Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Garage LEDs

Anyone try or using these newer garage LEDs?

https://smile.amazon.com/Deformable-...%2C139&sr=8-15

https://smile.amazon.com/Garage-Defo...s%2C139&sr=8-4

I have very limited light in my garage and really need more. I ran
across these new LED screw-in bulbs and was curious if anyone here has
tried or seen them in action. Good light? Last long?

TiA
`Casper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 22 Mar 2020 10:09:28 -0400, Casper
wrote:

Anyone try or using these newer garage LEDs?

https://smile.amazon.com/Deformable-...%2C139&sr=8-15

https://smile.amazon.com/Garage-Defo...s%2C139&sr=8-4

I have very limited light in my garage and really need more. I ran
across these new LED screw-in bulbs and was curious if anyone here has
tried or seen them in action. Good light? Last long?

TiA
`Casper

The adjustability of the models you posted seems like a good idea.
Several years ago I bought one like this for my garage and quite
satisfied with it.

https://www.tscstores.com/LIGHT-BULB...LM-P49043.aspx

My pet peeve with certain led lights - is when they aren't
well-diffused - the pin-prick light source is annoying.
John T.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, March 22, 2020 at 10:09:33 AM UTC-4, Casper wrote:
Anyone try or using these newer garage LEDs?

https://smile.amazon.com/Deformable-...%2C139&sr=8-15

https://smile.amazon.com/Garage-Defo...s%2C139&sr=8-4

I have very limited light in my garage and really need more. I ran
across these new LED screw-in bulbs and was curious if anyone here has
tried or seen them in action. Good light? Last long?

TiA
`Casper

Interesting. I think I like the round one with the center down-light
fixture. Seems like that would help fill in the area below the fixture
if the side lights were tilted up a lot. More even lighting across the
room.

On the other hand, I'd like to see how the other one would work with nothing
pointed down. Just let it light up the ceiling area. Might allow for some
soft general lighting. Obviously depends on room use.

Interesting concept.

On the "however" side, spot lighting an area can be detrimental. That
spotlight pointed at the workbench really lights it up until you get
between the light and the bench. Then all you do is cast your shadow
on the bench. Better to have an overhead light in front of the user
so that no shadows are cast. That's how my shop is set up.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Anyone try or using these newer garage LEDs?

https://smile.amazon.com/Deformable-...%2C139&sr=8-15

https://smile.amazon.com/Garage-Defo...s%2C139&sr=8-4

I have very limited light in my garage and really need more. I ran
across these new LED screw-in bulbs and was curious if anyone here has
tried or seen them in action. Good light? Last long?

TiA
`Casper

The adjustability of the models you posted seems like a good idea.
Several years ago I bought one like this for my garage and quite
satisfied with it.

https://www.tscstores.com/LIGHT-BULB...LM-P49043.aspx

My pet peeve with certain led lights - is when they aren't
well-diffused - the pin-prick light source is annoying.

I haven't had that issue with Edison base LED replacement bulbs or
other ceiling fixture, something like this (couple in the garage in
addition to A19s in the opener):

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia-Lighting-15-in-White-LED-Low-Profile-Residential-Square-Flush-Mount-FMLSDL-15-21840-M4/205854941

Even where there are more exposed type lights, I don't have much of a
problem with LED sources, particularly for things like shop machinery
lights, where I want the light directed on a small space.

OTOH, LED headlights can be very distracting. High intensity small
sources can be dazzling. We get a *lot* of people flashing their
brights at us when in my wife's car. The HIDs in her last car were
"bad" enough but the LEDs are many times worse. OTOH, they're great
from behind the wheel. The brights are really good at lighting up
deer eyes, something quite useful around here. The area is converting
from woodlands to increased "civilization" so coyotes are disappearing
and the deer are noticing that there's ample food in the developments
and virtually no threat.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/22/2020 10:09 AM, Casper wrote:
Anyone try or using these newer garage LEDs?

https://smile.amazon.com/Deformable-...%2C139&sr=8-15

https://smile.amazon.com/Garage-Defo...s%2C139&sr=8-4

I have very limited light in my garage and really need more. I ran
across these new LED screw-in bulbs and was curious if anyone here has
tried or seen them in action. Good light? Last long?

TiA
`Casper

The first lights will provide plenty output at a total of 12000 Lumens
at a 6000k value. The issue for me would be the brand, which isn't well
known. Therefore, the life of them is unknown. Many people think all
LEDs are the same, which they aren't. They all require drivers to
operate and the manufacturer of the drivers play a key role in their
longevity.

All you can do is consider the reviews, the listed life expectancy, the
warranty (if applicable) and determine what the manufacturer will do if
they don't reach the length of hours suggested. Then again, how will
anyone really know unless you attach a timer to them. Bottom line, if
you get 10 years out of them, it's a great deal.

Also remember one thing... ALL LED brightness dims as they age. Some
more than others.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Anyone try or using these newer garage LEDs?

https://smile.amazon.com/Deformable-...%2C139&sr=8-15

https://smile.amazon.com/Garage-Defo...s%2C139&sr=8-4

I have very limited light in my garage and really need more. I ran
across these new LED screw-in bulbs and was curious if anyone here has
tried or seen them in action. Good light? Last long?

TiA
`Casper

I don't have that one but I have what amounts to one of the 3
"petals" in my garage. I had 2 reflectoe floods in a "Y" adapter
before and the single panel gives WAY better light. I think the one
you referenced would work VERY well - and should last about 6 yearsif
left on 24/7 - likely better than 20 years in normal use.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 22 Mar 2020 15:24:55 -0400, Hawk wrote:

[...]

LED output derteriorates a LOT less than flourescent - and the RGB
type lose a lot less than the "white" ones that depend on
electroflourecence. The drover technology has REALLY improved, and as
long as the active devices are properly heat sinked to the aluminum
housing the drivers should easily outlast the LEDS. This has not
always been the case - and I had a LOT of early chinese LED lamps that
failed because the LEDs were not thermally connected to their heat
sinks and the drivers were not heat sinked at all. The ones I am using
now I have not had a single failure, and they average 10-12 hours a
day. At a client's factory and warehouse the only failures they have
had in 7 years is solder joints between panels letting go. The
maintenance guy has a couple spares - replacements under warranty in
the first 2 years that he repaired - so now when a unit fails he just
swaps it out and resolders all the links on the dead one.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Saw these at 1000 Bulbs

https://www.1000bulbs.com/category/l...le-beam-angle/

But the cost is more than the ones Amazon has.
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

I would advise reading the one- and two-star reviews on the first one
very carefully, also the high ratings--there was at least one there
that had the same problem as the one-stars but blamed himself.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Casper wrote:
Anyone try or using these newer garage LEDs?

https://smile.amazon.com/Deformable-...%2C139&sr=8-15

https://smile.amazon.com/Garage-Defo...s%2C139&sr=8-4

I have very limited light in my garage and really need more. I ran
across these new LED screw-in bulbs and was curious if anyone here has
tried or seen them in action. Good light? Last long?

TiA
`Casper

When LED bulbs first came on the market people were complaining that
when used IN A GARAGE DOOR OPENER the opener would not work correctly.
Other than that use they should work fine in the garage. Maybe the
newer bulbs can also be used in the door opener. We had changed from
incandescent to fluorescent bulbs a few years before LED's and have
now changed nearly all to LED. They will fail eventually but the
light bill decrease has paid for the changeover. Still have 8ft T8's
in the shop.

--
G Ross

Posted to rec.woodworking

No comment on the lights you linked to. Other than the description is for a whole lot of light. Hope that is true. And, if you go with these, order both models and see which is better. Given the fact the super bright one is $50, and the less bright one is $31. Return the one you don't want. Or keep both.

https://smile.amazon.com/Deformable-...%2C139&sr=8-15

https://smile.amazon.com/Garage-Defo...s%2C139&sr=8-4

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, March 22, 2020 at 7:36:03 PM UTC-4, G Ross wrote:
Casper wrote:
Anyone try or using these newer garage LEDs?

https://smile.amazon.com/Deformable-...%2C139&sr=8-15

https://smile.amazon.com/Garage-Defo...s%2C139&sr=8-4

I have very limited light in my garage and really need more. I ran
across these new LED screw-in bulbs and was curious if anyone here has
tried or seen them in action. Good light? Last long?

TiA
`Casper

When LED bulbs first came on the market people were complaining that
when used IN A GARAGE DOOR OPENER the opener would not work correctly.

They are still complaining. Well, maybe "people" aren't complaining,
but manufacturers still advise against it, sort of.

On this page, Chamberlain puts LEDs on the list of bulbs *not* to use,
then immediately provides a table of compatible LEDs. WTF? At least they
put an disclaimer next to it, so I guess it's not a real "not".

https://support.chamberlaingroup.com...-1484145692747
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/22/2020 7:35 PM, G Ross wrote:
Casper wrote:
Anyone try or using these newer garage LEDs?

https://smile.amazon.com/Deformable-...%2C139&sr=8-15

https://smile.amazon.com/Garage-Defo...s%2C139&sr=8-4

I have very limited light in my garage and really need more. I ran
across these new LED screw-in bulbs and was curious if anyone here has
tried or seen them in action. Good light? Last long?

TiA
`Casper

When LED bulbs first came on the market people were complaining that
when used IN A GARAGE DOOR OPENER the opener would not work correctly.
Â*Other than that use they should work fine in the garage.Â* Maybe the
newer bulbs can also be used in the door opener. We had changed from
incandescent to fluorescent bulbs a few years before LED's and have now
changed nearly all to LED.Â* They will fail eventually but the light bill
decrease has paid for the changeover.Â* Still have 8ft T8's in the shop.

I've had an LED bulb on each side of my Chamberlain and never had a
problem for several years now.
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Assuming adequate heatsinking, which is a huge assumption. At this
level of power, I'd be really suspicious.

Also remember one thing... ALL LED brightness dims as they age. Some
more than others.

The phosphors in the whites do fade but it's not a serious problem.
Certainly not as bad a florescents or incandescents (they fade a *lot*
in the same timeframe ;-).
Posted to rec.woodworking

Casper wrote:
[...]

SOME LED lamps interfere with SOME RF remotes.The only time they
would be a problem is trying to close the door with the lights still
on after opening, or trying to re-open the door withthe lights still
on after closing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 22 Mar 2020 19:35:56 -0400, G Ross wrote:

Casper wrote:
[...]

IF the LEDs are going to be a problem in the opener they may also
very well be a problem in the garage IF they are onwhen you try to
open or close the garage.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, March 22, 2020 at 11:19:54 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

I am definitely in the minority when I praise the flourescent lights in my shop. They are not typical. They are T5 flourescents. 20,000 lumens per 8' fixture. I have six fixtures spread out over the ceiling to eliminate the shadows. So I have 120,000 lumens of light and its wonderful. These have been in place for five years and I have not replaced any bulbs. If they have faded any, its sure not noticeable. BTW, these are not cheap, but they are certainly better than any LED solution I have tried and worth it to me. I put two eight foot fixtures in my wife's art studio over her painting area. She is a real stickler for color and good light, as she does all original paintings in oil and she praises her lights as well.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 23 Mar 2020 16:11:43 -0700 (PDT), Bob D
wrote:

[...]

Well, I'm putting more fluorescents in my shop, as well. I had the
pigtail fluorescents in each room, which I did replace with LEDs. I'm
adding 4' tubes but I've only finished one room (~13x20') with six
double 6500K tubes. I have enough fixtures to do most of my space
(80% of a 2000 ft^2 basement) but no time to finish them. I have a
case of fluorescent tubes, too, but after that I'll put LED tubes in
the fixtures. I haven't decided if I'm going to rewire them or buy the
direct replacements and eat the efficiency degradation.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Casper wrote:
[...]

Which isn't an unusual situation. The lights come on (timer resets)
when you back out of the garage and cross the safety beam. I don't
wait another five minutes to drive off.'

I do have something interfering but I can't pin it on the lights. It
doesn't seem to matter whether they're on or off. It seems very
positional.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Casper wrote:
[...]

Do you have one of the HomeLink devices? I find mine to be very
temperamental. I'm thinking I need to move the rcvr closer to the
front of the garage.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Casper wrote:
[...]

It may have one (something that connects to WiFi) but I don't use it.
I just use the remote that came with it. My wife uses the one built
into her car. Come to think of it, she has ore problems but I thought
it was because my truck is in the way (in the driveway).
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Anyone try or using these newer garage LEDs?

https://smile.amazon.com/Deformable-...%2C139&sr=8-15

https://smile.amazon.com/Garage-Defo...s%2C139&sr=8-4

I have very limited light in my garage and really need more. I ran
across these new LED screw-in bulbs and was curious if anyone here has
tried or seen them in action. Good light? Last long?

TiA
`Casper

The adjustability of the models you posted seems like a good idea.
Several years ago I bought one like this for my garage and quite
satisfied with it.

https://www.tscstores.com/LIGHT-BULB...LM-P49043.aspx

My pet peeve with certain led lights - is when they aren't
well-diffused - the pin-prick light source is annoying.
John T.

I have a pair of similar configuration that light a single bay garage
and like them:

https://www.rockler.com/lumen-led-ut...luminum-shroud

Dave in SoTex
Posted to rec.woodworking

Casper wrote:
[...]

Food for thought and this has nothing to do with lighting.
About 10 years ago we moved into a new home and I installed a new
Craftsman door opener.
My wife's car always opened the door with no problems. Her car has the
home link built in. My Tundra with the remote that came with the garage
door opener was always finicky. Some times it worked, sometimes I had
to walk up to the door with remote in hand to open the door.
I had that issue from day one up until very early last year, so about 8
years.

The remote finally stopped working. I replaced the 8 year old battery
and suddenly all of the prior 8 years of intermittent issues disappeared
completely. I was shocked.

SO while the batter/remote worked inconsistently the same from new to
the 8 year mark. The new battery fixed all.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Casper wrote:
[...]

Not uncommon. ANd sometimes just removing the old battery and putting
it back in works too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Casper wrote:
[...]

I often remove and replace batteries to reestablish contact. But in
this case the Chinese battery was simply crap from the beginning.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, March 23, 2020 at 8:18:07 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Mon, 23 Mar 2020 18:06:44 -0400, Clare Snyder

SOME LED lamps interfere with SOME RF remotes.The only time they
would be a problem is trying to close the door with the lights still
on after opening, or trying to re-open the door with the lights still
on after closing.

Which isn't an unusual situation. The lights come on (timer resets)
when you back out of the garage and cross the safety beam. I don't
wait another five minutes to drive off.'

I'm with the second post. HALF the time, the LED light interference would cause a problem. When I used the garage opener, it was like this.

Backing car out of garage, door closed, push button on wall to open garage door, lights in opener come on, walk to car, get in, back out, use remote inside car to close door. LED interference would be a problem whenever you left the house because the LED light is on when you are trying to use the remote!!!!

Entering garage when coming home, drive into drive way, door closed, use remote inside car to open door, lights in opener come on, drive in, get out of car, walk to button on wall and close garage door. No problems because you are using the wall button to close the door when the LED lights are on, not the remote. So LED interference can't interfere with the remote.

The lights in my garage opener stay on for 5 minutes or so. So waiting in the drive way until the lights go off automatically and then using the remote with no LED interference is not an option.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Casper wrote:
[...]

But if the battery were bad in my wife's opener, she couldn't start
the car, either. ;-)

Mine generally works fine. My key fobs (key and fob all in one) are
getting flaky though.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Although I have a garage door opener, the LED will not be going into
it. Instead it'll be going into a simple white celing socket. The
current bulb is too soft to shed enough light into some areas and I
don't want to bump up the wattage and increase the heat.

I've got LEDs elsewhere in the house, just not these new flip panels.
Seems like a good idea to be able to adjust the panel to throw light
more where it is needed or wanted. I'm just hoping it's enough light.

I forgot about the Rockler ones. I'll have to think about those too.
For now I may try one of the LEDs off Amazon and, if it's not enough
lumen, I can return it. I need more light and something that will run
cool since the garage can get rather hot.

I'm leaning towards the 3-flip arm with the center piece. Seems like a
good way to throw light downward and 360 around. We'll see. Once I
just out more reviews and ratings.

Thanks for all the info, ideas, and tips.

Nice write up about LEDs Gunner Metalworking 242 June 13th 04 04:10 PM
String of white LEDs John UK diy 7 May 30th 04 09:22 PM
ADV: Low Cost Blue and White LEDS Postage UK/Intl £1 GBP Chris Electronics 0 December 2nd 03 02:15 AM
FS Ad: Electronic Components incl. TIL311 Hex Displays - LEDs - TTL Chips Parts & Stuff Electronics 0 November 11th 03 10:38 PM
LEDs shimmer randomly as though on fire - Novotill FireLight Stepan Novotill Electronics 0 August 5th 03 12:52 AM