Doug Miller

In article , Silvan wrote:
How big is a standard mason jar? A quart?

Standard sizes are pint, quart, and half-gallon.

Are these things available year
round from places like Wally World, or only during canning season?

Should be available year-round.
[snip]
Approximately how much shellac flake/powder do I have to add to a jar to get
what cut? I guess a quart is 1/4 gallon, so a 1-pound cut would be 4 oz.
of flakes? Am I missing something?

Perzactly right. Not missing a thing.

Should I start with a big cut and subdivide it? The only shellac I've used
so far was the Bullseye stuff, which was a 3# or 4# cut out of the can. I
mixed it about 50/50 for my working batch, and then used the brush cleaner
jar as a thin wash coat later on, once it got some shellac dissolved in it.

I find a 2-lb cut is easier to apply than 3- or 4-lb. YMMV.

--
Regards,