Old December 17th 04, 02:22 AM
Silvan

Default mason jars... shellac...

How big is a standard mason jar? A quart? Are these things available year
round from places like Wally World, or only during canning season?

I've got a bag of weird orange fluffy stuff that I want to turn into wood
finish one of these days. I already asked what to do with the unused
portion, and it was suggested that I divvy it up into baggies. What I was
thinking instead, though, was why not divvy it up into jars? Just buy a
box of jars, then add alcohol as the occasion arises.

I have a bunch of jars already, but they're odd sizes from this and that
that the previous homeowner washed out and stored. I can use those if
needs be, but I was thinking just buying a new box might be easier and more
certain. Plus I get a handy dandy box to store them in.

Approximately how much shellac flake/powder do I have to add to a jar to get
what cut? I guess a quart is 1/4 gallon, so a 1-pound cut would be 4 oz.
of flakes? Am I missing something?

Should I start with a big cut and subdivide it? The only shellac I've used
so far was the Bullseye stuff, which was a 3# or 4# cut out of the can. I
mixed it about 50/50 for my working batch, and then used the brush cleaner
jar as a thin wash coat later on, once it got some shellac dissolved in it.

I haven't even built a project yet, and I'm way off from finishing, but I'm
kind of eager to play with this. I might mix up a little bitty batch just
to waste some. I want to see how the real stuff compares to the canned. I
hope I'll be pleased.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Old December 17th 04, 04:04 AM
Doug Miller

In article , Silvan wrote:
How big is a standard mason jar? A quart?

Standard sizes are pint, quart, and half-gallon.

Are these things available year
round from places like Wally World, or only during canning season?

Should be available year-round.
[snip]
Approximately how much shellac flake/powder do I have to add to a jar to get
what cut? I guess a quart is 1/4 gallon, so a 1-pound cut would be 4 oz.
of flakes? Am I missing something?

Perzactly right. Not missing a thing.

Should I start with a big cut and subdivide it? The only shellac I've used
so far was the Bullseye stuff, which was a 3# or 4# cut out of the can. I
mixed it about 50/50 for my working batch, and then used the brush cleaner
jar as a thin wash coat later on, once it got some shellac dissolved in it.

I find a 2-lb cut is easier to apply than 3- or 4-lb. YMMV.

--
Regards,

Old December 17th 04, 04:05 AM
Dave Balderstone

The problem with using multiple jars is that they're a bitch to clean
when you're done. If you're only ever going to use them for shellac, I
guess that's not a big deal but I do a lot of canning and hate to toss
them out.

And yeah, I know shellac is "food safe".
Old December 17th 04, 04:16 AM
firstjois

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , Silvan
wrote:
How big is a standard mason jar? A quart?

Standard sizes are pint, quart, and half-gallon.

Are these things available year
round from places like Wally World, or only during canning season?

Should be available year-round.
[snip]

One of the big brand spaghetti sauces comes in mason jars, too. It's the
quart size and if you make a lot of requests for pasta you might be able to
get a good collection going pretty quickly. Even better, the jar covers
are screw tops with a rubber type ring on the inside. Good closure over and
over. Jar covers come tomato stained but I set them in the sunshine and
the sun bleaches the orange out in a day or so.

Occasionally someone like Ace will set out white plastic one piece
replacement covers, not suitable for canning but seems to be okay for short
term shellac and oil based paint storage. These I'd be more likely to put
a square of waxed paper between the jar and white plastic lid.

Josie

Old December 17th 04, 05:12 AM
Silvan

Dave Balderstone wrote:

The problem with using multiple jars is that they're a bitch to clean
when you're done. If you're only ever going to use them for shellac, I
guess that's not a big deal but I do a lot of canning and hate to toss
them out.

I'd be using them just for shellac, yeah. We don't can anymore.

And yeah, I know shellac is "food safe".

Yeahbut denatured alcohol sure ain't. I would never think of reusing these
for food.

Old December 17th 04, 05:31 AM
Todd Fatheree

"Silvan" wrote in message
How big is a standard mason jar? A quart? Are these things available

year
round from places like Wally World, or only during canning season?

They do get hard to find outside of canning season. I seem to have good
luck most of the time at Farm-n-Fleet around here. I'd say the most common
size is a quart, but you can get 1/2 pint, pint, and somewhere you can get 2
quart jars, though I've never actually seen them for sale. As Doug
suggested, some of the pasta sauce jars can be used. The ones that say
"Mason" on them can be actually be used for canning, so regular canning lids
fit. Personally, I'd stick with 2-piece lids because I think they seal
better.

todd

Old December 17th 04, 08:22 AM
George E. Cawthon

Silvan wrote:
Dave Balderstone wrote:

The problem with using multiple jars is that they're a bitch to clean
when you're done. If you're only ever going to use them for shellac, I
guess that's not a big deal but I do a lot of canning and hate to toss
them out.

I'd be using them just for shellac, yeah. We don't can anymore.

And yeah, I know shellac is "food safe".

Yeahbut denatured alcohol sure ain't. I would never think of reusing these
for food.

Huh? When you did can, did you not pour out old liquid before putting
in the new stuff to can? Maybe even wash the jars? No? Gross!

Seriously, do you think shellac can withstand boiling water for any
length of time? Or withstand 95 percent alcohol? Or are all the
statements on the negatives of a shellac finish wrong? such as water
is absorbed and turns it white spots, it is dissolved by alcohol, it
is not heat resistant, etc.
Old December 17th 04, 08:43 AM
George E. Cawthon

Silvan wrote:
[...]

Seriously, first, why would you need a Mason jar? All sorts of stuff
comes in jars that are thrown away so why not use that type of jar?

Second, the stuff goes bad rather quickly and dissolving it, so why
not mix the amount you need instead of a pint, a quart, a half gallon,
etc. A variety of jar sizes allows you to select a size close to
your estimate of the amount you need for a project. Before you use
the jars, measure how much liquid they hold and mark it on them.
BTW, lots of jars can use standard canning lids.
Old December 17th 04, 10:17 AM
Silvan

George E. Cawthon wrote:

Yeahbut denatured alcohol sure ain't. I would never think of reusing
these for food.

Huh? When you did can, did you not pour out old liquid before putting
in the new stuff to can? Maybe even wash the jars? No? Gross!

No, actually, we haven't canned since I was a kid. There used to be a
vacant lot across the street. Somebody plowed a bulldozer through it and
stopped. That was a perfect spot for shooting used mason jars with my BB
gun.

Seriously, do you think shellac can withstand boiling water for any
length of time? Or withstand 95 percent alcohol? Or are all the
statements on the negatives of a shellac finish wrong? such as water
is absorbed and turns it white spots, it is dissolved by alcohol, it
is not heat resistant, etc.

Seriously, denatured alcohol has a big skull and crossbones on the can, and
it says it can't be made nonpoisonous. Sure, it probably all evaporated.
Sure, boiling and washing probably got rid of every trace of it. But for
the price of a box of mason jars, who wants to take a chance like that?! I
don't eat out of something that has contained some poisonous chemical.
Shellac may be edible, but I would not eat it unless it was prepared with
pure boozing alcohol. I know all the solvent is supposed to evaporate, but
what if some of it doesn't? It's just a stupid risk to take. (Not that I
actually have any occasion to eat shellac, denatured alcohol or not. Not
shellac I have applied myself anyway. If they use methyl alcohol to
prepare food grade shellac coatings, I'll be really surprised though.)

Old December 17th 04, 01:31 PM
George

Then there are the jelly jars. Though Silvan filters me, anyone else
contemplating use of jars should remember that alcohol sucks water, so the
less air the better in the container. Mixing shellac in the smallest
possible container makes sense. As I apply with cloth, I find squeeze
bottles best.

1 ounce (Av) = 1/16 of a pound
1 cup (8 Fl Oz) = 1/16 of a gallon.

What could be simpler?

Oh yes, if you look at food container cans and jars you see the same chisel
in progress that you see with coffee. The jar is probably 15 Fl Oz by now,
some less. The pound of coffee is 12 oz, but the old "three pound" size
even chisels on that, being 34.5!!!!

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , Silvan