Silvan

Default mason jars... shellac...

How big is a standard mason jar? A quart? Are these things available year
round from places like Wally World, or only during canning season?

I've got a bag of weird orange fluffy stuff that I want to turn into wood
finish one of these days. I already asked what to do with the unused
portion, and it was suggested that I divvy it up into baggies. What I was
thinking instead, though, was why not divvy it up into jars? Just buy a
box of jars, then add alcohol as the occasion arises.

I have a bunch of jars already, but they're odd sizes from this and that
that the previous homeowner washed out and stored. I can use those if
needs be, but I was thinking just buying a new box might be easier and more
certain. Plus I get a handy dandy box to store them in.

Approximately how much shellac flake/powder do I have to add to a jar to get
what cut? I guess a quart is 1/4 gallon, so a 1-pound cut would be 4 oz.
of flakes? Am I missing something?

Should I start with a big cut and subdivide it? The only shellac I've used
so far was the Bullseye stuff, which was a 3# or 4# cut out of the can. I
mixed it about 50/50 for my working batch, and then used the brush cleaner
jar as a thin wash coat later on, once it got some shellac dissolved in it.

I haven't even built a project yet, and I'm way off from finishing, but I'm
kind of eager to play with this. I might mix up a little bitty batch just
to waste some. I want to see how the real stuff compares to the canned. I
hope I'll be pleased.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/