Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Central Machinery quality?

On Thursday, April 11, 1996 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, Grant Echols wrote:
I've been seeing mail order adds for a bunch of hardware
manufactured by Central Machinery in the Better Homes and Gardens
Wood magazine. Their prices look great but I don't know anything
about their quality and I haven't seen their products in any of
the tools reviews either. It looks they've got a light green color
scheme for their tools that makes me think they're a clone of
Delta but I'm not sure.

Anyone have any experience with these guys? The mail order house
that advertises them is Harbor Freight from California.

Thanks for the help,

Grant

--
Grant Echols

Some HF stuff is good but in particular I would be careful about Central Machinery products. I bought a drill press 60237 and after only a few uses the return spring broke and I am told that HF cannot get parts. This broke while I was installing a drill bit, if the machine had been running it could have been dangerous as it would allow the drill bit to drop onto anything below. I do use it at work but only occasionally so naturally the 90 day warranty was out. I always try to give manufacturers the benefit of the doubt, faulty parts are not always detectable in production, but why supply a parts list when refusing to supply the parts anyway?

And yes, someone mentioned a stripped thread - mine too.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/4/2018 11:48 AM, wrote:
[...]

Twenty-two years later...
Posted to rec.woodworking

25 years later, apparently Google was the thing back in 1996 wow.

I am not sure if any of you guys are still alive, but I would love to hear your updated opinions now since market has changed a lot.

Just got myself a knee mill from HF and just having fun browsing around.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Also notice guys how makers community and crafting started booming in 2016+, and since 1996 there was no discussion here. very interesting!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/5/2021 3:46 PM, Vlad wrote:
Also notice guys how makers community and crafting started booming in 2016+, and since 1996 there was no discussion here. very interesting!

This is one of the few rather active newsgroups that I read. I
typically have nothing to reply as I don't actively do much woodworking,
but it's nice to see so little spam and a real discussion ongoing!

Perhaps I'll chime in when I start restoring my 120 year old double hung
windows.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/5/2021 2:45 PM, Vlad wrote:
25 years later, apparently Google was the thing back in 1996 wow.

I am not sure if any of you guys are still alive, but I would love to hear your updated opinions now since market has changed a lot.

I can assure you, all of "us guys" are still alive.

Central Machinery.. I do not recall that brand at all.

Just got myself a knee mill from HF and just having fun browsing around.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, March 5, 2021 at 4:20:33 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 3/5/2021 2:45 PM, Vlad wrote:
25 years later, apparently Google was the thing back in 1996 wow.

I am not sure if any of you guys are still alive, but I would love to hear your updated opinions now since market has changed a lot.

I can assure you, all of "us guys" are still alive.

For the time being, anyway.

Central Machinery.. I do not recall that brand at all.

Do you not ever shop at Harbor Freight?

The Central Machinery label can be found on numerous HF items,
from $15 plastic sawhorses to $3300 backhoes. Some CM items can
be found on Amazon also. Obviously they are a re-seller of stuff
made by a number of other (mostly likely) foreign entities.

https://www.harborfreight.com/search...al%20machinery

They even carry leg sets. ;-)

https://www.harborfreight.com/29-inc...and-95128.html
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 5 Mar 2021 15:20:26 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 3/5/2021 2:45 PM, Vlad wrote:
25 years later, apparently Google was the thing back in 1996 wow.

I am not sure if any of you guys are still alive, but I would love to hear your updated opinions now since market has changed a lot.

I can assure you, all of "us guys" are still alive.

Central Machinery.. I do not recall that brand at all.

Spend some time in a Harbor Freight store..
--
Jerry O.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/5/2021 2:45 PM, Vlad wrote:
25 years later, apparently Google was the thing back in 1996 wow.

I am not sure if any of you guys are still alive, but I would love to hear your updated opinions now since market has changed a lot.

I can assure you, all of "us guys" are still alive.

Central Machinery.. I do not recall that brand at all.

Spend some time in a Harbor Freight store..

I have a Central machinery drill press. I bought it for as it was about
the same price as a drill. I found that it has completely replace the
drill for projects around the shop. Would I buy it for a commercial
application, NO. But as I use it it is perfect.

Maybe with President Trumps vaccines, we can go back to Harbor Freight
and shop.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/5/2021 2:45 PM, Vlad wrote:
25 years later, apparently Google was the thing back in 1996 wow.

I am not sure if any of you guys are still alive, but I would love to hear your updated opinions now since market has changed a lot.

I can assure you, all of "us guys" are still alive.

For the time being, anyway.

Central Machinery.. I do not recall that brand at all.

Do you not ever shop at Harbor Freight?

Com' on. HF tools aren't green.

The Central Machinery label can be found on numerous HF items,
from $15 plastic sawhorses to $3300 backhoes. Some CM items can
be found on Amazon also. Obviously they are a re-seller of stuff
made by a number of other (mostly likely) foreign entities.

https://www.harborfreight.com/search...al%20machinery

They even carry leg sets. ;-)

https://www.harborfreight.com/29-inc...and-95128.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/5/2021 2:45 PM, Vlad wrote:
25 years later, apparently Google was the thing back in 1996 wow.

I am not sure if any of you guys are still alive, but I would love to hear your updated opinions now since market has changed a lot.
I can assure you, all of "us guys" are still alive.

For the time being, anyway.

Central Machinery.. I do not recall that brand at all.

Do you not ever shop at Harbor Freight?

Com' on. HF tools aren't green.

Sure they are. They almost fooled me with this CM machine. ;-)

https://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-x...der-61750.html
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, March 5, 2021 at 3:37:02 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Do you not ever shop at Harbor Freight?

I buy HF brand glue brushes from Amazon. They work pretty well after the first 10 bristles fall out.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/5/2021 2:45 PM, Vlad wrote:
25 years later, apparently Google was the thing back in 1996 wow.

I am not sure if any of you guys are still alive, but I would love to hear your updated opinions now since market has changed a lot.
I can assure you, all of "us guys" are still alive.

For the time being, anyway.

Central Machinery.. I do not recall that brand at all.

Do you not ever shop at Harbor Freight?

Com' on. HF tools aren't green.

Sure they are. They almost fooled me with this CM machine. ;-)

https://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-x...der-61750.html

Now *that's* green! Diaper green after a good meal of strained peas.

Who would buy something that ugly?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 5 Mar 2021 19:06:24 -0800 (PST), Bob D
wrote:

On Friday, March 5, 2021 at 3:37:02 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Do you not ever shop at Harbor Freight?

I buy HF brand glue brushes from Amazon. They work pretty well after the first 10 bristles fall out.

I've bought a pile of their chip brushes, foam brushes, and nitrile
gloves. The latter came in handy about a year ago.

Mechanics tools work well enough for working around the house.
Crapsman has fallen so far that they've about the same for a few times
the price. I wouldn't use them if I were a mechanic but they're great
for what I want. I'm not too worried about losing one, either.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Friday, March 5, 2021 at 3:37:02 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Do you not ever shop at Harbor Freight?

I buy HF brand glue brushes from Amazon. They work pretty well after the first 10 bristles fall out.

I've bought a pile of their chip brushes, foam brushes, and nitrile
gloves. The latter came in handy about a year ago.

I stock up on their nitrile gloves, especially the 5 mil (light blue), usually 3-4
boxes at a time when they go on sale. I've always got at least 1 box of the
7 & 9 mil on hand too.

I use the 5 mil for finishing, working on the cars, working with meat, etc.
I often wear them under my winter gloves when working outside. I can take
my gloves off and my hands stay warm for short tasks when I need a little
fineness. The same for when I'm raking wet leaves on a cold November day.

I'm glad I stocked up before Covid hit. They used to be in the $5/box range.
Now they are $18. HF has the same words on a sign in the stores as they
do on the website:

"Nitrile glove prices are up and supplies are low because of a worldwide
raw material shortage. Our profit margin has NOT changed and you can
be sure that when costs decrease so will our prices."

Luckily I still have 1 1/2 boxes of the $5 kind. In most cases, I get multiple
uses out of a single pair. I put on 6 coats of wipe-on poly and only used 1 pair.
Pull them off by the cuff so that they end up inside out. Let the perspiration
dry, turn them right side out, and they are good for another finishing session.
At current prices, I'm not about to throw them away after getting a little poly
on them.
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

I'm glad I stocked up before Covid hit. They used to be in the $5/box range.
Now they are $18. HF has the same words on a sign in the stores as they
do on the website:

"Nitrile glove prices are up and supplies are low because of a worldwide
raw material shortage. Our profit margin has NOT changed and you can
be sure that when costs decrease so will our prices."

Luckily I still have 1 1/2 boxes of the $5 kind. In most cases, I get multiple
uses out of a single pair. I put on 6 coats of wipe-on poly and only used 1 pair.
Pull them off by the cuff so that they end up inside out. Let the perspiration
dry, turn them right side out, and they are good for another finishing session.
At current prices, I'm not about to throw them away after getting a little poly
on them.

After I went through my old $7 box from HF, I paid $23 for a box online.
I don't mind paying that for "cheap health insurance", for when I do
things like pump gas. They say the virus is mostly not transmitted that
way, but the glove make me feel safer. Wife and I just got our first
shot of the vaccine the other day, so we can sort of see the end of the
tunnel from here.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, March 6, 2021 at 8:43:17 AM UTC-5, Bill wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

SWMBO got her shots last month since she's 1A. She works with disabled adults.
Physical and mental disorders. God bless her. The patience she has! She's in
charge of a green house and gardens at a day-hap and has "her guys" tend the
plants based on their abilities.

Almost every day I had been logging in to the various vaccine scheduling sites
offering vaccines. (county, pharmacies, etc.) "All appointments are filled at this
time."

Last Wednesday I logged in to a pharmacy scheduler and instead of the "No
Appointments" message, I saw a button for a city about 90 miles from me. Just
a button with a city name on it. No other words. OK, that's different. I clicked the
button, filled out the form and ended with an appointment for the upcoming Friday
- less than 48 hours from the then-current time. I'm assuming it was a cancellation.

First shot down, next shot at the end of March.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/5/2021 2:45 PM, Vlad wrote:
25 years later, apparently Google was the thing back in 1996 wow.

I am not sure if any of you guys are still alive, but I would love to hear your updated opinions now since market has changed a lot.

I can assure you, all of "us guys" are still alive.

For the time being, anyway.

Central Machinery.. I do not recall that brand at all.

Do you not ever shop at Harbor Freight?

Well that was what I thought was the brand that they sold. Therefore I
could offer no personal experience on that brand.

But no, I don't shop that brand at all.
I don't just collect tools, I wear them out, or used to before I started
buying Festool.;!) I do not think I would be happy with something that
is not going to last and perform as long as the brands that I buy.

The Central Machinery label can be found on numerous HF items,
from $15 plastic sawhorses to $3300 backhoes. Some CM items can
be found on Amazon also. Obviously they are a re-seller of stuff
made by a number of other (mostly likely) foreign entities.

https://www.harborfreight.com/search...al%20machinery

They even carry leg sets. ;-)

https://www.harborfreight.com/29-inc...and-95128.html

Well what could go wrong with a steel stand? I might buy one of those
if I needed one. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/5/2021 2:45 PM, Vlad wrote:
25 years later, apparently Google was the thing back in 1996 wow.

I am not sure if any of you guys are still alive, but I would love to hear your updated opinions now since market has changed a lot.
I can assure you, all of "us guys" are still alive.

For the time being, anyway.

Central Machinery.. I do not recall that brand at all.

Do you not ever shop at Harbor Freight?

Com' on. HF tools aren't green.

Sure they are. They almost fooled me with this CM machine. ;-)

https://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-x...der-61750.html

Yeah, that looks exactly like a Festool tool,,,, NOT!!! LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/5/2021 9:06 PM, Bob D wrote:
On Friday, March 5, 2021 at 3:37:02 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Do you not ever shop at Harbor Freight?

I buy HF brand glue brushes from Amazon. They work pretty well after the first 10 bristles fall out.

I used to use the flux brushed for glue but switched to the silicone
glue brushes that Wood Craft sells. Yellow tip, Black handle.

I bought 2 and have been using the first one for 10 plus years. And Yes
I saw the second one yesterday. LOL

Easy to remove the glue if you for get to wash it out.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Hummmm our local store must have not gotten the message. I got my HF
gloves at the old regular price last year. But yeah, looking at the web
site they have tippled in price.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/5/2021 2:45 PM, Vlad wrote:
25 years later, apparently Google was the thing back in 1996 wow.

I am not sure if any of you guys are still alive, but I would love
to hear your updated opinions now since market has changed a lot.

I can assure you, all of "us guys" are still alive.

Central Machinery.. I do not recall that brand at all.

Spend some time in a Harbor Freight store..

I have a Central machinery drill press.Â* I bought it for as it was about
the same price as a drill.Â*Â* I found that it has completely replace the
drill for projects around the shop.Â* Would I buy it for a commercial
application, NO.Â* But as I use it it is perfect.

Maybe with President Trumps vaccines, we can go back to Harbor Freight
and shop.

Yeah!!!
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Do you remember when last year? Maybe they had stock left. If they are true
to their word about "profit margins" they wouldn't have raised their price until
the cheaper inventory was sold out. I don't know when my local store put up
the "profit margin" sign because I haven't shopped for gloves in a long time.
I just happened to see the sign while I was in the store for some other items.

I remember looking for a hitch for my van last year. It was obvious who was
price gouging and who wasn't. eTrailer kept their price low for in-stock items
while other places jacked up their prices as soon as the factories shot down.
Once in-stock inventories were depleted, delivery dates were measured in terms
of months across the board which made it obvious that some actual sellers
were jacking up their prices on inventory already on hand.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 6 Mar 2021 08:43:06 -0500, Bill wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

After May or June of last year I got over my paranoia. Our
restaurants were only limited to curb-side for about six weeks and
were back to our normal routine immediately after. We've never been
in a tunnel but did get the second shot a month ago.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/5/2021 2:45 PM, Vlad wrote:
[...]

Well, since you asked... I've had one of their grinder stands for
quite a while. Recently Woodcraft had a good sale on the Rikon low
speed grinder (better ones since). I bought another for it. The
latter one was pure junk. The tube is so thin that there is no way to
tighten the base tight enough, not only keep it straight, but keep it
from wobbling in use. I was thinking about the one above for both
grinders but decided against it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

I used to use the flux brushed for glue but switched to the silicone
glue brushes that Wood Craft sells. Yellow tip, Black handle.

I bought 2 and have been using the first one for 10 plus years. And
Yes I saw the second one yesterday. LOL

Easy to remove the glue if you for get to wash it out.

Might work pretty good for plumbing flux too. Disposable brushes are nice,
but it just feels like such a waste when you're only doing two joints.

I'll have to look for those. How much does the silicone flex?

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

On 3/5/2021 2:45 PM, Vlad wrote:
25 years later, apparently Google was the thing back in 1996 wow.

I am not sure if any of you guys are still alive, but I would love to
hear your updated opinions now since market has changed a lot.

I can assure you, all of "us guys" are still alive.

From 25 years ago... I'm pretty sure we've lost a few. Charlie Self for
one... My last e-mail swap with him was at least 10-12+ years ago and that
was initiated as we hadn't seen him post recently. On the other hand, if
we're here to read these posts and respond we're probably still alive....
though if the gap between post and reading is too long some of us might not
be. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Think of how many new customers HF may have picked up in the last year
due to those gloves! The answer could be "none", but I doubt it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/6/2021 5:48 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

I used to use the flux brushed for glue but switched to the silicone
glue brushes that Wood Craft sells. Yellow tip, Black handle.

I bought 2 and have been using the first one for 10 plus years. And
Yes I saw the second one yesterday. LOL

Easy to remove the glue if you for get to wash it out.

Might work pretty good for plumbing flux too. Disposable brushes are nice,
but it just feels like such a waste when you're only doing two joints.

I'll have to look for those. How much does the silicone flex?

Puckdropper

Quite a bit. They have approximately 30 little fingers that are about
3/4" long.

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/s...e-glue-brush-1

Woodcraft also sells a small green rectangular silicone container for
glue. Dried glue comes out of that easily too.

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/s...lue-brush-tray

And I have this also for laying out glue with a roller. I do not often
use this unless I need to spread a lot of glue.

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/s...oller-and-tray

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, March 7, 2021 at 10:52:14 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 3/6/2021 5:48 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

I used to use the flux brushed for glue but switched to the silicone
glue brushes that Wood Craft sells. Yellow tip, Black handle.

I bought 2 and have been using the first one for 10 plus years. And
Yes I saw the second one yesterday. LOL

Easy to remove the glue if you for get to wash it out.

Might work pretty good for plumbing flux too. Disposable brushes are nice,
but it just feels like such a waste when you're only doing two joints.

I'll have to look for those. How much does the silicone flex?

Puckdropper

Quite a bit. They have approximately 30 little fingers that are about
3/4" long.

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/s...e-glue-brush-1

Silicone is the latest rage in cookware. I have a couple of brushes like
yours for basting, buttering, etc. We also have some spatulas, stirring
spoons, etc. We haven't tried any of the muffin tins or cake/loaf pans, but
I keep thinking about it. I see them used on the cooking competition
shows all the time. The food items just pop right out, like a ice from
a plastic ice cube tray.

High heat resistance (600°), stain-resistant, non-scratch, non-reactive
to foods, etc.

You can buy food safe silicone putty to make you own molds. Mold it
around a favorite item/trinket and make personalized cookies and
candies.

One example:

https://www.smooth-on.com/tutorials/...fast-easy-fun/

With a 3D printer, CNC machine or maybe even an Origin, the possibilities are
virtually limitless.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/7/2021 10:18 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Well for baking silicone has been around for quite a while, at least
10~15 years. I bought my wife silicone muffin tins, bread pans. She
pretty much hates them. So they tend to break down and become sticky
over a period of time. What ever is oozing out is oozing out in high
temperatures into your food.

High heat resistance (600°), stain-resistant, non-scratch, non-reactive
to foods, etc.

You can buy food safe silicone putty to make you own molds. Mold it
around a favorite item/trinket and make personalized cookies and
candies.

One example:

https://www.smooth-on.com/tutorials/...fast-easy-fun/

With a 3D printer, CNC machine or maybe even an Origin, the possibilities are
virtually limitless.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, March 7, 2021 at 11:27:52 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
[...]

Are you talking about 15 YO muffin tins or modern day muffin tins?

Compounds have probably improved.

All aluminum pots were quite the rage for a while, due to how quickly and
evenly they heated up. Now they still use aluminum as the core, but they
clad it in safer materials, materials that don't react with food.

Non-stick cookware went from Teflon to ceramic. That will probably change
over time too.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/6/2021 5:48 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

I used to use the flux brushed for glue but switched to the silicone
glue brushes that Wood Craft sells. Yellow tip, Black handle.

I bought 2 and have been using the first one for 10 plus years. And
Yes I saw the second one yesterday. LOL

Easy to remove the glue if you for get to wash it out.

Might work pretty good for plumbing flux too. Disposable brushes are nice,
but it just feels like such a waste when you're only doing two joints.

I'll have to look for those. How much does the silicone flex?

Puckdropper

Quite a bit, actually. They also come with a flexible spatula type tip
(maybe 3/4" wide). SWMBO also has some silicone pastry brushes which
would work fine, especially for glue ups of thicker stock. Haven't
priced them out but don't imagine there would be a great difference in
price.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/7/2021 12:24 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Well since she had the bad luck she has not bought any more hoping that
it got better.

Compounds have probably improved.

Maybe but they are still silicone unlike the examples you mentioned below.

All aluminum pots were quite the rage for a while, due to how quickly and
evenly they heated up. Now they still use aluminum as the core, but they
clad it in safer materials, materials that don't react with food.

Non-stick cookware went from Teflon to ceramic. That will probably change
over time too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, March 7, 2021 at 6:02:13 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
[...]

On the other hand, it's possible that one might confuse a sticky residue from the
food with the breakdown of the silicone. Like I said, I've not tried any silicone
bakeware, so this may not be what you and the missus have experienced. I can
say that I have experienced sticky residue on metal cookware over time.

From: https://www.united-silicones.com/blo...cone-bakeware/

"However, there is one drawback that many people have found with using silicone
bakeware. Sticky film can begin to build up over time. ... Oil and grease that has
been baked onto the surface of the bakeware over time builds up when used at
high temperatures.

and from: https://www.cleanipedia.com/gb/kitch...-bakeware.html

"What is the sticky residue on silicone bakeware?

Youve baked a delicious cake in your silicone cake pan, youve popped the cake onto the
cooling rack, and youve washed the cake tin€¦ yet it still doesnt feel clean. Why? Silicone
is designed to be non-stick, which makes it an excellent choice for baking cakes and
muffins, but its these non-stick properties that make cleaning silicone a bit tricky. The
bakeware is non-stick because it doesnt absorb any oils or grease €“ it leaves them on
the surface, which helps foods to simply lift out of the pan with the slickness of the oil.
The oils cling to the silicone, which means that even after washing, a small amount of
grease may remain, which causes a tacky, almost sticky feel."

Both sites offer tips on the proper cleaning of silicone bakeware.