Todd Fatheree

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 22:31:38 -0600, "Todd Fatheree"
calmly ranted:

"Silvan" wrote in message
How big is a standard mason jar? A quart? Are these things available

year
round from places like Wally World, or only during canning season?

I got a case of 12 quart-sized widemouths w/ lids at Wally World for
$8, but I don't remember what month. Probably late spring or summer.

They do get hard to find outside of canning season. I seem to have good
luck most of the time at Farm-n-Fleet around here. I'd say the most

common
size is a quart, but you can get 1/2 pint, pint, and somewhere you can

get 2
quart jars, though I've never actually seen them for sale. As Doug
suggested, some of the pasta sauce jars can be used. The ones that say
"Mason" on them can be actually be used for canning, so regular canning

lids
fit. Personally, I'd stick with 2-piece lids because I think they seal
better.

How do the seals react to soaking in shellac?

Since I usually keep my jars right-side up, I wouldn't know. Why don't you
do a test and report back?

todd