George

Then there are the jelly jars. Though Silvan filters me, anyone else
contemplating use of jars should remember that alcohol sucks water, so the
less air the better in the container. Mixing shellac in the smallest
possible container makes sense. As I apply with cloth, I find squeeze
bottles best.

1 ounce (Av) = 1/16 of a pound
1 cup (8 Fl Oz) = 1/16 of a gallon.

What could be simpler?

Oh yes, if you look at food container cans and jars you see the same chisel
in progress that you see with coffee. The jar is probably 15 Fl Oz by now,
some less. The pound of coffee is 12 oz, but the old "three pound" size
even chisels on that, being 34.5!!!!

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , Silvan

wrote:
How big is a standard mason jar? A quart?

Standard sizes are pint, quart, and half-gallon.

Are these things available year
round from places like Wally World, or only during canning season?

Should be available year-round.
[snip]
Approximately how much shellac flake/powder do I have to add to a jar to

get
what cut? I guess a quart is 1/4 gallon, so a 1-pound cut would be 4 oz.
of flakes? Am I missing something?

Perzactly right. Not missing a thing.

Should I start with a big cut and subdivide it? The only shellac I've

used
so far was the Bullseye stuff, which was a 3# or 4# cut out of the can.

mixed it about 50/50 for my working batch, and then used the brush

cleaner
jar as a thin wash coat later on, once it got some shellac dissolved in

it.

I find a 2-lb cut is easier to apply than 3- or 4-lb. YMMV.

--
Regards,