J. Clarke

Silvan wrote:

Dave Balderstone wrote:

The problem with using multiple jars is that they're a bitch to clean
when you're done. If you're only ever going to use them for shellac, I
guess that's not a big deal but I do a lot of canning and hate to toss
them out.

I'd be using them just for shellac, yeah. We don't can anymore.

And yeah, I know shellac is "food safe".

Yeahbut denatured alcohol sure ain't. I would never think of reusing
these for food.

The toxic levels for methanol are measured in grams. Any residual amount
remaining in a mason jar after it has been sterilized (the boiling point of
methanol is 67C, sterilization typically occurs at 100C or above) is not
going to be a health hazard.

No, you don't want to drink the stuff, but it's not like it's a neurotoxin
effective in microgram quantities or anything.

One must maintain a sense of proportion about this sort of thing.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)