HarryM

Default Small Shop Layout

I have been working out of a 12x20 shop for years. I have to move the table
saw out onto the driveway to cut full 4x8 sheet goods, but otherwise I can
get by. The planer, miter saw, and shaper roll out from the wall for use.
I have a radial arm saw, 14" band saw, 6" joiner, 12x48 lathe, dust
collector, drill press, grinder, 6x48/12 sander, oscillating spindle sander,
16" scroll saw, and 1" belt sander in use. My workbench is 28x72. There is
an 8-foot wall section devoted to lumber storage. It's crowded, but
useable. harrym

"PA_Paul" wrote in message
om...
After several years away from ww, I'm finally able to start getting
back to it. I have a large barn on my property, with a small
cinderblock attached building. The small building is 14x18, and it's
in here that I planned to build my shop. I was wondering, though,
whether I should plan on putting my jointer and planer in the barn
itself, instead of in the shop. The advantage would be space. The
disadvantage is the barn can't be heated, and since birds take
advantage of the space also, I'll have to keep the equip covered with
a tarp or something similar.

The other alternative is keep them in my shop on wheels, and only pull
out from under a bench or something when I need them.

Other thoughts or ideas?

thanks,
Paul

Other Brother Kevin

Traves W. Coppock wrote:

On 11 Jul 2003 09:43:28 -0700, (PA_Paul)Crawled
out of the shop and said. . .:

After several years away from ww, I'm finally able to start getting
back to it. I have a large barn on my property, with a small
cinderblock attached building. The small building is 14x18, and it's
in here that I planned to build my shop. I was wondering, though,
whether I should plan on putting my jointer and planer in the barn
itself, instead of in the shop. The advantage would be space. The
disadvantage is the barn can't be heated, and since birds take
advantage of the space also, I'll have to keep the equip covered with
a tarp or something similar.

The other alternative is keep them in my shop on wheels, and only pull
out from under a bench or something when I need them.

Other thoughts or ideas?

thanks,
Paul

Paul.
i have a small shop also, about the same dimensions as you have
described.
i keep EVERYTHING on wheels in my shop.
all my tools and machines can be moved to a spot on the floor where i
can use them, and set up to run in under 1 minute. now don't get me
wrong, i'd love to keep everything stationary, but in a small shop,
casters are your best friend

as to keeping machines out in the barn,,,i would advise against it.
moisture will attack the castings, even if the birds can be kept at
bay.

My shop is in an old barn that is only heated when I work in it and I
have no rust on any of the tools. The bare metal tools get a somewhat
regular application wax, but I'm not religious about it.
I'd put them on mobile bases and keep them in the shop to start with,
but as you acquire more tools and need more room put them in the barn.
You could leave them in the shop then move them to the barn when you
working then move them back when your done.
Covering tools is not a bad idea anyways, I have covers on most of the
tools I don't use a lot and always on the TS when not working in the
shop. I find old sheets, curtains in the dump for covers. the best are
nylon shower curtains. Covers save on dust dust in the work shop. When
you want to use a piece that has been sitting for a while you don't have
to blow or sweep the dust off it into the air to use it. Remove the
cover and your aready to go, and you can take he dust outside to shake
them off.

Kevin

Shop layout jtaylor Metalworking 14 August 16th 04 02:49 AM
drive pin on R8 collets Charles A. Sherwood Metalworking 50 July 9th 04 05:41 AM
Shop Insurance..... Ken Sterling Metalworking 20 March 28th 04 03:18 PM
Need to build a Slot Slit Cutter (SMALL) Pedroman Metalworking 6 March 22nd 04 04:21 PM