Conan the Librarian

Default Dangerous Strippers in shop

(Patrick Olguin) wrote in message om...

OBWW - I joined the ranks of the Bailey-Plane-Mouth-Filing Society
this past weekend, while attempting to get my Hock A2 (thanks Ron,
awesome blade as usual) to work in my type 11 #6 (pretty much the
nicest Bailey-pattern fore plane a fella can have/use, Jeff) that I
got offa Keeter Bohn a few years ago (thanks Keith, easily the
purdiest bench plane I have). It's amazing just how quickly cast iron
is removed by a good, fresh ******* file. The A2 iron was worth the
minor fettling of the plane. Sharpening the iron from Ron's Factory
grind took all of five minutes with my stack of silicon (not silicone,
no strippers allowed in my shop... especially not now) carbide paper.

I don't think I've seen a fore plane with quite such a tight mouth.

You know, I used to fret over taking a file to the mouth of a plane
until I read Larry Williams' (planemaker extraordinaire, Paddy)
description of fettling (you know what that means, Jeff) a smoother to
get the best possible performance out of it. He describes taking a
file to touch up the leading edge of the mouth to ensure it's
perfectly square and has no little bits of metal that might preclude
you closing the mouth up super-tight.

I tested it out first on an old #4 and was so pleased with the
results that I've even used it on my L-N #4-1/2 (expensive
super-smoother, Keef). Even a plane as nice as the L-N may have
little irregularities that interfere with getting a one-sided shaving,
and *judicious* use of a file can work wonders.

[snip of more tool usage]

Paddyo ... it sure seems like you're working the wood a lot more
these days. Congrats.

Chuck Vance
Just say (tmPL) It wouldn't have anything to do with SWIATAABOC,
would it?