Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Central Machinery quality?

On Sun, 7 Mar 2021 07:19:01 -0500, Bill wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Saturday, March 6, 2021 at 11:00:05 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 3/5/2021 11:00 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, March 5, 2021 at 10:48:20 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Fri, 5 Mar 2021 19:06:24 -0800 (PST), Bob D
wrote:

On Friday, March 5, 2021 at 3:37:02 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Do you not ever shop at Harbor Freight?

I buy HF brand glue brushes from Amazon. They work pretty well after the first 10 bristles fall out.
I've bought a pile of their chip brushes, foam brushes, and nitrile
gloves. The latter came in handy about a year ago.

I stock up on their nitrile gloves, especially the 5 mil (light blue), usually 3-4
boxes at a time when they go on sale. I've always got at least 1 box of the
7 & 9 mil on hand too.

I use the 5 mil for finishing, working on the cars, working with meat, etc.
I often wear them under my winter gloves when working outside. I can take
my gloves off and my hands stay warm for short tasks when I need a little
fineness. The same for when I'm raking wet leaves on a cold November day.

I'm glad I stocked up before Covid hit. They used to be in the $5/box range.
Now they are $18. HF has the same words on a sign in the stores as they
do on the website:

"Nitrile glove prices are up and supplies are low because of a worldwide
raw material shortage. Our profit margin has NOT changed and you can
be sure that when costs decrease so will our prices."

Luckily I still have 1 1/2 boxes of the $5 kind. In most cases, I get multiple
uses out of a single pair. I put on 6 coats of wipe-on poly and only used 1 pair.
Pull them off by the cuff so that they end up inside out. Let the perspiration
dry, turn them right side out, and they are good for another finishing session.
At current prices, I'm not about to throw them away after getting a little poly
on them.

Hummmm our local store must have not gotten the message. I got my HF
gloves at the old regular price last year. But yeah, looking at the web
site they have tippled in price.

Do you remember when last year? Maybe they had stock left. If they are true
to their word about "profit margins" they wouldn't have raised their price until
the cheaper inventory was sold out. I don't know when my local store put up
the "profit margin" sign because I haven't shopped for gloves in a long time.
I just happened to see the sign while I was in the store for some other items.

Think of how many new customers HF may have picked up in the last year
due to those gloves! The answer could be "none", but I doubt it.

Not many here. They didn't have any. Like others here, I bought
bunches anytime they were on sale. I even gave some away to people who
needed them more, a year or so ago. I don't really know who they went
to because my wife's church was collecting PPE for groups unknown.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 7 Mar 2021 10:24:15 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Sunday, March 7, 2021 at 11:27:52 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 3/7/2021 10:18 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sunday, March 7, 2021 at 10:52:14 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 3/6/2021 5:48 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

I used to use the flux brushed for glue but switched to the silicone
glue brushes that Wood Craft sells. Yellow tip, Black handle.

I bought 2 and have been using the first one for 10 plus years. And
Yes I saw the second one yesterday. LOL

Easy to remove the glue if you for get to wash it out.

Might work pretty good for plumbing flux too. Disposable brushes are nice,
but it just feels like such a waste when you're only doing two joints.

I'll have to look for those. How much does the silicone flex?

Puckdropper

Quite a bit. They have approximately 30 little fingers that are about
3/4" long.

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/s...e-glue-brush-1

Silicone is the latest rage in cookware. I have a couple of brushes like
yours for basting, buttering, etc. We also have some spatulas, stirring
spoons, etc. We haven't tried any of the muffin tins or cake/loaf pans, but
I keep thinking about it. I see them used on the cooking competition
shows all the time. The food items just pop right out, like a ice from
a plastic ice cube tray.

Well for baking silicone has been around for quite a while, at least
10~15 years. I bought my wife silicone muffin tins, bread pans. She
pretty much hates them. So they tend to break down and become sticky
over a period of time. What ever is oozing out is oozing out in high
temperatures into your food.

I just picked up a couple computer mice that had been in a drawer for
a few years. The "rubber" over-mold is about as gooey as the gum
under a third-rate diner table.

Are you talking about 15 YO muffin tins or modern day muffin tins?

Compounds have probably improved.

All aluminum pots were quite the rage for a while, due to how quickly and
evenly they heated up. Now they still use aluminum as the core, but they
clad it in safer materials, materials that don't react with food.

I bought my wife a set of cookware that has a copper core stainless
cookware. They were $$$$ but she loves them. We've had time for over
ten years now, and they look and work like new. No more cookware fads
for her.

Non-stick cookware went from Teflon to ceramic. That will probably change
over time too.

If you call NOW, you can get a SECOND set for only the cost of
shipping and handling.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

Quite a bit. They have approximately 30 little fingers that are about
3/4" long.

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/s...e-glue-brush-1

I've got those things for cooking. It's great for applying butter as you
cook shrimp on the grill. (The guy who invented the reverse sear? He
deserves the Nobel Prize.)

I'd have thought they'd be too flexible for controlling the amount of glue
you put in a project.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/6/2021 10:51 AM, Leon wrote:
On 3/5/2021 3:36 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

https://www.harborfreight.com/search...al%20machinery

They even carry leg sets. ;-)

https://www.harborfreight.com/29-inc...and-95128.html

Well what could go wrong with a steel stand?Â* I might buy one of those
if I needed one.Â* ;~)

Personally you couldn't give me one of those stands.
If you're a woodworker, particularly a hobbyist with limited space, why
not build your own?

They start off wrong because they have no storage, so waste whatever
space they use. Build a wood cabinet for your stationary tools, fit it
with drawers/shelves and you are good to go, and you have more space to
store all that stuff...
--
Jack
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/6/2021 10:55 AM, Leon wrote:

I buy HF brand glue brushes from Amazon.Â* They work pretty well after
the first 10 bristles fall out.

I used to use the flux brushed for glue but switched to the silicone
glue brushes that Wood Craft sells.Â* Yellow tip, Black handle.

I bought 2 and have been using the first one for 10 plus years.Â* And Yes
I saw the second one yesterday.Â* LOL

Easy to remove the glue if you for get to wash it out.

Same, except I don't clean mine out. I leave it packed with glue, so
when it dries, it comes off easily and cleanly in one little glob.

It's OK to clean it but small amounts left between the bristles is hard
to clean, and it defeats the purpose of the silicone brush. Might as
well use a flux or chip brush if your gonna clean it.

--
Jack
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/6/2021 10:59 AM, Leon wrote:

Hummmm our local store must have not gotten the message.Â* I got my HF
gloves at the old regular price last year.Â* But yeah, looking at the web
site they have tippled in price.

Have you priced lumber lately?

Just went to HD and 2x4x8 is almost $7. Oak, Maple and cherry around $20
a board foot, walnut $32/ft.

Several years ago I bought an Oak board for a door I was making and it
cost $4.something a foot. The cashier advised me the price was per
foot, not for the whole board, which was 14 ft long. I knew that but
apparently lots of people thought the price marked was per board, not
per foot...

Wonder how they like it now?

The two giant Oak tree's in my front yard are starting to look delicious...

With the USSA $30+ TRILLION in dept, and a communist administration, you
best stock up on commodities, cause cash is soon to be worthless....
--
Jack
Welcome to the Banana Republic of the USSA.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/8/2021 10:26 AM, Jack wrote:
On 3/6/2021 10:59 AM, Leon wrote:

Hummmm our local store must have not gotten the message.Â* I got my HF
gloves at the old regular price last year.Â* But yeah, looking at the
web site they have tippled in price.

Have you priced lumber lately?

Just went to HD and 2x4x8 is almost $7. Oak, Maple and cherry around $20
a board foot, walnut $32/ft.

Several years ago I bought an Oak board for a door I was making and it
cost $4.something a foot.Â* The cashier advised me the price was per
foot, not for the whole board, which was 14 ft long.Â* I knew that but
apparently lots of people thought the price marked was per board, not
per foot...

Wonder how they like it now?

The two giant Oak tree's in my front yard are starting to look delicious...

With the USSA $30+ TRILLION in dept, and a communist administration, you
best stock up on commodities, cause cash is soon to be worthless....

Don't worry about it, Slow Jo says he is going to end child poverty just
like Lyndon Johnson "War On Poverty" did in the 50 years ago. Remember
how successful that democrat policy was?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/8/2021 9:04 AM, Jack wrote:
On 3/6/2021 10:51 AM, Leon wrote:
On 3/5/2021 3:36 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

https://www.harborfreight.com/search...al%20machinery

They even carry leg sets. ;-)

https://www.harborfreight.com/29-inc...and-95128.html

Well what could go wrong with a steel stand?Â* I might buy one of those
if I needed one.Â* ;~)

Personally you couldn't give me one of those stands.
If you're a woodworker, particularly a hobbyist with limited space, why
not build your own?

Not be argumentative but the materials to build one, coupled with the
time to make it is probably going to cost me more than the HF model.

They start off wrong because they have no storage, so waste whatever
space they use. Build a wood cabinet for your stationary tools, fit it
with drawers/shelves and you are good to go, and you have more space to
store all that stuff...

There is that! ;~) Although I lay a piece of plywood on top of the
lower braces/supports.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/7/2021 5:37 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sunday, March 7, 2021 at 6:02:13 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 3/7/2021 12:24 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Well since she had the bad luck she has not bought any more hoping that
it got better.

Compounds have probably improved.

Maybe but they are still silicone unlike the examples you mentioned below.

On the other hand, it's possible that one might confuse a sticky residue from the
food with the breakdown of the silicone. Like I said, I've not tried any silicone
bakeware, so this may not be what you and the missus have experienced. I can
say that I have experienced sticky residue on metal cookware over time.

No, the silicone bakeware was put up clean and developed this
deteriorating sticky goo sitting in the dark of the cabinet.
Trying to clean that goo off damaged the surface.

I have a similar situation on a small space heater and Logitech radio in
my garage.

Both have silicone coated control knobs and over time the surface has
deteriorated and become sticky. Obviously not the same exact product
but both and the bake ware exhibited the same deterioration in different
environments.

The sticky stuff was not a build up.

The below explanations do not address the material breaking down over
time, as the knobs on my space heater and radio exhibited.

From: https://www.united-silicones.com/blo...cone-bakeware/

"However, there is one drawback that many people have found with using silicone
bakeware. Sticky film can begin to build up over time. ... Oil and grease that has
been baked onto the surface of the bakeware over time builds up when used at
high temperatures.

and from: https://www.cleanipedia.com/gb/kitch...-bakeware.html

"What is the sticky residue on silicone bakeware?

Youve baked a delicious cake in your silicone cake pan, youve popped the cake onto the
cooling rack, and youve washed the cake tin€¦ yet it still doesnt feel clean. Why? Silicone
is designed to be non-stick, which makes it an excellent choice for baking cakes and
muffins, but its these non-stick properties that make cleaning silicone a bit tricky. The
bakeware is non-stick because it doesnt absorb any oils or grease €“ it leaves them on
the surface, which helps foods to simply lift out of the pan with the slickness of the oil.
The oils cling to the silicone, which means that even after washing, a small amount of
grease may remain, which causes a tacky, almost sticky feel."

Both sites offer tips on the proper cleaning of silicone bakeware.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

This is exactly what I am talking about. Ambient room temperature being
the relative constant and the silicone breaks down on its own.
Oddly, the silicone brush and small silicone container have not
exhibited this condition.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/8/2021 2:58 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

Quite a bit. They have approximately 30 little fingers that are about
3/4" long.

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/s...e-glue-brush-1

I've got those things for cooking. It's great for applying butter as you
cook shrimp on the grill. (The guy who invented the reverse sear? He
deserves the Nobel Prize.)

I'd have thought they'd be too flexible for controlling the amount of glue
you put in a project.

Puckdropper

Well there are those made for cooking and for applying glue. My wife
has the cooking ones for applying sauces on the grill. The fingers are
longer.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/8/2021 9:11 AM, Jack wrote:
On 3/6/2021 10:55 AM, Leon wrote:

I buy HF brand glue brushes from Amazon.Â* They work pretty well after
the first 10 bristles fall out.

I used to use the flux brushed for glue but switched to the silicone
glue brushes that Wood Craft sells.Â* Yellow tip, Black handle.

I bought 2 and have been using the first one for 10 plus years.Â* And
Yes I saw the second one yesterday.Â* LOL

Easy to remove the glue if you for get to wash it out.

Same, except I don't clean mine out.Â* I leave it packed with glue, so
when it dries, it comes off easily and cleanly in one little glob.

I try to clean mine out, relative effortless under running water. But
some times I forget and have to remove the excess. BUT the glue needs
to dry for several days down here in humid Texas. So it is a bit more
troublesome to clean the next day. And over time 10 + years removing
the dried glue has resulted in a few missing fingers.

It's OK to clean it but small amounts left between the bristles is hard
to clean, and it defeats the purpose of the silicone brush. Might as
well use a flux or chip brush if your gonna clean it.

I clean the silicone thoroughly, about 10 ~15 seconds. The flux brushes
rust over night, from the glue or water used to clean the glue out. And
then I got flakes of rust and loose hairs. I used the flux brushes for
many many years, longer than the silicone brushes. When the silicone
come out I found that they clean easier before the glue dries and the
cleaning when still uncured/wet was faster than removing the dried glue.
Removing the dried glue is interesting to get a perfect reverse mold
but I would rather clean when wet vs dry. And cleaning wet does not
result in the occasional finger breaking off with the dried glue.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/8/2021 9:26 AM, Jack wrote:
On 3/6/2021 10:59 AM, Leon wrote:

Hummmm our local store must have not gotten the message.Â* I got my HF
gloves at the old regular price last year.Â* But yeah, looking at the
web site they have tippled in price.

Have you priced lumber lately?

Yes, I have pretty much been steady with jobs since last summer. There
was a big lull after the Harvey floods. I was not going to build at
insurance rates.

Just went to HD and 2x4x8 is almost $7. Oak, Maple and cherry around $20
a board foot, walnut $32/ft.

I do not buy hardwoods from HD, Lowes, or the like.
But yes some lumber has increased in price drastically.
I have seen a price increase in hardwood veneered plywoods, but not a
great increase. I have not seen a price increase with 1/2" Baltic birch
plywood, 5x5. Still just $22.95.
I have not seen a price increase with solid red oak, but white oak is
almost double red oak prices. White oak used to be about 25% more
expensive than red oak.

Several years ago I bought an Oak board for a door I was making and it
cost $4.something a foot.Â* The cashier advised me the price was per
foot, not for the whole board, which was 14 ft long.Â* I knew that but
apparently lots of people thought the price marked was per board, not
per foot...

So red oak S4S 1 x 8 is about $3.65 per LF now.
White Oak S4S 1 x 10, 25% wider than the
1 x 8 mentioned above is $6.95 per LF.

Apples to apples, the red and white oak use to only differ about $1. per
LF in 1x8 a few years ago. About double that difference now.

Wonder how they like it now?

The two giant Oak tree's in my front yard are starting to look delicious...

With the USSA $30+ TRILLION in dept, and a communist administration, you
best stock up on commodities, cause cash is soon to be worthless....

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack writes:
On 3/6/2021 10:51 AM, Leon wrote:
On 3/5/2021 3:36 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

https://www.harborfreight.com/search...al%20machinery

They even carry leg sets. ;-)

https://www.harborfreight.com/29-inc...and-95128.html

Well what could go wrong with a steel stand?Â* I might buy one of those
if I needed one.Â* ;~)

Personally you couldn't give me one of those stands.
If you're a woodworker, particularly a hobbyist with limited space, why
not build your own?

They start off wrong because they have no storage, so waste whatever
space they use.

For which all you need is a wooden base with castors. Bolt the
steel stand to the base, slap some 1/4" plywood on three sides
of the steel stand and you have a storage compartment.

I've repurposed several stands in a similar fashion.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack writes:
On 3/6/2021 10:59 AM, Leon wrote:

Hummmm our local store must have not gotten the message.Â* I got my HF
gloves at the old regular price last year.Â* But yeah, looking at the web
site they have tippled in price.

Have you priced lumber lately?

Just went to HD and 2x4x8 is almost $7. Oak, Maple and cherry around $20
a board foot, walnut $32/ft.

What woodworker buys hardwoods from HD or Lowes? Crappy lumber
priced by the linear foot. Much rather buy by the board foot
at a real lumber yard with a much wider (pun intended) selection.
Posted to rec.woodworking

knuttle writes:

like Lyndon Johnson "War On Poverty" did in the 50 years ago. Remember=20
how successful that democrat policy was?

Yes, I do remember. It was quite successful in bringing large numbers
of Americans out of poverty.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/8/2021 11:02 AM, Leon wrote:
On 3/8/2021 9:04 AM, Jack wrote:
On 3/6/2021 10:51 AM, Leon wrote:
On 3/5/2021 3:36 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

https://www.harborfreight.com/search...al%20machinery

They even carry leg sets. ;-)

https://www.harborfreight.com/29-inc...and-95128.html

Well what could go wrong with a steel stand?Â* I might buy one of
those if I needed one.Â* ;~)

Personally you couldn't give me one of those stands.
If you're a woodworker, particularly a hobbyist with limited space,
why not build your own?

Not be argumentative but the materials to build one, coupled with the
time to make it is probably going to cost me more than the HF model.

Ya gets what you pay for. If you can't afford a few construction grade
2x's to build a tool stand/cabinet, then you probably can't afford to do
much in your shop other than stare at your tools.

I understand a commercial shop might have a lots of space, and little
time to waste not producing money items, but that applies to few, if any
in this newsgroup.

They start off wrong because they have no storage, so waste whatever
space they use. Build a wood cabinet for your stationary tools, fit it
with drawers/shelves and you are good to go, and you have more space
to store all that stuff...

There is that!Â* ;~)Â* Although I lay a piece of plywood on top of the
lower braces/supports.

--
Jack
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/8/2021 11:39 AM, Leon wrote:
On 3/8/2021 9:26 AM, Jack wrote:

Just went to HD and 2x4x8 is almost $7. Oak, Maple and cherry around
$20 a board foot, walnut $32/ft.

I do not buy hardwoods from HD, Lowes, or the like.
But yes some lumber has increased in price drastically.
I have seen a price increase in hardwood veneered plywoods, but not a
great increase.Â* I have not seen a price increase with 1/2" Baltic birch
plywood, 5x5.Â* Still just $22.95.
I have not seen a price increase with solid red oak, but white oak is
almost double red oak prices.Â* White oak used to be about 25% more
expensive than red oak.

I probably should have noted that my HD only sells premium hard wood. #1
clear select. Lumber yards, if you have any left near you sell multiple
grades and lower prices. Here is where I got my HD prices today:

https://tinyurl.com/kf89zc87

or if you must:

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Lumber-C...tialmax&NCNI-5

Oak, Maple, Cherry and Walnut grow like weeds in PA. At these prices the
state should be bald in the near future. I don't know what lumber yards
charge for this stuff, all the ones that used to surround me have
closed, along with tons of hardware stores.

I wouldn't doubt our commie government will soon require a government
license to buy, grow, cut, use or burn any sort of wood and be a union
member with papers verifying you had your shots before even thinking
about it.

Several years ago I bought an Oak board for a door I was making and it
cost $4.something a foot.Â* The cashier advised me the price was per
foot, not for the whole board, which was 14 ft long.Â* I knew that but
apparently lots of people thought the price marked was per board, not
per foot...

So red oak S4S 1 x 8 is about $3.65 per LF now.
White Oak S4S 1 x 10, 25% wider than the
1 x 8 mentioned above is $6.95 per LF.

Apples to apples, the red and white oak use to only differ about $1. per
LF in 1x8 a few years ago.Â* About double that difference now.

Wonder how they like it now?

The two giant Oak tree's in my front yard are starting to look
delicious...

With the USSA $30+ TRILLION in dept, and a communist administration,
you best stock up on commodities, cause cash is soon to be worthless....

--
Jack
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/8/2021 12:17 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Jack writes:
On 3/6/2021 10:51 AM, Leon wrote:
On 3/5/2021 3:36 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

https://www.harborfreight.com/search...al%20machinery

They even carry leg sets. ;-)

https://www.harborfreight.com/29-inc...and-95128.html

Well what could go wrong with a steel stand?ÂÂ* I might buy one of those
if I needed one.ÂÂ* ;~)

Personally you couldn't give me one of those stands.
If you're a woodworker, particularly a hobbyist with limited space, why
not build your own?

They start off wrong because they have no storage, so waste whatever
space they use.

For which all you need is a wooden base with castors. Bolt the
steel stand to the base, slap some 1/4" plywood on three sides
of the steel stand and you have a storage compartment.

I've repurposed several stands in a similar fashion.

That's WAY below my standards, and my standards ain't all that high.
Anyway, what's the point of 3 sides? Just stack your crap on the
base/bottom shelf?

--
Jack

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/8/2021 12:20 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Jack writes:
On 3/6/2021 10:59 AM, Leon wrote:

Hummmm our local store must have not gotten the message.ÂÂ* I got my HF
gloves at the old regular price last year.ÂÂ* But yeah, looking at the web
site they have tippled in price.

Have you priced lumber lately?

Just went to HD and 2x4x8 is almost $7. Oak, Maple and cherry around $20
a board foot, walnut $32/ft.

What woodworker buys hardwoods from HD or Lowes? Crappy lumber
priced by the linear foot. Much rather buy by the board foot
at a real lumber yard with a much wider (pun intended) selection.

I bought one oak board at HD because it was easy and close, and I was
there. To travel to a yard that actually had that one board I needed
would not have saved me much, if anything. Thanks for wondering though.

The board was primo, not "crappy" at all. What makes you say it was
crappy? I think (know) you are making that up. 50 years of building
cabinets I know what "crappy" lumber is, and this wasn't it.

--
Jack
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/8/2021 12:25 PM, Jack wrote:
On 3/8/2021 11:39 AM, Leon wrote:
On 3/8/2021 9:26 AM, Jack wrote:

[...]

So I have looked at the hardwoods at HD but the pricing is about double
what I pay. So I do not buy there.

Oak, Maple, Cherry and Walnut grow like weeds in PA. At these prices the
state should be bald in the near future.Â* I don't know what lumber yards
charge for this stuff, all the ones that used to surround me have
closed, along with tons of hardware stores.

There is plenty of oak down here, not so much cherry or walnut. The
suppliers that I go to really do not handle construction grade
materials. They cater to the trades/woodworkers.

I wouldn't doubt our commie government will soon require a government
license to buy, grow, cut, use or burn any sort of wood and be a union
member with papers verifying you had your shots before even thinking
about it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/8/2021 11:20 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Jack writes:
On 3/6/2021 10:59 AM, Leon wrote:

Hummmm our local store must have not gotten the message.Â* I got my HF
gloves at the old regular price last year.Â* But yeah, looking at the web
site they have tippled in price.

Have you priced lumber lately?

Just went to HD and 2x4x8 is almost $7. Oak, Maple and cherry around $20
a board foot, walnut $32/ft.

What woodworker buys hardwoods from HD or Lowes? Crappy lumber
priced by the linear foot. Much rather buy by the board foot
at a real lumber yard with a much wider (pun intended) selection.

I'm hoping Maple, cherry around $20 a board foot was a type-o. Same for
walnut.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/8/2021 12:21 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
knuttle writes:

like Lyndon Johnson "War On Poverty" did in the 50 years ago. Remember=20
how successful that democrat policy was?

Yes, I do remember. It was quite successful in bringing large numbers
of Americans out of poverty.

It was certainly successful in destroying the black community, something
Johnson himself knew would happen. If you think living on welfare and
food stamps is living "out of poverty" you are dead wrong!

It was worth it though, because the black community suddenly needed the
commies in power to survive, or so they were led to believe. They are
applying the same socialist techniques to the rest of the country as we
speak, and doing quite well. Soon, we'll ALL be living "out of poverty"

--
Jack
Welcome to the Banana Republic of the USSA!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/8/2021 11:52 AM, Jack wrote:
On 3/8/2021 11:02 AM, Leon wrote:
On 3/8/2021 9:04 AM, Jack wrote:
On 3/6/2021 10:51 AM, Leon wrote:
On 3/5/2021 3:36 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

https://www.harborfreight.com/search...al%20machinery

They even carry leg sets. ;-)

https://www.harborfreight.com/29-inc...and-95128.html

Well what could go wrong with a steel stand?Â* I might buy one of
those if I needed one.Â* ;~)

Personally you couldn't give me one of those stands.
If you're a woodworker, particularly a hobbyist with limited space,
why not build your own?

Not be argumentative but the materials to build one, coupled with the
time to make it is probably going to cost me more than the HF model.

Ya gets what you pay for. If you can't afford a few construction grade
2x's to build a tool stand/cabinet, then you probably can't afford to do
much in your shop other than stare at your tools.

Quite the contrary. As I tell my customers, don't worry about the
materials cost, it is the labor that is expensive. If you want a
premium wood vs. stained red oak, the price difference in the finished
product will not be that much percentage wise.

I understand a commercial shop might have a lots of space, and little
time to waste not producing money items, but that applies to few, if any
in this newsgroup.

Well I am not production 100% of the time but still try not to spend my
building time on things that eat into money making time. I get what you
are saying but I would build the stand with furniture grade materials
vs, construction grade materials. I would end up milling the 2x's stock
into 1x. And I would prefer a hardwood vs, spruce, pine, or fir.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack writes:
On 3/6/2021 10:59 AM, Leon wrote:

Hummmm our local store must have not gotten the message.Â* I got my HF
gloves at the old regular price last year.Â* But yeah, looking at the
web
site they have tippled in price.
Have you priced lumber lately?

Just went to HD and 2x4x8 is almost $7. Oak, Maple and cherry around $20
a board foot, walnut $32/ft.

What woodworker buys hardwoods from HD or Lowes?Â*Â* Crappy lumber
priced by the linear foot.Â*Â* Much rather buy by the board foot
at a real lumber yard with a much wider (pun intended) selection.

I'm hoping Maple, cherry around $20 a board foot was a type-o.Â* Same for
walnut.

Not a typo, I posted the link to my HD store, did you look?

I wouldn't mind a link to where you buy your #1 select maple or cherry
for half that price. Not saying I don't believe you but it's interesting
for sure. I myself had NO idea lumber has gotten this expensive.

Does this stuff even grow in Texas? I thought live oak, whatever that
is, is what was growing down there. They used that for boat hulls in
the distant past, to stop canon balls, right.

I only got into this because I saw a local guy on YouTube cutting up oak
and cherry for firewood, and he OWNS a nice sawmill... He said he only
mills hardwood 21" and over for lumber. I think he got a zillion folks
telling him he was a fool. He owns a 100 acres of woods, so he has a lot
of raw product for lumber and firewood. He sells firewood, and I'll bet
sooner or later he'll be selling lots of lumber, and little firewood,
and sooner than later..

--
Jack
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 8 Mar 2021 10:14:45 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 3/8/2021 2:58 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

Quite a bit. They have approximately 30 little fingers that are about
3/4" long.

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/s...e-glue-brush-1

I've got those things for cooking. It's great for applying butter as you
cook shrimp on the grill. (The guy who invented the reverse sear? He
deserves the Nobel Prize.)

I'd have thought they'd be too flexible for controlling the amount of glue
you put in a project.

Puckdropper

Well there are those made for cooking and for applying glue. My wife
has the cooking ones for applying sauces on the grill. The fingers are
longer.

You don't use the same ones? I saw one drying by the kitchen sink
earlier. I though, "humm... nah".
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 8 Mar 2021 12:52:27 -0500, Jack wrote:

On 3/8/2021 11:02 AM, Leon wrote:
On 3/8/2021 9:04 AM, Jack wrote:
On 3/6/2021 10:51 AM, Leon wrote:
On 3/5/2021 3:36 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

https://www.harborfreight.com/search...al%20machinery

They even carry leg sets. ;-)

https://www.harborfreight.com/29-inc...and-95128.html

Well what could go wrong with a steel stand?* I might buy one of
those if I needed one.* ;~)

Personally you couldn't give me one of those stands.
If you're a woodworker, particularly a hobbyist with limited space,
why not build your own?

Not be argumentative but the materials to build one, coupled with the
time to make it is probably going to cost me more than the HF model.

Ya gets what you pay for. If you can't afford a few construction grade
2x's to build a tool stand/cabinet, then you probably can't afford to do
much in your shop other than stare at your tools.

I understand a commercial shop might have a lots of space, and little
time to waste not producing money items, but that applies to few, if any
in this newsgroup.

Well, I have little time because I'm still employed but I have all the
space I need. I have about 2000ft^2 of unfinished basement. ;-)

I have enough room that none of the tools has to be moved. I do move
the lunchbox planer and drum sander to get them closer to the dust
collector.

They start off wrong because they have no storage, so waste whatever
space they use. Build a wood cabinet for your stationary tools, fit it
with drawers/shelves and you are good to go, and you have more space
to store all that stuff...

There is that!* ;~)* Although I lay a piece of plywood on top of the
lower braces/supports.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack writes:
On 3/6/2021 10:51 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

So you can stack more crap without it falling on the floor, of course.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/8/2021 11:21 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
knuttle writes:

like Lyndon Johnson "War On Poverty" did in the 50 years ago. Remember=20
how successful that democrat policy was?

Yes, I do remember. It was quite successful in bringing large numbers
of Americans out of poverty.

But how many did it raise out of poverty in such a manner than they
became self-supporting, productive members of society vs. those "raised"
out of poverty by increased government handouts which continued to
increase to maintain the fallacy that they are out of poverty?

I believe that there is a place for welfare but there must be a
concurrent effort to get people off the dole and become productive.
That doesn't appear to be in the politicians agenda. Keep them
beholden, keep them voting (for me) seems to be the goal.

The bright line test for eligibility for welfare is in itself a
deterrent to self sufficiency. They put the people on welfare and then
cut them off completely when they get $XXXX in income. Would it not
incentivize the majority to GRADUALLY trim back the welfare payments as
they gain self-sufficiency to encourage them to earn more without fear
of losing all their government support at once.

All they've done is create generations wholly dependent on the dole with
little interest in getting ahead. "I need more money, send the baby
daddy around to impregnate me and let's hope for twins this time!"

Just to keep it somewhat on topic, government's handling of this makes
me want to grab a 2 x and lay it up along someone's head!

Posted to rec.woodworking

knuttle writes:

[...]

I've always felt that the system should be set up so that you're
_always_ better off if you work.
Posted to rec.woodworking

knuttle writes:

like Lyndon Johnson "War On Poverty" did in the 50 years ago. Remember=20
how successful that democrat policy was?

Yes, I do remember. It was quite successful in bringing large numbers
of Americans out of poverty.

It was certainly successful in destroying the black community, something
Johnson himself knew would happen. If you think living on welfare and
food stamps is living "out of poverty" you are dead wrong!

It was worth it though, because the black community suddenly needed the
commies in power to survive, or so they were led to believe.

+1
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/9f/64/04/9f6404b1f059ab934f72c9988b7a15ea--democratic-party-american-presidents.jpg

Posted to rec.woodworking

knuttle writes:

like Lyndon Johnson "War On Poverty" did in the 50 years ago. Remember=20
how successful that democrat policy was?

Yes, I do remember. It was quite successful in bringing large numbers
of Americans out of poverty.

It was certainly successful in destroying the black community, something
Johnson himself knew would happen. If you think living on welfare and
food stamps is living "out of poverty" you are dead wrong!

It was worth it though, because the black community suddenly needed the
commies in power to survive, or so they were led to believe.

+1
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/9f/64/04/9f6404b1f059ab934f72c9988b7a15ea--democratic-party-american-presidents.jpg

According to official figures that do _not_ count food stamps or
welfare as income, the poverty rate fell from about 22.5% to 11.2%
between 1959 and 1974.

The trouble is that it hasn't fallen much more since, despite
government spending on poverty programs going from 100 billion in 1974
to over 500 billion in 2011.

Clearly that extra 400 billion isn't going anywhere that actually
helps people and we as a society should be trying to find out why.
Posted to rec.woodworking

knuttle writes:

[...]

Are you doing anything to be part of that "we"?

I, admittedly, am not.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/8/2021 1:56 PM, Leon wrote:
On 3/8/2021 11:52 AM, Jack wrote:
On 3/8/2021 11:02 AM, Leon wrote:
On 3/8/2021 9:04 AM, Jack wrote:
On 3/6/2021 10:51 AM, Leon wrote:
On 3/5/2021 3:36 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

https://www.harborfreight.com/search...al%20machinery

They even carry leg sets. ;-)

https://www.harborfreight.com/29-inc...and-95128.html

Well what could go wrong with a steel stand?Â* I might buy one of
those if I needed one.Â* ;~)

Personally you couldn't give me one of those stands.
If you're a woodworker, particularly a hobbyist with limited space,
why not build your own?

Not be argumentative but the materials to build one, coupled with the
time to make it is probably going to cost me more than the HF model.

Ya gets what you pay for. If you can't afford a few construction grade
2x's to build a tool stand/cabinet, then you probably can't afford to
do much in your shop other than stare at your tools.

Quite the contrary.Â* As I tell my customers, don't worry about the
materials cost, it is the labor that is expensive.Â* If you want a
premium wood vs. stained red oak, the price difference in the finished
product will not be that much percentage wise.

You mentioned the material cost and time to build one, so you are being
argumentative, with yourself.

I understand a commercial shop might have a lots of space, and little
time to waste not producing money items, but that applies to few, if
any in this newsgroup.

Well I am not production 100% of the time but still try not to spend my
building time on things that eat into money making time.Â* I get what you
are saying but I would build the stand with furniture grade materials
vs, construction grade materials.Â* I would end up milling the 2x's stock
into 1x.Â* And I would prefer a hardwood vs, spruce, pine, or fir.

Not to be argumentative, but I personally like the looks of varnished
pine for all my stands and work benches. Furniture grade cabinets in a
workshop just look wrong. I would not want an oak or cherry lathe stand,
or BS stand. Expensive hardwood looks out of place in a shop, to me. The
first thing I built in my shop was a work bench. Made it out of #4 pine
sheathing they sold cheap for roofs. Still looks great 50 years later
and all the drawers work as good as the day I built it. I learned a ton
building it as well, and everything a built subsequently benefited from
doing it.

To each their own I reckon.

Anyway hobbyist like pervade this group are not earning a living with
their shop, they are in it for the enjoyment. From what I read here,
most would benefit a good deal by building their own stuff rather than
buying cheap ass metal junk, and they could enjoy their work forever.

Regardless, cheap metal stands like they sell at HF suck, imnsho.
--
Jack

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/8/2021 11:02 AM, Leon wrote:
On 3/8/2021 9:04 AM, Jack wrote:
On 3/6/2021 10:51 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

You just need to get some more "flex" hose. LOL. I use a single 30'
flex hose.

They start off wrong because they have no storage, so waste whatever
space they use. Build a wood cabinet for your stationary tools, fit it
with drawers/shelves and you are good to go, and you have more space
to store all that stuff...

There is that!Â* ;~)Â* Although I lay a piece of plywood on top of the
lower braces/supports.

Posted to rec.woodworking

knuttle writes:

like Lyndon Johnson "War On Poverty" did in the 50 years ago. Remember=20
how successful that democrat policy was?

Yes, I do remember. It was quite successful in bringing large numbers
of Americans out of poverty.

It was certainly successful in destroying the black community, something
Johnson himself knew would happen. If you think living on welfare and
food stamps is living "out of poverty" you are dead wrong!

Breaking up the black family. Well, that's _exactly_ what the left
wants now, too, except every family. BLM *is* the Democratic party.

It was worth it though, because the black community suddenly needed the
commies in power to survive, or so they were led to believe. They are
applying the same socialist techniques to the rest of the country as we
speak, and doing quite well. Soon, we'll ALL be living "out of poverty"

Yep. Soon we'll all be living off the scraps the elite leave us.
French Revolution anyone?

Its a vicious cycle. The Dem's promise minimum wage increaces and
government help to "get that vote".

Then the Dem's move forward and spend money on government help and
employers increase minimum wage.

Then prices go up to pay for minimum wage increases. Then people get
laid off. Then the government has to provide more help.

All of that leads to inflation, more money is printed and the dollar
does what it has been doing for the past 50 years.

Then the Dem's move forward and spend money on government help and
employers increase minimum wage.

And then prices go up to pay for minimum wage increases. Then people
get laid off. Then the government has to provide more help.

All of that leads to inflation, more money is printed and the dollar
does what it has been doing for the past 50 years.

And then the Dem's move forward and spend money on government help and
employers increase minimum wage.

Then prices go up to pay for minimum wage increases. Then people get
laid off. Then the government has to provide more help.

All of that leads to inflation, more money is printed and the dollar
does what it has been doing for the past 50 years.

If you like where this is headed, keep voting Democratic.

Posted to rec.woodworking

knuttle writes:

[...]

Welfare IS set up so you are better off if you work. They simply don't
report that they're working. IF they ever get caught cheating, NOTHING
is done to them, other than maybe adjusting their checks for the income.

Today, Government (We the People) is getting cheated out of BILLIONS
just on fraudulent UC claims, but they have been getting cheated out of
BILLIONS in Welfare, Food Stamp, and Medicaid fraud since Johnson came
up with this permanent source of voters.

If that wasn't enough, they let in millions of undocumented voters, and
just for good measure, they implemented massive voter fraud.

It's all worked out well, today we don't have a clue who our real
president is. We do know whomever is pulling it's strings is an
anti-American, anti-freedom, big government commie...

We the people have been out of the loop for a very long time, and there
isn't likely any road back. 1st and 2nd amendments are about toast. The
transformation is complete...
--
Jack
Welcome to the Banana Republic of the USSA.
Posted to rec.woodworking

knuttle writes:

like Lyndon Johnson "War On Poverty" did in the 50 years ago. Remember=20
how successful that democrat policy was?

Yes, I do remember. It was quite successful in bringing large numbers
of Americans out of poverty.

It was certainly successful in destroying the black community, something
Johnson himself knew would happen. If you think living on welfare and
food stamps is living "out of poverty" you are dead wrong!

It was worth it though, because the black community suddenly needed the
commies in power to survive, or so they were led to believe.

+1
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/9f/64/04/9f6404b1f059ab934f72c9988b7a15ea--democratic-party-american-presidents.jpg

++2
Johnson was a wise man, no?

Nixon, a socialist himself, was in government his entire life, was worth
$1/2 million when he became president, and worth the same when he left.
He was a crook. Johnson made $16 million whilst he was president earning
$200g/year, and he was simply a democrat.
--
Jack
Posted to rec.woodworking

knuttle writes:

like Lyndon Johnson "War On Poverty" did in the 50 years ago.
Remember=20
how successful that democrat policy was?

Yes, I do remember.Â* It was quite successful in bringing large numbers
of Americans out of poverty.
It was certainly successful in destroying the black community, something
Johnson himself knew would happen. If you think living on welfare and
food stamps is living "out of poverty" you are dead wrong!

It was worth it though, because the black community suddenly needed the
commies in power to survive, or so they were led to believe.

+1
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/9f/64/04/9f6404b1f059ab934f72c9988b7a15ea--democratic-party-american-presidents.jpg

++2
Johnson was a wise man, no?

Nixon, a socialist himself, was in government his entire life, was worth
$1/2 million when he became president, and worth the same when he left.
He was a crook. Johnson made $16 million whilst he was president earning
$200g/year, and he was simply a democrat.

And compared to today's politicians, Nixon was a Saint.