Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Garage LEDs

On Sun, 22 Mar 2020 15:24:55 -0400, Hawk wrote:

On 3/22/2020 10:09 AM, Casper wrote:
Anyone try or using these newer garage LEDs?

https://smile.amazon.com/Deformable-...%2C139&sr=8-15

https://smile.amazon.com/Garage-Defo...s%2C139&sr=8-4

I have very limited light in my garage and really need more. I ran
across these new LED screw-in bulbs and was curious if anyone here has
tried or seen them in action. Good light? Last long?

TiA
`Casper

The first lights will provide plenty output at a total of 12000 Lumens
at a 6000k value. The issue for me would be the brand, which isn't well
known. Therefore, the life of them is unknown. Many people think all
LEDs are the same, which they aren't. They all require drivers to
operate and the manufacturer of the drivers play a key role in their
longevity.

All you can do is consider the reviews, the listed life expectancy, the
warranty (if applicable) and determine what the manufacturer will do if
they don't reach the length of hours suggested. Then again, how will
anyone really know unless you attach a timer to them. Bottom line, if
you get 10 years out of them, it's a great deal.

Also remember one thing... ALL LED brightness dims as they age. Some
more than others.

I would advise reading the one- and two-star reviews on the first one
very carefully, also the high ratings--there was at least one there
that had the same problem as the one-stars but blamed himself.