Old March 22nd 20, 02:09 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Garage LEDs

Anyone try or using these newer garage LEDs?

https://smile.amazon.com/Deformable-...%2C139&sr=8-15

https://smile.amazon.com/Garage-Defo...s%2C139&sr=8-4

I have very limited light in my garage and really need more. I ran
across these new LED screw-in bulbs and was curious if anyone here has
tried or seen them in action. Good light? Last long?

TiA
`Casper

Old March 22nd 20, 02:55 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 22 Mar 2020 10:09:28 -0400, Casper
wrote:

Anyone try or using these newer garage LEDs?

https://smile.amazon.com/Deformable-...%2C139&sr=8-15

https://smile.amazon.com/Garage-Defo...s%2C139&sr=8-4

I have very limited light in my garage and really need more. I ran
across these new LED screw-in bulbs and was curious if anyone here has
tried or seen them in action. Good light? Last long?

TiA
`Casper

The adjustability of the models you posted seems like a good idea.
Several years ago I bought one like this for my garage and quite
satisfied with it.

https://www.tscstores.com/LIGHT-BULB...LM-P49043.aspx

My pet peeve with certain led lights - is when they aren't
well-diffused - the pin-prick light source is annoying.
John T.
Old March 22nd 20, 05:51 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, March 22, 2020 at 10:09:33 AM UTC-4, Casper wrote:
Anyone try or using these newer garage LEDs?

https://smile.amazon.com/Deformable-...%2C139&sr=8-15

https://smile.amazon.com/Garage-Defo...s%2C139&sr=8-4

I have very limited light in my garage and really need more. I ran
across these new LED screw-in bulbs and was curious if anyone here has
tried or seen them in action. Good light? Last long?

TiA
`Casper

Interesting. I think I like the round one with the center down-light
fixture. Seems like that would help fill in the area below the fixture
if the side lights were tilted up a lot. More even lighting across the
room.

On the other hand, I'd like to see how the other one would work with nothing
pointed down. Just let it light up the ceiling area. Might allow for some
soft general lighting. Obviously depends on room use.

Interesting concept.

On the "however" side, spot lighting an area can be detrimental. That
spotlight pointed at the workbench really lights it up until you get
between the light and the bench. Then all you do is cast your shadow
on the bench. Better to have an overhead light in front of the user
so that no shadows are cast. That's how my shop is set up.

Old March 22nd 20, 06:09 PM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Anyone try or using these newer garage LEDs?

https://smile.amazon.com/Deformable-...%2C139&sr=8-15

https://smile.amazon.com/Garage-Defo...s%2C139&sr=8-4

I have very limited light in my garage and really need more. I ran
across these new LED screw-in bulbs and was curious if anyone here has
tried or seen them in action. Good light? Last long?

TiA
`Casper

The adjustability of the models you posted seems like a good idea.
Several years ago I bought one like this for my garage and quite
satisfied with it.

https://www.tscstores.com/LIGHT-BULB...LM-P49043.aspx

My pet peeve with certain led lights - is when they aren't
well-diffused - the pin-prick light source is annoying.

I haven't had that issue with Edison base LED replacement bulbs or
other ceiling fixture, something like this (couple in the garage in
addition to A19s in the opener):

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia-Lighting-15-in-White-LED-Low-Profile-Residential-Square-Flush-Mount-FMLSDL-15-21840-M4/205854941

Even where there are more exposed type lights, I don't have much of a
problem with LED sources, particularly for things like shop machinery
lights, where I want the light directed on a small space.

OTOH, LED headlights can be very distracting. High intensity small
sources can be dazzling. We get a *lot* of people flashing their
brights at us when in my wife's car. The HIDs in her last car were
"bad" enough but the LEDs are many times worse. OTOH, they're great
from behind the wheel. The brights are really good at lighting up
deer eyes, something quite useful around here. The area is converting
from woodlands to increased "civilization" so coyotes are disappearing
and the deer are noticing that there's ample food in the developments
and virtually no threat.
Old March 22nd 20, 07:24 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/22/2020 10:09 AM, Casper wrote:
Anyone try or using these newer garage LEDs?

https://smile.amazon.com/Deformable-...%2C139&sr=8-15

https://smile.amazon.com/Garage-Defo...s%2C139&sr=8-4

I have very limited light in my garage and really need more. I ran
across these new LED screw-in bulbs and was curious if anyone here has
tried or seen them in action. Good light? Last long?

TiA
`Casper

The first lights will provide plenty output at a total of 12000 Lumens
at a 6000k value. The issue for me would be the brand, which isn't well
known. Therefore, the life of them is unknown. Many people think all
LEDs are the same, which they aren't. They all require drivers to
operate and the manufacturer of the drivers play a key role in their
longevity.

All you can do is consider the reviews, the listed life expectancy, the
warranty (if applicable) and determine what the manufacturer will do if
they don't reach the length of hours suggested. Then again, how will
anyone really know unless you attach a timer to them. Bottom line, if
you get 10 years out of them, it's a great deal.

Also remember one thing... ALL LED brightness dims as they age. Some
more than others.

Old March 22nd 20, 07:37 PM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Anyone try or using these newer garage LEDs?

https://smile.amazon.com/Deformable-...%2C139&sr=8-15

https://smile.amazon.com/Garage-Defo...s%2C139&sr=8-4

I have very limited light in my garage and really need more. I ran
across these new LED screw-in bulbs and was curious if anyone here has
tried or seen them in action. Good light? Last long?

TiA
`Casper

I don't have that one but I have what amounts to one of the 3
"petals" in my garage. I had 2 reflectoe floods in a "Y" adapter
before and the single panel gives WAY better light. I think the one
you referenced would work VERY well - and should last about 6 yearsif
left on 24/7 - likely better than 20 years in normal use.
Old March 22nd 20, 07:48 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 22 Mar 2020 15:24:55 -0400, Hawk wrote:

[...]

LED output derteriorates a LOT less than flourescent - and the RGB
type lose a lot less than the "white" ones that depend on
electroflourecence. The drover technology has REALLY improved, and as
long as the active devices are properly heat sinked to the aluminum
housing the drivers should easily outlast the LEDS. This has not
always been the case - and I had a LOT of early chinese LED lamps that
failed because the LEDs were not thermally connected to their heat
sinks and the drivers were not heat sinked at all. The ones I am using
now I have not had a single failure, and they average 10-12 hours a
day. At a client's factory and warehouse the only failures they have
had in 7 years is solder joints between panels letting go. The
maintenance guy has a couple spares - replacements under warranty in
the first 2 years that he repaired - so now when a unit fails he just
swaps it out and resolders all the links on the dead one.
Old March 22nd 20, 08:24 PM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Saw these at 1000 Bulbs

https://www.1000bulbs.com/category/l...le-beam-angle/

But the cost is more than the ones Amazon has.
Old March 22nd 20, 08:34 PM posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

I would advise reading the one- and two-star reviews on the first one
very carefully, also the high ratings--there was at least one there
that had the same problem as the one-stars but blamed himself.
Old March 22nd 20, 11:35 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Casper wrote:
Anyone try or using these newer garage LEDs?

https://smile.amazon.com/Deformable-...%2C139&sr=8-15

https://smile.amazon.com/Garage-Defo...s%2C139&sr=8-4

I have very limited light in my garage and really need more. I ran
across these new LED screw-in bulbs and was curious if anyone here has
tried or seen them in action. Good light? Last long?

TiA
`Casper

When LED bulbs first came on the market people were complaining that
when used IN A GARAGE DOOR OPENER the opener would not work correctly.
Other than that use they should work fine in the garage. Maybe the
newer bulbs can also be used in the door opener. We had changed from
incandescent to fluorescent bulbs a few years before LED's and have
now changed nearly all to LED. They will fail eventually but the
light bill decrease has paid for the changeover. Still have 8ft T8's
in the shop.

--
G Ross

Nice write up about LEDs Gunner Metalworking 242 June 13th 04 04:10 PM
String of white LEDs John UK diy 7 May 30th 04 09:22 PM
ADV: Low Cost Blue and White LEDS Postage UK/Intl 1 GBP Chris Electronics 0 December 2nd 03 02:15 AM
FS Ad: Electronic Components incl. TIL311 Hex Displays - LEDs - TTL Chips Parts & Stuff Electronics 0 November 11th 03 10:38 PM
LEDs shimmer randomly as though on fire - Novotill FireLight Stepan Novotill Electronics 0 August 5th 03 12:52 AM