George E. Cawthon

George wrote:
Might want to check the melting point of shellac before you do that.

HINT : it's 140F http://www.shellacepc.com/properties.html

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message
news
And how is a dishwasher related to boiling water? Do you know of any
dishwashers that use boiling water? The dishwasher with heat
augmentation get to a water temp of about 140 degrees; but many just
use the water as it comes through the pipe. I mentioned boiling
because boiling water is typically used in hot water canning, and then
of course there is even hotter than 212 with pressure canning. World
of difference between a bit of 140 degree water sluicing over the
dishes and fully standing fully in boiling water.

Guess its time to go coat some glasses since I have a little 2 pound
cut left over after a project I finished yesterday and see if it stays
on the glass in my dishwasher. If it does, no problem, I'll just put
the glasses in a pan of BOILING water.

Damn, that's a lot of information. But what is your point?
My point was that soaking in boiling water would get rid of
the shellac and that a dishwasher wouldn't.

Table III of your excellent reference gives the softening
and melting point. The table shows that the melting point
is 77-90 C, that's 170 to 190 F. Don't know where you got
the 140 but the melting point is NOT less that 140 F. The
low end of the softening point is 104-122 F.