected. We then all sat down and had a good laugh about "the
stripper in the shop" and had a few beers. About 45 minuets later my
partner's wife, my brother's wife and my wife showed up at the shop
mad as hell demanding to go in the shop because they knew we were not
working and we had a stripper out back.
I guess I had not hung up the phone properly and my wife heard our
conversation and assumed the worst. Then she got on the phone to the
other wives and they all decided to come down at the same time to
catch us in the act. (We all live within a few blocks of each other by
the way)
So the moral of the story is be careful of strippers in the shop.

Thanks: Chris
Keith

Really enjoyed the story!!! :O) :O)

Keith P

Chris wrote:
story snipped
So the moral of the story is be careful of strippers in the shop.

Well, yeah, you could get distracted and lose a finger
in the table saw or something . . . which is what I
expected this post to be about from the header.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.
Conan the Librarian

(Patrick Olguin) wrote in message om...

OBWW - I joined the ranks of the Bailey-Plane-Mouth-Filing Society
this past weekend, while attempting to get my Hock A2 (thanks Ron,
awesome blade as usual) to work in my type 11 #6 (pretty much the
nicest Bailey-pattern fore plane a fella can have/use, Jeff) that I
got offa Keeter Bohn a few years ago (thanks Keith, easily the
purdiest bench plane I have). It's amazing just how quickly cast iron
is removed by a good, fresh ******* file. The A2 iron was worth the
minor fettling of the plane. Sharpening the iron from Ron's Factory
grind took all of five minutes with my stack of silicon (not silicone,
no strippers allowed in my shop... especially not now) carbide paper.

I don't think I've seen a fore plane with quite such a tight mouth.

You know, I used to fret over taking a file to the mouth of a plane
until I read Larry Williams' (planemaker extraordinaire, Paddy)
description of fettling (you know what that means, Jeff) a smoother to
get the best possible performance out of it. He describes taking a
file to touch up the leading edge of the mouth to ensure it's
perfectly square and has no little bits of metal that might preclude
you closing the mouth up super-tight.

I tested it out first on an old #4 and was so pleased with the
results that I've even used it on my L-N #4-1/2 (expensive
super-smoother, Keef). Even a plane as nice as the L-N may have
little irregularities that interfere with getting a one-sided shaving,
and *judicious* use of a file can work wonders.

[snip of more tool usage]

Paddyo ... it sure seems like you're working the wood a lot more
these days. Congrats.

Chuck Vance
Just say (tmPL) It wouldn't have anything to do with SWIATAABOC,
would it?
Pounds on Wood

That's why you won't find strippers in a woodshop. Woodworkers don't have
any money left.

--
Bill Pounds
http://www.billpounds.com/woodshop

"Silvan" wrote in message

They'll wiggle and jiggle until you run out of money, and then they'll

take
you by the hand, wiggle at you some more, then dump you outside on the

curb
with a cry of "There's an ATM across the street. Come back when you have
more money!"

Silvan

Pounds on Wood wrote:

That's why you won't find strippers in a woodshop. Woodworkers don't have
any money left.

That's right. We're too jaded also. "Yeah, those look nice and stuff, but
I'm trying to apply this shellac and you're blocking my light."

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Charlie Self

Silvan writes:

That's why you won't find strippers in a woodshop. Woodworkers don't have
any money left.

That's right. We're too jaded also. "Yeah, those look nice and stuff, but
I'm trying to apply this shellac and you're blocking my light."

You just need to find one who can get the tassles going in different
directions.

Charlie Self
"Laws are like sausages, it is better not to see them being made." Otto von
Bismarck

Conan the Librarian

Cape Cod Bob wrote in message . ..

Web site? Book? Would you please provide a reference for Larry
Williams' writings?

Larry Williams is half of the planemaking team of Clark & Williams
(http://www.planemaker.com/). They make truly outstanding wooden
planes the old-fashioned way. (No affiliation, I just own one of
their smoothers and it is quite possibly the nicest plane I've ever
used, both functionally and aesthetically.)

I forget where I read Larry's take on finetuning a smoother, but I
know he has been a longtime contributor to the Oldtools list. (You
can check out the archives at
http://www.frontier.iarc.uaf.edu/~cswingle/archive/) He also has some
technique articles on his website.

Chuck Vance

Silvan

Charlie Self wrote:

That's right. We're too jaded also. "Yeah, those look nice and stuff,
but I'm trying to apply this shellac and you're blocking my light."

You just need to find one who can get the tassles going in different
directions.

Nah. She'd just be a man hating ice princess like all the rest of them.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Charlie Self

Silvan writes:

That's right. We're too jaded also. "Yeah, those look nice and stuff,
but I'm trying to apply this shellac and you're blocking my light."

You just need to find one who can get the tassles going in different
directions.

Nah. She'd just be a man hating ice princess like all the rest of them.

Life experiences differ.

Charlie Self
"Confronted with the choice, the American people would choose the policeman's
truncheon over the anarchist's bomb." Spiro T. Agnew

Greg Millen

"Conan the Librarian" wrote in message ...
I forget where I read Larry's take on finetuning a smoother, but I
know he has been a longtime contributor to the Oldtools list. (You
can check out the archives at
http://www.frontier.iarc.uaf.edu/~cswingle/archive/) He also has some
technique articles on his website.

Chuck, thanks for posting that link. I read up on the grinding of chisels
and plane irons section and was pleased to find that a grey wheel is still
recommended for rough grinding. I'd almost let the village whisperers
convince me that I *had* to have a white or pink wheel, but I have always
got by with a mix of grey carborundum wheels and water stones (being careful
with the heat, obviously).

I'll read some more later.

Greg