Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Central Machinery quality?

On Saturday, March 6, 2021 at 11:00:05 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 3/5/2021 11:00 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, March 5, 2021 at 10:48:20 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Fri, 5 Mar 2021 19:06:24 -0800 (PST), Bob D
wrote:

On Friday, March 5, 2021 at 3:37:02 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Do you not ever shop at Harbor Freight?

I buy HF brand glue brushes from Amazon. They work pretty well after the first 10 bristles fall out.
I've bought a pile of their chip brushes, foam brushes, and nitrile
gloves. The latter came in handy about a year ago.

I stock up on their nitrile gloves, especially the 5 mil (light blue), usually 3-4
boxes at a time when they go on sale. I've always got at least 1 box of the
7 & 9 mil on hand too.

I use the 5 mil for finishing, working on the cars, working with meat, etc.
I often wear them under my winter gloves when working outside. I can take
my gloves off and my hands stay warm for short tasks when I need a little
fineness. The same for when I'm raking wet leaves on a cold November day.

I'm glad I stocked up before Covid hit. They used to be in the $5/box range.
Now they are $18. HF has the same words on a sign in the stores as they
do on the website:

"Nitrile glove prices are up and supplies are low because of a worldwide
raw material shortage. Our profit margin has NOT changed and you can
be sure that when costs decrease so will our prices."

Luckily I still have 1 1/2 boxes of the $5 kind. In most cases, I get multiple
uses out of a single pair. I put on 6 coats of wipe-on poly and only used 1 pair.
Pull them off by the cuff so that they end up inside out. Let the perspiration
dry, turn them right side out, and they are good for another finishing session.
At current prices, I'm not about to throw them away after getting a little poly
on them.

Hummmm our local store must have not gotten the message. I got my HF
gloves at the old regular price last year. But yeah, looking at the web
site they have tippled in price.

Do you remember when last year? Maybe they had stock left. If they are true
to their word about "profit margins" they wouldn't have raised their price until
the cheaper inventory was sold out. I don't know when my local store put up
the "profit margin" sign because I haven't shopped for gloves in a long time.
I just happened to see the sign while I was in the store for some other items.

I remember looking for a hitch for my van last year. It was obvious who was
price gouging and who wasn't. eTrailer kept their price low for in-stock items
while other places jacked up their prices as soon as the factories shot down.
Once in-stock inventories were depleted, delivery dates were measured in terms
of months across the board which made it obvious that some actual sellers
were jacking up their prices on inventory already on hand.