George E. Cawthon

Silvan wrote:
Dave Balderstone wrote:

The problem with using multiple jars is that they're a bitch to clean
when you're done. If you're only ever going to use them for shellac, I
guess that's not a big deal but I do a lot of canning and hate to toss
them out.

I'd be using them just for shellac, yeah. We don't can anymore.

And yeah, I know shellac is "food safe".

Yeahbut denatured alcohol sure ain't. I would never think of reusing these
for food.

Huh? When you did can, did you not pour out old liquid before putting
in the new stuff to can? Maybe even wash the jars? No? Gross!

Seriously, do you think shellac can withstand boiling water for any
length of time? Or withstand 95 percent alcohol? Or are all the
statements on the negatives of a shellac finish wrong? such as water
is absorbed and turns it white spots, it is dissolved by alcohol, it
is not heat resistant, etc.